• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Final Fantasy Thread

Years
    Maybe I'm just blind, but I don't see a FF thread around here. So, I will start my own. If I AM blind, please merge with the existing, and show me the way.

We all know what it is. Most of us have at least played one FF game in our lives. So lets here everyones story!

To start,

I was ten when FF7 came out. Like most when it first came out, I loved it so much.
    I was too stupid to realize that FF8 was not a sequel, so I stopped playing 8, skipped over 9, 10, and 11.

FF12 has been out for two years now? Well, I picked that up, and I'm about 30 mins from beating that.

And, like everyone has done once in their FF life, I'm going to attempt to play ALL FF games in order. Crazy, right?

THIS brings me to my point of looking for this thread. I need someone to tell me FF2 is worth playing. I am soo irritated with the leveling system, that I want to skip over this game completely. So, any help???

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
    I kinda liked the leveling system...
    But I can't figure out what to do, so oh well.
    Play FF2. Maybe it'll grow on you?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My first Final Fantasy game was actually X-2. XD; I'd gotten my PS2 for Kingdom Hearts a few months before and when I saw a Final Fantasy game at the rental store, I rented it thinking all of them were vague sequels of each other. So of course I'd managed to pick the one direct sequel in the series and was rather confused, but I thought it was a fun game nonetheless. So I did a bit of research, found out I needed to get X to make it make sense, and went out and bought that.

So my playing order was... X → X-2 → VII → VIII (never finished) → XII → III. I've played a few spinoffs in the series but those're the main games I've played. I also have IX but I plan to replay the PS1 games... sometime. So I'll get to it eventually. <_<

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    My favourite is still FF5.
    Hero starts off as a jobless bum with a Chocobo, saves the world, and is still a jobless bum with a Chocobo at the end... but with 3 girls, of course.

Master Jecht

Hmmm..
    Years
    The first FF i ever played was actaully 7 on a demo disk. It was fun so i bought it but i never could beat it because I was young and always got lost. The later I got a ps2 and FF10 and that was the first final fantasy i ever beat and my favorite one.

I have played, FF6, FF7,FF8 (Never finished I hated it), FF9, FF10, FF10-2

10 was by far the best imo.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Does Final Fantasy Tactics count? That was the first FF game I played. I wondered while I was playing if Square Enix was basing it off of my life...I have a paralyzed younger brother so the plot hit home in a huge way.

If you haven't played, the story is that this kid and his wheelchair-bound younger brother are transported to the magical land of Ivalice, where their flaws are more or less gone. The younger brother can walk, and the older brother finds attention that was normally given to his crippled sibling. The two then have to decide whether to stay in the illusion world of Ivalice and enjoy their improved conditions even though it's a lie, or try to get back to the real world even though they will revert back to normal.

Needless to say, the idea that I and my brother could lead a more normal life was very tantalizing. I still don't know whether I would have stayed in Ivalice or tried to get back home if I had been given the same opportunity.

Tyranitar.

The Reborn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2012
    Does Final Fantasy Tactics count? That was the first FF game I played. I wondered while I was playing if Square Enix was basing it off of my life...I have a paralyzed younger brother so the plot hit home in a huge way.

If you haven't played, the story is that this kid and his wheelchair-bound younger brother are transported to the magical land of Ivalice, where their flaws are more or less gone. The younger brother can walk, and the older brother finds attention that was normally given to his crippled sibling. The two then have to decide whether to stay in the illusion world of Ivalice and enjoy their improved conditions even though it's a lie, or try to get back to the real world even though they will revert back to normal.

Needless to say, the idea that I and my brother could lead a more normal life was very tantalizing. I still don't know whether I would have stayed in Ivalice or tried to get back home if I had been given the same opportunity.

I love that game! I have it. And I got the hero to lvl 50 Soldier with Double sword. And Mont Blanc is lvl 46 and I Got all the secret characters.

Years
    I haven't played a lot of FF games, between lack of money and having other games higher on my priorities list.

FFVII was my first, I think... but I got it years after it was released. I picked up FFVII, because I had a PS1, and, for the longest time, I heard everyone and their brother talking about how OMGAWESOME the game was. So, I decided to try it myself. The graphics took some getting used to, since I was used to the improved graphics of the PS2 and Gamecube, but I adjusted.
    It's an okay game. It's not my favorite game by any means (I've yet to beat it), but it's interesting enough. I suppose. I really have to be in the mood to play it. I have it again, though, so I'm hoping to beat it this year. Hoping.

FFX was one of the first games I ordered when we finally convinced my stepdad to buy a (new) PS2. I'd seen my stepbrother play it when we had one, and it looked fun, so I wanted to play it myself. I really like it. I'd say it's one of my favorite games. I've beaten it once, and I have two other files I'm goofing off with. I really love the battle and leveling system in the game. It's just awesome. :D;;

I ordered FFXII with... Christmas money, maybe? Can't remember... I liked X well enough, so why not? It... It took awhile for me to get into. The battle system is pretty fun, but it gets dull after awhile, and the plot didn't really interest me that much. Either I really want to play it, or I don't. But when I want to play it, I really want to. @_@;;

I picked up X-2 about a year ago because I was really curious about the plot of it. I didn't actually play it until spring semester, when I was super bored and had nothing else to play. I think it's my least favorite of them all at the moment. I guess the concept of changing classes in battle is interesting, but... I try playing it, and it's just kind of... ugh. It's really hard to explain what puts me off of it, but it's just not that entertaining. At least it has some pretty awesome wallpapers, though.

Favorites probably go X > VII = XII (can't pick one over the other) > X-2.

I need to play more FF games.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I downloaded the PC version of Final Fantasy VII a year or so ago. It was pretty fun from what I played, but I found it less enjoyable once I left Midgar and the badass steampunk aesthetic was just dropped entirely. I kept playing until around the time I got Vincent on my team and then I just sort of got bored.

I also own Final Fantasy III for the DS, which is neat and all, but I don't like that you can only save on the overworld map. It pretty much guarantees that you'll be doing every dungeon twice unless you use a walkthrough. I'm always running out of healing items or magic points because since I don't know the layout of the dungeon I don't know when I'm about to run into the boss.

sephiroth121

The Final Fantasy Fan
    Years
    I love Final fantasy 7 Check my signiture out
    Super~Sonic made it for me ask him for banners .
    any way i love FF7 and can't wair for FF13 for Xbox 360

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    X-2 was the very first Final Fantasy game I'd ever played and also the first time I had ever heard of the FF series. Because the game is so... girly, I, being me, thought that all FF games were like that. XD; There was a long time when I thought X-2 was the greatest game ever because I was narrow-minded and never bothered to try any other FF games.

So a year or so later, I decided to try X. I never knew that X-2 was a sequel to X until a long while after playing X-2, because I was such a noob. XD; After playing X, I realized how... terrible... X-2 was. I mean, it's not the worst game I've ever played - and because I liked it so much, I might pick it up and play through it again - but it's certainly not even close to my top ten.

A little while after that, I came across some images from Final Fantasy VII, which, to this day, is my favourite video game of all time. After finding out that the images were from FFVIII, I sought after more info about the game. I was instantly hooked by the FMV sequences, which were amazing for its time (almost ten years ago!), and still captivate me, even now. For some reason, the game was at my local EB Games... XD; Lucky me, I guess. I played it, and ended up falling in love with it, despite my never beating the game before, even now. I've spoiled the entire story from beginning to end for myself, but I still really want to beat the game.

Then I bought FFVII off eBay, caving into the massive... cult-following it had. At first, I must admit, I really hated the game. I guess it just started off slow for me or something. I decided to give it a second chance, and although I agree that it's a great game, it's not one of my personal favourites.

Spoiler:

My uncle bought me FFXII for Christmas last year; it was alright in the beginning but I got very lost in the plotline after a little while, I hated the gameplay and battle system (I couldn't get used to it at all), and I hated the characters even more. I haven't touched that game since, and I doubt I will for a while.

Otherwise, I haven't tried any other FF games. I just haven't gotten around to looking up any of them, and I don't play video games as often so it's not really on the top of my to-do list.

Years
    Saryka: You had the WORST first experience of final fantasy EVER I pitty you XD I mean fair enough if you liked it, but it is the worst of the Final Fantasy games and I personally didn't think it was of the Final Fantasy feel, but that might just be me.

Eitherway Final Fantasy VII is my all time favourite Final Fantasy game as well as over all top game in my books. It was the first playstation game I had played and though I had to wait a couple of year to actually be able to play it and understand it (I was a little too young when I first played it XP) I adored the game enough to play it countless times even to this day.

The characters were unique and creative, the story line was awesome and unlike most other Final fantasy's (excluding IX) it wasn't as if it was set too futeristic...which I personally hate. Of course it had elelments, I mean its a fantasy role play, but I hate (for example) Final Fantasy XII where they made everything look high tech (such as the air ships). I don't like the feeling they have brought into the games from X onwards.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm allways going to buy them in hopes that something will beat Final Fantasy VII for me and I did happen to enjoy Final Fantasy X, but the games are going down a horrible path for me.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    First game i bought was Final Fantasy 9. personally, i think its one of the best. easy level up and abilities, took a few tries to get everything in the game, even did a another file to go the excalibur 2 sword. that sword totally owned on steiner!

I got Final Fantasy X afterwards when i got my PS2. it was visually amazing and awesome, but i couldn't get every item and i was totally lost on this sphere grid. but other than that, bahamut owns! lol. i tried X-2, but seeing how FAIL it was, i just stopped and cursed myself for wasting money on it.

I played VIII, it was ok, squall was totally uber for having all the ultimate spells while everyone else got fire and crap. lol. I did like the story though.

never played VII, but i know enough about it, i have Advent Children on DVD and the whole series still doesn't make much sense.

Final Fantasy III DS was fail. didn't like the whole level up to become different jobs. too much like ragnarok online.

Final Fantasy XII is what im currently playing on the PS2. i like the gambits and license, but im get so totally lost because these cities are HUGE! everything else is fine, im getting closer towards beating the game

Final Fantasy XII: revenant wings. i started it, but i won't finish it till i get done with XII on the PS2.

Final Fantasy IV DS is what im currently playing. I actually like it a lot. won't spoil it for anyone, but its pretty darn good

Cherrim

Years
    My uncle bought me FFXII for Christmas last year; it was alright in the beginning but I got very lost in the plotline after a little while, I hated the gameplay and battle system (I couldn't get used to it at all), and I hated the characters even more. I haven't touched that game since, and I doubt I will for a while.
    Spoiler: FFXII has no plot. If you don't like the battle system/gameplay, I can see why you didn't like the game. That's all it had going for it for me. XD;

I see where you're coming from with X-2 though. o_O It was my first too (we both fail to not realize it was a sequel until a ways in XD) and I probably would't like it as much if it hadn't been my very first experience with the series. It's not a great game, but I've never really thought it was bad. idk, it has one of my favourite battle systems in FF. 8/

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Saryka: You had the WORST first experience of final fantasy EVER I pitty you XD I mean fair enough if you liked it, but it is the worst of the Final Fantasy games and I personally didn't think it was of the Final Fantasy feel, but that might just be me.

Oh, I know I did. XD If I knew that X was a billion times better (or if I knew that X even existed much earlier on. XDD), I doubt I would have even bothered to look at X-2. o_o

Spoiler: FFXII has no plot. If you don't like the battle system/gameplay, I can see why you didn't like the game. That's all it had going for it for me. XD;

I see where you're coming from with X-2 though. o_O It was my first too (we both fail to not realize it was a sequel until a ways in XD) and I probably would't like it as much if it hadn't been my very first experience with the series. It's not a great game, but I've never really thought it was bad. idk, it has one of my favourite battle systems in FF. 8/

Thanks for the heads up. XD Now I know why I couldn't follow the plot - you can't follow what's non existant now, can you?

I have to agree with you, though, the battle system wasn't terrible. I prefer the Sphere Grid over the Garment Grids, but overall it wasn't a horrible battle system.

.Iramet

Banned
    Years
    Well I fell in love with Final fantasy when I was 12, because I saw a poster for FFXII at a store and thought it looked so cool, so I ended up getting a playstation 2 with some games including 12.
    Let me tell you I loved this game thru and thru.
    Shortly after beating FFXII(which to me until next christmas because I played so much XD)I got X, Which was ok but after playing FFXII I thought the graphics weren't so good, but I loved the storyline and the video clips.
    Also I have Final fantasy 4 or 6 on the gba(Ican't remember which one)And I'm still working on that one.
    Currently I'm working on getting a nintendo 64 for FF7 and a nes and snes for the older titles, one of the games that I really want to play that I have not is FF9 because the story sounds awesome. I'm just wondering is it true that there is a FF9 remake for the wii?
    Then I got Dirge of Cerberus, for the playstation(I got X on the playstation 2 as well), which is Ok and I also like how it isn't turn based, which I don't really like in the older games.
    Next for me was FF Crystal Chronicles for the gamecube which was so lame I gave up on it.]
    @lightning- there is a plot for FFXII, they are fighting for the freedom of Ivalice from the empire.^_^

Cherrim

Years
    @lightning- there is a plot for FFXII, they are fighting for the freedom of Ivalice from the empire.^_^
    :| Well, compared to the other Final Fantasies and RPGs I've played, the plot wasn't impressive enough for me to notice it. There was the basic "oh yeah I'm trying to get back that country" but it was so disjointed and uninteresting to me that most of the time I accidentally stumbled upon where I was supposed to go while wandering around aimlessly (I did so love going around, filling out my map ♥). So yeah, while it had to have had a plot to put it all together, it wasn't a very notable one for me.

edit: whoa okay I just skimmed your post before and replied to the part addressing me but I should clear up some things too. XD

Well I fell in love with Final fantasy when I was 12, because I saw a poster for FFXII at a store and thought it looked so cool, so I ended up getting a playstation 2 with some games including 12.
    Let me tell you I loved this game thru and thru.
    Shortly after beating FFXII(which to me until next christmas because I played so much XD)I got X, Which was ok but after playing FFXII I thought the graphics weren't so good, but I loved the storyline and the video clips.
    Also I have Final fantasy 4 or 6 on the gba(Ican't remember which one)And I'm still working on that one.
    Currently I'm working on getting a nintendo 64 for FF7 and a nes and snes for the older titles, one of the games that I really want to play that I have not is FF9 because the story sounds awesome. I'm just wondering is it true that there is a FF9 remake for the wii?
    Then I got Dirge of Cerberus, for the playstation(I got X on the playstation 2 as well), which is Ok and I also like how it isn't turn based, which I don't really like in the older games.
    Next for me was FF Crystal Chronicles for the gamecube which was so lame I gave up on it.]
    1) There are no titles on the N64.
    2) Final Fantasy 7 through 9 are all on the PS1, so they'll play on your PS2, you just need a PS1 memory card. None of these have remakes on any system.
    3) The older titles are all coming out for DS, or else they're on GBA, or else they're on compilation discs for the PS1, so I wouldn't really bother getting an SNES just for them. :|

Last edited:

suicidesal

GirlWithTheMostCake
    Years
    I never really got into FFX, but I love FFIII and FFIV... and haven't really played any others.

lordbahamut

Nyuuu~! Perfect Apple!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Here's my Top 12. 10-2 replacing XI on this one.

- - -

12 - XII: The worst of the series in my honest opinion. This isn't Final Fantasy anymore, but MMORPG offline. The story became so boring and the characters were so cliché that it made the game looking like a bad copy of Star Wars. Gameplay was okay, but that was the only thing I liked about this game.

11 - I: Like XII, the storylines and characters are dulls. I personally like this game only for the customization purpouse of your teams, even though it's dated and growing too old for me. A thief who can't steal is pretty lame, if you want my advice.

10 - II: A little better than I, but less interesting than III when it comes to battles. Storylines and characters were a little better, but not enough to maintain my interest. I liked the battle system, but as a veteran of the Final Fantasies, I must say that I was disappointed that they didn't put special abilities in this game, like stealing stuffs, mimicry or swordskills, for that matter. Each character would had been so much more fun to play if they had unique abilities to use.

9 - III: The storyline is a classic, it's like a remade version of Final Fantasy I, but with a better job system. Now, you can make better team combinations and change them when you're actually bored. The remake on the DS a little bit harder than the NES version, but it's still pretty good and fun to play.

8 - V: Characters looked bad-ass at some points, but the storyline just didn't appeal to me. I was shocked when some characters died, later in the game, but I was also pleased to see that all its abilities weren't lost for ever. The job system in this game is like a better version of III's one. You can learn many skills and equip them on the Freelance job who stacks every status gains from other jobs.

Hey guys! Stay with me!
    I'm not done yet!

7 - IX: I would put this game on a higher place, but the ending was too confusing to me. I didn't like the final boss and thought the whole story has a huge plot hole at some point. I might have to replay this game someday, to make sure that I'm aren't missing something. Battles were fun to play. Learning stuffs from armours and weapons was pretty cool too. I was happy when they re-used this system on Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games, later. I also liked the characters, even though some of them looked pretty weird. No one can blame the cuteness of Vivi or the silly side of Zidane the casanova thief, eh? I liked pretty much everything when it comes to the characters. But the plot itself missed something to make it the best Final Fantasy game, ever made on this planet.

6 - X-2: I know what you guys are thinking. Why the hell would I place this game so high in my top 12. Well, it's simple! It's the sequel of one of my favourites first of all, and I was missing the ATB systems. I must say, this one was quite dynamic, I liked changing my jobs with the dress spheres and the sphere grids, I also liked the fact that levels came back and that you didn't need to buy your weapons to fight every battles. Learning skills was fun, doing new games plus was even better because you could redo all the story while learning other jobs and unlocking items that you missed on the last playthrough. Sure, the three characters look girly and childish, but when it comes to playing this game... it's like nerdgasming! The only thing I really hated about this game was the Sphere Break minigame. MAN! I really yelled like mad at the finals, where Shinra beat me twice. T_T Storyline was okay, some characters are memorable... But the Trio Nooj-Baralai-Gippal at the ending made me sick... ;_;

5 - X: Two words - Sphere Grid. Oh God, did I loved this game and this huge map where you could learn so many useful techs and still learn everything you could. Customizing your weapons and amours was so much fun too! I loved the Aeons battles and I loved Bahamut the most, even thought the Magus Sisters were much stronger... ;_; The storyline was beautifully done and every damn characters in this game made it believable and as alive as you and I. Though I'd only with that they gave us the option to skip all these Tidus-whining scenes... ^^;;;

~ Takes a huge breathe ~
    Let's continue!!!

~ exhales ~

4 - VII: I don't need to explain the legend that is Final Fantasy 7, do I? No? Thanks god.

3 - VIII: Why did I place VIII over VII? Hmm... I must say that I loved Junctions over Materias and the whole story behind the Sorceresses and Rinoa being quite intriguing. I also liked the whole cast without any exception. Everyone his this game was so real... it felt like real people in a crappy designed world. lol Oh well, I only with that game had better graphics, like they did for 12. And guys... What about Balamb Garden!? That place was soooooooo cooooooool!!! I also liked the fact that it could fly later in the game. ^_^ By the way, Squall is sexy. *o* And don't you dare question my sexuality... ¬¬ You had enough hints with my pink Wigglytuff. lol

2 - IV: It's a classic. I just can't resist to sweet love stories... Cecil turning into a Paladin was a pretty cool idea. He started of a badass character and became a wimpy girly paladin... ZOMG! No, just kidding. Paladins are cool in battles... but Dark Knights are friggin cool! *_* Let us all join the Dark Side, people! MWAHAHAHAHA! *coughs* Whoops? ^.^;;; Sorry... Sidetracked a little bit... Oh yeah... I played the SNES, GBA, PSX versions and beaten them. I won't bother doing the DS version since it pissed me off with the way too high difficulty. Favourite character? Rosa! Curaja, anyone?

1 - VI: *takes a deep breathe* I can't tell you how much I love this game or my hands won't stop writing... All I can say is : Espers, Terra, Kefka. That's all you need to know. Oh... and SABIN IS SO COOL! I love using his blitz! Phantom Rush on final boss is so awesome. Take that bad guys! Sabin owns everyone! MWAHAHAHA! Oh yeah... Storyline is the best from the series, IMO. Kefka actually destroyed a whole world! OMG! HE RULES! XD (Enough with the fanboyism...) Oh well... VI beats them all in storyline, casting and gameplay. *_* Mog is adorable, by the way. Who likes Mog? ^_^

Back