• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Food Thread

Magica

Miss Magic
    Years
    By "exotic" foods you mean something that goes against one's inclinations of what is or isn't "food" - basically, animals that most people don't normally eat/consider food, right? Like whale, kangaroo, and so on. In that sense I haven't been very adventurous since I'm a veggie.

But have you ever tried natto ramen? It's ramen... with natto.

The Food Thread

(This is natto, in case ya want a nice visual.)

Even in Japan a lot of people don't like it. I think it's super tasty.

One other thing that comes to mind are the weird flavored sodas that exist. Like shiso pepsi.

The Food Thread

Which is awful. Shiso is such a nasty flavor.

And I remember trying some of the Thanksgiving flavored sodas that Jones did a few years ago.

The Food Thread

The brussel sprouts one was particularly disgusting as I remember.

I...don't even know what half those things are...(I fail at English, off to Google...)
    But I could never eat exotic animals like a kangaroo. Reindeer is eaten here, but I am not a fan of it.

Those drinks?! Ugh, brussel sprouts are bad enough in solid form. And at first I thought the bottle on the right was lizard flavor. Fail.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
    I haven't really tasted that many strange foods. The cheeses I mentioned were pretty weird. My parents sometimes cook Blood sausage, which is essentially blood pudding. It's weird to think it's made of blood, and I don't really like the taste. I've also eaten Escargots when I was in france, that was really weird but very delicious.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I haven't really tasted that many strange foods. The cheeses I mentioned were pretty weird. My parents sometimes cook Blood sausage, which is essentially blood pudding. It's weird to think it's made of blood, and I don't really like the taste. I've also eaten Escargots when I was in france, that was really weird but very delicious.
    I love snails.

On the note of blood sausage... I haven't fully wrapped my head around bone marrow yet. I like the taste. And the thought of what it is doesn't really bug me. But the look and texture of it makes me think I'm eating boogers XDD And I get all grossed out quickly.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    Yum, food! :) I particularly like my mom's original version of garlic chicken. it's always like heaven she serve it.

i also liked "turon." i don;'t know of others country have them, but it is basically banana (of a different kind) wrapped in a lumpia wrapper. It is like this.

The Food Thread

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    ^I've never had Turon, but it kinda reminds me of Spring Rolls.
    They also kinda remind me of Banana Fritters, which are generally coated in batter then deep fried.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Oh God....

When I went on a visit to China some time in 3rd grade, my sister gave me some weird-looking "meat" that honestly didn't taste that bad. Catch here is, she didn't TELL me what it was. Want to find out what it was?

Spoiler:

LOL! Scorpion meat?!??! Which part of China did you went to?
    The most exotic food I ate would probably be Crocodile meat that is found in the local hawker centres...
    And since you guys are in the banana craze, I would show you something that I ate today.
    Spoiler:

Its called Goreng Pisang, otherwise known as Fired Bananas in Malay.

EDIT: 2Cool4Mewtwo, I found a link about scropions meat in China and some other weird foods that are found in Beijing, China. Click here.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    LOL! Scorpion meat?!??! Which part of China did you went to?
    The most exotic food I ate would probably be Crocodile meat that is found in the local hawker centres...
    And since you guys are in the banana craze, I would show you something that I ate today.
    Spoiler:

Its called Goreng Pisang, otherwise known as Fired Bananas in Malay.

EDIT: 2Cool4Mewtwo, I found a link about scropions meat in China and some other weird foods that are found in Beijing, China. Click here.
    They're apparently common with Chinese street food vendors.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I like spaghetti and beef stew, also caramel ice cream.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    I am not a picky eater at all. I don't even have a favorite meal. I like all kinds of food, healthy, junk, fruit, veggies etc...

I love love love buffalo wings

The Food Thread

I'm also a pasta and bread fanatic but that's the Italian in me lol.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I like fried, greasy foods. Fries are my favorite side and can go with just about any of my other favorite foods... burgers, fried fish, fried chicken, or any number of meats.

Despite this, I'm still actually underweight, lol

miltankRancher

Years
    I was surprised by the number of exotic foods. <really? YOu can eat a kangaroo? O_O>

Well, here's mine.

Traditional Filipino Street Foods!

BALUT: A duck egg that is still unfertilized. In most occasions, you can still the duck
    Spoiler:

ISAW: read as i-saw not I saw as in O_O. It is the intestine of chicken or pig, but usually chicken. This here is a chicken isaw.
    Spoiler:

Years
    I love how the idea of eating kangaroo seems exotic to you when you eat duck-eggs-with-the-duck-still-visible. (Honestly, I got a little ill looking at those pictures.)

I've been hungry all morning and I just realized what I was craving: a portobello mushroom burger.

The Food Thread

Tasty, tasty mushrooms.

lacella

monsters & macarons.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    oh GOD miltank. i never have and never will eat balut. ever. everrrrr. EVER. my parents used to. it's not so easy to get them in australia though. speaking of which, i've never eaten a kangaroo. not even because it's one of our national animals but because i hear it's not very good and is stringy/tough.

turon and fried banana/banana fritters are friggin amazing though. i knew this thread would make me hungry! ;;

miltankRancher

Years
    well, I nearly died my second time eating balut. Not one of my favorite filipino food definitely.

@Scarf. that looks tasty.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I'll give you your 100th post Kura.

Yesterday we had such good food omg, I helped my mom prepare it, it was spring rolls and it's vietnamese I think, and you eat it with sweet and sour sauce.
    The Food Thread

miltankRancher

Years
    is that shrimp inside? O_O OMG, i must taste that! it looks like one of my favorite dishes, the lumpiang ubod!

Spoiler:

guess I'm just fond of veggies. :)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Omg that looks soooo good XD It reminds me of the squid I had in a sushi restaurant, you know the dango stuff. So good ffff. And I really like vegetables as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    Lately I've been craving some yakitori.

The Food Thread

It's so good, the chicken tastes fantastic and I don't know why, but I just love eating food off a stick XD. miltankRancher, that lumpiang ubod looks delicous. What type of food is that?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    So, today I was watching a food show. A dish was showed off just called "escargot and bone marrow".

Well, my mind is blown. That just sounds sinful.

miltankRancher

Years
    It's so good, the chicken tastes fantastic and I don't know why, but I just love eating food off a stick XD. miltankRancher, that lumpiang ubod looks delicous. What type of food is that?

It is raw veggie wrap in a wrapper. The wrapper is also edible mind you. I think it is made from flour and eggs I guess. Not familiar with the way it was cooked. The sauce is sweet.

Back