• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The funny and unrealistic aspects of Pokemon - Discuss!

Yams

Polursaring!
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    There is already a thread for answering logical questions abour the Pokemon World, it's the Pokemon Guru thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=176451), this thread seems to be about discussing things that don't make sense, not trying to answer them otherwise there is no point to this thread.

Anyway... Doesn't anyone think it is odd that the Pokemon world has all this technology like digitalization of mass, and reforming it, and things like giant battlefields that can change terrain, bbut you don't see any other sort of techonologic prowess, the only transportation seems to be the Magnet Train, and the multiple boats in the games, and hot air ballons.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    There is already a thread for answering logical questions abour the Pokemon World, it's the Pokemon Guru thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=176451), this thread seems to be about discussing things that don't make sense, not trying to answer them otherwise there is no point to this thread.
    As soon as something funny and unrealistic is brought up, I won't answer it. Until then pretty much everything has an answer with a little thought.

Anyway... Doesn't anyone think it is odd that the Pokemon world has all this technology like digitalization of mass, and reforming it, and things like giant battlefields that can change terrain, bbut you don't see any other sort of techonologic prowess, the only transportation seems to be the Magnet Train, and the multiple boats in the games, and hot air ballons.
    This is a common trope for science fiction works. Technology doesn't always equate to cultural maturity, nor vice versa. Many science fiction works focus on technology so advanced it appears to be completely undifferentiated from a normal, agrarian lifestyle. Others suggest that as cultures and society evolve, so do our understanding of what is suitable for daily life. All technology is thrown away save mass transportation and communication in favour of a simpler lifestyle. It should be noted that communism and many other philosophies advocate this.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    1. How come there are no doors on sides of buildings? Only South of them!
    This is nonsense. The gatehouses have doors on all sides, and the caves do as well. They also have back entrances on a few houses in case you didn't notice.
    2. People do not use the Restroom/take a Shower (don't say Nintendo doesn't want to implement this time consuming idea, or you do it when your game is off)?
    That would be boring. besides, this isn't supposed to be about reality, it's supposed to be about pokemon
    3. Why does the mom stay watching TV all day long (don't say she moves when you leave the house, I left my game in the house for 24hrs and she did not budge one bit)?
    In platinum, she visits your villa, so this question is pointless.
    4. Why does it say in the Pokedex, the animal names? Ex. Tiny Bird Pokemon. There are no such things are birds... (don't say it is to compare it in real life, since Oak gets research from this. nor don't say that they have real animals, since I assure you in Pokemon, they don't. When people say Pokemon, they mean ALL animals in the Poke word).
    It is to compare it to real life pokemon, whether you like it or not. And in case you missed the first few posts on the first page, there are indeed real animals.

Hopefully you can understand that.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    How do Ponyta live in a place where it is always raining? Why do they torture themselves on the route to Veilstone City? (Can't remember the number...)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    How do Ponyta live in a place where it is always raining? Why do they torture themselves on the route to Veilstone City? (Can't remember the number...)

Water doesn't hurt pokemon as long as they are taken in small doses and not concentrated.
    In battle, rain dance doesn't hurt fire pokemon whatsoever.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017

Water doesn't hurt pokemon as long as they are taken in small doses and not concentrated.
    In battle, rain dance doesn't hurt fire pokemon whatsoever.

I mean, why would they live in a place where their abilities will be suppressed?
    It is not logical.
    (Please, I don't want another reply that says "It's just a video game and is not real")

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • Are all pokemon of the same species?
    As we all know, different species being able to reproduce is near impossible( a mule gave birth to anyone asking "near impossible?!") to just plain impossible, especially if the species are very far apart. A skitty can breed with a wailord. And even though whales are mammalian, why do they have eggs? And where are their nipples? We all know that every single mammalian has nipples and has to give birth instead of laying eggs.

I figured it was through a most-recent common ancestor scenario, where Pokemon can breed interspecially if there is a close enough common ancestor which is not Mew, but the Fossil Pokemon, the ones responsible for the divergence of Egg Groups.

So in scientific nomenclature, while Cradily would be something like "Plantae Cirripedia", Vileplume would be "Plantae Rafflesia [arnoldii]". Same genus, different species, but related closely enough to breed with other members of Plantae.

Check the attachment.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Yup. Especially Cradily looks like an ancient crinoid, and the Omastar and Omanyte ammonites.

But what of the "Legendary" or "God" pokemon?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    It seems safe to say that everyone in-universe agrees that the world was created, not developed (as such). If we were to go by a "different translation" of the Arceus legend, there could have been extra time between when it created the Lake Trio, as that marked the development of some traits attributed to humans, and was written down by some person or sufficiently intelligent Pokemon.

The timeline could have gone something like:

Arceus
    Dia/Pal/Gira (by Arceus)
    Kyo/Grou/Ray (by Arceus)
    Mew (by Arceus)
    original Pokemon(by Mew)
    divergence of Pokemon/appearance of humankind
    Lake Trio(by Arceus)
    continued divergence, human technology, etc...

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
  • I think the pokeballs are registered to trainers so if you traded it without using a machine it would not be registered as traded and could seem to be stolen if you stored it. Look at the games, when you trade a pokemon it has the OT's name still showing you did not catch it originally which shows the pokeballs register to you.

(The traded pokemon keeps OT's name but would register as traded)

How I think pokeballs work is based on turning matter into light. Look at the inside of a pokeball, its full of mirror looking plates and when a pokemon goes in and out of a ball it turns into a red light. The reason they can come out of them at will is because if there will is strong enough they override the balls programing to hold them explaining why some pokemon wont go in the pokeballs and why they break out while trying to be caught. there is a button in the middle of the ball I think is used to return them.

As far as ten year olds traveling the world I agree that is silly but I think that was so it appeals to children, characters the target audiences age they could relate to. If pokemon were real I would assume the age would be around 14 before you could go out on your own.

xXI JOE IXx

What about when you walk into a small gym building, and its a huge,multifloored thing?!

Scarlet the plusle

plusle lover
    Years
  • lol or how you can't see giant pokemon in semi-tall grass or how a pokemon says it's own name over and over and Ash is always like "what's that pokemon?" and has to whip out his pokedex because he can't figure out it practically tells you what it is.

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • As for the 10 year old thing. I've heard that in Japan kids are considered adults at age 13 (which would make 10 roughly the equivalent of our 16). And evolution not being called transformation, is lost in translation. And isn't only done by Pokemon, e.g. Digimon does it too.

i don't get how ash hasn't aged but he should be like 20 and parents let their children wander around with him!

If every episode showed only a single day (on average), he would have only aged like one or two years.

oh and that dog shuld not be in pokemon! since when were their dogs! there aren't even ants!

It wasn't actually, it only ever appeared in that advertisement, which isn't cannon. All other animals only appeared in the anime (apart from some references in the Pokedex). Even then, what do we really have:

- Unidentified fish, potentially undiscovered Pokemon.
    - Unidentified worms, potentialy undiscovered Pokemon.
    - An illusion of a mongoose created by Gastly.
    - Unidentified lobster, potentially undiscovered Pokemon.
    - Coral, perhaps coral is a plant in the Pokemon, no one actually said it was coral, it just looked like it.

Everything else that's left is references. e.g. a few Pokedex entries, like Raichu's FireRed one "Its electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts. Careless contact can cause even an Indian elephant to faint."; some Pokemon species, like Ponyta's being 'Fire Horse Pokemon', talk of crabs, eels and salmon on the S.S. Anne in RBY.

What about when you walk into a small gym building, and its a huge,multifloored thing?!

Maybe the visible area is just a stairwell into the real, underground, building. :P

---

What I find weird? That people don't run for their tiny little lives when someone sends out a massive Wailord.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2009
    one thing i don't get about the games is they have the technology to turn monsters into energy and store them in little balls but they don't have cars or paved roads how do people who don't have pokemon get around
    but the 10 year old thing is probably because most people who played the games back then were about 10 years old
    one thing that dosen't make sense about the anime is that pokedex sais that golbat sucks blood but youve never seen one do it also brock's golbat will eat normal pokemon food so wich is it does it suck blood or eat normal pokemon food

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • They do have some trucks, just they aren't widespread. And also some paved roads/paths in towns. But I guess dirt cuts it for them in routes.

Years
  • How does one attain the status of "Elite Four"?

View attachment 50370 will answer this question for us.

"I've trained around the world to make my Psychic Pokemon strong, and at last, I've been accepted into the Elite Four!"

Based on this quote, it seems that you'd have to 'try out' for a position in the Elite Four if it was available. It's very likley that the requirements are extremely demanding, as his wording indicates that he tried to get in more than once. I also wonder how old you'd have to be to get in, the youngest we've seen is Aaron, who looked to be about 19.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I don't know whether or not this has been covered, but I've always wondered why the hero couldn't grab a flashlight instead of having to use an HM. HMs were the most bothersome elements of the game, in my experience. For Cut they could have given me an axe; for Rock Smash I could have been given a hammer; etc.

I also find it unusual that when the hero(ine) is not using his/her bicycle, it's in his/her bag. @_@

Back