• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Generation Five Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

billios

Water Pokémon Master
Years
  • 3. Something based on a tree or something . A branch which evolves into a bigger branch which becomes a tree ! UberAwesome loll ! -Also, not Shiftry clone ...
    we just need an evo for soodowoodo and you've got it

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • I would love to have something that's third person. The NDS is very much capable. Look at Super Mario 64 DS, that looked much better than the N64 version of the game, and it ran great! I think it's time for Nintendo/GameFreak to give the fans a full on 3D Pokémon RPG (one that runs like the handheld, not Colosseum or XD: Gale of Darkness). I do like the idea of choosing your own path, too. It would be interesting to go with the bad guys for a change, or to go down the road of becoming a Pokémon Professor, or to be challenged to become a master breeder, or....well, you know where I'm getting at. lol

Maxite

Ideas and Insanity
    Years
  • I agree with Haza, I dont think its crucial to have a new typing if its unbalanced, if it could easily BECOME balanced with the introduction of new Pokemon. Saaaay, you add in a Steel-Ice type with Flash Fire (terrible example, whatever), Dragons would have to work around it, balancing it out.

Sometimes, adding in a new variety now and then can mix up things a bit and make it overall more enjoyable. A type that is super-effective against Ground and Fighting (two popular types in competitive play) but weak to Dragon (another popular competitive choice) and resists Ice (popular in competitive play again!) would certainly spice things up. Modify it a bit more with various weaknesses and types that resist it, and you can even make it so that it doesn't upset the balance too much. You could even make it weak to Poison and Steel, which are two types that poor offensively and underused in those capacities.

As far as other features I'd like to see, I'd have to say I'd like the ability to make a gym. You could make it like the Villa in Platinum, where it costs a TON of money to build and furnish the gym. The games have a "fan" implement, so it wouldn't be hard to have people come in and train under you (and it'd be possible to battle them). Hell, for real sophistication, have a secondary training arc to get Gym Leader accreditation where you have to battle something similar to the Elite Four.

Another feature would be to borrow a page from Harvest Moon, and allow the player to romance an NPC. It wouldn't be too unheard of, as there are already game mechanics for Pokemon happiness, so it'd just be a matter of modifying it and implementing it for certain NPCs. To get the most out of this ability, have this ability be available after beating the Elite Four, so you have an equal footing with all candidates who can be spread across the region. For simpler stuff, allow romancing of the pseudo-rival and gym leaders of the opposite sex (and set it up so that there's 4 gym leaders of each sex), as that way it can be easier to explain the romancing a bit more.

Another feature I'd like is hold items that can change type effectiveness. We have berries that can limit how much damage you take from a type. My idea would be to have some sort of hold item, one for each type, that takes the primary type of a Pokemon (Water-type for a Squirtle, Normal-type for a Pidgeot) and makes moves of those type super effective against whatever type the hold item is affiliated with. It would be an alternative way to breathe in some life to types that are underrepresented offensively.

Oh yes, and for breeding Pokemon, could we have a hold item so that when Pokemon are in they day care they don't forget their moves? It's especially frustrating when you're trying to breed for a specific Pokemon with a father who knows an egg move, only for the father to forget the move you're trying to breed in.

Last edited:

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    in another thread someone said something about being a co-ordinater(contests only) or pokeathlete(pokeathlon only) or breeder(not sure what this would involve and i don't wat to O.O) instead of trainer. that would be epic

tha WOULD be epic- it would be like one of those crappy "Choose your story" books :)
    but sadly i don't think they would do that :(
    but that would be awesome to be able in the beginning Choose what type a trainer you will become

Esmas

General
    Years
  • Speculations on the 5th Generation's Pseudo-Legendaries? What do you think they'll be? Hopefully they'll come up with something new and original. I liked the idea of a sand shark (Gible, Gabite and Garchomp), but I just hated their sprites. Zorua and Zoroark are just the beginning of a great set of new Pokémon. I wonder what the new sprites will look like? Ack, there's so much to wonder about! :)

Darkfalz

A.K.A "The Bang-Shuhbang"
    Years
  • Here is my prediction on if there is gonna be a new Lapras evo. Here goes:

Cobals
    Armored Serpent Pokemon
    HT: 13"4' WT: 1,675 LBS.
    Pokedex Entry: COBALS has spikes on both sides of it's shell and on it's forehead to protect it from attacking bottomfeeders like KINGLER. The spikes were developed when LAPRAS evolved due to decrease in their population.

This would be an epic idea. Use it, Game Freak!

Maxite

Ideas and Insanity
    Years
  • Speculations on the 5th Generation's Pseudo-Legendaries? What do you think they'll be? Hopefully they'll come up with something new and original. I liked the idea of a sand shark (Gible, Gabite and Garchomp), but I just hated their sprites. Zorua and Zoroark are just the beginning of a great set of new Pokémon. I wonder what the new sprites will look like? Ack, there's so much to wonder about! :)

Pseudo-Legendaries have the trait of being doubly-weak to a type (except for Metagross). I think it'll most likely be another Dragon/Flying or Dragon/Ground type, although a Dragon/Grass could also give a 4x weakness to Ice. Barring that, I'd go with a Dark type that would be 4x weak to Fightning. Dark/Steel might make an appearance (for all the defense it'd have), or maybe a Dark/Ice (to take out it's Dragon pseudo-legendary brethren).

At this point in the game, who knows?

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • Finally some new thought out ideas!! I thought I'd have to wait till after CoroCoro to anything like this. :) Comments in bold.

Sometimes, adding in a new variety now and then can mix up things a bit and make it overall more enjoyable. A type that is super-effective against Ground and Fighting (two popular types in competitive play) but weak to Dragon (another popular competitive choice) and resists Ice (popular in competitive play again!) would certainly spice things up. Modify it a bit more with various weaknesses and types that resist it, and you can even make it so that it doesn't upset the balance too much. You could even make it weak to Poison and Steel, which are two types that poor offensively and underused in those capacities.

I don't think he ever denied that, frankly I think it'd be foolish to deny this as it's pretty much a fact. But he was question the need for a whole new type all together. As I tried to outline in my posts around his. If a new type was just a matter of shaking up the type chart in a balanced matter than who wouldn't be, at least somewhat, open to it!? Except, the type should really make sense aesthetically as well. As Haza even mentioned, from a competitive standpoint Steel is dominant but it doesn't really reflect the same way actually in the game. I used to competitive battle frequently but I got tired of seeing the same things constantly, the originality is gone. So in that sense, yes I'd love a new type but I think it should be a last case resort. Steels are dominant cause they wall the ever powerful dragons. Just like Fighting is popular due to those steels and Blissey and etc. Really to shake up the metagame, new moves, abilities, type combinations and of course Pokemon can pretty much do the same thing if not more than a new type could.

As far as other features I'd like to see, I'd have to say I'd like the ability to make a gym. You could make it like the Villa in Platinum, where it costs a TON of money to build and furnish the gym. The games have a "fan" implement, so it wouldn't be hard to have people come in and train under you (and it'd be possible to battle them). Hell, for real sophistication, have a secondary training arc to get Gym Leader accreditation where you have to battle something similar to the Elite Four.

I don't how they would do this exactly but I really like this idea!! Maybe after you beat the game you can use all that money you've made to not only open a Gym but improve it. (Volkner anybody?) Than based on the competitiveness, location and attractiveness of your gym you could basically earn the respect of trainers. I don't know but I like the idea of people training under you, seems awesome. :P And of course for I don't know how many pages I've been begging for some recognition and some fans so I'm beyond pleased to see someone else mention it!!

Another feature would be to borrow a page from Harvest Moon, and allow the player to romance an NPC. It wouldn't be too unheard of, as there are already game mechanics for Pokemon happiness, so it'd just be a matter of modifying it and implementing it for certain NPCs. To get the most out of this ability, have this ability be available after beating the Elite Four, so you have an equal footing with all candidates who can be spread across the region. For simpler stuff, allow romancing of the pseudo-rival and gym leaders of the opposite sex (and set it up so that there's 4 gym leaders of each sex), as that way it can be easier to explain the romancing a bit more.

This just seems like too much for the game, though I'd love to be proved wrong. The first year of Harvest Moon (at least the one I played) where you chased the girl was always the most fun for me. And come on, marrying a gym leader? SWEET!!

Another feature I'd like is hold items that can change type effectiveness. We have berries that can limit how much damage you take from a type. My idea would be to have some sort of hold item, one for each type, that takes the primary type of a Pokemon (Water-type for a Squirtle, Normal-type for a Pidgeot) and makes moves of those type super effective against whatever type the hold item is affiliated with. It would be an alternative way to breathe in some life to types that are underrepresented offensively.

As much as I like the basis of this idea, i.e. improving lesser used types, I don't think this is the way to do it at all. Give that berries to today's metagame and anything faster than it's counter will basically beat it. Can you imagine that berry on a DD Salamence? It could just have a Dragon on Steel super effective berry and be able to spam Outrages as much as it wanted. Obviously it wouldn't be the only item used but it could easily destroy strategy in competitive Pokemon battling. =/

Oh yes, and for breeding Pokemon, could we have a hold item so that when Pokemon are in they day care they don't forget their moves? It's especially frustrating when you're trying to breed for a specific Pokemon with a father who knows an egg move, only for the father to forget the move you're trying to breed in.

Frankly, I'm surprised this doesn't exist yet. You said everything right there, this should exist and lets hope that soon it will.

Just my thoughts on the ideas you presented there. I've been missing the oppertunity to discuss some new ideas!!

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
  • 1. Only one pre-evo, if at all. I'd give it to Skarmory or maybe Stantler, either one would be cute.
    i wouldnt mind seeing more pre-evos. i always thought there should be a pre-evo for miltank and tauros that evolved depending on the gender. skarmory would also be pretty cool.
    2. Three evos of old pokemon - Dunsparce, Qwilfish and either Swalot or Luvdisc (good God I hope they do something to make poor Luvdisc less pitiful).
    hahaha!!! luvdisc does need a new evo. but there r others that need them too. some 4th gen and 3rd gen should evolve, though its pretty unoriginal i think sharpedo needs its other half.
    3. A grass starter that isn't bright green. I don't know, it's just getting old. I'd go for a woody theme, like Shiftry but perhaps darker and make a battering ram tree or something.
    That would be cool. Mayb a dark grass starter. and to go along with that idea make all the starters a bit darker. so a ghost water type and a psychic fire type or something.
    4. More fire types! Gen 4 really skimped on those, not that there were many to start with anyway.
    YESSS!!! in pearl u could only catch ponita before the elite four. there should be a magma area which u can go through by HM magma surf or something and u can go across magma. that would b sick.
    5. Fewer new legendaries, and the return of some of the old ones instead. Please? Recycling, people.
    i agree on fewer legendaries but putting back old ones wouldnt b that great. they should be legendaries of they're own region.
    6. A grass-type that can be caught in the wild in four forms - grass/water for rainy 'spring', grass/fire for hot 'summer', grass/electric for stormy 'autumn', and grass/ghost for lifeless 'winter'. Each form could evolve into the evo of either it's own 'season' or the next with the right stone :D It'd be cool!
    oh and the seasons r based on real-time! it would mean that u would hav to play 4 a whole year to get all the forms.
    7. A new way to evolve - when two specific pokemon are traded simultaneously from one system to the other while holding the same specific item. Do this for Plusle/Minun, and they'll both evolve into something (at least slightly) better when they're traded one for the other :D
    ...this sounds like physics. but never the less a good idea. The evolve form can be the same pokemon and be both positive and negative.
    8. Only one Dragon type, but make it Dragon/Fire /Ice or /Electric.
    haha yeh. dragon ice would be awesome.
    9. Only one fossil that either does not evolve (like Aero) or evolves twice. Could be an extinct large mammal now (Andrewsarchus? Sabertooth?), make it Rock/Poison or even Ground/Poison
    i think they should just make one fossil pokemon that evolves twice, rather than 2 new ones. a sabertooth would be sick.
    10. NO PIKACHU RIPOFFS (GF seems to find them hard to resist) unless it's the awesome PlusleMinun evo thingy.
    stupid yellow forest... though pachirisu was pretty cool and should hav an evolution.
    11. Something to make Poison a little less UU.
    rly? i reckon poison is pretty strong. though a legendary poison type would b cool.
    And that's about it. Thanks for reading if anyone did :}
    no probs!
    that was awesome. nice job gogoshinydunsparce!

CAN'T WAIT 4 SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!

Eos Aduro

The Kid with the Bullet Soul
    Years
  • Im REEEEAAAAALLLLYYYY hoping that Black and White arent kept as the names, Im not against the idea, but something like maybe.... I dunno, Obsidian and Ivory... Dusk and Dawn... but Black and White??? They already did colors in case anyone remembers...

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    If they really are black and white, then I'm starting to think a Light type might be possible. By the way, what would they name the 3rd game? Brown? Anyway I actually like that they're going back to regular colors, even though they might be tentative names.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Yeah, I never thought I'd like "Black & White" but I love the simplicity. Plus, technically they're not colors... they're shades. :P

I'm wondering if this is any sort of hint towards a "light" type? Not too overly excited about that idea, but you cant be sure I guess. :0

Third installment would probably be Gray/Grey.

Eos Aduro

Years
  • Pokemon Gray? Ugh, that sounds terrible!! And while it may be leaning towards a Light type, which if you're a regular here you probably know my stance on that matter (its against by the way), its in no way confirmed. And this seems to be the most divided naming yet, most are similar, this is an exact opposite. Its seems to be like a coin, both sides totally different but its still one thing. Im personally not happy with the naming, but I think the English name versions will probably be more extravagent than Black and White, probably either synonyms or things closely related to the colors, like my examples of Dusk and Dawn, which I want it to be :P.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Pokemon Gray? Ugh, that sounds terrible!! And while it may be leaning towards a Light type, which if you're a regular here you probably know my stance on that matter (its against by the way), its in no way confirmed. And this seems to be the most divided naming yet, most are similar, this is an exact opposite. Its seems to be like a coin, both sides totally different but its still one thing. Im personally not happy with the naming, but I think the English name versions will probably be more extravagent than Black and White, probably either synonyms or things closely related to the colors, like my examples of Dusk and Dawn, which I want it to be :P.

I'd love Dusk and Dawn as well. I somehow can't see them changing Black and White for the English names though, not unless there's some sort of racial tension going on. XD

Eos Aduro

Years
  • I can see racial tension being a factor, its kind of a clear split. If Jynx pissed poeple off, this definitely could send some of the more volatile protesters into a frenzy.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • OKAY FREAK OUT FREAK OUT!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Ahem, got that out of the way...well not really but whatever. :P Just as long as these games aren't actually in Black and White. :P Sepia for the win!!

I can see their being possible racial issues but Black and White is a huge theme throughout all of history. Personally I'll judge the titles more when we have more info on the games themselves.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back