• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
  • Great, there's no required rating. I was rushing anyway. ^^

First draft of what I plan on submitting to SOTW#8.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • @Gummy: The left side is great. I love the text and the background... but the blue outline around the render kills it for me. Other than that I think I like it... Maybe remove the blue outline and blend the render in like his arm is?

Ionic

God of nothing
    Years
  • @Gummy: Wow if thats just a draft it looks like its coming along nicely, i do agree that you should never really put outlines around the render it kills it especially that blue one.

Some of you may see this one on Planet renders i did it from one of the tutorials on there.

Last edited:

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    I'm in a tired and cheerful mood today so I'll rate starting from.... let's see the lucky winner is... GUMMY
    Gummy:Hmmm.... not bad, not bad, good job. I can tell the background is brushed based, you could have used a bit more color though. What's that effect called? Uh... is it... a smudge? I dunno, I'm not a Dephist so I have no idea. If it were me, I would use that effect on the sides and not on the bottom? Just a suggestion. Uh the lighting effects could be better instead of the sparkly thingies. I would replace them with lighting effects like using a large 100px brush, putting it over a layer and overlay it. The text is a little hard to read and I have no idea what it saids, well, maybe I can't read cursive so I don't know. XD; But uh, maybe make the text a little brighter?

Animadversion:Yaaay it's Esther! Ahem, anyways, the lighting effects are good, the brush usage is good too. I would like for Esther to stand out a little more than make her dark-y. Um well... gee I don't know what else to say except to make her stand out more. Good job, I love it. ^^

Perfectionist:Mhm, hmm.... I would say too much brushes, use more textures. Play around with the render like unsaturate it (Are you in my class? Cause I don't remember XD; ). Just like add more effects to it, it looks too simple. ><;;;

DannyPhantom: I believe you did clipping mask? Meh it's not bad for the clipping mask feature but I would like to see more effects. I mean it's just.... Like using paint. Copying, pasting a sprite. You know what I mean? I would like to see more effects like make the text glow or playing around with the images. I can't really say much because I feel like I am wrong. ><

Haine Togu:I kinda like the first one more because the grungy mic looks better with the grungy background-atmosphere. Is the music notes a brush? If so, that's a brush I want to bad!!!! DDDDx
    Um anyways, I would suggest to make the banner better is to do lighting effects and maybe put a texture over it? It's good it's very good. But the text at the bottom kinda bothers me.... But it's good overall, but could be better. ^^;

Motsuko Live: I'll rate the second one, the colors are good, they stand out pretty well. The text is pretty well done too. But the background needs to go, needs match the colors around it? DDDx
    I don't know what else to say, but it's very good.

Embrace: I see you just started? Well.. all I can say keep on practicing and you'll get better! ^^

Ionic: Nice lighting effects! And good brush usage too. I really like the colors in the background but the text.... hmm I would say lower the opacity to make it look better? It's a great banner, keep it up ^^

Now Kisa will go to bed. D:

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
  • So now. After a lot of poking around, I've arrived here:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Perfectionist

Perfectionism is an Art
    Years
  • Reply to Hazuki:
    Yes I am in your class! But I would just like to say that my banner has no brushing in it what-so-ever.

Ok new banner!
    Made using similar techniques to the top one.
    Tell me what you think!

Hurray for vertical banners! ~.o

Last edited:

Ionic

God of nothing
    Years
  • @Airashii the 2nd one is the better one you can see the text more.The render needs a tiny bit more blending.

@Perfectionist:Very nice i like where you put the text fits nicely just there.Maybe just one more soft brush on the lamp for a bigger light source.

Heres my new one :0

Its got a border but it was made for a different forum with a black background, its white.

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
  • Ionic - Its good but I don't like the text, maybe use a different fond? It also seems slightly blank on the left side.

Messing with my entry again

Original

Opinions?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Ionic: The background is really dark so that only amplifies the render's brightness, and now it's a strain on the eyes. Like Haine Tugo said, it really blank on one side, so you might want to add something there. Also, I don't really like the border. It just looks odd.

Haine Tugo:
    I assume this is for SOTW, so I pick the fist one. Since text plays some part in SOTW, i think it's better for it to be more noticeable than usual. The Render may be oo bright but I'm sure if that was your doing or if it came like that.

Banner I made for a friend:

Rena

i WILL save this patient!
    Years
  • Gummy: First of all, the text has no depth at all! Also, the font doesn't match with the banner. Secondly, the light source is to bright and how can I say this, it is too big and to weird (have never seen someone use a light source like that.) Also, the vector brushes on teh left doesn't match with the render, you should use the eyedropper tool to find some colors for the vector banner. Some more things about the banner: the render doesn't really blend in with the other parts of the banner. Like, the contrast/saturation/whatever layer is just on the render, but the other parts of the banner are just plain. One more thing, the render is to overly sharpened compared to the rest of the banner.

So, I decided to change my entry for the signature of the week. It took forever and a day xD. So please, if you can rate and say which version you think that is better.

V1:

V2:

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Rena: hmmmm. i like the bottom one better, but they are both pretty nice. i like the whole text thing, and the way that you have erased the render/stock.
    soz guys, have been busy lately, and quuuiiitteeee inactive.
    so heres to make up fa lost time.

i dont really like this one ( typed with bland and slow typing)
    welll cyA!

Perfectionist

Perfectionism is an Art
    Years
  • Poke'd
    The first one is quite boring because the colours in the background are very close to the same colour and not much is happening. I suggest filling up the background with something which adds contrast.
    The second one is very very simple. It looks good but I think the background needs some tweaking. Add some depth by using other brushes in a darker colour to add some contrast.

Ok here is my entry for the SOTW Music theme.

What do you think?

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
  • Perfectionist, it's a good banner, not your best though..
    You need to be careful where the light is coming from in your render as you put the light source on the right behind the render, when the light is on your render is coming from the left, thus it looks awkward.
    The text is a no-no.. Maybe you should pick a color from your render for the text and try moving your text to the bottom left.
    The background works well with the render, no problem there I guess.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    I tried to fix my SOTW banner based on a previous rating..

Original

New

Which should I keep?

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • @ DarkChild: I like them both, but I think the second one is better than the first.
    The first one is good, but that white around the border almost looks like fog; it's really thick. It's almost a bit too bright.

I like the second one because it's darker, and matches more with the grungy brushes you used. The only suggestion I'd give would be to darken the microphone a little bit...Around the tip. 100 px black, soft brush on overlay/soft light? I don't know though, just a suggestion.

Here's mine. I was going to post it this morning, but I couldn't get on to PC for some reason :/
    I'm thinking of changing the text. Is it noticeable enough?

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • Reply to ????:
    Haha, yeah, that's what I thought, too. I meant to say the opposite, though. Edited my post.

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Motsuko: The text looks like it was forced in there, or something :\ It would probably look better without it. Otherwise, it looks alright. Though I think that this has the same little 'problem' as the banner in your current signature: it feels a bit wispy, for some odd reason. I guess the focal would look better if it was bolder, and stood out a bit more. Or maybe the render was already low quality? Oh, there's also that diagonal line, which I find to be quite distracting. I suggest that instead of keeping it straight, use the liquify tools or a distort filter, so that it doesnt look as... straight o___o The effects are looking alright, though (besides the 'wispiness') and the colours go together pretty nicely.

---

I'm curious as to what people think. Though I don't really want to touch it up again D:

Gold19

Yes, I'm that One Guy
    Years
  • Shiranui: The image of the signature is great. The text is noticable (sp?), probably because of the light source at bottom of the signature. I didn't notice the other text, maybe you could lighten up the text a bit. But the overall rating for the graphic I would give it a 8 out of 10.

--------

Here is my graphic (or whatever you want to call it).

So, what do you think?

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • @DarkChild: I really don't like the text on either of them. It's just... I dunno, they don't seem to work well with the stock, I suppose.

@Shiranui:
    Neku was made for that banner. XD I like it, but the part on the far right seems... I don't know, kind of pointless? There isn't really anything there, and it would probably still look good without it. That's my opinion, anyways.

@Gold19: It's very... fuzzy. There's a lot of noise in it, detracting from the overall quality. The background feels kind of boring, too. Though the attempt is good. ^^;

Blaaah. I think I may have hit a creativity slump. Ah well... >>;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back