• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Grass starter should be changed to a Thunder type.

Years
  • Because it makes more sense.

The current way of starters is like this:

Fire > Grass

Grass > Water*

Water > Fire.

*= makes no sense TBH. So nature/ grass is better than Water?

My idea=

Fire > Thunder

Water > Fire

Thunder > Water

What do you think?

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    ....................................?

Plants take in water from the soil through their roots.
    Fire BURNS plants.
    Water DOUSES fire.

Hence why the starter triangle is Grass - Fire - Water

Last edited:
    Years
  • ....................................?

Plants take in water from the soil through their roots.
    Fire BURNS plants.
    Water DOUSES fire.

Hence why the starter triangle is Grass - Fire - Water
    Might be, but I always easily beat my rival if I have a water type starter. That's why I would rather have a thnder type starter.

ChainedTeapot

Let's Player
    Years
  • I don't really get how fire would be super effective against electric and electric would be NVE against fire.

As Pyrax said Grass takes in water, and for example if you have a plant with some water leave it for a while the water will be gone as the plant absorbed it, so in a sense when grass is attacking water the grass will be deal more damage due to the water typing and it somewhat absorbing it. Not the best explanation however, cause I'm not that good with that sorta stuff.

Years
  • I don't really get how fire would be super effective against electric and electric would be NVE against fire.

As Pyrax said Grass takes in water, and for example if you have a plant with some water leave it for a while the water will be gone as the plant absorbed it, so in a sense when grass is attacking water the grass will be deal more damage due to the water typing and it somewhat absorbing it. Not the best explanation however, cause I'm not that good with that sorta stuff.

A charizard has the advantage over Pikachu for example, because Fire > Electricity. I believe electricity is weak against fire.

I'm only suggesting it because water type starters can easily defeat grass type starters, while fire type starters have a big disadvantage to water types.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

No. Pikachu as a type advantage over Charizard as Electric > Flying (Charizard's secondary type). Electric is not weak to Fire.

Ok then, how does Swampert beat Sceptile? Or Feraligatr beat Meganium? Or Blastoise beat Venusaur? Or Samurott beat Serprior? Sure, in competitive battling it's possible, but for ordinary gamers, grass > water. And c'mon, even thought Empoleon loses its' grass weakness, Torterra gains the ground-type to overcome that by hitting Empoleon super-effectively as Ground > Steel.

Honestly, by typings, the only one that can beat the one that's traditionally super-effective is Infernape beating Empoleon as Fighting > Steel.

Please, can you get your facts right before arguing like this? It's kinda irritating. I'm no expert, but if the typings are like how you're saying in TCG, that's one thing. But in the games, it's different.

In spoilers is the starter types' weaknesses:
    Spoiler:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • A Thunder type? If you are arguing for them to make an ELECTRIC type starter they already did in Pokemon Yellow. They are not going to replace Grass with Electric that makes no sense what so ever. That would screw up the whole typing triangle. And I don't know where you get the notion that Water types take out Grass types easier Fire types take out Water. They are equally not very effective.

Years

• No. Pikachu as a type advantage over Charizard as Electric > Flying (Charizard's secondary type). Electric is not weak to Fire.

Ok then, how does Swampert beat Sceptile? Or Feraligatr beat Meganium? Or Blastoise beat Venusaur? Or Samurott beat Serprior? Sure, in competitive battling it's possible, but for ordinary gamers, grass > water. And c'mon, even thought Empoleon loses its' grass weakness, Torterra gains the ground-type to overcome that by hitting Empoleon super-effectively as Ground > Steel.

Honestly, by typings, the only one that can beat the one that's traditionally super-effective is Infernape beating Empoleon as Fighting > Steel.

Please, can you get your facts right before arguing like this? It's kinda irritating. I'm no expert, but if the typings are like how you're saying in TCG, that's one thing. But in the games, it's different.

In spoilers is the starter types' weaknesses:
    Spoiler:

Dude, what the hell is your problem?

In Silver for example:

Typhlosion > Meganium

Feraligatr > Typhlosion

Meganium > Feraligatr

TBH, the easiest of them is the grass vs water types. I could easily take on grass types with just 1 water type, while it would be difficult to beat a team of water type pokemon with a fire type pokemon.

This would be my solution:

Feraligatr > Typhlosion

Typhlosion > Pikachu (for example)

Pikachu > Feraligatr

A Thunder type? If you are arguing for them to make an ELECTRIC type starter they already did in Pokemon Yellow. They are not going to replace Grass with Electric that makes no sense what so ever. That would screw up the whole typing triangle. And I don't know where you get the notion that Water types take out Grass types easier Fire types take out Water. They are equally not very effective.
    I disagree, water vs grass is way more effective than fire vs water.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The reason why Grass is there instead of Electric in the starter types is because: Fire is strong against Grass, Grass is strong against Water and Water is strong against Fire. Electric isn't weak to Fire, as stated above, which is why it's left out.

Even so, it's still hard to use Water Pokemon against Grass Pokemon because Venusaur, Meganium and Serperior have the defenses to survive an Ice attack (thankfully, all 5 Water starters get Ice Beam and Blizzard) thrown at them, and then threaten them back with supereffective STAB moves.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I disagree, water vs grass is way more effective than fire vs water.

They're equally effective or ineffective. Water does half damage to grass, fire does half damage to water. There's no difference between types, just defenses and attacks of particular Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Tell me, can a Raichu take a Hydro Pump in the face as good as a Venusaur? Not exactly the best example. But no, since it's normal effective. Do you know that Grass is the best counter to most water types?

TBH, the easiest of them is the grass vs water types. I could easily take on grass types with just 1 water type, while it would be difficult to beat a team of water type pokemon with a fire type pokemon.
    Not true. Going against grass with water is as easy as going against water with fire. This is in-game, so it doesn't matter much. If we're talking about the metagame, then good luck beating Venusaur with any water starter.

Grass is better than Electric when it comes to countering water types.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Dude, you need to learn your type advantages and disadvantages. The reason why the starter triangle is the way it is is because: Grass is super-effective against water, not very effective against fire. Water is super-effective against fire, not very effective against grass. Fire is super-effective against grass, not very effective against water. Changing Grass to Electric would break this balance. Electric is defensively neutral to Fire and Water, super-effective against Water, and neutral against Fire. The point of the starter triangle is that none of the types are neutral against each other.

Years
  • To be honest, I'd rather see a dark type starter for once. Maybe a new Fire/dark, instead of the typical fire/fight that's been faithful for the last three gens, now.

Grass/Ghost

Fire/Dark

Water/Fight for Gen 6.

Sound good to anyone?

Actually, Fire/Dark seems especially common, so I think we should do it more like:

Grass/Dark
    Fire/Psychic
    Water/Fight

Putting it that way, it doesn't make it 4x effective in the effective direction, but this way allows for versatility and backwards effectiveness. (Grass being weak to Fire, but Dark being effective towards Psychic, and so forth...)

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    I'm confused.

Questioning why Grass beats Water is like questioning why Fire beats Ice. :/

Since Ice is literally water ... fire should be super effective against it!
    And whats the deal with steel being super effective against rock? Why can psychic deal double damage to poison? How in the world does dark beat psychic? Dont psychics communicate with ghosts? If so, why do ghost type pokemon beat psychic type pokemon on matchup. Whats the deal with flying pokemon dealing double damage to fighting? Whats up with dragon type pokemon being weak to Ice? How does grass, which needs ground to grow, pwn ground types?

Fire being super effective against electric would also bring imbalances to the metagame, such as Zapdos having another weakness. Electabuzz / Magmar evolution lines being imbalanced. Pikachu being just another starter, which suggests that Ash woke up on time.

Years
  • I'm confused.

Questioning why Grass beats Water is like questioning why Fire beats Ice. :/

Since Ice is literally water ... fire should be super effective against it!
    And whats the deal with steel being super effective against rock? Why can psychic deal double damage to poison? How in the world does dark beat psychic? Dont psychics communicate with ghosts? If so, why do ghost type pokemon beat psychic type pokemon on matchup. Whats the deal with flying pokemon dealing double damage to fighting? Whats up with dragon type pokemon being weak to Ice? How does grass, which needs ground to grow, pwn ground types?

Fire being super effective against electric would also bring imbalances to the metagame, such as Zapdos having another weakness. Electabuzz / Magmar evolution lines being imbalanced. Pikachu being just another starter, which suggests that Ash woke up on time.

lol, Fire melts ice.
    Power drills can crack concrete.
    Psychokinetic power can separate poison from liquid mixtures.
    Dark types fight dirty and have nasty thoughts, which can overpower Psychics, who have pure consciences.
    Ghosts are one of the number one phobias of the mind.
    Do you know how hard it is to wrangle a wild chicken with your bare hands?
    Dinosaurs were fossilized during the Ice Age.
    Grass needs nutrients to grow, so it absorbs from the ground.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020

lol, Fire melts ice.
    Dark types fight dirty and have nasty thoughts, which can overpower Psychics, who have pure consciences.

Exactly what i thought when i read the questions. Except i replaced the drill with a pickaxe, and that the Psychic > Poison being about magical healing rituals. The Chicken example was funny, but fitting :P

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Sorry, but as much as I find Electric types far more useful on Grass types, I just can't see them replacing the starter type. Because I really don't see how Fire would have an advantage over Electric in any type of situation. The two elements should remain neutral, just as they are now.

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
    Years

• lol, Fire melts ice.
    I think for the flying types, it's more like, they cannot attack what they can't reach XD
    And an addition for ground... Since grass types are rooted on the ground, it's difficult for ground type moves to shake away the grass types which are rooted firmly in the ground...

But seriously... It will make no sense if grass is replaced by electric... My meganium cannot beat water types in one hit, but it can withstand attacks with its defense... Still, it can beat almost all water types thrown at it...

Fire, water and grass are the basic elements, so replacing grass with electric will make no sense... <_<

Back