• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Isshu Region

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Where do the bridges in NYC go?
    Look! To more city.

Where do the bridges in Shanghai go?
    Look! To some rural area.

Where do the bridges in Hiun go?

Oh well, it's just the actual area around Shanghai is more like that of Isshu, although Hiun City is definitely more like New York. The docks, and the bridge sort of just sticking out to the side. That picture Kirbychu gave us was perfect. Hiun is almost definitely New York. The thing is, the area around it isn't. Around Manhattan is, well, more city. Around Shanghai is, well, no city. You also have to keep in mind there's no desert in either of them.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
    Look at all the docks Manhattan has, they match up with Hiun.
    I'm well aware of that, since I've lived in NYC all my life. I originally thought that Hiun City greatly resembled Lower Manhattan when i first saw Hiun's artwork.

While I hope that Isshu is based off NYC, I still think it's a good idea to look over all of the options.

Look! To more city.

Oh well, it's just the actual area around Shanghai is more like that of Isshu, although Hiun City is definitely more like New York. The docks, and the bridge sort of just sticking out to the side. That picture Kirbychu gave us was perfect.
    The Brooklyn Bridge (The bridge that's in the same spot as the Sky Arrow Bridge in Isshu) actually leads to Brooklyn, which, despite being part of the city, has just as many rural areas as (If not more than) urban areas. The only part of NYC that's completely urban is Manhattan, with all of the other Boroughs having a mix of rural and urban. In addition, the entire area west of Manhattan is part of New Jersey, which is very rural.

Last edited:
    Years
    Look! To more city.

Oh well, it's just the actual area around Shanghai is more like that of Isshu, although Hiun City is definitely more like New York. The docks, and the bridge sort of just sticking out to the side. That picture Kirbychu gave us was perfect. Hiun is almost definitely New York. The thing is, the area around it isn't. Around Manhattan is, well, more city. Around Shanghai is, well, no city. You also have to keep in mind there's no desert in either of them.
    Wouldn't it be kind of boring to just travel from a city to more city? Just sayin' that Pokemon regions are always altered from their real-life counterparts.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm well aware of that, since I've lived in NYC all my life. I originally thought that Hiun City greatly resembled Lower Manhattan when i first saw Hiun's artwork.

While I hope that Isshu is based off NYC, I still think it's a good idea to look over all of the options.

The Brooklyn Bridge (The bridge that's in the same spot as the Sky Arrow Bridge in Isshu) actually leads to Brooklyn, which, despite being part of the city, has just as many rural areas as (If not more than) city-like areas. In addition, the entire area west of Manhattan is part of New Jersey, which is very rural.
    Same here we should look at all of them. Oh wait the Geography could be that of shanghai while Huin city is based on NYC just like Sootopolis is based on a city in greece so they both are right ;). So the rest of Isshu is based on Shanghai while only the City is based on NYC :)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Wouldn't it be kind of boring to just travel from a city to more city? Just sayin' that Pokemon regions are always altered from their real-life counterparts.

That argument can work for Shanghai, too. Actually, that works better for Shanghai, because they usually only change the physical characteristics of the region. Compare Kanto region to Kanto in Japan. They can warp the physical aspects of the region, but rarely do they make a change as big as smothering a whole load of city and making up a mountain range.

Years
    That argument can work for Shanghai, too. Actually, that works better for Shanghai, because they usually only change the physical characteristics of the region. Compare Kanto region to Kanto in Japan. They can warp the physical aspects of the region, but rarely do they make a change as big as smothering a whole load of city and making up a mountain range.
    But the mountains on the eastern side of Isshu don't seem to match up with Shanghai either, and Manhattan has a rectangular shape that matches up to Isshu as is. Shanghai has to be distorted just to fit.

Here is Shanghai's real position and shape.

The Isshu Region

New York is rectangular, Shanghai is like a triangle.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    "Pokemon regions are always altered from their real-life counterparts."

Fact is, both are equally likely. New York with its physical shape, Shanghai with its urban-ness shape.

valor555

The Only Light in the Deep Sea
    Years
    yeah but there is a difference between "altered" and Distorted, altered you make a few tweaks here and there (NYC), distorted you need to completely reshape it (Shanghai)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I was doing my best to avoid coming into this thread and saying this but Isshu is most likely largely influenced by America and our cites. Keep arguing it MistahDude and MRAS!

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Nintendo's distorted every area they've based a region off, bar Sinnoh. Go compare Kanto region with Kanto in Japan, then Johto with the block of land next to it. I honestly don't see much of a resemblance, especially with Johto.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    Also about Wooguru you can see a red star around the head dress so that must make it a bald eagle for sure.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    America influences the entire world more than anyone wants to admit... anyway, this region starting at Route 1? It's apparent that they really were going for a rebirth of the franchise.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Well don't forget that they made Jewish based pokemon those being : The 4 Regis, The weather Trio oh and Shaymin which is named after one of the heavens... That doesn't mean that Hoenn and Sinnoh were in Israel does it?

Years
    I was doing my best to avoid coming into this thread and saying this but Isshu is most likely largely influenced by America and our cites. Keep arguing it MistahDude and MRAS!
    What about meh? D:

Nintendo's distorted every area they've based a region off, bar Sinnoh. Go compare Kanto region with Kanto in Japan, then Johto with the block of land next to it. I honestly don't see much of a resemblance, especially with Johto.
    Trusting the information from this page they look like they've haven't had such a drastic alteration as Shanghai to Isshu, Kanto's probably the biggest change.

I still think the New York skyline at the top of Masuda's blog has some relevance to Black and White. 3:

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Well don't forget that they made Jewish based pokemon those being : The 4 Regis, The weather Trio oh and Shaymin which is named after one of the heavens... That doesn't mean that Hoenn and Sinnoh were in Israel does it?

Lol, but Wooguru is blatant symbolism of America, besides, there is no star to even talk about :P

Oh, and Kirbychu!

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Yeah, agreeing with Kirbychu.

Personally, I think the developers heard Jay-Z and were hooked.

Waiting for the Isshu parody. >_>

Back