• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Flying Monotype Challenge - Emerald Kaizo Edition - Update #4

Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Box
    Spoiler:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Monotype Challenge - Emerald Kaizo Edition - Update #5

to avoid triple posting, I've edited this post with the 5th update ^^

Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Box
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    Pokémon Ultimate Flying Monotype - Fire Red Chapter 2

Spoiler:

[To be continued]

My Team so far:
    Spoiler:

Badges:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Flying Monotype Challenge - Emerald Kaizo Edition - Update #6

almost near the finish line!
    Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Box
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Flying Monotype Challenge - Emerald Kaizo Edition - Update #7 Finale

Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Box
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    FireRed Water Monotype Update #4:

It's been several months since I last updated, and I haven't played too much, but I have made a bit of progress since my last update. My team is headed for Fuschia City and gym badge #5. Horsea (now Seadra) has also joined the ranks, and is well on its way to catching up to the other team members.

The team:
    Blastoise
    Gyarados
    Vaporeon
    Seadra

Mostly in the 40s.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2021
    Forum User Name: Smotemotem
    Game(s): Sword
    Pokémon Type: Ground
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate:Optional.

I completed the ultimate run back in a previous iteration of the thread, during Gen 7. Gotta get caught back up and lock in this game as a Ground Champ.

Thank you!

Edit: My Ult-Ground run started here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=388312&page=9

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2021
    Sword - Part 1
    Slow start, but it should snowball from here. I tried to do this earlier this year, but I was burnt out from my normal playthrough. I'm already farther than I made it on that attempt.

Spoiler:

Current Team:
    diglett.png
    swinub.png
    bunnelby.png
    drilbur.png
    mudbray.png
    tympole.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2021
    Sword - Part 2

Spoiler:

Current Team:
    dugtrio.png
    swinub.png
    diggersby.png
    excadrill.png
    golett.png
    palpitoad.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2021
    Sword - Part 3

Spoiler:

Current Team:
    dugtrio.png
    mamoswine.png
    diggersby.png
    excadrill.png
    golurk.png
    seismitoad.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jul 21, 2022
    Forum User Name: MaskXP
    Game(s): SoulSilver
    Pokémon Type: Normal
    Single/Ultimate: Single

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2021
    Forum User Name: FollowTheCreed
    Game(s): Emerald
    Pokémon Type: Fire
    Single/Ultimate: Single (for now)

Chapter 1: Rock
    Story
    Spoiler:

My Team
    Spoiler:

Chapter 2: Fighting
    Story
    Spoiler:

My Team
    Spoiler:

Chapter 3: Electric
    Story
    Spoiler:

My Team
    Spoiler:

Chapter 4: Fire
    Story
    Spoiler:

My Team
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2021
    Sword - Part 4 - Finale - MAJOR SPOILERS

All done! So that's a monotype ground run done, in all 8 main-game regions. May I please have ultimate ground champ credit?

Spoiler:

Final Team:
    dugtrio.png
    mamoswine.png
    diggersby.png
    excadrill.png
    golurk.png
    seismitoad.png

Years
  • a lot of my current playthroughs are wrapping up soon, so I'm starting a new one for the future ^^

Forum User Name: Wuzzy
    Game(s): Blaze Black 2
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Single/Ultimate: Single

Years
  • poison.gif
    Monotype Challenge - Pokemon Blaze Black 2 Edition - Update #1

Some rules I will be following during this playthrough...
    • I'm allowed to use the same amount of healing items the opposing trainer uses. Which means that if a trainer has access to 2 healing items, then I'll be able to use 2 healing items in battle. This means that because no other trainer uses Revives, Revives are banned from being used within a battle
    • Game will be played in Challenge Mode
    • The run will end when I beat Iris and enter the Hall of Fame for the first time

Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Box
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • poison.gif
    Monotype Challenge - Pokemon Blaze Black 2 Edition - Update #2

Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Box
    Spoiler:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

poison.gif
    Monotype Challenge - Pokemon Blaze Black 2 Edition - Update #3

to prevent flooding, I edited the 3rd update to this post
    Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Box
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Part #4 - Yeah, I'm still doing this​

So I picked this up again for lack of anything else to do...here I was, thinking I would be done with this within a month. I'll be lucky to finish it at the end of the year this rate.

SO. I have decided to drop Golbat and Pidgeotto (sorry guys, maybe in HeartGold) and focus on Charizard and Dragonair...I'll fill my team out with Articuno when I get to it. Realistically I don't need anything else to finish the game, and those two need around 180,000 EXP each to get to Level 55 (rough endgame level target, might go for 60 if I feel like it) and I just don't have the time or energy to needlessly grind. So this is a minimalist run!

Blasted through Erika's Gym as expected...Charmeleon evolved. Team Rocket's Hideout wasn't too difficult either, but Lavender Tower...ugh, I should not have tried to use that place to train my Dratini, which had a weaksauce Shock Wave and Dragon Rage. Gastly are the absolute WORST things to grind off, did you know? If it's not Confuse Ray, it's Lick. Paralysis, Confusion, Spite on my Dragon Rage, Night Shade to reduce my HP by a fairly hefty amount all things considered, and...ugh. Why do they never use Curse when I want them to?! That was...not fun. Not fun at all.

Next stop is Fuschia City for Strength and Surf for Charizard and Dragonair respectively - Strength isn't THAT bad really as an attack move - and then it'll be back to clear Team Rocket out of Saffron City probably. By which point I will hopefully be able to destroy Erika and Sabrina's Gyms without too much difficulty. Hopefully before the end of this month, but I make no promises...

Stats:

Trainer Name: Dawn
    Playtime: 9:21

Current Team
    Three times faster than the average Charizard - Level 37
    Putting on Dragonairs - Level 33

Badges: 4/8

Game(s): Fire Red, HeartGold, Emerald/Alpha Sapphire (depends on my mood), Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Moon, Shield
    Pokémon Type: Flying
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

pkmin3033

Part #5 - The in-between bits​

Whoah boy. When did this become FUN again?

So dropping everything except for Charizard and Dragonair was a fantastic idea - it turns out the game is MUCH less grindy and tedious when you only have 2 Pokemon to worry about, and those 2 Pokemon are 10+ levels above everything else. This afternoon I blasted down the cycling route, out of Fuscia City, and cleared out Silph Co. Both my Pokemon went up by over 10 levels apiece. Muahahaha.

Still, this has been an eye-opening experience on just how relaxed the grind in modern Pokemon games has become - in 3 hours in XY I probably could have done this for six Pokemon. In 3 hours in Shield I could have a full team of level 100. I'm surprised I didn't notice it...but then, it HAS been quite a few years since I dived into a Gen III title. My interest in replaying usually begins at Gen IV...stops at Gen IV too.

So yeah. I demolished Koga with little difficulty too...although Hypno are surprisingly resistant to Flamethrower. That was somewhat vexing. Turns out I'd somehow amassed 140k in money again from all these trainer battles, so I've bought 20 Ultra Balls and I'm going to try my hand at catching Zapdos, because why not. Then it'll be off to Seamfoam Islands for Articuno. Using two Legendary Birds is probably cheating in some rulebook somewhere, but not this rulebook here, and honestly they're more for variety than anything else - between the two of them, Charizard and Dragonair have pretty great coverage, and when Dragonair involves it'll probably be able to clear the E4 all by itself, especially if I level it up to 61 for Outrage. Which I might. It'll depend on how the levelling goes, since it'll probably be all I use between now and the Pokemon League...it has Shock Wave and Surf. I've got Blaine, Giovanni, and a lot of swimmers to take care of. Hoo boy.

Stats:

Trainer Name: Dawn
    Playtime: 12:31

Current Team
    Big Orange Dragon Thing - Level 51
    Long Slimy(?) Blue Dragon Thing - Level 47

Badges: 5/8

Game(s): Fire Red, HeartGold, Emerald/Alpha Sapphire (depends on my mood), Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Moon, Shield

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2023
    Forum User Name: Razzu117
    Game(s): Fire Red, Soul Silver, Emerald, Pearl, Black, Y, Moon, Sword

Just started Fire Red. I didn't choose the Flying type on my own. I used a spin wheel to help randomize it for me to give even MORE of a challenge. This is my first time doing a Monotype challenge. Excited to see how it goes!

Oct. 05/20 UPDATE: Took some time, but I got lucky and beat Brock with Butterfree. And by lucky I mean, he didn't use Rock Tomb!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024

It's been a long time since I've last posted, but mono Normal run on Emerald complete!

Poof - lv 57
    Thunder/Fire Blast/Blizzard/Disable

George - lv 55
    Psybeam/Confusion/Stomp/Agility

Jiggy - lv 55
    Headbutt/Rock Smash/Slash/Surf

Birdo - lv55
    Wing Attack/Aerial Ace/Fly/Steel Wing

Snoozy - lv56
    Slash/Counter/Swagger/Cut

SHHH - lv55
    Stomp/Strength/Earthquake/Overheat

I'll start on my next mono normal run soon, not sure which game yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back