• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Forum User Name: TheHumanCleric
    Game(s): Shield
    Pokémon Type: Ice
    Single/Ultimate: Single, Ice is basically not viable in any other game.

Technically I've already started this, but I thought I'd share my progress somewhere.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Since it's been a while since I last did a Monotype, and as far as I can gather, "All mon available" / Difficulty hacks don't count for Ultimates, let's start with an easy-ish type:

Forum User Name: von Sternen
    Game(s): Fire Red, Crystal, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, X, Sun
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

Edit: FireRed - Update #1
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Second and final update of FireRed. Onwards to Johto! And to spice things up, I think I'll retire every line that get to champion status as we go.

Spoiler:

Edit: Johto came and went, let's try ... Platinum this time around
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Platinum's first update.

Spoiler:

Edit: Platinum's second and final update
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Forum User Name: Transwiththeplans
    Game(s): Sword + Expansion Pass
    Pokémon Type: Ice
    Single/Ultimate: Single

A week or so ago, I saw a video on the WORST types to use for each region, monotype wise. To my shock, I saw that Rock was the worst type. Now...I submit THIS as evidence of Ice being the most challenging Monotype.

Under the game of "Sword", using Ice types starts at being fun and exciting, but then you realize you have to deal with Nessa, Kabu, Bea, Gordy, Chairman Rose and Leon. Oh, and Nessa and Bea again toward endgame. On paper, this sounds hard. That's because it is. And I love a good challenge. Here's the rules I must adhere too;

>Limited use of grinding
    >Limited use of items in game
    >Careful strategy
    >Choose Grookey so rival has Sobble and Leon has Scorbunny

Team Options:

At the front of my team will always the Hail setter. There's a few, with Abomasnow, Vanilluxe and Alolan Ninetales. For the start of the game, I'll have to use Abomasnow (or transfer in an egg of a HA Vulpix). Abomasnow sounds like a good edition, but then you remember it's 4x weakness to Fire. Ninetales sounds a little bit better, but then you remember the 4x weakness to Steel. That's going to be a large problem throughout my run, so, I'll have to persevere somehow. I decided to go with Alolan Ninetales in the final team because it's fast and it can easily be obtained by doing the Diglett Finding challenge on the Isle of Armor.

Alolan Sandshrew poses an interesting ability- Slush Rush. I could use it as an early game fast Pokemon before I possibly replace it with a HA Arctozolt from the Crown Tundra dens, but I think I'll stick with Sandshrew for now.

There are two new Ice variants available; one is Darmanitan, a surprising but not welcome addition. He has a strong ability in "Gorilla Tactics", which is a Choice Band ability. It does have a fast speed tier as well. If I really wanted to make an effort, I could try to find the HA Darumaka so I could have Ice / Fire stab, but I digress. The second shocking addition is Mr. Mime's regional evolution, Mr. Rime. Mr. Rime has…abilities, I guess. 80/75/100 bulk is pretty bad, though. I suppose I could always slap an Evolite on the prevolution, but the loss of HP does not seem worth it. Pooling 252 EVs into defense will yield me…around 127 at Level 50. Mr. Rime will also answer my problems with Bea, but then again, we have other, faster Pokemon that could help "cheese" some results.

Froslass is a Pokemon I have long admired. I used one in my Omega Ruby run, and I believe it yielded some good results. I can't remember. A speed tier of 110 is nothing to scoff at, meaning it could either run a very supportive set, or just troll opponents. Snow Cloak is also a fantastic ability to use w/ Hail on the field. If I were to give this Pokemon a "concrete" moveset at the moment, I'd choose something along the lines of Destiny Bond, an Ice Stab move, Double Team and a good support move to either help defend the team more, or just attack.

There's also three new ice types within the ranks; Arctozolt, Eiscue and Frosmoth. Arctozolt seems like a good Pokemon. 90/90/80 defenses sound pretty good to me, especially one with 100/90 offenses. However, the speed is what really holds it back…yet gives it a niche over a Pokemon like Rotom. Rotom is delegated to one low PP move, Blizzard, whereas Arctozolt gets moves like Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Bolt Beak, Icicle Crash, Freeze Dry and Wild Charge. However, it doesn't have Levitate, but instead Static or Volt Absorb or Slush Rush, which is available in the Crown Tundra. There aren't many Electric types in the region, sadly, so how often I'll utilize this is unknown.

Frosmoth is another fun newcomer; Snom might just be my mascot for this run, just because it's sooooo damn cute. Anyways, Frosmoth is a unique Ice / Bug type, with a large special side, but low Speed, but that can be fixed by Quiver Dance. A concrete moveset at the moment would be Quiver Dance, Ice Beam, Bug Buzz and Giga Drain. At the the time of writing this, I have one on my team, thanks to the recent Raid event.

Now, for the possible gamebreaker; Eiscue. I can't lie, Eiscue is…pretty ugly looking. But, we can look past that; he's an ice Mimikyu with a free restore under Hail, but only under physical attacks. While that sounds bad…it's actually pretty good. Eiscue gets Belly Drum, Liquidation, Icicle Crash, Dive…while he may not get STAB, you have to realize something else; once that stupid Ice Head is broken, his speed goes from 50 to 130. That's one of the fastest speeds in the main game, and Pingu over here could kill you fucking dead with a Liquidation at 6+, Gigantamax Charizard. If he does somehow manage to do so, I will never live it down.

There has been one ice type Gigantamax confirmed; Lapras. While I do not know if you can obtain a Gigantamax Lapras in the main game (and not post), I will be pleasantly shocked if that is the case. If that is the case, I will dedicate time searching for this thing. Lapras has always been a more quiet favorite, and it's G-Max move of setting an Aurora Veil and attacking does sound appealing. It is currently in the Max Raid events, so I could possibly pick that up as an answer for Kabu and Gordie.

I just beat Milo, with a combo between Slush Rush Sandshrew and Snow Warning Vulpix.

It is honestly all down hill from here.

image0.jpg

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    There has been one ice type Gigantamax confirmed; Lapras. While I do not know if you can obtain a Gigantamax Lapras in the main game (and not post), I will be pleasantly shocked if that is the case. If that is the case, I will dedicate time searching for this thing. Lapras has always been a more quiet favorite, and it's G-Max move of setting an Aurora Veil and attacking does sound appealing. It is currently in the Max Raid events, so I could possibly pick that up as an answer for Kabu and Gordie.

G-Lapras only appears in normal raids in Pokemon Shield, and only in 5-star raids, so pretty late in the game. However, if you have the DLC, you can feed a Max Soup to a Lapras to get a G-Max Lapras.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Incorrect- in the Wild Area updates, you can catch a Lapras w/ G-Maxing capabilities- at One Star.

...sadly I'm not lucky enough for that,,,

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Black2's first and final update - this one definitely felt like a slog.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    image0_37.jpg

Update- successfully beat Kabu.

Let's review- caught a Lapras w/ the Gigantamax Factor, dug up a few Ice and Dawn stones from the digging bros, caught an Amaura and named it after a Scottish Doctor...and Kabu took three tries.

Fuckin hate critical hits. I will also NOT be using Eiscue- too few...things to work with. Icicle Crash is also an egg move, so...fun. Now, onto Bea. I think I have a strategy for that...

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Pokémon X - First update:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Pokemon Shield, Ice Type Monorun, Update 1

Progress
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Water monotype - X's second update

I reset the game, got Froakie and Azurill first gym and then as it turns out, Huge Power (Azu)marill is way too strong for most gym leaders.

Iris the female Frogadier
    Level 34
    - Aerial Ace
    - Rock Tomb
    - Water Pulse
    - Quick Attack

Jupiter the male Azumarill
    Level 38
    - Aqua Tail
    - Dig
    - Return
    - Rollout

Badges: 3/8

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • Forum User Name: Valroxen
    Game(s): Fire Red, Heart Gold, Emerald, Platinum*, White, White 2*, X, Ultra Moon, Shield
    Pokémon Type: Flying
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate :3

Really excited to take on the challenge tbh, I tried to Monotype Moon w/ Dragons a while back but the Totem Lurantis completely stopped my Bagon and Dratini and I threw in the towel. I considered different types (basically between Bug or Flying) but in the end I decided Flying would be interesting but not completely over the top for each region, might take on Bug for a harder challenge after if this is a success.

*1: This might changed to the D/P remakes if they're announced and depending on how long it takes for me to get around to it.
    *2: Not sure if this is required for the challenge but I'll probably do it anyway because I want to xD

Silksong

waiting on tomorrow
    Years
    • Age 25
    • he/him
    • Seen Jan 20, 2021
    Forum User Name: Silksong
    Game: Storm Silver
    Pokemon Type: Ground
    Single/Ultimate: Single

I've been going for Nuzlockes lately, so I think it'll be nice to get back to a good ol' fashioned monotype. I usually like to pick a type that isn't used by a gym leader/E4 member, and in Gen 2 and their remakes the only such type is Ground! Plus, I've been wanting an excuse to try out Storm Silver. :)

Valroxen

Years
  • Pokemon Fire Red Flying Monotype - Update 1

Well my journey has finally begun :3
    So naturally I did the basics when starting: Welcomed by Oak, girl character, name Alyssa, rival name Blue because I couldn't think of anything smart etc etc.

So we arrive at the first choice: The starter!
    Luckily this was a pretty easy decision for me because Charmander will become a big boi Charizard some day, making him my first member of the team. I named him 'Icarus' as a sort of reverse reference as he's fire and gains wings instead of burning them up xD.
    After this Blue challenged me to a battle where I swiftly kicked his ass, then did the basic collection stuff like the Town Map, Pokedex and my first set of Pokeballs.

The good thing about this Flying Type run is that I get a lot of Pokemon very early on, so I moved to Route 1 and caught my second team member: Sarah the Pidgey. After a little bit of training we added yet another member on Route 22, adding Kira the Spearow onto the team aswell. Finally the team was rounded out for the early game by catching a Jules the Caterpie in Viridian forest, where after some team grinding evolved into Metapod.

On the way we also fought Blue again on Route 22, where Icarus faced his Pidgey and unfortunately fell, where Kira then had to clean up from and then also took out his Squirtle as well.

From here Viridian Forest was a breeze, with Sarah, Kira and Icarus equally Pecking, Gusting and Embering everything in sight. Even Jules got in on the action and gained EXP from the Metapod's that knew nothing but Hardening, which ended up helping him fully evolve into Butterfree right at the end of the forest.

Unfortunately that was my stopping point arriving in Pewter city, so next time we'll really be up against it with our first proper difficult fight against Gym Leader Brock.

Team:

Jules - Level 10 Butterfree - Tackle, String Shot, Harden, Confusion
    Icarus - Level 10 Charmander - Scratch, Growl, Ember
    Kira - Level 11 Spearow - Peck, Growl, Leer
    Sarah - Level 10 Pidgey - Tackle, Sand Attack, Gust

team.png

Last edited:

Valroxen

Years
  • Pokemon Fire Red Flying Monotype Update 2

So picking up right where things left off, after arriving in Pewter City I took a look at the gym, beating the first training before quickly realising I'd be swiftly under levelled for Brock. To prepare I decided 13 was where I'd go to and so I did some grinding in Viridian Forest where Jules learnt Poison Powder and Icarus learned Metal Claw, moves that would prove pivotal in the battle itself.

Gym 1: Brock
    To begin the fight Brock led with Geodude, which I went with Jules as I wanted to save Icarus for the main event. I went for Confusion which luckily for me did both half HP and managed to confuse it, which didn't really matter because it broke through but then used Defence Curl instead, allowing me to finish the job with another Confusion.

Next up was the big show, Onix. I was genuinely terrified by this thing considering its power and strength, so I knew I had to be smart with my approach. First I decided to stay in with Jules as I knew I could out speed and go for Poisonpowder, so I could stall it out if I needed too and because of Butterfree having Compound Eyes as its ability this was no issue landing it either. It landed and Jules was swiftly deleted from the battlefield with a OHKO Rock Tomb which was expected. Next up I sent in Icarus and decided because I'd still need to live a Rock Tomb the best course of action would be to Growl first and go from there, to my surprise Onix opted for Tackle instead of Rock Tomb which did pitiful damage, I then growled it another 3 times all of which he replied with Tackle. From there it was smooth sailing as he was severely weakened from the Poison and Icarus finished him off with a Crit Metal Claw.

Boulder Badge obtained! (1/8)

After that I tried to leave Pewter City before being interrupted by the greatest gift: THE RUNNING SHOES!!!
    With my new found speed I powered on through the next route, with Jules adding Stun Spore to its arsenal but I quickly reached Mt Moon. I then picked up two new members for my team: inside the Pokemon Centre I spent $500 on Magikarp which I named Tornado (named after one of my favourite Twister ads/Vinesauce clips) and then catching a Zubat in the cave that I named Rhaidan and just like that I had a full team of six!

Plowing through Mt Moon was pretty easy, I trained up Rhaidan a little bit but mainly focused on the old team. Despite the rock Pokemon we managed quite well, mainly thanks to Icarus evolving into Charmeleon and then Jules adding Sleep Powder for yet another status move to use (this was my plan for Jules from the start because Poison/Sleep will be vital for dealing with roadblocks). We also fought our first batch of Team Rocket grunts, as well as snagging a Helix fossil and not before long we were already at Cerulean City.

I dealt with Cerulean pretty much the same way as I did Pewter City, I went into the gym, fought some of the gym trainers before quickly realising how under levelled I was and then going to train. Heading up north, I ran into Blue again which caused me no problems really and blasted quickly through his team and the moved onto Nugget Bridge. While these trainers caused me no trouble, it did end up leading to Sarah evolving into Pidgeotto and upping the strength on my team even further. From there it was easy going, beat the Nugget Bridge, slapped the Rocket grunt, struggled to level up Rhaidan, got the SS ticket from Bill and suddenly we were ready for Misty!

Gym 2: Misty
    This fight was.... a little bit more shakey than the last. To begin I lead with Sarah to deal some heavy damge to hopefully remove the Staryu before it did much damage, unfortunately Quick Attack was a 3HKO and on the second Water Pulse I ended up confused and low health, so I opted to sack Rhaidan so I could heal up Sarah and maybe confuse it with Supersonic. Misty then used a Super Potion as well as Harden, and while Supersonic missed the main thing was the Super Potion so it was all okay, I opted for Jules after due to the Harden weakening the power of Sarah's attacks where Staryu swiftly went down thanks to the Sleep Powder and Confusion combo attack.

Next up, Starmie. In typical me fashion I kept Jules in and used Poisonpowder to start whittling it down, Water Pulse did quite a lot of damage and I knew Jules couldn't do much else with Psybeam so I swapped her out into Tornado, so that the Poison could chip its health down more and this worked a treat. After Tornado went down, I went into Kira to try and finish the job in one Secret Power, and while it didn't kill, the Poison damage was enough to knock out and get us the win.

Cascade Badge obtained! (2/8)

Finishing the session off, I battled another Rocket Grunt, got the TM for Dig and fought a few more trainers before rushing myself to our next location and our toughest challenge yet...

Vermilion City, home of the Electric Gym.

The Team
    Jules - Level 19 Butterfree - Confusion, Poisonpowder, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore
    Kira - Level 19 Spearow - Secret Power, Peck, Pursuit, Leer
    Icarus - Level 20 Charmeleon - Ember, Metal Claw, Smokescreen, Dig
    Sarah - Level 19 Pidgeotto - Gust, Quick Attack, Sand-Attack, Tackle
    Rhaidan - Level 15 Zubat - Leech Life, Astonish, Supersonic
    Tornado - Level 8 Magikarp - Splash

t2.png

Silksong

waiting on tomorrow
    Years
    • Age 25
    • he/him
    • Seen Jan 20, 2021
    SS Ground Run Part 1: Beginnerings

Progress under the thing.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Valroxen

Years
  • Pokemon Fire Red Flying Monotype Update 3

Now that I had arrived in Vermilion City, there was still much to do before the Gym battle itself. For starters I explored the City, starting by picking up the Vs Seeker from the Pokemon Centre, something that would greatly help any grinding I'd need to do, then found a girl that was trading a Farfetch'd for a Spearow and while I do want a Farfetch'd, I hadn't caught another Spearow and I wanted to keep Kira and finally I listened to the Fan Club President witter on about his Ponyta so I could get a Bike Voucher.

My next stop was Route 11, for some grinding because I have two important fights coming up: Blue on the SS Anne and Lt Surge in the Gym (that latter of which terrifies me). After battling all the trainers on the Route the team had grown quite a bit: Rhaidan had finally learnt a good attacking move with Bite (unfortunately its Special in this Gen so its still pretty weak) and also Kira began evolving!..... of which I swiftly stopped. Following the training I then took a trip back to Cerulean City, first catching myself a second Spearow called Fodder and trading my Bike Voucher in. Next I took Fodder to the trainer (which funnily enough was called Elyssa) and got another Flying type to the adventure, the awfully nicknamed: CH'DING the Farfetch'd (seriously why is there only ONE Farfetch'd in the whole game lol). Finally it was time to prepare the team for the Blue fight fully, and by that I mean just leveling up Tornado and that I did, putting the VS Seeker to good use on Route 6, taking on the same Pidgeotto's until young Tornado evolved into Gyarados, also learning Bite to give him an actually decent attacking move along side the Water Pulse TM.

Once aboard the SS Anne I swept all of the decks taking each trainer and grabbing items along the way, Rhaidan also managed to evolve into Golbat and learn Wing Attack and the squad was finally taking shape into being something real strong. So now it was time for the duel of the century, a battle so long, tough and strategic it would shake history forever. Alyssa vs Blue, who would come out on top? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I swept him with no effort. Well then. After that it was smooth sailing, grabbing HM Cut from the Captain and then teaching it to CH'DING so I could get into the gym, replacing Tornado because what's worse in an Electric gym with a Flying Squad, a Water/Flying type. The gym trainers were low effort and the puzzle I nailed first try, so all that stood left was the Lieutenant himself, a fight that terrified me.

Gym 3: Lt. Surge

Voltorb was up first, and we started with luck on our side. I lead with Kira because I wanted to save Jules and Icarus for the Raichu, the Voltorb out sped but opted for Screech instead of attacking, working in my favour as I managed to Paralyze it with Secret Powder, allowing me to go first and finish it off.

Pikachu up next, its low level meant it was nothing special, so I just blew it away with another Secret Power from Kira.

Finally the sole reason I was scared of this fight: Raichu. I opted for the Jules poison strategy again, which would have worked had I not misclicked and gone for Confusion in my quick panic. I was then Paralyzed with Thunder Wave, as suddenly my good luck against Voltorb came back to bite me, with Jules getting fully Paralyzed all three time before the Raichu finished her off with Shock Wave. Next up I tried doing some chip damage with Sarah using Quick Attack, and while it damaged it, it was basically nothing and Raichu drew blood again with Shock Wave. For whatever reason I figured maybe Kira could outspeed the Raichu and go for Secret Power again, despite the fact I still was yet to evolve Kira and took another unnecessary blow in the battle. Finally I decided to grow a brain and sent out Icarus, praying for Shock Wave to do less than half which to my surprise it actually did, to where in one quick Dig we managed to take it out and win a very tension filled fight.

Thunder Badge obtained! (3/8)

Since we still needed CH'DING in my party to use Cut for a bit, I decided to make the most out of it and head through Diglett's Tunnel to get some stuff from Viridian and Pewter City to help me. I collected the Old Amber from the Pewter museum for another flying option later in the game, met with one of Oak's aides for the Flash HM and while looking for other things stumbled across the Move Tutor for Dream Eater, now I checked just of curiosity who could learn it and low and behold a new strategy emerged: Jules could learn it! So I replaced Psybeam with it, as it would combo well with the almost perfect accuracy Sleep Powder thanks to Compound Eyes.

After finished up I headed all the way back to Cerulean City and onto Route 9 and 10, where Rock Tunnel quickly approached. Changes once again happened quickly to the team, with Kira finally reaching Level 25 and learnt Aerial Ace, meaning I could finally allow her to evolve into Fearow. Along side that I also replaced Stun Spore with Flash on Jules as someone had to make the sacrifice, as well as Tornado re-joining the party for CH'DING whilst we took on Rock Tunnel. This however was also a breeze, with Tornado ripping through hoards of Geodude, Graveler and Onix with Water Pulse and catching up to the squad fast, with Icarus also learning Rock Slide from the move tutor inside.

By the end of the session I had arrived in Lavender Town, given Blue another beatdown alongside all the Trainers inside Pokemon Tower and after the stress of Lt Surge, it was nice to know our next Gym Battle would be the easiest one of the run.

The Team
    Jules - Level 24 Butterfree - Dream Eater, Poisonpowder, Sleep Powder, Flash
    Kira - Level 25 Fearow - Secret Power, Aerial Ace, Pursuit, Leer
    Icarus - Level 24 Charmeleon - Ember, Metal Claw, Rock Slide, Dig
    Sarah - Level 24 Pidgeotto - Gust, Quick Attack, Sand-Attack, Whirlwind
    Rhaidan - Level 24 Golbat- Wing Attack, Bite, Supersonic, Astonish
    Tornado - Level 26 Gyarados - Water Pulse, Bite, Dragon Rage, Tackle

Box
    CH'DING - Level 12 Farfetch'd - Peck, Sand Attack, Leer, Cut

(I forgot to take a SS of the Team before I kept playing some more so am sowwy :( )

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back