• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Days
  • Age 19
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
Pokemon Yellow [Mono-Electric (Standard Mode)]
Update 2. Cerulean City -> Vermillion City

[In this post]

-3th Rival Battle
-4th Rival Battle
-Got MO Cut
-Got Bike
-Sandshrew Captured (ONLY FOR MO CUT!)
-Surge Battle

Spoiler: Long text

Spoiler: Team

Attachments

• Sandshrew_A.gif
    Sandshrew_A.gif
    437 bytes · Views: 0
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen yesterday
Single Rock Run
Sapphire / FIRST AND FINAL / Google Maps Never Had It This Good

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
Spoiler:

The full read:
Spoiler:

Team Stats:
Spoiler:

And thus, one more replay to do: Rock, in Black. That'll catch me up, and then I'm on to what my daughter has chosen for the next Ultimate...Fairy. (Just imagine Gen 5...which I know isn't required, but I'm still gonna do all 7...but ouch.)

Sign-Up:
User: StenirRPG
Type: Rock
Game(s): Black
Challenge Type: Single
Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Diamond (Standard Mode)
Mono-Fighting - Black Belt Brutus
Update 4 (Route 212 -> Pastoria Gym)

I got my fourth badge! No moveset changes for my original four team members aside from Meditite finally learning a decent Fighting-type move in Drain Punch, but I caught a Croagunk in the Great Marsh. He was a pain to get, so I'm sticking with this one, even if his nature is suboptimal for the Nasty Plot build I've planned for him later on. I taught him Focus Blast and Toxic via TM, the latter will eventually be replaced once he learns Nasty Plot, but the former is staying on until the end of the game and I've used all three of my PP Ups on it.

Crasher Wake was harder than any of the other Gym Leaders so far, but still went down without too much trouble. His Gyarados led with Swagger and confused Croagunk, and then it used Dragon Rage as Croagunk hurt himself then got a Toxic off. Croagunk shook off the confusion next turn and took advantage of his newly-boosted attack to use Faint Attack, his only physical move. He then got hit by a Bite and another Swagger and used another Faint Attack, this time with +4 Attack stages, to KO Gyarados.

Wake sent out Quagsire, and wasted its first turn on Mud Sport while Croagunk nearly KOed it with two Faint Attacks, before using a Mud Bomb to finally KO Croagunk. I switched to Monferno, and Wake healed his Quagsire, but not enough to stop Grass Knot from KOing it.

Then, Wake switched to Floatzel, his last Pokemon, and, erroneously expecting me to switch out, used Pursuit against Monfero. Monferno hit back with a Grass Knot and dropped it into Sitrus Berry range, leaving it at 70% HP after eating the berry. Floatzel then used Ice Fang, which normally would've been bad but actually froze Monferno this time, and KOed him with a Brine and Pursuit. Then I switched to Meditite, which lost almost, but not quite half of her HP from a Brine and nearly KOed Floatzel with a critical Hidden Power (Grass). The last turn, Meditite nearly fainted to an Ice Fang and KOed Floatzel with another Hidden Power.

Team

Spoiler:

Days
  • Age 19
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
Pokemon Yellow [Mono-Electric (Standard Mode)]
Update 3. Vermillion City -> Lavender Town

[In this post]
-Magnemite Captured
-Got MO Flash
-Rock Tunnel

Spoiler: Long text

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
User: Ahri
Type: Bug
Game(s): Red/ Soul Silver/ Alpha Sapphire/ Platinum/ White 2/ Y/ Moon/ Shield/Violet
Single / Ultimate: Ultimate
Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard Mode
Update: I'm still doing this, I've edited my sign-up post to add Violet to my Ultimate list.

Currently slogging through Pokemon Red, it's absolutely soul crushing to do a Bug Mono in a Gen 1 game.

Long story short, named my characted Eve, named my rival Aeiris after a friend then it took me way too long to beat Brock and go through Mt Moon and stuff.

As for today...
Just beat Misty and my current team consists of Paras, Beedrill and Butterfree as those are the only bugs you get by that point.

Fun fact: My Beedrill knew Focus Energy and I was using it and never critting so I looked it up and found out that in Gen 1 games, the move is bugged and divides your crit chance rather than multiply it. Fun...

So far, Bide has been an absolute asset of a move that carried me through a lot of bs fights. Oh and Stun Spore + Dig was my way of taking down Misty's Starmie so that's up there on the strats I'm gonna keep abusing.

Stats:

Paras

Level 19
Scratch|Stun Spore|Dig

Beedrill
Level 20
Poison Sting|Twineedle|Fury Attack|Bide

Butterfree
Level 20
Tackle|Whirlwind|Confusion|Poison Powder

I won't lie, I considered swapping to something like Pokemon Let's GO more than once but I am determined to make this happen. It's just soooo incredibly slow and grindy...

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Update 5 (Pastoria City -> Hearthome Gym)

This was a short segment from a pure gameplay perspective, but a very eventful one since I fully evolved all of my team members! Monferno, Machoke, Meditite, and Croagunk all grew up to become an Infernape, Machamp, Medicham, and Toxicroak out in the wilds near Celestic Town. Infernape also replaced Mach Punch with Close Combat, Machamp learned Brick Break via TM (I should've gotten it after Eterna, but I forgot I could get it with only the bike until now), Toxicroak learned Shadow Ball via TM and Nasty Plot via level up, and finally Medicham learned all three Elemental Punches from the Move Relearner after it evolved. This will most likely be Medicham's final moveset, though she's definitely getting a better held item later.

My rival didn't give me much trouble, but Fantina was the most difficult gym battle yet, mostly because of her absurdly lucky Drifblim. I led with Toxicroak, set up Nasty Plot twice, but after only one Minimize he missed with a Shadow Ball even with the Wide Lens held item, and then it used Minimize twice more, raised all its stats with an Ominous Wind, and fainted Toxicroak before he so much as scratched Drifblim. I switched to Infernape, set Stealth Rock, then tried to hit in vain before it fainted Infernape too.

Luck very obviously not being on my side, I decided to do away with accuracy checks altogether and switched to my No Guard Machamp. Both Pokemon nearly KOed each other with a pair of Rock Tombs and Gusts, and I healed back up after Fantina did. This time around, Machamp 3HKOed Drifblim as it used an Ominous Wind and raised all its stats again, but wasted its last move on Astonish, which did next to nothing.

Fantina switched to Mismagius, which nearly KOed Machamp with Magical Leaf, but Machamp hit back with Payback and 1HKOed it. Then she sent out Gengar, her last Pokemon, and finished off Machamp with a Poison Jab. I switched to Heracross, which got hit and poisoned by Poison Jab while he used Swords Dance, and hit back the next turn with a Rock Tomb to lower its speed. Gengar wasted its last move on Spite, and Heracross outsped on the last turn because of Rock Tomb and KOed it with an Aerial Ace.

Finally, I got a Choice Specs in Celestic Town, one of the few instances in official Pokemon games where choice items are available before the postgame. I can't use it just yet, since my only special attacker requires Nasty Plot setup, but next segment I should have my final team member, who will definitely use it ASAP once I don't need it holding the Exp. Share.

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Update 6 (Route 218 -> Canalave Gym)

Another gym down, and I got and trained my final party member, Lucario! I'm taking advantage of the midgame Choice Specs to give her a special-attacking moveset, currently with Aura Sphere, Psychic, Dark Pulse, and Water Pulse. I hatched Riolu at Iron Island ASAP after getting surf, fed her a bunch of Kelpsy berries I've been growing to prepare for a quick Friendship evolution, spent a while exploring all the new areas with it holding the EXP share to get her into the high 20s, then had her fight the trainers in Route 221 and solo the Canalave Gym.

Byron was the easiest gym battle yet; Lucario 2HKOed Bronzor with Choice Specs-boosted Aura Sphere (getting mildly damaged by an Extrasensory), and 1HKOed both Steelix and Bastiodon.

The only other moveset changes I made were to teach U-turn to Infernape, and Shadow Claw to Heracross, both via TM very early in this segment.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
As we start our journey, I want to mention two other rules. 1., I have to beat all the trainers in every province before leaving, and 2., try to stay in the level caps for all the major fights.

As we begin our electrifying journey, I choose Fuecoco to give Nemona the harder starter against the buzzy bois, but immediately dump my fire croc for the lonely Pawmi we find in Cabo Poco. We name it Yeeja, and move onwards to South Area 1, which has us catching Pichu(Meli), Pachirisu(Felicia) and Oricorio(Helena). After blowing Nemona out of the water in our second battle, we do all the boring stuff in Mesagoza, grab our Tera Ball, get on Miraidon and head off to South Area 2.

Immediately coming to South Area 2, we catch a Mareep and aptly name it Zammy, while also getting a Tadbulb and naming that Gumpy. As we fight all the trainers and eventually Katy, it was all a breeze. Katy being a bug leader, Helena with Air Cutter, she made quick work of the Gym. That's one badge down.

Heading out towards South Area 3, we catch a Shinx(Ted), battle all of the trainers, and have a few of our members evolve. With a beefed up team, we went to the Titan Klawf, but was just as easy as the bug gym with the newly evolved Pawmot, Arm Thrusting the crab to death. With this, we pause for the night....

Spoiler: Current Team

Spoiler: Benchwarmers

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen yesterday
Single Rock Run
Black / FIRST AND FINAL / Finally Caught Up

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
Spoiler:

The full read:
Spoiler:

Team Stats:
Spoiler:

So, starting up Fairy soon. Got the full list of everything I can get...and it's gonna be a very interesting assortment of Pokemon. I'll be going back to a little more detail then trying to push through the entire game in a single post, so probably will see a couple posts per game going forward.

Sign-Up:
Type: Fairy
Game(s): Red, Gold, Ruby, Brilliant Diamond, Black, Y, and Sun
Challenge Type: Ultimate

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
The battles with N and Ghetsis are sort of simplistic. I did have to waste a bunch of turns to let Reshiram faint.
I would prefer that, next time, you get a full party for the battle against N so you don't have to do this. (They don't have to actually be good, just there to take up slots so that you don't have to lead with a Pokemon you can't fight with.) Even if you don't, N's Reshiram/Zekrom uses two moves with only 5 PP, so it's better to switch out if you do end up stuck with a wrong-type box legend on your side of the field.

I've added notes in the game-specific rules for BW and XY for these exact situations just now. (XY does the same thing with Lysandre's last battle, and he leads with a Mienshao that can potentially Swords Dance -> High Jump Kick into KOing itself if you don't immediately switch out Xerneas/Yveltal.)

Your run is still qualified and I'll be editing it into the HOF after I post this, but just something to keep in mind for future runs.

So, starting up Fairy soon. Got the full list of everything I can get...and it's gonna be a very interesting assortment of Pokemon. I'll be going back to a little more detail then trying to push through the entire game in a single post, so probably will see a couple posts per game going forward.

Sign-Up:
Game(s): Red, Gold, Ruby, Brilliant Diamond, Black, Y, and Sun

Are you using any romhacks to add the Fairy type? Red, Gold, Ruby, and Black don't have the Fairy type at all so it's not possible to do a mono-Fairy run in the vanilla games. (In any case, they're also not required for the Game Mastery challenge for those games, for obvious reasons.)

You can straight up skip Johto/Unova if you don't want to use romhacks (though if you do want to, I highly recommend Blaze Black 2 Redux for Unova), and skip Kanto if you don't want to play LGPE, but at the very least you will need to play a Hoenn game with the Fairy type, such as ORAS.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen yesterday
So, here was my thought. Since they weren't required, I was just going to do them with the ones that became Fairy type. Like how, if you really wanted to do a Steel in Gen 1, you'd be using the Magnemite line. But, for example, Gen 1 has three lines that turned Fairy: Jigglypuff, Clefairy, and Mr. Mime. I was going to do a run that way. I totally forgot about ORAS, but I can certainly add ORAS to the list. If the others don't count for anything, can I put them as optional, and then probably just turn Ruby in OR. But is there some way I can "unofficially" track the others? If they don't count for something, that's fine, but I still want to give them the old college try with "those that became Fairy".

Additional Thoughts:
- Officially, I'll do Omega Ruby, Y, Sun, and BD.
- Unofficially, I'm doing runs in Red, Gold, and Black to get the ones that don't have a version with Fairy in it. But only in those three, I'm only using what became Fairy.

If we're just going to track OR, Y, Sun, and BD, that's fine. I'll do the others on the side and won't track them. I'm used to doing all 7 somehow lol

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen today
I considered doing a pseudo-fairy-type run in Ruby/Sapphire, but I decided against it because I already got my work cut out for me.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
So, here was my thought. Since they weren't required, I was just going to do them with the ones that became Fairy type. Like how, if you really wanted to do a Steel in Gen 1, you'd be using the Magnemite line. But, for example, Gen 1 has three lines that turned Fairy: Jigglypuff, Clefairy, and Mr. Mime. I was going to do a run that way. I totally forgot about ORAS, but I can certainly add ORAS to the list. If the others don't count for anything, can I put them as optional, and then probably just turn Ruby in OR. But is there some way I can "unofficially" track the others? If they don't count for something, that's fine, but I still want to give them the old college try with "those that became Fairy".
They would not count as a monotype run since they aren't actually the same type in those games. You are welcome to do a "those that become Fairy" run, but I'd like to ask that you take it to a separate thread to track it, since they aren't Fairy-types in-game.

That being said, if your not-yet-Fairy-types end up being the same non-Fairy type, you're welcome to post here as part of a different type's monotype. (e.g. the only Pokemon in BW that becomes Fairy is Cottonee/Whimsicott, so it'd be a de facto mono-Grass run. You'd have play in Free Mode to hack/trade it as a starter though, since Snivy's available as a starter already.)

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen yesterday
So, would this be more accurate then:

Sign-Up:
Game(s): Omega Ruby, Y, and Sun, optional Brilliant Diamond

Last edited:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Been a while huh?

Heartgold ground mono part 4:

Spoiler:

Team
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Alrighty, Day 2-ish.

After the beatdown of the Titan Klawf, we proceed to easily beat Brassius, as the same strategy as Katy was implemented here. Almost too easy...

Then once finished with the, we went towards West Area 1. We grabbed a Thunder Stone and accidentally evolved Mela into a Raichu instead of Grumpy into a Bellibolt, so kind of contemplated life for a while after that. Continued to fight all the trainers and went to Titan Bombirdier. Being a team full of electric types, it was a breeze.

Immediately after was the Team Star Dark base. With our trusty Yeeja, we sumo'd the base into submission.

With us heading to East Area 1 and 2, we caught a Magnemite(Hins), Pincurchin(Groupon), Wattrel(Enel) and Rotom(Hank). After lots of switching while fighting the trainers, they're all pretty even in level (23-25) and we go to destroy our favorite streamer, Iono.

...easy. Mela just Double Team + Nasty Plot + Agility and swept. I was not risking having my first Pokemon faint on this stupid fight. But eh, easy.

Star Fire Base wasa cinch using our new Bellibolt and Pincurchin, we caught a Voltorb(Rola) in East Area 3, beat up the bully Titan Orthworm, fought all the trainers between here and West Area 2 and Asado Desert, and gambled our money to buy some rare ingredients for Kofu. And as we sit in the waiting room to start our next gym battle, we rest for the night...

Spoiler: Current Team

Spoiler: Benchwarmers

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Spoiler: Day 3

Spoiler: Day 4 and Finale

The Elite Four, for the most part, was 50/50. Rika gave me the most trouble, as being a ground trainer. And Hassal was a hassle, with his Excalibur. But otherwise, it went fine, and Geeta was also a breeze.
Spoiler: Elite Four

Arven's biggest threat was the Toedscruel, who can outspeed the majority of my team, and also being immune AND having Spore. But we manage to beat him out.
Spoiler: Arven

Penny is... Penny was... no point in going indepth with her.
Spoiler: Penny

Nemona can be a bit scary, but we had a well balanced team to take out each of her mons. No hassle at all.
Spoiler: Nemona

As we get the call to head to Area Zero, I made a team solely for the Turo fight, and decided to not level everyone, as that'd be a waste. If I maybe do the DLC, then we'll throw them back into the party and level them up.

Now, for the fight itself, overall it was an average battle. Our Feesh was able OHKO the Iron Moth, Iron Thorns done in by Gumpy, and Iron Jugulis by a well placed Thunder from Zammy. Iron Hands was a bit of an issue, as Gumpy was a bit low and didn't outspeed, so I did as much damage as I could and killed with Enel. Iron Bundle was went and died to Zammy's Thunder.
Iron Valiant was an issue. Enel missed his Hurricane and ended up dead. Then I got a good paralysis off from Gumpy and sacrificed him using Mud Shot and Chilling Water. That was enough damage for my favorite, Zammy, to beat with a Dazzling Gleam. And with that, Mono Electric is finished!
Spoiler: Professor Turo

To be honest, this was my second mono electric run I've done, I completed one on stream before. But knowing which mons I can get early, and try to incorporate all of the Electric types, it was fun. I wanted to get Hisuian Voltorb, since there was an event outbreak, but I felt it wasn't fair since it wasn't native to Paldea. I also could have farmed for the Rotom Catalogue, but I felt constantly changing Rotoms type was also unfair, so kept him as the original form. I will keep the save for now, and may revisit to do the DLC. But with the credits being seen, this is now a complete run!

Spoiler: Final Team

Onto the next one!
Sign-Up:
User: Pluckles
Type: Bug
Game(s): SV
Challenge Type: Game Mastery

Last edited:
Back