• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
    Finished Alpha Sapphire for my Dark run, it was actually a lot of fun :) I love the DexNav so damn much! Used it to get some good moves/abilities on some of my mons.

Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Badges
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Gym Leaders & Pokémon League
    Spoiler:
    Final Team
    Spoiler:

In case anyone is wondering where I got all my Life Orbs, you can get them on wild Absol. I got them while farming for a good natured Absol with Play Rough.​

Years
    Since I had a ton of fun doing FireRed Omega normal monotype I want to do some more challenges on that hack ^^ I might eventually do all types on that hack :3 Now for the start I am going to do the three starter types- Fire, Ice and Electric - I am gonna see what kinda teams I want as I go along :3

Forum User Name: AoTora
    Pokémon Type: Fire
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game(s): FireRed Omega

Pokémon Type: Ice

Pokémon Type: Electric

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Since i had so much fun in my Electric monotype challenge, I guess I'll play another monotype challenge on a type that I'm sorta used to this time.

Forum username: Mega XinZhao
    Type: Grass
    Challenge: Single (Tri-Regional)
    Games: Fire Red Throwback (Kanto), Emerald: National Dex Edition (Hoenn), Crystal (Johto)

Challenge will be played as soon as I find the time to do so.
    Bulbasaur, Treeko, and Chikorita can finally have some action.

Years
    Pokemon Blue Water Monotype Challenge update 2!
    -made it through Mt. Moon, picked the dome fossil.
    -taught Mikey Mega Punch from a tm I found.....after getting beaten by Sally (rival)....
    -went around the cape and defeated all the trainers.
    -Challenged Cerulean Gym and beat Misty easily by Mega Punching both her stars til they saw stars.
    -Nudged Sushi to Lv. 20 and it finally evolved into a Gyrados.
    -Defeated the Rocket and got the Dig tm.
    -Going to head south from Cerulan.

Current Team
    Mikey, Lv. 25 Wartortle
    Sushi, Lv. 20 Gyrados

Years
    Hey if I do an ultimate run can I use liquid crystal for second gen???

Name: idlephantom
    type: ground
    Challenge: ultimate
    Games: Leaf Green, Liquid Crystal/Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black, X

also was wondering if as i am using a randomiser to change trade evolutions can i also change a starter to a ground type???

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Hey if I do an ultimate run can I use liquid crystal for second gen???

Name: idlephantom
    type: ground
    Challenge: ultimate
    Games: Leaf Green, Liquid Crystal/Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black, X

also was wondering if as i am using a randomiser to change trade evolutions can i also change a starter to a ground type???
    Ground types are available early enough in each game that hacking is unnecessary. But yes, you may use Liquid Crystal for Johto.

Years
    Cool cheers for the help and clarification i'm starting my X run already

Right so here is my first update on my monotype run, staring with pokemon X for no reason other than I haven't played it in a while.
    - Caught my first team member:

The Monotype Challenge

Bunnelby: GodFather (M)
    Nature Brave

- Never used one before in any of my runs of X so should be cool to use it.
    - Made my way through the forest and beat all the trainers in the areas around santalune city and just about to enter the gym.
    - Beat Viola and got my first badge
    View attachment 74139
    View attachment 74140
    Had a bit of hard time with this Gym Leader as was a low level so i used 3 X-Attacks and 3 X-Defense and agility till i had +6 speed when the surskit was out and then out sped here Vivillon and destroyed her.
    - Here are Godfathers moves and level after the gym:

The Monotype Challenge

LVL 14
    Quick Attack
    Double Slap
    Agility
    Mud-Slap

Now onwards to Lumiose City

Last edited by a moderator:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge: Alpha Sapphire
    1/8

I decided to continue my Bug Ultimate with Alpha Sapphire. So far it has been a lot of fun, and I can't wait to get the rest of my team.

The Monotype Challenge
    Dustox F
    Lv. 16, Modest
    -Confusion
    -Gust
    -Poison Powder
    -Harden

The Monotype Challenge
    Surskit M
    Lv. 15, Hasty
    -Aqua Jet
    -Quick Attack
    -Sweet Scent
    -Water Sport

The Monotype Challenge
    Nincada M
    Lv. 9, Naive
    -Bug Bite
    -Harden
    -Leech Life
    -Sand Attack

Years
    UPDATE #2

-Made my way up Route 4 towards Lumiose City and beat all the trainers, nothing much happened on the way, GodFather learned Take Down and I gave him Return as well.
    -In Lumiose City I battled Sycamore and beat him with ease as I was 6 levels higher than him, I also bought bulldoze and taught that to GodFather over Mud-Slap, then continued on to Route 5 towards Camphrier Town.
    -Gone through Parfum Palace and the surrounding areas after giving GodFather the amulet so to get the max money I could. Whilst doing this GodFather evolved and is now a Diggersby.
    -Just done the double battle with rivals on Route 7 and this is how GodFather looks right now.
    The Monotype Challenge

LVL 23
    Bulldoze
    Double Kick
    Return
    Quick Attack

PS Wilhelm how did you do that table on your one

UPDATE #3
    Went down route 9 after getting to Ambrette town and got a Sandile I called it DarkFall, I then continued down and went through the glittering cave i then continued over to Cyllage city and took on the gym.

the fight with Grant: the amaura went down quite quickly after after 3 bulldozes due to a potion and the tyrunt went down to 2 bulldozes all from GodFather, it is pretty good.

View attachment 74145

after the gym i went and caught a Golett called Collosus on route 10

TEAM:
    The Monotype Challenge

LVL 29
    Ability: Cheek Pouch
    Nature: Brave
    Return
    Double Kick
    Strength
    Bulldoze

The Monotype Challenge

LVL 23
    Ability: Moxie
    Nature: Gentle
    Bulldoze
    Thief
    Sand Tomb
    Assurance

The Monotype Challenge

LVL 20
    Ability: Iron Fist
    Nature: Quiet
    Mud-Slap
    Rollout
    Shadow Punch
    Iron Defence

Last edited by a moderator:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    I finished my Poison run on Alpha Sapphire.

Here's my final team:

Spoiler:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Began my Tri-Regional Grass challenge.

Imma introduce my trainer: Leafa. Aptly named after the Sword Art Online character because
    The Monotype Challenge

Beginning my challenge on a Fire Red hack called Fire Red Throwback to represent Kanto.

Anyway, after a few retries, i needed the best possible nature of a starter though i didn't want to spend way too much time so i decided for the Quiet Bulbasaur.

The Monotype Challenge
    Maplestreet

Even when outsped by the Rival Kirito's starter charmander, Maplestreet dominated the fight with some tackles. Apparently, the only issue with my bulbasaur is the speed decrease but the increased SPATK and no decrease to ATK will surely help in the longer run.

Headed to pewter city gym and I was able to get Maplestreet evolving to Ivysaur within the gym, thanks to the trainer before Brock.

And as expected, with the bulbasaur starter, one Vine Whip was all it took for each of Brock's mons (4x Grass weakness OP)

Headed to Mt. Moon and on the very first encounter i find the 2nd Grass member of the team, a Paras, which i now named Yoonie. She was also kind enough to have a tiny mushroom on encounter, which will be great for later use.

Current Team:
    Maplestreet, Ivysaur, Quiet Nature lvl20 (Tackle, Vinewhip, Poison Powder, Leech Seed)
    Yoonie, Paras, lvl8, Relaxed Nature, (Scratch, Stun Spore, xx, xx)

Plans for the members:
    Maplestreet - Eventually, he will become our team's all out attacker. With the increased SpAtk stat and no decrease in ATK stat, he will be able to make use of both Grass and Poison moves without much penalty. His only real issue is that he will be often outsped because of his Nature (

Yoonie - Relaxed Nature is really bad in my opinion. Increased Def for decreased speed? Yikes. and the 4x weakness to flying and fire moves will be really annoying for her. It would be hard raising her into a viable champion level monster but I'll see where she goes.

On to Cerulean City and Misty's Gym!

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    Update #3: Normal - X
    Well, turns out I didn't update after the 6th gym, so I figured I'd just finish the game and then post. Overall this was a nice playthrough. I enjoyed using the Pokémon on my team, because I'd never really used any of them before, I had them in boxes before, but never used them. I was most excited about Pyroar and Diggersby. Pyroar because I love fire types and it just looks so great (which is why I searched a while for a male one) and I was told Diggersby's a strong Pokémon. I was a little bit disappointed when I figured out Diggersby was the least useful Pokémon on my team. It only began to get up to par with the rest (yes, even Bibarel!) when it learned Earthquake and Hammer Arm at level 57 and 60 respectively. As I only achieved those levels right before the elite four, I didn't really like using Diggersby that much. As for the rest of my team. Dodrio, Furfrou and Pyroar where powerhouses from the start, they've helped me through many battles. I had my doubts about Heliolisk and Bibarel. Heliolisk surprised me (in a good way), so I might use him in future playthroughs. I considered replacing Bibarel with Wigglytuff, right before the 8th gym, but I didn't feel like training it up and Bibarel was putting in good work. In hindsight I could've switched Diggersby out for it, but meh. I do have sreenshots for the Hall of Fame, so I'll put those in here. I've really enjoyed this run and I'll be doing some more (in the unforeseeable future).

Screens (They're pretty big because I forgot to scale them down, sorry):
    Spoiler:

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Oswald the Timid Diggersby (M) @ Lv.62
    Item: Soft Sand
    Hammer Arm, Rock Tomb, Return, Earthquake

The Monotype Challenge

Eager the Quiet Bibarel (M) @ Lv.63
    Ability: Simple
    Item: Rocky Helmet
    Waterfall, Bulldoze, Strength, Superpower

The Monotype Challenge

Rawr the Quirky Pyroar (M) @ Lv.63
    Ability: Rivalry
    Item: Charcoal
    Crunch, Hyper Voice, Flamethrower, Noble Roar
    The Monotype Challenge

Cranston the Quiet Dodrio (M) @ Lv.63
    Ability: Early Bird
    Item: Sky Plate
    Fly, Thief, Drill Peck, Return

The Monotype Challenge

Wellington the Rash Furfrou (M) @ Lv.62
    Ability: Fur Coat
    Item: Silk Scarf
    Return, Surf, Dig, Bite

The Monotype Challenge

Rango the Careful Heliolisk (M) @ Lv.64
    Ability: Sand Veil
    Item: Magnet
    Return, Thunderbolt, Grass Knot, Focus Blast

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Ultimate Ghost Monotype Black 2 Update:
    -hacked in a Golett
    -defeated rival in Aspertia City
    -defeated rival on Floccesy Ranch
    -defeated Cheren
    -defeated Roxie
    -defeated Burgh
    -caught Yamask in Relic Castle
    -defeated Elesa

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    Managed to beat the 3RD and 4TH gyms since my last update.
    View attachment 74149
    The third gym wasn't to much trouble as i used my Colossus the Golett which was immune to here fighting types of swept with just him.

View attachment 74150
    This gym gave me soo much trouble i mut have tried to beat Ramos 5 times and got destroyed by him every time, i ending up stalling him out on his gogoat using a Gabite called Sithis using sandstorm and healing him up all the time, i evolved from a Gible caught on route 13 and he was a higher level than when he was meant to evolve so after one level bam!! evolution.

Am currently going through the power plant and then on to the easiest going Lumiose city, those electric types gonna die.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Forum User Name: Cymry
    Pokémon Type: Electric
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game: Pokemon Black 2

Back again with an electric Monotype. This time round the theme for nicknames is 'thunder gods'.

Aspertia City -> Toxic Badge
    Spoiler:

Current Team:

Thorthe Bold Flaaffy, ♀, L 15
    Ability: Static
    Item: Oran Berry
    Moves: Tackle, Charge, Thunder Wave, Thunder Shock

(is anyone else enjoying Marvel's new Thor run?)

Jupiter
    the Modest Magnemite, L17
    Ability: Sturdy
    Item: Metal Coat
    Moves: Tackle, Thunder Wave, Thunder Shock, SonicBoom

Tek

Years
    First badge obtained, super training mostly finished. イチ is maxed out in Atk and Spe, 二 is maxed in Atk, サン has a lot of Atk, and シ is untrained.

I think I'll put all remaining EVs into defenses/HP to diversify the gang a bit. Not sure how much to use the Exp Share, sort of winging it.

Years
    So I beat the 5th gym with ease due to having all ground type pokemon, then went and had the battle with my rival and caught pokemon in route 14; a stunfisk.
    View attachment 74154
    Team Update:
    The Monotype Challenge

GodFather the Diggersby
    LVL 40
    Nature: Brave
    Return,Double Kick,Strength,Bulldoze
    The Monotype Challenge

DarkFall the Krookodile
    LVL 40
    Ability: Moxie
    Bulldoze,Crunch,Dig,Foul Play
    The Monotype Challenge

Colosus the Golett
    LVL 38
    Ability: Iron Fist
    Nature: Quiet
    Shadow Punch,Power-Up Punch,Mega Punch,Magnitude
    The Monotype Challenge

Sithis the Gabite
    LVL 40
    Ability: Sand Veil
    Nature: Lax
    Dragon Claw,Shadow Claw,Bulldoze,Dig
    The Monotype Challenge

Doormat the Stunfisk
    LVL 32
    Ability: Limber
    Thunderbolt,Mud Bomb,Discharge,Surf

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Grass monotype challenge update 2:

The Monotype Challenge

Key events:
    1) Fought the first unavoidable Rival battle and shrugged him off. His Pidgeotto and Starter Charmander were the only problems, which the overleveled Maplestreet was able to handle.
    2) Cleared the Nugget Bridge and the trainers heading for Bill. All of them were useful sources of EXP for the rest of the team (Yoonie, and the freshly caught Oddish - Keefl and Bellsprout - LittleJenny)

3) As expected, Misty was not a challenge against Maplestreet. Her usually feared Starmie didn't even bother to use Water Pulse for that chance to confuse.
    4) Traded a spearow that i caught for the Farfetch'd just for Pokedex purposes and of all the trades that would occur, it had to have the ADAMANTnature :(

5) Cleared SS Anne. As expected, any of the Gentleman class trainers with their growlithes were problematic, especially for Yoonie's unfortunate 4x weakness to Fire, and those growlithes are important sources of ATK EVs for Yoonie. As for the rest of the trainers, they were all great sources of EXP for the party with Yoonie and the oddish Keefl evolving throughout the run.

6) Rival Battle against Kirito on SS Anne was quite fun. I didn't switch out my ordering which ended with Yoonie facing off a 4x weakness at the start, but her being way levelved than Kirito's bird (25 vs 17) not even a 4x weakness was enough to stop her. Maplestreet vs Charmelion was pretty funny, since Char would have taken him down but Maplestreet is too stronk against a Fire weakness. Kadabra came next, Razor leaf and he was SPATK EVs for Maplestreet. Kirito's Raticate, of course we would not be seeing him now with Keefl internally injuring him.

7) Raised Yoonie to lvl27 by KOing some Digletts and a Dugtrio in their cave, which unlocks OP with the Spore skill. At 100% Accuracy, this is basically what will help her break every disadvantage against her with a Sleep that's guaranteed to hit, as opposed to Sleep Powder. Oh and watching Yoonie with her Bug/Grass typing tank magnitude 8s, 9s, and even 10s was pretty amusing. I hope this will help against the numerous Ground Types soon (and as a sweet sweet revenge against Giovanni and Rival's Rhydon)

On to tank beat my last monotype, Electric, in Vermillion City!

TEAM Update and my current thoughts for them:
    Maplestreet, lvl30, Quiet Nature: Tackle, Poison Powder, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf
    = Our team's all out attacker and natural leader. Our starter and our friend till the very end. I'm still making sure that I don't mess up his EVs way too much since he will still need to deal loads of damage with Razor Leaf. I need to make sure that I can increase his type coverage soon with some Poison moves to take advantage of his 2ndary Poison typing and his decent ATK rating as well.

Yoonie, lvl27, Relaxed Nature: Scratch, Spore, Poison Powder, Leech Life
    = Our team's physical brawler. From the get go, I made sure that even with Yoonie's crappy Nature, I will still raise her to be the physical brawler that the team will rely on against Kanto's psychics. With the part bug typing, I'm pretty confident that I can make her stronger even further. Further raising will get her wimpy scratch attack be replaced with the much more powerful Slash and will make her a much stronger physical fighter soon.

Keekfl, lvl21, Docile Nature: Absorb, Poison powder, Sweet Scent, Sleep Powder
    = Our team's secondary grass "mage" and support. Not much can I say for her now since all I'm doing with her is using sweet scent to efficiently farm areas (and EXP + EVs) for the team. But as a gloom, her stats greatly improved from being a squishy Oddish.

LittleJenny, Lvl16, Careful Nature: Vine Whip, Growth, Wrap, Sleep Powder
    = Something screams that with at 32 base attack on her current level (which is higher than the rest of her stats), she wants to be a physical grass brawler along with Yoonie, however Gen III doesn't want her to be such yet. If I was doing this on Gen 4 and onwards games with the physical and special split, she'd be happier. For now, I need to think of what moves would go along with her typing and noticably high ATK Stat. It kinda screams that she wants some poison type moves for her base ATK.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2015
    So, I have one update done in Gold now for my fighting monotype, but I seem to have hit a bit of a snag. I can't find a Heracross. Like, anywhere. According to basically everywhere online, it should be available in headbutt trees in any route between New Bark and Azalea. I have literally put in hours over a few different attempts headbutting trees in every route there, and got nothing but Spearows and Aipoms (after a while I began counting, 67 Spearows, 31 Aipoms, and a ton of empty trees). Can anyone confirm that I am looking in the right place and am just getting unlucky or something? Anyway, here's an update:

FIGHTING ULTIMATE CHALLENGE: GOLD UPDATE #1

-chose Cyndaquil to get through Falkner, because why not.
    -blitzed through to Violet
    -took on Falkner with a level 10 Cyndaquil, and after lots of smokescreen spam and 6 potions, I won.
    -made it to the Pokecenter by Union Cave, and FINALLY got the Old Rod.
    -went fishing in Violet City!
    -caught Poliwag (F), level 10, named Kimberly
    -training a water type in Union Cave was easy-peasy
    -did all the slowpoke well stuff
    -Challenged Bugsy with a lvl 21 Kimberly, she won easily
    -Had a bit more trouble against the rival, Gastly paralyzed Kimberly and she had a lot of problems against Croconaw. Nothing that couldn't be overcome with some potions though.
    -Cyndaquil's life purpose fulfilled as it learned Cut
    -got the Headbutt TM and taught it to Kimberly

BADGES: 2/16

Team:
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back