• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] The mystery of the Fire starters. Look to the stars.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2023
    The Chinese Zodiac theory has been old theory and broke in Scarlet and Violet. But hear me out. Call me crazy but I think we might be looking at this far too narrowing.

I suspect that Nintendo might not have been using the Chinese Zodiac alone as inspirations for Fire Starters. For example, Fennekin is no dog but coincides with the star Vulpecula which is a fox.....

Fuecoco is the first of the Mayan Astrological calender.

Thus Gamefreak was not trying to be funny, it was not sold into just the Chinese Zodiac they were using other zodiacs as they wish. Clever tactic from a marketing standpoint.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Hey, this is a pretty clever observation! I hadn't thought of it like that, but good catching the reference - especially to where Fuecoco comes from. I hope that if it is true, that Game Freak will go more out there with the kind of Fire starters they make.

P.S. Per aspera ad astra!

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2023
    Well Aztec astrology wise. Fuecoco is the start of the Aztec mayan astrology zodiac. So if say a fire scorpion appears, we need to ask, where did it come from? 88 Constellations?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • It's possible, but someone also pointed out that male crocodiles are called bulls and the bull/ox is a member of the Chinese zodiac. Foxes may not be dogs, but they are canines, and while the Cyndaquil line aren't rats/mice, Quilava in particular draws inspiration from porcupines, which from Japanese literally translates "needle mouse" depending on the kanji. If the Chinese zodiac theory is true, it's applied loosely. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see a Fire-type llama for the horse just because they belong to the same family, or hippo since they're also called river horses.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    or hippo since they're also called river horses.

Quite interesting stuff, but I'm just going to deviate from the topic by highlighting the above. I really want another Hippo in Pokémon and I want it to be fast and hard-hitting. Like Hippowdon's Gen IV sprites look suitably terrifying (and it was completely ruined in the newer generations, outside of PLA), but lets see one that has high HP, Atk, and Spe, the ability Strong Jaw, and a signature move to take advantage of it. Although given I've kinda just described Dracovish, a Fire one could be cool. Well, in the sprite era it could be insane-looking with the flames, but no doubt in 3D it would look weak.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I think the Chinese Zodiac theory applies for the first 8 generations. Skeledirge is their first departure from it because presumably, they want the franchise to go on for more than 12 gens. So they might just have it so that you CAN make a Chinese Zodiac out of the Fire Starters.

Back