• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The new HG SS Battle design

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Well, it is a Wi-Fi battle so there are never exp bars

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I like the sleek look to the boxes, but why don't they have an exp bar in the double battles still? There's obviously room.

I like the Notched ear and pikachu colored pichu sprites, but I wonder what the regular Pichu sprites look like now. And do you think you can catch one of the Pichus? Obviously not both but one or the other. that would be cool, i wonder how the notched ear Pichu would look like as Pikachu or a Raichu...

Showing the EXP. bar wouldn't be really necessary in a double battle. Not to mention, even though it looks like there is enough room now, it could easily be taken up by two slim-like bars that increase as you gain closer to raising another level.

The regular Pichu sprite more than likely will look just like the Pikachu-Colored Pichu as there isn't anything different with them except this one is a shiny. The Notch Eared Pichu however [in a way] deserves the new sprite compared to the rest as it is like a new form. Also, you can have both Pichus because the Pikachu Colored Pichu you obtain in the movie event and the Notch Eared Pichu you catch within the game. Not to mention, you need to have the Pikachu Colored Pichu to activate the Notched Pichu event within HGSS in the first place. As for it evolving and how it may look, I wonder about that too.

Well, it is a Wi-Fi battle so there are never exp bars

Actually, in single battles the EXP. bar is still visible through Wi-Fi, it just doesn't shift any higher. The same goes for within the game as well. It is just that the game developers never really thought about the need to have it shown during a double battle [at least so I think].

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Ohh, ok i forgot thanks... (haven't wifi battled in awhile)

It actually does look like there's room but i think that if they were in there than the battle would seem a little too over crowded

I agree with DassenSupes I hope the game is going to be updated and that they will also have all 493 pokemon in it so that you can catch pokemon from the sinnoh region, all of the pokemon games so far havent even been a slight challenge for me but then again I am 19 and have been playing pokemon for 12 years so if you ask me make these two games harder than any of the previous games and make it so that you have to train your starter to its nearest evolution so that it makes the game more interesting, plus if they did make a new game after these I feel that it should have pokemon that can go up to lv255 and also have 5 regions (including Sinnoh, Hoenn, Johto and Kanto) in it and also 650 pokemon in total now that would be amazing.

Um, did that really have anything to do with this specific thread on the new battle design?

Last edited:

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
    Years
    ... and also 650 pokemon in total now that would be amazing.
    To be honest with ya, this would be overkill. There's already 493 out there, and I was originally going to get D/P, but I skipped out on them just because I thought Nintendo/Game Freak was getting a little uncreative with some of the designs. May not be much of a reason, I know, but eh, it's just my opinion of it. Don't get me wrong, some look cool, like Giratina and Staravia among others, and I started out the 4th gen with the anime, but there were some that just weren't really "eye-candy," I guess, and with that many, I'd imagine they'd run out of steam with the ideas.

Still, I guess getting these games'll expose me to some of the 4th gen I haven't seen, and I might find some favorites. But moving on...

The boxes do look cool, especially with that blown-in kinda look to 'em. It'd have been kinda nice to have a sort of Gold/Silver mix or something depending on the game, but I won't mind these. Although...they do look a bit big in double battles compared to the other ones. =/ (Might be just the 3rd gen I'm speaking for, though)

Can't wait for a gameplay video where we hear the Trainer (or even Gym Leader?) Battle theme. XD

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Man, the Pichu family is booming! An exclusive move (Volt Tackle), item (Light Ball), and now a new "Forme"? (tentatively Notch-Eared Pichu). Whoa... :t172: :t025: :t026:

As for the design, the pure white is a little different from the white-tan color I'm used to, but it'll grow on me, I guess. It would be slightly nice if EXP. Bars were shown in double battles as well, though, since there is now space.
    But the slanted lines at the Health Box's edge is annoying the HECK out of me; it looks too jagged and pixelated in comparison to the smooth, sleek rectangles of old. I'll probably grow with the new Health Box design if only one side/edge is slanted, but if the Health Boxes are actual trapezoids, I'm gonna have a problem with that...

Compared to Platinum's Health Boxes, the (hopefully) one-side-slanted look does look like a fresh take on the previous design(s). However, I like Platinum's dark-gray coloring as well, I guess since it is a radical change in style and matchs Giratina's theme. But I'm also fond of the white-tan Health Box version... :\ Anyway, all 3 designs are appealing, and this new one makes HG/SS all the more unique. :) PLEASE, NO TRAPEZOIDS, GAME FREAK!!!

Notch-Eared Pichu looks so cute! I'd probably catch that if I had to choose over it and shiny Pichu, because I think I can generate Shiny Pichu elsewhere, as opposed to the one-of-a-kind Notch-Eared Pichu. Different poses for each gender for each Pokemon could be nice, I guess.
    At least more gender variants should be added this time around, if different gender poses are the case here.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I think I uderstand what Aero's theory is about the platinum boxes's relation to giratina's theme. I think these new boxes are cool. But I still kinda prefer those platinum boxes over these ones :/ .

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Can't wait for a gameplay video where we hear the Trainer (or even Gym Leader?) Battle theme. XD
    I wanna hear the Kanto Leader one. Anyway the design is nice and simple. I wonder if it will be gold in HG and Silver in SS. IF so and they are using a lot of SS to show the game off I will laugh.

billi1000

The Ruler of Darkness - Zekrom
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    ya i m really excited the to hear the new music when battling the gym leaders in kanto and johto, the one for the kanto gym leaders in gold and silver was plain awsome, ya maybe they will make the color of the bars change with the version, the sprites look awsome for now, and we ve got a bunch of them for now.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    All 493 Pokemon Can Follow you, But there's alot of pictures of Pokemon following gold, such as

Totodile
    Chickorita
    Cyndaquil
    Hoothoot
    Teddiursa
    Arceus
    Steelix
    Lavitar
    Pichu's
    & Maril Following the Female Trainer.
    i know and if you read the other post i did you wuld realise that...

soramararu

Warrior of the Sky
    Years
    The new HG SS Battle design

I lyk the new box thingees, plus i love the new pichu sprites^-^
    plus seeing this could it mean that you can battle em both or is this just a wifi battle(cuz theres no exp thing)?

If you look at the top right corner, you notice the signal thing. Plus, since it is a double battle, there won't be an EXP place. Even in a normal 2 vs 2 battle. Sorry if I sound rude.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I hope they include an option that allows you to change this new HUD and the text boxes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep this feature to where we can change the designed borders of the text boxes. It has been done for every game since RSE. I'm sure they might come up with some newer designs though compared to that from DPPt. Anything gray, red, or blue will be satifisying for me though. However, during the battles I'm hoping they keep the back figure animations brought in from Platinum. It was a nice addition and I think it may be beneficial for the remakes here. It seems possible, especially knowing all the changes they've done recently and newer features included as well.

RockmanEXE

Unova?
    Years
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep this feature to where we can change the designed borders of the text boxes. It has been done for every game since RSE. I'm sure they might come up with some newer designs though compared to that from DPPt. Anything gray, red, or blue will be satifisying for me though. However, during the battles I'm hoping they keep the back figure animations brought in from Platinum. It was a nice addition and I think it may be beneficial for the remakes here. It seems possible, especially knowing all the changes they've done recently and newer features included as well.

I'm hoping for more sprites too.

The Pokemon only had two sprites but they did do a great job of animating the Pokemon within a 2 sprite limit.

I can't wait to meet my buddy, Lugia again ...

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I'm not sure what to think.

Part of me feels they're too bulky, but I guess that's because it's a double battle. It's nice, though, I'm just... not in love with that overall design.

SDODC13

Psychic Lover
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Dec 10, 2023
    In Battle.

Do you think that they will keep most of the same battle animations as were used in D/P/Pt or will they make new ones.

Also I'm alsocurious if they actually did this with Lg/Fr as well. If they did not with these two would they do it with Hg/Ss?

Questions or Comments?

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2021
    I dont think they will redo the battling system exept for the spirites. I dont know about Lg/Fr.

Kyo Wolf

HG/SS Kanto Lover
    Years
    I think that they will keep the DPPt battle system with maybe a slight chance of a couple of new attacks. The only thing different with the battle system will probably just be the sprites used. I think it would be awesome if they maybe came up with a new move for Ho-oh or Lugia though. :P

Ayselipera

Just like the others probably the only different thing will be the Sprites. Besides that I know the little battle boxes have changed, but its nothing we haven't seen before.

Back