• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nuzlocke Challenge Thread [R/S/E]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    OK quite a bit has happened since,

I caught a Tailow and named it MERCURY, two Magikarps called Matthias and Oceanus, who are currently in the daycare centre becoming gyarados', and a third magikarp called KYRIAKOS. I also caught a Tentacool named ODIN, a Plusle named ARISTOTLE and a Zigzagoon who I named HELLIADAS in memory of the poisoned HELLIADOS. ARISTOTLE unfortunately died.

I faced the 1st gym with a level 16 Shroomish, a level 13 Torchic and a level 13 Tailow. Breezed through with Shroomish and bullet seed OHKOing everything except nosepass.

2nd Gym faced with a Combusken, Shroomish and Tailow all at level 20, pretty easy as the trainer's and leader's pokemon were weak to flying type moves, e.g peck (which Combusken also knew) and wing attack.

I then made my way to the third gym taking on trainers on the way and managed to get my Combusken to level 24 and the rest were around 21,22. I decided to take on the Winstrate family. Horror Struck. I got to the last one, a level 18 Meditate, who Hi top kicked me to hell :surprised:
    I know have to release my beloved Kain and stick with my level 22 Tailow (MERCURY) and level 21 Shroomish (EUTYCHUS) and a couple others.

I don't hold out much hope for me now but like I said this is my first proper challenge and I'mma stick it out. Grinding time. Wish me luck.

Current Team:

Mercury (Swellow) Level 37.

Steel Wing
    Wing Attack
    Endeavour
    Quick Attack

Eutychus (Shroomish) Level 21.
    @Miracle Seed

Mega Drain
    Flash
    Leech Seed
    Bullet Seed

Helladias (Zigzagoon) Level 13

Growl
    Headbutt
    Tail Whip
    Sand Attack

Odin (Tentacool) Level 14
    @exp share

Poison Sting
    Supersonic
    Constrict
    Cut

2 Magikarp in daycare ready to evolve into Gyarados' if need be.
    Will update on results of the 3rd gym which will be a ***** if Voltorb uses self destruct because if Mercury dies I am stuffed.

Leveled Mercury to 38 and Odin to 18 and took on the gym. Easily beat two trainers and the first two of Wattson's pokemon. Magneton screwed me, and my whole team over :/ I am now left with a level 5 magikarp and two other magikarps high enough to be gyardos'. But even if i managed to grind all my magikarps to level 40 gyarados' they would still get buttraped by the electric type gym. My first Nuzlocke comes to an end, but I loved it. I'mma start again in another thread on a different game, surprisingly not one in Hoenn :O

Last edited:

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • UPDATE 1 : This Game is Tough !

------------------------------

I never played Emerald 386 before, and after the fact that May had a Lv. 7 Treecko which spammed Absorb (and got 2 crits. :O) against Kalle the Squirtle shows how hard is it !
    Anyways, my name is RUBY (comic reference ?) and I have RNGd 6 names for both males and females. I just beat May with no encounters on Rt. 101 but meeting a Bellsprout on Rt. 103. Thus, I used it as a grinding spot !

Later, I got some PokeBalls and my PokeDex. I went hunting on Rt. 101 and met a ... Lv. 2 Poochyena ... T_T.
    Nicknamed her Salma.
    Later, on Rt. 102, I met
    a Zigzagoon ... WHY ? Caught her and nicknamed her Aisha. Done some grinding and finally reached Petalburg. I helped Wally and headed west, where I directly went into the grass and found a Surskit ! Caught it and nicknamed him Ugo. The box is good for him (for now, at least). Further north, in Petalburg Woods, I encounterd a wild Shroomish ! AWESOME ! Caught her (too many girls ?) and gave it the nickname : Earline (blame the RNG, not me !). She's level 6 so that only means one thing : GRINDAN TIMEZ !

After grinding to Lv. 10, I smoked the woods and had my first encounter with Team Aqua (his Poochyena was Lv. 12 lol). I've finished remaining stuff and rushed to Rustboro. West of the city, I met a Whismur ... caught it and named him Mikolas and deposited it.

-------------------------------

Later on, Youngster Joey of Hoenn Low Kicked Salma and the poor thing fainted in a OHKO. DAMN ! I always have bad luck (coughplatinumnuzlockecough). HE ALSO KILLED KALLE IN A CRITICAL HIT ! >.< Hmmmh ... I CAN withdraw Ugo and start training him, but there's one problem : he's Bug and if he can't OHKO Nosepass, he'll get OHKOd by Rock throw... I'm in a huge dillema here !

OK, done for today. I'll keep grinding to the low 20s (seriously) and post my progress tomorrow !

TEAM :

Earline f Lv. 11 @ - Effect Spore - Docile -

Bullet Seed
    Tackle
    Leech Seed
    Stun Spore

Aisha f Lv. 11 @ - Pickup - Jolly -

Headbutt
    Cut (I decided to teach HMs to my mains and see how it turns out)
    Tail Whip
    Growl

BOXES :

Dead :

:t261: Salma f : Tackle, Howl, Sand Attack - Machop

:t007: Kalle m : Bubble, Tackle, Withdraw, Tail Whip - Machop

Alive :

:t283: Ugo m : Bubble

:t293: Mikolas m : Pound, Uproar

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Okay after my horrific attempt at a Nuzlocke yesterday I have decided to try again. Here are the results from the first gym,

Spoiler:

Current Team:

BLAZE level 18
    @quick claw

Scratch
    Peck
    Double Kick
    Ember

SKWIDJ level 8

Tackle
    String Shot
    Poison Sting
    Harden

ZIGGY level 7

Tackle
    Tail Whip
    Growl
    Cut

WIN GULL level 7

Growl
    Water Gun
    Supersonic

NINJADA level 7

Scratch
    Harden
    Leech Life

I'll update again later with the results of the next gym and any other pokemon caught etc. Gym to should be easy ish as most of the pokemon are weak to flying moves so i'll just keep pecking, although makuhita's arm thrust can be a ***** :/

Spoiler:

Easier than I thought but the calm before the storm. Gym three is a SOAB with magneton who is resistant to near everything and self destructing Voltorb's. But I'll get some more pokemon on the way, hopefully a tailow (superspeedy) or a shroomish (so i can teach it bullet seed) and do some grinding of BLAZE, make him a Blaziken :) grind others to low 20's and see how it goes. BLAZE's ember should be enough to deal with the magnetons though.

Current Team:

Current Team:

BLAZE level 22
    @quick claw

Scratch
    Peck
    Double Kick
    Ember

SKWIDJ level 10

Tackle
    String Shot
    Poison Sting
    Absorb

ZIGGY level 7

Tackle
    Tail Whip
    Growl
    Cut

WIN GULL level 7

Growl
    Water Gun
    Supersonic

NINJADA level 7

Scratch
    Harden
    Leech Life

ROCKY level 7

Tackle
    Focus Energy
    Sand Attack

DEAD:

Spoiler:

BOX:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • UPDATE 2 : Dammit ! MAGBY ! Roxanne (Rocks-anne) falls ! DEWFORD - IT'S ON !

Well, the title says it : a Magby wasted 10 POKEBALLS to get caught in Rusturf tunnel ! It was tough, but I have Doris the Magby ! Which I'm gonna grind, of course ! This chapter will also contain the fall of Rocks-anne (also, I remade the first update to make it readable).

Versus : GYM LEADER ROXANNE (Rocks-Anne -> Rock-Type)

Earline only. Mega Drain and Bullet Seed. She also owned an Onix. Note : It's true that I used a Super Potion : Stun Spore missed while Earline got hit by Screech and had Rock Throw spammed on her by Nosepass. A tough one indeed ! But I earned ... :

STONE BADGE ! xD My first Emerald 386 Badge ! Giggle...

So, yeah, I head towards Dewford and get the Old Rod. In Dewford and North of it, I fish for a Magikarp and yeat another Magikarp. Nicknamed one Relenski and another one Chitzoiu. DEPOSIT !!

What ? Doris is evolving at Lv. 15, not 30 ! WTF ? At least I have a Magmar early on ! ;)

In Granite Cave, I meet a Tyrogue ! :o lol. I catch it and nickname him Samuel and deposit him for time being (I don't necesarilly need him).

Tomorrow is time for Brawly, today is grinding !

--------------------------------------------------------

TEAM :

:t126: Doris Lv. 15 f : Ember, Smog, Leer
    :t263: Aisha Lv. 16 f : Headbutt, Cut, Sand-Attack, Tail Whip
    :t285: Earline Lv. 18 f : Bullet Seed, Mega Drain, Leech Seed, Stun Spore

BOXES :

Dead :

:t261: Salma f Lv. 10 : Tackle, Howl, Sand Attack - Machop
    :t007: Kalle m Lv. 12 : Bubble, Tackle, Withdraw, Tail Whip - Machop

Alive :

:t283: Ugo m Lv. 6 : Bubble
    :t293: Mikolas m Lv. 9 : Pound, Uproar
    :t129: Relenski f Lv. 5 : Splash
    :t129: Chitzoiu m Lv. 6 : Splash

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    I obviously don't have enough patience for this, I blazed my way through with BLAZE, not grinding at all after the 3rd gym and got all the way to the 8th gym where BLAZE died :/ I wasn't too upset because I had caught myself a Groudon earlier. Then I remembered the rule about no legendaries. I'm gunna finish off this run through with blaziken and grouden, nuzlocke challenged finished, but only my second attemot and made it to 8th gym, with 57 Blaziken.

I'm gunna try another challenge soon but I won't update until I know I'm doing alright or until I'm finished because I just keep updating and failing lol, plus I'm not a very good story teller :/

EDIT: Okay here we go.

Chose a Mudkip, because I hear it's the easiest but I would argue Torchic is "/ Also It can learn Surf, Diveand Waterfall I believe but i'll try and teach them to others. Made it past route 101 without encountering a Pokemon! XD Means I can catch one when I actually get some balls. Not so lucky on route 103 :( Kicked Brendan's bum with my level 6 Mudkip, named SERJ. Now it's level 7 XDXD. May obtained Balls XD. Short lived excitement about route 101. I caught a level 2 Wurmple "/ Named it Ozzy because he happened to be on the TV at the time. My Pokemon on route 102 was a... level 3 wurmple. FML. Named it Slipknot because they were on next. Ah well maybe I can get 1 Silcoon/Beautifly and 1 Cascoon/Dustox.Barely made it to Petalburg because I didn't pick up any of the 3 potions "/ In Petalburg Woods I caught a Silcoon "/ arguably worse than a wurmple. Named it Scuzz. Ozzy evolved into Silcoon. I'm counting on Slipknot evolving into Cascoon. ****YEAH. I think this is actually my first Cascoon. Why am I so happy about a cascoon lol. Scuzz died :( I have a lvl 12 mudkip and a lvl 7 Silcoon and Duscoon.
    Beat Roxanne XD. Pretty Easy with Serj's watergun.

EDIT2: Caught a level 7 Whismur in route 116. Named it hurt. Beat Magma Grunt to retrieve the Devon goods. SERJ became a marshtomp XDXD. OZZY became a beautifly. Maybe Ozzy and Slipknot aren't good names for butterflies "/ Boxed my Whismur as a backup. Caught a level 9 Aron in Granite cave and named it IRONMAIDEN XD. Delivered Steven's letter without Flash xD. Spent some time grinding my pomemon to take on Brawly. Grinded until SERJ was level 21 and so was SLIPKNOT. SLIPKNOT took he whole gym down with gust XD.

EDIT3: Sailed to Slateport :) Gave SERJ soft sand to hold. Battled the Magma grunts in the museum, kicked them in their whiny asses with SERJ. Delivered Devon goods. Thrashed Brendan, SERJ to take out Numel, then SLIPKNOT to take out Grovyle and Wailmer. Caught a Gulpin in route 110. Named it Flash. (AAAAHHH) Boxed it because I don't need it. Beat Wally with a OHKO :) Challenged the gym. OHKO'd EVERYONE in the gym with Mud-Shot combined with soft sand XDXD. Sorry for small update this time.

EDIT4: Got myself a Mach bike, don't see the point in acro tbh. Also got Rock Smash and taught it to SERJ, because it really didn't need Bide "/ Caught a sonofa***** geodude that ambushed me from a rock that I smashed >:( named it ASEVENX XD. Caught a Machop in route 112, Running out of heavy metal linked names. Decided on Dio. Boxed 'em both. Accidentaly killed a Spinda on route 113 :( no Pokemon for me. Caught a Seedot on route 114, named it Trivium XD. Boxed that too. Caught a zubat at meteor falls, called it Airborne. Also going in the box as a backup, I only really need my two mains atm. Took on Magma leader Maxie and Lost SERJ, SLIPKNOT and IRONMAIDEN. May come back to this at a later date and grind my backups but atm, I cba :|

My team atm is:

DEAD

BOX:

Hurt level 6
    IronMaiden level 9
    Ozzy level 10
    Flash level 13

Last edited:

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • I just began my challenge and in summary this is what happened.

• Started my game.
    • Did some things.
    • Obtained Mudkip (John).
    • Went to Oldale Town.
    • Defeated May at Route 103.
    • Obtained the Pokédex and Poké Balls at Prof. Birch's Lab.
    • Caught a Zigzagoon (Anne) at Route 103.
    • Caught a Seedot (Chandra) at Route 102.
    • Trained Anne and Chandra.
    • Helped Wally catch his Ralts.
    • Caught a Taillow (Paul) at Route 104.
    • Trained Paul.
    • Caught another Zigzagoon (Unnamed) at Petalburg Woods.
    • Trained Anne, Chandra, Paul and Zigzagoon at Petalburg Woods.
    • Chandra died (A Zigzagoon killed her).:(
    • Defeated the Team Aqua Grunt at Petalburg Woods.
    • Arrived to Rustboro City.
    • Failed to catch a Nincada at Route 116.
    • John evolved into Marshtomp.
    • Trained Anne, Paul and Zigzagoon at Route 116.
    • Defeated Roxanne and got the Stone Badge.

ALIVE

John (Marshtomp) Lv18: Tackle, Growl, Mud Shot and Water Gun.
    Anne (Zigzagoon) Lv10: Tackle, Growl, Tail Whip and Headbutt.
    Paul (Taillow) Lv10: Peck, Growl, Focus Energy and Quick Attack.
    Unnamed Zigzagoon Lv10: Headbutt, Growl, Tail Whip and Cut.

DEAD

Chandra (Seedot) Lv7: Bide, Harden and Growth. (Killed by a Zigzagoon).

yuki3056

Grass Types own
    Years
  • sounds hawt I am in :D

Games: Fire Red
    Emerald (if I am allowed to do both)

and one question does the safari zone count as one area or each individual area in it?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm going to start a challenge on my emerald.

I started by choosing Torchic and Nicknamed him MEGAFOOT. I then encountered wild pokemon on both route 101 and 103 which annoyed me a bit. I caught a Poochyena on Route 102 after defeating my rival and nicknamed her HECTIC. When I finally got to Route 104 after almost losing HECTIC to a Zigzagoon, I caught another Poochyena called SLOPPY which came with a Pecha Berry.

Three battles later, SLOPPY died against a Marill. No one liked SLOPPY anyway. I went into Petalburg Forest and guess what I found? NAPPY the duhduhduh!!! Poochyena. Sadness.

Death to the Poochyena's! NAPPY died. Grrr! Hell Yeah! I finally got something that isn't Poochyena, and I now have RIPPAH the Nincada. And the dead bug isn't so good. R.I.P RIPPAH. I needed more pokemon so I went to Rusturf Tunnel and found a Whismur called WIZARD! It better not die. Yay I got the first badge and defeated the Team Aqua grunt.

Poor HECTIC got murdered by May's Mudkip and now im sad, three dead Poochyena's and one dead Nincada :(. I just saw a shiny Cascoon in Petalburg forst, but wont use it as it isn't my first pokemon there but I am going to keep it. I used my Old Rod to catch a Goldeen in Petalburg City and have named it KALDAS. I have caught a Magikarp in Dewford Town called GAZZA and I am going to train it soon. I am done for today and will update soonm, maybe today or tomorrow.

My Team is:

KALDAS / Goldeen Lv17: Horn Attack, Peck, Water Sport, Supersonic.
    MEGAFOOT / Combusken Lv17: Ember, Double Kick, Cut, Peck.
    WIZARD / Whismur Lv17: Uproar, Pound, Astonish, Howl.
    GAZZA / Magikarp Lv5: Splash.

Dead:

SLOPPY / Poochyena Lv5
    NAPPY / Poochyena Lv6
    RIPPAH / Nincada Lv8
    HECTIC / Poochyena Lv17

Last edited:

Xaldyn

Viridian's Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I'll be entering with pokemon Fire Red. I'll start within the hour and post youtube updates. I hope I don't suck! =D

EDIT: I'll post my updates for the night tomorrow afternoon. Need to get to sleep. I've made some progress. Just beat Brock and I have a lv 17 Ivysaur. I have 2 pokemon in my PC for emergencies. Like I always say, hope I don't suck! =D lol

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ok, so I grinded like forever and challenged Wattson. The result:
    Spoiler:

Which means...
    Spoiler:

Xaldyn

Viridian's Pokemon Master
    Years
  • EDIT: All 4 episodes are up. "ViridiansPokeMaster" is the channel. Can't put link cause I lack posts, so go there if you're wondering how I'm doing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I caught Stingy the Tentacool on Route 107 but died while I was training it so oh well. I then headed over to Granite Cave and caught a Zubat called Zoomba. On Route 106 I caught Flappy the Magikarp with my old rod and have put in in the PC for backup. After training all of my pokemon to level 18, i got to Brawly after losing Zoomba and Megafoot and the got owned by his Makuhita leaving only Flappy, aka, I lose. :(

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Is this thread still open? If so I'd like to start a Sapphire Nuzlocke run. I've never done Nuzlocke before so I'll probably update regularly and keep a detailed log of everything I do.

EDIT: No response, so I figured I'd start anyway and post the first chapter of my first Nuzlocke adventure :)

CHAPTER 1 – Leaving Littleroot

- Called myself Locke, moved into my new place

- Started up Route 101, found Professor Birch being chased by a Pokemon

- Picked Mudkip out of his bag, took out the Poochyena with no trouble. I chose Mudkip because even though I like Torchic best of the Gen III starters, I wanted a chance against the first Gym, and I don't like Treecko much.

- Prof Birch gave me the Mudkip, which I named Crash. Serious nature… Good to know, because I have a feeling this game will get pretty serious…

- Headed up Route 101, suddenly becoming aware of how nervous the tall grass made me feel

- Took a deep breath, and headed into my first patch of grass in my first ever Nuzlocke challenge… hoped I'd make it through safely, but as I reached the last square of grass, was attacked by a lv.3 Zigzagoon

- Beat Zigzagoon after he Growled repeatedly, but was annoyed that I wouldn't be able to catch a Route 101 Pokemon

- Headed up to Oldale town with no further battles, healed, sold my only Potion (not gonna be using it!)

- Headed up to Route 103, attacked again by a lv.4 Zigzagoon (damnit, no catching Pokemon on Route 103 either!)

- Zigzagoon took Crash down to 8/20 health – Growling 6 times made it difficult to finish the bugger off!

- Crash hit level 6 and learned Mud Slap. Suddenly I remembered that the Physical/Special split didn't exist in Gen. III. I'll need to get used to that again…

- Headed back to Oldale town, healed up, then set off for Route 103, looking for May

- Reached May… she attacked! Her Treecko started off with Leer, which made me nervous. Mudkip used Tackle, scored a Critical hit to put my mind a bit more at ease. Treecko used Pound. My heart was in my mouth – I had no idea how much damage to expect after the Leer earlier… phew, only 5 damage. Another Tackle and Treecko's down to 1 HP. Another Pound and another Tackle and Crash has beaten Treecko with 12/22 HP remaining! Even better, he's up to lv.7! Make that 14/24 HP remaining…

- Back to Oldale to heal up. May mentioned going back to her dad's lab for something… maybe I'll follow her… I meet her by Route 101, she tells me to hurry home. Will do! I jump all the fences and reach Littleroot Town again unscathed.

- Straight to the lab to meet May and Birch – he tells me beating May is quite an achievement as she has an extensive history as a trainer. Obviously not that extensive as Treecko, her only Pokemon, is only lv.5…

- Birch gives me a Pokedex, and May challenges me to finish it before her. Probably not going to happen, that. She gives me some Pokeballs though, which is nice. Off to get some backup for poor lonely Crash!

- On the way, chatted to Mum, who gave me running shoes. About time; did she let me walk about barefoot before?!

- Back out to Route 101. Can't catch anything here, so ran straight through, and avoided all wild Pokemon. Straight to the Mart to buy my 10 Pokeball allowance – plus a free Premier Ball. Next stop, Route 102!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Short update here - not had much playtime.

CHAPTER 2 – Into the big wide world

- Headed onto Route 102. First Pokemon I ran across was, thankfully, not a Zigzagoon. Instead it was a lv. 3 female Poochyena, Sassy nature. Promptly caught her and named her Pepper. She was a bit behind Crash so I decided to stay around and level her up a bit before heading any further.

- Levelled Crash up to 10, when he learned Water Gun. Nice! Pepper learned Howl at lv. 6. Kept grinding for a while, rushing back to the Oldale Pokemon Centre every now and then with my tail between my legs when I got critted. Realised how much I like the music on Route 102! Also, turns out wild Lotad are a real bonus for Pepper – only damaging attack is Astonish, which is not very effective against Dark types, and give 42 whole XP!

- Survived a hairy moment when a rogue crit from a wild Wurmple took Pepper down to just 3HP. Scraped through though and headed back to heal.

- Got Pepper to lv.8, had to turn off for now. Next up, I'll head down Route 102 proper, and brave the Bug Catchers!

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    CHAPTER 3 – I am your father…

- Carried on past a few more trainers on Route 102, disposed of them easily enough. Hit Petalburg City. Healed up and sold a Potion I picked up, then tried to continue onto Route 104 towards Rustboro City, but was stopped by someone who thought it was very important I saw the Gym.

- Went into the Gym and bumped into none other than… Dad! Had a chat, helped some frail fellow called Wally catch a Ralts. Dad said I had to get stronger before I challenged him.

- Finally got onto Route 104. First wild Pokemon… a female Taillow, lv.4. Caught her, named her Swift. Calm nature… just about the least useful nature for a Taillow ever… Ah well, I'll make do.

- Started to grind Taillow, including in a battle against Rich Boy Winstone which nearly got Pepper killed. Back to Petalburg to heal, then I took the plunge into Petalburg Woods… High risk of poisoning here, but hopefully a brand new Pokemon too.

- First to attack me was… Wurmple, female, lv.5. Oh good. Even better, it promptly poisoned Pepper. Argh. Switched Pepper out… it poisoned Crash too. ARGH. Considered running for a Pokemon Centre but stuck it out to catch the Bug-type. Called her Jabs because of her ability to infect my poor Pokemon. Naughty nature… too right… Naughty's my favourite Nature though, so good stuff.

- Made it to the Pokemon Centre by the skin of my teeth, no casualties. Thank God for that. Back to the Woods! Might be spending as little time here as possible… Soon as I see a Wurmple I'm running for the hills!

- Make my way through the woods, discover some tool trying to find a Shroomish. And failing. And then getting ambushed by a Team Aqua drone, who proceeds to attack me instead! The injustice of it all… Lv.9 Poochyena goes down quickly to Crash's Water Gun. A Great Ball is my reward.

- Remembered the first Gym is Rock-type, so any time spent levelling Pepper , Swift and especially Jabs at the moment is a waste, even if Pepper takes about 3XP to gain a level…

- Made it through the woods. Got a TM for… Bullet Seed! Oo, that might help against Roxane. Oh wait… None of my Pokemon can learn it. Balls.

- Came across a trainer with a Lotad. I feared for Crash… then remembered that Mudkip isn't Ground-type yet  dead Lotad. Followed up with a Shroomish, which paralysed poor Crash… switched in lv.6 Swift, and hurrah! Absorb only does 1HP damage! I never said I disliked Calm natures…

- Got to Rustboro! Next up, Gym number 1…

CHAPTER 4 – Rustboro or Bust(boro)

I've decided to carry on in prose rather than bullet points. Much nicer on the eye, y'know.

Anyway, I bumped into a Shroomish while grinding Crash for the Gym. Really, really wanted it – a Breloom would be amazing – but I couldn't catch her, having already picked up Jabs in Petalburg Woods! I realised then the real difficulty of the Nuzlocke challenge; there really is no guarantee I'll ever catch any of the Pokemon I actually want or need.

Crash hit lv.15 against the Gym trainers, and tried to learn Bide. I decided against learning what is essentially a high-risk suicide move on my Nuzlocke challenge… Imagine if I got Encored… the thought makes me slightly nauseous…

Anyway, Crash carved a Water Gun OHKO path through the residents of Petalburg Woods and hit lv.16, evolving into a Marshtomp and learning Mud Shot. Hoo-rah. Suddenly I felt a little more confident about taking on Roxane. So that's where I headed – with Pepper, at lv.11, my only real backup! All or bust…

After all that buildup, Roxane was a cinch. OHKO'd Geodude, then set Nosepass up with a Mud Shot, expecting that A) Water Gun wouldn't OHKO him, and B) it'd reduce his Speed to counter his inevitable Rock Tomb reducing Crash's. Water Gun finished him off in style, and Crash hit lv.17. One Gym down, 7 to go!

Got Rock Tomb, didn't teach it to anyone – only Crash could learn it, and it's not much use to him, seeing as it sucks against Grass, his only weakness. Left the Gym and saw a Team Aqua member run off with that tool's "goods." Ho hum. Best follow him…

…Or not. Instead I left the moron to his crying and went back to get Swift some easy levels in the woods. She hit lv.13 and learned… Wing Attack?

Oh yes.

While levelling Jabs, who evolved into a Silcoon at lv.7, I came across a Shroomish. I got the Shroomish down to within one hit of fainting, but Jabs herself was also just 2 hits – or 1 critical hit – away from death. I could have switched Jabs out, or run away, but I decided to gamble and hope that Shroomish didn't crit me. As I pressed the button, though, on Poison Sting, I realised I wished I hadn't. I wasn't just risking fainting, which is easily repaired at a Pokemon Centre. I was gambling with Jabs' very life.

As it happened, Shroomish didn't crit Jabs, it was fainted by Poison Sting, and Jabs hit lv.8. But I learned me a valuable lesson – not to gamble with my Pokemon's lives. Not even with Jabs, by some distance my weakest Pokemon.

Then the unthinkable happened. Grinding happily away, 1 level away from a Beautifly… Poisoned by a rogue Wurmple. I didn't make it to the Pokemon Centre in time (and I'm playing with no healing items at all, in or out of battle). Jabs died.

Wow, that was unexpected. Killed by one of her own. I really have to make sure I keep grinding throughout this challenge, or the same fate may befall any of my other Pokemon. With that in mind, I set to grinding Pepper. First Pokemon she came up against was another Wurmple… was this the same Wurmple that killed Jabs? Probably not. Kicked its ass regardless.

Onto Route 106. First Pokemon was a Taillow. Caught her, and on auto-pilot (never usually nickname my Pokemon) forgot to give her a name. Boxed her away, will have to remember to name her later.

Phew, this is a time-consuming challenge, what with having to keep running back to the Pokemon Centre every time I want to heal (poisoned by three consecutive Poison Stings… I lost my sense of humour at this point). Finally, Pepper hit lv.13 and learned… Bite?

Oh yes.

Current team:

Spoiler:

In PC:

Spoiler:

Deceased:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    can you not double post please and edit your previous post please. Thanks

Right. Firstly, you're not even a moderator. Secondly, the double posts were a day apart; it's not my fault no-one else is posting in this thread, and I'm not going to continually re-edit the same post for the rest of time, it'd become ridiculously long.

Anyway, next chapter ahoy:

CHAPTER 5 – Brawling with Brawly

Beat a few more trainers, then found an old guy at the entrance to Rusturf tunnel whining about losing his "darling" Peeko (something concerning about that… I fear for that Wingull's safety). Went into the cave and added a new Pokemon to my team – Charlie the Whismur, lv.7, Serious nature. Should be useful when it comes to learning Strength. Assuming he's still alive, of course. Unlike Jabs… Poor Jabs.

Anyways, beat up the Aqua Grunt using Swift's Wing Attack. It pleases me to have that move already, considering it'll probably stay on Swift's moveset forever. And hooray, Darling Peeko is saved. Well, assuming you consider being forced back into a life of being chased "playfully" around an old pervert's log cabin as "being saved." I bet the poor budgie was just trying to escape, and I ruined it all.

The tool who lost his Devon Goods abducted me and took me to his boss, another dubious old man. Oh, I take it back, he gave me a Pokenav. Good bloke. I found a girl wanting to trade my Slakoth for her Makuhita. I was keen, until I realised I didn't have a Slakoth, and I had no way of getting one just yet. Maybe later young girl.

Got a Quick Claw from the Trainers' School, gave it to Pepper. Got Cut from "Cutter's" house – sounds like a self-harmer – but had no-one to teach it to. Discovered I couldn't proceed any further without Rock Smash, so headed back to Mr. Briney's house, stopping off to grind a bit with Charlie on Route 104 (yes, I skipped Petalburg Woods. Damn Wurmple).

Sailed to Dewford with Mr. Briney, and obtained a Silk Scary for Charlie. Got an Old Rod from a fisherman by the Gym, and used it to obtain my newest team member – a Magikarp, lv.9, female, whom I forgot to nickname. Again. Argh. She will be named Marjorie at the first opportunity.

Headed up to the cave in Dewford. A nice Hiker gave me the Flash HM, and I realised I needed a Zubat or I wouldn't be able to use it. Instead I ran into a Makuhita, lv.9. Caught him and named him Thumper, Hasty nature. ARGH. Hasty?! Awful. Couldn't it have been… I dunno, Brave? Or Impish? Or ANYTHING other than Hasty? And it'll be a dark time in this cave when I look for Steven later.

Stuck around in the cave to grind a bit and get Crash ready to face the Gym – didn't want to take any chances, I've read about people failing Nuzlocke runs on Brawly before and I didn't feel particularly secure that I'd beat him, given that both Charlie and Pepper were weak to Fighting moves. I realised that not being allowed to use Flash without the Dewford Gym Badge meant nothing seeing as I couldn't teach it to any of my Pokemon anyway, so I headed through the cave to find Steven. On the basement floor I ran into an Aron, and was sorely tempted to break the rules to catch it. I like Aggron. Didn't break the rules though, and on I went, killing Aron all the while and gaining truckloads of XP from them.

After stumbling in the dark for a while I tracked down Steven and obtained the Steel Wing TM. Sweet. Taught it to Swift. Escape Roped out to heal, then headed back into the cave basement to train where the Aron were.

Then it happened again.

I switched in Thumper to train him up a bit, when the Aron I was facing critted Headbutt. Thumper went down in one. First battle, first attack. This Nuzlocke thing is pretty brutal.

Crash finished the Aron off and I scarpered, seeing as Crash hadd hit lv.20 by this point, Swift had evolved into aSwellow at lv.22 and I felt ready to take on the Gym. It's lucky in a way that I hadn't had Thumper for long enough by this point to get attached to him. Still, poor little fella. I mentally added Aron to the list of Pokemon I no longer liked (so far: Wurmple, Aron).

Into the Gym I went, nearly 7 hours playtime on the clock – probably more to do with the time I've spent typing this up rather than how long I've spent grinding. And in the end, Brawly was a complete non-event; Swift had steamrollered the Gym trainers on the way to evolving, and Crash OHKOd both of Brawly's Pokemon with critted Mud Shots.

I couldn't teach Bulk Up to any of my Pokemon, so I moved onto Slateport, trying to bump up Pepper and Charlie's levels by using them against the beach trainers and those in the lemonade hut, nipping to the Slateport Pokemon Centre every now and then to heal. I decided against fishing for a Route 107 Pokemon until I got a better rod – no sense just getting another Magikarp to not use.

Current team:

Spoiler:

In PC:

Spoiler:

Deceased:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    It seems I'm singlehandedly keeping this thread alive. If any moderators want me to stop, then please tell me. Anyway, this is the next chapter of my journey:

CHAPTER 6 – The casualties pile up

Cheerful title to the chapter, isn't it. I got a lot of playtime in today, partly due to the fact that I was away from my computer so I wasn't stopping to type every minute or so. As a result I'll probably omit a few details here and there but the general theme is still intact.

I headed north from Slateport City on Route 110, battling a few trainers and May, who wasn't much of a competitor, despite her Wailmer having a lot of HP. I passed straight by the Trick House as I had no Pokemon who could use Cut at this point. First Pokemon I bumped into was a lv.12 Wingull, male, which I caught and named George. Careful nature. Not much use though.

I reached Mauville and healed up and got the Rock Smash HM, which I taught to Crash for lack of better options (Mud Shot and Water Gun still meant that his movepool was good at this point). I decided to get another Pokemon from Route 117, which turned out to be a male Roselia, lv.13. Named him Curly, and he had a Calm nature.

I beat up all the trainers around Route 117 and 118, then got a bike and headed down the Cycle Path and beat all those trainers. I then taught Cut to Curly, headed back to the Trick House, beat it and got a Rare Candy. I gave that to Curly, then regretted it immediately when I realised I'd never use him in battle.

Anyway by the time I challenged the Mauville Gym all my Pokemon were at lv.24 except Crash, who was at lv.27. Wattson was an absolute piece of cake – 3 Mud Shots took care of all his Pokemon, and the only move they even managed to attempt was a Sonicboom from his Magneton, which obligingly missed. Three Gyms down, 5 to go…

Headed north from Mauville on Route 111, beating the Winstrate family with Swift alone. Further north I found an impassable (for now) sandstorm, so I banked left and headed along Route 112, hoping to bump into a Pokemon I could actually use in my team… a Numel! Male, lv.14. Sweet. I love Numel. Caught him and named him Tiny; he had a Relaxed nature. I liked him immediately, and set about grinding him as I headed through the Fiery Path, catching a female Slugma (lv.15, Docile, named Wanda) along the way.

I popped out back onto Route 112 again – so I couldn't catch any more Pokemon here – and kept going, stopping at a kind old lady's house to rest. Hit Route 113, the one with all the volcanic ash, and failed to catch a Spinda (what a shame) because Tiny accidentally destroyed him. Went through Fallarbor and into the patch of grass in Route 114, meeting a Swablu! I was really keen to catch this little fella, but Numel critted his second Ember and the chance was gone. Real shame that, a Dragon-type would have come in very handy indeed, especially one with good defences like Altaria.

I headed into Meteor Falls, catching a Zubat, lv.17, male. I named him Laser, then boxed him away.

On a sidenote, I do find it entertaining that it'd taken me about 8 or 9 hours to actually catch a Zubat. I mean, they're hardly rare… I haven't even got a Zigzagoon either!

Onwards. I met Team Aqua, Magma and Dr. Cozmo, then continued on my way, after hearing that Aqua were up to some funny business at the volcano. I ploughed back through the Rusturf Tunnel using Rock Smash to clear the way, earning the Strength HM for my troubles, which I promptly taught to Pepper and Charlie. I went back up to Route 112 and up the newly free cable car to the top of the volcano, dispatching a couple of Team Aqua Grunts and setting up a showdown with their Boss, Archie.

Wow, Archie proved a tough battle. He really was a step above any other trainers I'd faced to this point; 3 evolved Pokemon gave my team a bit of a scare, especially his Golbat (which, worryingly, isn't even fully evolved yet). I just scraped past the Golbat using Shockwave, which I taught Charlie after winning it back at the Mauville Gym.

With Archie dead, I trekked back down to the Jagged Pass, hoping beyond hope that I'd find a Spoink. I love Grumpig. Instead I bumped into another Numel, which Tiny accidentally killed outright with a high powered Magnitude. Given what was to come, this was an irony I'd come to regret.

I decided to stay in the Jagged Pass to get my team up to lv.30 before taking on the Gym leader in Lavaridge. Big mistake, as it turned out. Tiny was making his way happily up to lv.29 when he tried using Magnitude on a wild Numel. I got Magnitude 5, which didn't kill the wild Pokemon. The wilder got Magnitude 9. Tiny was dead. At this point I seriously considered just healing him and forgetting it had happened, until I realised that there was no point Nuzlocking if I wasn't going to do it properly. Tiny was gone and I had to move on. I released him, and replaced him in my team with Laser, thinking that in the long run, a Crobat would be pretty handy.

Back to the Jagged Pass I went. Laser had nearly hit lv.18 when I decided to take a risk and let him actually take on the wild Pokemon himself, because switching him out was painfully slow. First Pokemon he came up against was a Spoink; forgetting Laser was part-Poison for a split second, I led with Supersonic, which missed, and then Laser was OHKO'd by Psybeam. Argh… Another loss. I'd had Laser for such a short time that I didn't even know his nature.

Shaken from my losses, I got the rest of my dwindling team up to lv.30 and challenged the gym – after picking up the egg from the lady next to the hot springs (Togepi, I seem to recall… if only Togekiss existed in Gen III).

I defeated the Gym trainers with ease, then headed onto Flannery. Crash took out her two Slugmas with ease, but Torkoal was proving a challenge – Crash could easily get her down to red health, but couldn't quite finish her off before Flannery used a Hyper Potion (cheap trick if you ask me – I'm not using them). Torkoal then used Attract on Crash and I had to switch in Pepper. Big mistake.

Pepper was OHKO'd by Overheat. Pepper, the first Pokemon I caught on this Nuzlocke challenge, my trusted companion, was dead. This loss hit me harder than any of the others so far.

I switched Crash back in and managed to avenge Pepper without any paralysis from repeated Body Slams. I won the Heat Badge and the Overheat TM, which I couldn't use since Tiny's demise. Neither seemed like compensation for the loss I'd just suffered. Damn you Flannery, and damn you Torkoal.

May showed up to give me some Goggles to help me through the sandstorm on Route 111; my next stop is to limp that way with the three remaining members of my team, plus Curly my Flash/Cut slave and an unhatched egg.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 7 – Like father, like son

I did everything there is to do in the Desert, choosing the Claw Fossil. In my view, Generation III's fossils are by some distance the worst yet, at least until Gen IV when both Armaldo and Cradily figure out how to use a few half decent moves. As it is though, that fossil will probably never be hatched. The first Pokemon I bumped into was a male Sandshrew, lv.20. Another Serious nature, which is ok, but I was hoping for a Trapinch. Digger the Sandshrew was promptly boxed away.

The next thing to do is to beat my dad. This means a big, long grinding session, because if there is one Gym in the entire series of Pokemon games that I loathe, it's the Petalburg Gym. I just HATE those Slaking. Essentially I'd like to have about a 10 level headstart on Norman, so I'd like all my Pokemon to be level 40 before I start this Gym, as I have no Ghost- or Fighting-type Pokemon (if only Thumper hadn't died…). I might settle for getting Crash fully evolved and then giving it a go, though.

On with the grind, then.

After getting a few levels, my egg hatched, and to my surprise, it wasn't a Togepi, but a Wynaut… Interesting. Nicknamed him Rebound. Quirky nature. Rebound may be an inspired addition to my team, if I ever have the patience to raise him. For now, though, the grind was more important.

…or was it?

Dig. I hadn't taught the Dig TM to any of my Pokemon. Dig, the move that protects a Pokemon from all harm for a turn. I think I may have just stumbled upon the secret of how to beat those damn Slaking… Still, I wanted Crash to evolve just to be sure. I hate training in a sandstorm. The animation does my head in.

After Crash evolved I realised his most powerful Special move was still Water Gun, so I spent every penny I possessed on coins at the Game Corner and taught him Ice Beam. Then I decided to take the plunge against Norman.

And my oh my, what a plunge it was. Crash avoided every attack bar one by Digging when it attacked (I wasn't sure if Norman using a Hyper Potion counted as one of Slaking's "active" turns – as it happens, it did, and Crash took a Façade for about 40 damage). Crash then powered past Vigoroth with a Dig and an Ice Beam, before facing the final Slaking.

The second Slaking was faster than Crash, completely destroying the Dig tactic. Vigoroth had taken Crash's health down to 44/120, and Slaking's Façade took him down to just 2HP. Another Façade would spell the end for my first Nuzlocke Pokemon… but no! Slaking used Focus Punch! And I'd used Ice Beam, which actually froze Slaking! The match had turned on its head in an instant. Finishing Slaking off was a simple matter of spamming Mud Shot and Ice Beam until he went down, and the Balance Badge was mine, along with Surf, which I taught to Crash as a reward. Charlie got Façade. The whole game can turn on such small margins.

I caught a lv.24 Marill in the pond next to Petalburg Gym just to celebrate being able to Surf. I named him Bubble.

My next stop, after I met Wattson in Mauville, was to head to New Mauville.

Current team:

Spoiler:

In PC:

Spoiler:

Deceased:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back