• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Official In-Game Rival Thread

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
  • This is basically a thread created to discuss the friend/rival you name at the beginning of D/P/Pt.

What do you usually name him? Which of his teams is your favorite? Could there have been improvements made?

Just discuss anything about the rival here. Go.

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
  • i called him douche. because he is one and i think he is really weak. I think he should be a bit more challenging cause i beat him everytime. I wish i had his main pokemon because its always effective against mine

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
  • I think I called him Jeff in Gold and the multiple times I've played through HeartGold I named him Silver.

Of course I like his highest level team at the Pokemon League and I hate his Dragon Den team because he doesn't help at all against Clair and Lance unless you make him choose Feraligator.

I want the Rivals in all the games to have a team in the 80's after 3 or 4 rebattles once you beat the E4 twice.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Usually I name him Barry or Jimmy (After my little cousin, who the rival reminds me of in real life). Wehn I was younger though, I named him some rather innapropriate things, as we all do at some point or another.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I really liked Barry in Platinum, he was really funny and his battle sprite was awsome too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I named him Barry, Jun, and recently, Jaden. I like the rival because of how he's constantly on a rush to do things.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • His name is Terry, named after NASCAR great Terry Labonte my redneck uncle with whom we have a love/hate relationship with.

I really don't like him, he's annoying personality-wise and I'm tired of him running into me. Methinks he forgot to take some sort of medication... At least he eventually does get a strong team...

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Paul, not because of Paul from the Anime, but my God Brother Paul, was my rival (and still is). Esspecially in Pokemon. I was a Grass Starter kinda Guy and He was a Fire Starter dude. So it actually made sense.

In his game though his rival was my brother because my brother always choose Water. And that in mind my brother always picks me as his rival.

So yeah who ever had the type advantege in our 3 Pokemon People trio was the rival, weird huh.

Draci.Kun

Hungry Like the Wolf<3
    Years
  • I generally name the rivals after my friends (save Soul Silver...I named him Silver).
    In Diamond, my Rival's name is Richard, and in Platinum, it's Justin. -shrugs-

I'm not a huge fan of the rival; he's a bit too carefree and always rushing into things. @_@

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    The D/P/Pt rival was by far the best, in my opinion. He's like your distant friend with ADD who you sometimes hang out with but are too embarassed to tell your other friends about or something like that.

I like how he always comes running and can't focus on anything for more than a second.

Gary was just obnoxious and condescending , the G/S/C rival was way too overdone (I hate my Pokémon, omg what is your secret ???1oneone) and I can't even remember the rival in R/S/E.

But this guy was actually fun. I usually named him a really manly name, like Butch or Jack.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i named him barry in one cant remember the other two and in plat i named him Rilence since we are always having battles online to see who is better so i figured it was a good name for my in game rival ^_^

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    I name him Jun, because I like that name better than Barry.
    He's actually the most memorable rival, non-internet-wise to me.
    Internet-wise? BLUE mother flippin' Oak.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    Is it strange that I named him after my sister-in-law?
    :3

Chagrilled

Wonderguard
    Years
  • i called barry fart in diamond ;)

love the quote "my fart took off like a rocket as usual"

i also miss platinum (lost all my games par diamond) whom i named the rival MJ (for the dance XD)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    The first game, I just went with one of the default names. The second game, I named in Spazz, for obvious reasons. XP

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
  • On my first playthrough, I named him Brad, as a homage to one of my friends in real life. In subsequent playthroughs, I've always named him Gayboy. Hopefully that doesn't get me any infractions, haha.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Not sure why, but I've always named my rival (in every Pokemon game, not just DPPt) after my dog. :/

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I forgot what I named him on my first playthrough, but on all subsequent playthroughs I named him after someone I know in real life.

Back