• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official PokeCommunity Adoption Center 3.0 [Read First Post!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • I'd prefer Discord, given that we could easily create a new channel for mentors on marz's server and no one would have to join an entirely new group. Also... not a fan of Skype.

I may write up a checklist for the Game Dev section, seeing as I'm the only mentor who frequents there and we have gotten a couple of people asking about it.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Personally, I'm with Skype (even though it's been quite long after using it). But if we get to use Discord chat, I agree with FireSnow's statement as well, considering I never used it before, but I don't mind using both chats if possible.

Years
  • I'm actually liking the addition of the checklist for mentors, since it'll make helping the mentee easier. It's also nice there's checklists for different sections as well so definitely loving the improvements.

Anyways, I guess I prefer Discord. It'd give me an excuse to use it for once.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The checklists look good, although I think some of the things are a touch obvious/unneeded. As for the chat client, I have a preference for Skype but do have a Discord account for if you force me into that hellhole ^_^

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If you want, I can add you all to a "mentor" role on discord and make a channel where only you can talk. So that you can communicate in peace but still be on PC's server c:

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • I strongly prefer Discord over Skype, which seems to be somewhat echoed anyway. :P

I agree with GP though, some of the items on the checklist are a little unnecessary. Then again, they're all very small items that will probably only take up negligible time. xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Just wondering. Which things are unneeded for both of you? I know that "how to write a post" can be too much. I kinda wanted to cover everything, even if it was too basic. But I would like to hear more about it.

Please do! that would be so usefull. I think Discord wins so far. But, I want to wait a bit more. I don't want to move things to Skype, haha.
    Poke me with a list of mentors' Discord usernames if you decide to do that though c:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I prefer Skype over Discord, but the latter is fine too. A chat like this gives me a reason to actually say things there. :]

My Discord name is the same as my PC username btw.

Years
  • The whole point of having a mentor is for the mentee to learn those things in the checklist, so basically I disagree with the pie. I think it's pretty useful to keep track of who's learning what. I'll do a checklist for the A&D and I'll send it to you later.

Anyway, right now I'd say I prefer Discord, simply because I have no stable internet connection for the time being, and skype doesn't work with slow connections, at least for me.

I've already sent Archy the A&D checklist, he just hasn't put it up yet.

Years
  • Nice job! That's what I had in mind too. I have a problem with this part though:

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]This either shouldn't be there or should be worded differently, because it makes it sounds like there is a correct way to go in this situation. This should be something the mentor teach to their mentee, but not a check. There is no right or wrong way of when to host a contest. Now, how is a different subject, but still holds a subjective nature.

The check works like this doesn't it?

You've talked to your mentee about contests, this includes:

-You shouldn't host contests while a lot of others are going on at the same time
    -You should a timeline specific to the quanitiy/ability of work needed
    -Here's how to set up a poll for your contest if you forum vote, best settings for transparency etc.
    -How to select judges/being impartial

things like that. If it was just something in the rules, you'd just link to the rule page. Like critiquing, holding a contest has guidelines that seem like common knowledge so we don't have rules about it, but in a situation like this you'll go into more detail about etiquette.

Years
  • The thing with the checklist is that some of it is completely redundant. "How to make a post" for example, if they've posted in the adoption thread then they clearly know how to make a post.

"How to reply" is kind of redundant with "How to quote/multi-quote" is another one that springs to mind.

Years
  • How to reply isn't redundant since 90% of the edits that we have to make here are double posts from people who isn't familiar with multi-quoting. It's not that easy to do it, so I feel like it should be there.

Wouldn't that cease to be a problem once people have been told how to multi-quote? Either or though, it's your thing I'm just along for the ride.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Wouldn't that cease to be a problem once people have been told how to multi-quote? Either or though, it's your thing I'm just along for the ride.
    Believe me, I even put it in the splash and it's still hugely difficult, it seems.

Years
  • Well. I'm still thinking about the A&D checklist.

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]This should be modified or erased. This is like teaching how to live. I'd like to propose a change at the very least, to: 'Things to consider when hosting a contest or event'

'Things to consider when hosting a contest or event' ---> how and when
    How/When to host a contest or event
    These are the two things that are important for members to understand when creating a contest as a moderator.

They say exactly the same thing. I can't write a rule for them because it does vary, so we just need guidelines. If you do not understand contest etiquette, then you should ask Kirby and I to clarify it for you, not to try and change the checklist. I feel like this is entirely necessary and the title is self-explanatory.

So let me expand upon what contest/event etiquette is and what should be taught by A&D mentors. These are things I consider to be easily applied common knowledge, but this is what the adoption center is for, to make sure something even as basic is this is understood by everyone. (which is why I have never though it necessary to write a guide or rules, but I'm seriously reconsidering that now since you have no idea what I'm talking about)

To host a contest, you need to create a starting thread as A&D does not have to verify any contests, but it would be recommended you talk to your current mods about it. You may contact them about making emblem prizes as well. You should make sure your contest does not run longer than a month and has clearly defined rules for each member. Go over the basics of how to create a poll again, and setting an end date for the contest.

For when to host a contest
    , see how many other contests are running. If it's more than 2 or 3, you probably don't want to run one until another ends. We won't stop you from doing it, but your contest will not get much attention. If there is currently contests running, you should see what kind of materials and images are being produced, and try not to overlap. If someone is currently running a contest for fakemon sprites, you should not also be running a contest for fakemon sprites at the same time, as you are directly competing with exposure for another contest. (Which is rude.) However, it still could be you have 2 contests going on for pixel art, but one is for a fakemon sprite, and one is for a summer themed background scenery with limited pallets. This is different enough that they could run at the same time. If you are not sure, always ask you art & design mods.

Years
  • My point still stands. It is relative and should not have absolute etiquettes such as HOW and WHEN. Hence the "consider". It is not the same to say "How and when you should do this" than "Consider how and when". Get the point? This is a mentoring program and things such as a checklist should be extremely clear, not ambiguous titles like the one I mentioned.

No it does not. I want members of this adoption program to know what to consider when making a contest when entering A&D. Where are you getting the information that this checklist must only contain absolutes?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back