• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Years
    Lets see, Two Spindas, a geodude, bellosom, crobat, and a meditite. The first four I found in my emerald all within a span of one month and the meditie I found in my diamond.

Years
    Hooray for copy & paste! Long story... well, long, I caught shiny Palkia today:

I was watching a random episode of Star Trek TNG while doing soft resets idly--one of my main time filling methods to get lots of SRs done, when it came. I darted upstairs and turned my PC on, but it couldn't turn on fast enough for my satisfaction! With cameras rolling, I proceeded with the surgically precise capture.

Out goes my Timid syncher in exchange for PaperWeit, my Bronzong sleeper/wall slave. Dragon Claw on the switch. The (quite speedy, hmm...) Palkia fires a Water Pulse before I can fire Hypnosis--missed! Let's try this again. Another Water Pulse! Bronzong is confused! Bronzong hurt itself in its confusion. -.-; (I guess the gay tactics are made up for by the extreme luck in finding the sono***un. o__o)

Full Restore is used to heal my almost dead Zong and cure confusion. Palkia uses Ancientpower for lol% damage. Again I pick Hypnosis and Palkia uses Spatial Rend, for not very much damage either. Hypnosis connects this time and Palkia is asleep.

Out goes Zong and in goes my slave Bibarel. Without fear, Bibarel begins attacking the Strawberry Ice Cream Jetplane with its Super Fangs. Midway through, Palkia wakes up, but Bibarel keeps on gnawing, going down in a blaze of glory after the fifth Fang connects.

It's back to Zong for the finish, and he takes another Water Pulse on the switch. After healing up with Moomoo Milk, it's time for another barrage of Hypnosis. After another weak Spatial Rend, Hypnosis is a hit! Now, which ball to throw...

Dusk? Too spooky. Great? Too plain. How about I throw a Premier Ball now just to see what happens? Sure, the red opening is a bit apt, but what the hell? *shake 1* ... *shake 2* ... *shake 3* ... it's... in? HOLY! SHINY PALKIA IS MINE!! :D:D

What this calls for is a Shiny Dex:

This time around, to keep the Tubers quiet, I pick up my Pearl Orb straight off (well, after saving), then head out. After killing a hapless Clefairy, I can fly to the nearest Pokécenter and check my new beauty's stats.

Stat Page 1 Stat Page 2 Stat Page 3

Wicked! My Syncher worked and Palkia is Timid! I have no clue what its IVs are like and am too lazy to use a calculator.

Now, it's time to finish the rest of the game. However, I have still to play through Diamond all the way (not for shinies this time) to collect legendaries (mainly the pixies) so I can get NatDex on Pearl without needing to capture Mesprit. Or does anyone have one they're willing to lend? ;)

So I guess this means I've won the Palkia race. Good luck to everyone else! Don't quit just because someone else beat you to it. It really is May Mayhem, and you'll never know what might shine around the corner! ;)

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Does it really show the shiny version in the Dex, or is it only when it's caught?

And here's your IVs: Timid #484 Palkia: 18 - 19 / 5 - 8 / 28 - 29 / 15 - 17 / 24 - 25 / 22 - 23

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    ^ It won't be a permenant thing, you'll only see it Shiny in the 'dex after you have caught it. If you check the 'dex entry after the battle, it will be in it's normal colours.

And i've reached 40 in a new chain, of Wobbuffet xP
    Zero Shinies so far, as I had a break after getting to 40.

x5 (Updated :O)

I'll update when I catch some :P

Edit: Caught one, Synch didn't work as I got a Brave male ^^'
    Oh well, here's the proof -

A Shiny Wobbuffet appears!

Wobba'dex

Edit 2: I now have 5 - three males and two females.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2008
    my shiny zubat

my sister caught a shiny zubat grean i saw it and traded so now i have a shiny zubat

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
    Current Shinies:
    Caught through Luck:
    Caterpie
    Geodude
    Gyarados
    Bidoof

Caught through Chaining:
    Chatot
    Budew
    Wurmple
    Pachirisu
    Buneary
    Machop
    Snubbull
    Shinx
    Corsola (X2)
    Ditto
    Lickitung
    Cubone
    Smeargle
    Plusle
    Nosepass
    Larvitar (X2)
    Ralts (female...darn)
    Kricketune
    Krabby
    Mime Jr. (X3)

Caught through Soft Resetting:
    Mudkip

And hopefully more to come in the future

Last edited:

PiplupnamedPIP

Silence=gold|Duct tape=silver
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2009
    Shinys

I'm haviung trouble with shinys.... can they be bred? wild? how can u tell? I have 1 shiny and it was traded to me but i have no clue how to get them on my own

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2008
    Well yes they can be bred but heres the chart:
    Shiny + UnShiny = 50/50
    Shiny + Shiny = Shiny
    Unshiny + Unshiny = Unshiny

In the wild they come up random, really but there where you least expect,,, fro example, if I wanted a shiny shinx I wouldn't look in routes 201-203 thats the last place where they'd be, you probably find a shiny shinx in like victory road, or somthin' lol

Hope It helps... Oh if this helps plz level up my Murmii pokemon in my sig'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    Shiny + UnShiny = 50/50
    Shiny + Shiny = Shiny

In the wild they come up random, really but there where you least expect,,, fro example, if I wanted a shiny shinx I wouldn't look in routes 201-203 thats the last place where they'd be, you probably find a shiny shinx in like victory road, or somthin' lol

Where'd you get that from?
    Breeding Shinies has no effect on the probability of the offspring being a Shiny. That effect was only present in G/S/C, and it was still not quite a guarranteed thing, but just much more likely.
    And you can only find a Shiny form of a Pokémon in the area where they'd normally appear. Shinx is not in the Victory Road -_-

I'm haviung trouble with shinys.... can they be bred? wild? how can u tell? I have 1 shiny and it was traded to me but i have no clue how to get them on my own

Every single Pokémon - be it those encountered in the wild, from fossils, Legendaries, egg hatched, recieved from a non-playable character - every Pokémon has the same chance of being Shiny, which is 1/8192.

With Poké Radar chaining, that chance still remains. In other words, it is entirely possible to find a random Shiny in a non-Shiny shaking bush. After all chaining increases the chance of a Shiny bush appearing, which in turn gives a 100% chance of finding a Shiny.

When chaining, the highest chance you'll get is with a 40+ chain, at 1/199 per shaking bush - and since there can be up to 4 of those, the chance is really about 4/199 or 1/50

Wild Shinies have a noticable "Shine" to them upon entering a battle with one to help one distinguish the difference between one and a normal Pokémon, as well as the different colours, obviously :P

My video shows a Shiny patch in a Poké Radar chain, and the Shiny encounter that comes after entering it.

If you hatch or recieve a Shiny, then it won't Shine upon getting it. You should be able to tell by the colour differences though, as well as the small red star icon that appears by it's sprite in the summary screen. The Shine only shows in battle.

Last edited:

Crystal Shaymin

~Blown Away on the Winds~
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2009
    Shiny + UnShiny = 50/50
    Shiny + Shiny = Shiny

LOL. where did you get this? this is just not true at all. ALL shinies have a 1/8192 chance of being shiny, no matter if you breed shinies or unshinies.

PiplupnamedPIP

Silence=gold|Duct tape=silver
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2009
    Halcyon, ok so i just got the poke radar thismorning. I also have the guide and i know how to use it but i have Absolutely NO idea what chaining is. ty for helping tho ^.^

LordxDanswich

Lord of the Sammich!
    Years
    Halcyon, ok so i just got the poke radar thismorning. I also have the guide and i know how to use it but i have Absolutely NO idea what chaining is. ty for helping tho ^.^

Chaining is when you use the pokeradar to encounter the same pokemon again and again, literally making a chain of pokemon, for each same pokemon you encounter the odds of a shiny appearing increase a little, when you hit 40 the odds bottom out at 1/200

Heres a few videos that may help you
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4, this also has the shiny patch in it if you don't know what they look like

And here's all the shinies i have so far *Deep breath*
    Rapidash male
    Sandslash male
    Smeargle female
    Pikachu female
    Parasect female
    Pelipper female
    Golem female
    Gardevoir female
    Dustox female
    Groudon
    Bellossom female
    Chimeco male
    Zigzagoon male
    Purugly female
    Magnezone
    Masquerain female
    Delcatty male
    Luxray female
    Farfetch'd male
    Shinx male
    Staravia female
    Kingler female
    Aggron female
    Absol male
    Pachirisu male
    Bannette male
    Roserade male
    Ampharos male
    Skuntank male
    Beautifly male
    Grumpig male
    Zangoose male
    Seviper male
    Regigigas
    Weavile female
    Jynx female.
    Gastrodon male
    Kricketune female
    Rayquaza
    Blaziken male
    Regirock
    Floatzel male
    Luxio male
    Gliscor male
    Hairyama male
    Skamory male
    Probopass male
    Machamp male
    Ludicolo female

I'm also soft restting for a shiny registeel at the moment, i'm currently at 5,040 resets.

super onii chan

I think I'm here to stay
    Years
    Shiny Pokemon Hunting Team

I wanted to know what pokemon you use to hunt shinies. example my team is: Scyther(named ShinyHuntr/use for false swipe/KOs weak pokemon), Latios(shes my flying pokemon/KOs strong pokemon), Ralts w/ synchronize(get a good nature), Butterfree(makes pokemon sleep), and if im hunting like elect/steel a pokemon with static/magnet pull(elekid,and i think magnazone) :P

Last edited:
    Back