• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Stop Messing Up My Files Porygon-Z!

The shadow of Mismagius
Years
  • I was chaining Ditto one lazy day. I had a Zubat ready to switch to. Suddenly, out of the blue, there came a glittering patch of lush grass. I stepped into it, and lo, there it was, my first Shiny, a Shiny Ditto! (I was lucky, it didn't take long to find it) I was so excited, I threw an Ultra Ball at the strange Ditto, which failed to capture its target. Unfortunately, it Transformed into the Rayquaza at the front of my party, that I got lucky in capturing with an Ultra Ball pre-Elite Four in my Emerald. Much face-palming ensued, and I tried my best to capture this Ditto. It used Outrage, and confused itself. While it was Flying high up in the sky, it attacked itself, and fainted. Even more face-palming ensued, because I failed to capture my first Shiny. I tried to cheer myself up. Come on, most people have to chain for HOURS to find a Shiny Patch, but I found it in a matter of seconds. I wasn't even LOOKING for Shinies in the first place, I was merely constructing a Ditto Farm. And I knew that most of my friends at PC had undoubtedly done this before, so I came to this thread.

@Kurai Teros: Gastly are easy to chain. Gastly are the ONLY POKEMON IN THE CHATEAU. I think I'll start chaining them now... *chains* But you can't really chain them due to lack of grass...

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    my diamond save is right b4 approaching dialga and i've SRed it a bt with no sucess but i don't plan to give up for a while

btw whats the least amount of time it took u guys SR and got a shiny?
    my friend got a shiny charmander after about half an hour of non stop resetting

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • btw whats the least amount of time it took u guys SR and got a shiny?
    my friend got a shiny charmander after about half an hour of non stop resetting

The least amount of time it took for me to get one was about 2 hours and 30 minutes (with breaks every hour) with a Shiny Mudkip. However, I've seen people SR for months without success.

Your friend was very lucky.

Gazza

Heaven-Piercer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    caught a shiny geodude today on a chain of 2 im pretty happy because its my first shiny on diamond.:)

then i tried chaining for buizel with no success:(

majin_strach

Master of Biltong
    Years
  • hey...im kinda newish to pokemon....iused to play back in gen 1/2.....then i left it till now...
    but i got a question regarding shinies...

here goes....right see when im chaining....can i save it and carry on later or the next day?
    cus sometimes i well cant be arsed to keep a chain on.

(i hate tauros....he smote 2 chains of 13 and 14...damnit.)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    hey...im kinda newish to pokemon....iused to play back in gen 1/2.....then i left it till now...
    but i got a question regarding shinies...

here goes....right see when im chaining....can i save it and carry on later or the next day?
    cus sometimes i well cant be arsed to keep a chain on.

(i hate tauros....he smote 2 chains of 13 and 14...damnit.)

sorry nope you can't save chains but if you get tired of chaining just put your ds on the charger and close the ds, when you open it you will be at the same spot, before you do it though I suggest you close it during a battle or after you take 50 steps.

majin_strach

Master of Biltong
    Years
  • thanks for that...it has been niggling if you get me....
    im tryin to find a shiny snubbul....lol
    i well wanted a krabby yesterday but had to go to a gig....

i think we all know what i would rather do...

got one more question....
    right when chaining...can i zimm over to a PC to get my moves pp back....or will that screw w/chain...
    (im up to 28 now on this snubbull chain...*fingers crossed*)

Last edited:

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • got one more question....
    right when chaining...can i zimm over to a PC to get my moves pp back....or will that screw w/chain...
    (im up to 28 now on this snubbull chain...*fingers crossed*)

Nope, leaving the area where you are chaining will break the chain. Always stock up on Repels, Ethers, etc. before you get started.

Good luck with your chain.

SapphireL

I don't wanna lose your love..
    Years
  • I have a few shiny Pokemon.

Loudred, Gyarados, Charizard, Totodile, Magcargo, Floatzel, Pelipper, and two Pokemon I got off the GTS who are hacked. The hacked Pokemon I got were Phanpy and Mew.

Ex Trainer Ruiisu

You Told Me I Was A Monster
    Years
  • I have chained about 14 shiny eevee in the trophy garden(stormer07 has the remaining few of them)
    i sr'd 4 times for a shiny giratina
    i hatched a shiny magikarp that is now a proud red gyarados
    hatched a shiny riolu, sadly its a crap nature.
    friend gave me a shiny ada lucario
    shiny rhyhorn
    chained 4 shiny larvitar
    shiny gabite

and im currently mass breeding to hatch a shiny dratini and shiny sneasel

Elusive

]]~~~[[
    Years
  • Got a shiny Charizard from the GTS yesterday. Was pretty nice. Then saw a shiny Dialga which I didn't get D: And the Zard is legit. was from an egg and all. Score.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    I found myself doing some random Soft-Resetting in Pokémon Platinum this morning, for a Drifloon for no real reason. Shockingly, one of them Shone. I didn't really need another Shiny Drifloon, but whatever C:
    Another Timid female, caught in a Luxury Ball this time around. I also caught three Shiny Electrike in a Poké Radar chain, and made a new high chain record of 122 ^_^

Shiny Drifloon encounter! - [image] / [video]

A Shiny Electrike appeared!

Evil Sonic

Fufufu, All according to plan.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2023
    I only have 6 Shiny Pokémon right now.

They are:
    Scratchers (Male Umbreon)
    Ratty (Male Raticate)
    Rai (Male Electrike)
    Tricia/Ashley (Female Electrike)
    Lolo (Female Shinx)

The last three are my first PokéRadar shinies.

dogz

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2010
    i have a shiny furret and i used to have a shiny mew i also think i have a shiny cyndaquil

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Doing 1 step egg soft resets last week I got an Adamant Shiny Skorupi!

Shaterpie

Gold Caterpie > Red Gyarados
    Years
  • I found my first shiny for about 2 years a couple of hours ago, a level 4 shiny Starly.

1. It was after a chain of 3
    2. I didn't realise it was a shiny patch until I actually saw the Starly (Jesus fecking christ imagine if I went to the other same coloured patch)
    3. I actually froze when I saw it

Back