• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The 'Pokemon Following You' Discussion Thread

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2013
    yeah i hope its optional, because i would love having my typhlosion and ampharos, and weavile or electivire following me later in the game. at times it could get annoying or be in the way

EagleVision1999

Commander
    Years
    I think it's kinda cool. Gives me yellow vibes. And I'm finally able to walk besides my Chimecho *_*
    I hope we get more details soon. All 493 Pokemon may follow us but the whole Wailord thing...I just can't see that happening (at least one just can't be able to enter a house with it...or so I think). Everything smaller should be fine though.
    ...*imagines a Magicarp to suruggle behind its trainer*...
    To let some Pokemon follow the trainer would be kinda mean (poor magicarp)
    I'll have a gengar follow me in the night :D

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    As for seperate forms, I'd expect that. Seeing as they've given the Notch Eared Pichu its own OW sprite, and the Pikachu-Colored Pichu its own OW sprite. Then, I'd expect other forms of Pokémon to be shown in their own OW sprite, such as the Rotom forms and all. However, as for a Shiny OW sprite following us, that is questionable as they may have only done it for the Pikachu-Colored Pichu, but you never know.

Well, sorry if someone already said something, but I'm thinking that it won't happen. Shiny Pokémon don't have shiny icons, either; nothing except for the Pokémon's actual coloration and the symbol-thing on the stat screen indicates that a Pokémon is shiny. :/

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
    Ok but what if you where able to see the pokemon you where floating on? They would probably just mak a sprite for the pokemons that can learn surf but what if someone with an action replay and pokesav make a giratina lear surf or something else would they make a sprite for that?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Ok but what if you where able to see the pokemon you where floating on? They would probably just mak a sprite for the pokemons that can learn surf but what if someone with an action replay and pokesav make a giratina lear surf or something else would they make a sprite for that?

This is where the idea of an OW sprite of your Pokémon using surf is a bit contradicted. If it is implemented, then I would picture your game being glitched a little with the hacking device of your choice [Pokesav or Action Replay]. However, if things actually do play along like that and your little hack with a Pokémon learning surf happens to work, then either GameFreak placed in a coding to deflect the idea or maybe it would revert to a set OW sprite of a solid figure. It hasn't been seen yet so waiting would be best to do until noted.

@ Atlus: I wouldn't rule out the thought of shiny OWs as yet. Even though their icons when viewed have been seen as normal, that is only one view of it and something I can understand. However seeing the Pikachu Colored Pichu in its shiny OW sprite, it does bring up questions to the game players. Not to mention, the plot of Johto involves a shiny Gyarados as well, so it could be a possibility that the OW for this Pokémon is shown as a shiny too. The icon isn't necessary to be shown, but the OW now has become more of a realistic feature for the game. Not to mention, HeartGold and SoulSilver are starting to revert some old ideas and bringing it out now, so I would just wait to see more as it is still questionable.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think: WAILORD! when hearing of this. ¦D It truly is a funny thought that will only be answered by actually trying it.

I personally am really excited about this feature. It seems like they are putting more effort into the small details. I suppose they would have to end up making new OW sprites for every Pokémon since, for obvious reasons, the box sprites won't do. I have an image of PMD-style sprites in my mind. Those were well done, but it seems that with HG/SS, they'll have to do some serious fudging to fit the sprites on one tile.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
    hmm, I'd have Giratina follow me, for a normal Pokemon....maybe Skarmory..
    OH, IMAGINE A WAILORD following you o_O

Years
    Gengar, Togekiss, Dragonite, PorygonZ, Floatzel, Mr. Mime, Meganium, Azumarill, Charizard, Venusaur, Blaziken, Manectric, Lopunny, Leafeon, Glaceon, Vaporeon...so many of my powerful Pokemon from Platinum I would like to see follow me in Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

I'd like for a Scizor to follow me.

Noel

Ghost Pokemon Trainer.
    Years
    Will we be able to download this game as a rom? I would love to have my Haunter following me around! That would look so cool having a ghost behind you. :D

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    I think it's a little unnecessary, but I suppose it'll be interesting to get to see whatever Pokemon you want following you. I hope you can choose though, since sometimes Pikachu in Yellow got a little annoying, and it'd be nice to not HAVE to have something following you if you want.

Jweeson

Pokemon Aficianado
    Years
    I would have a Gyarados follow me, just to contradict the laws of nature. Haha. Everyone would be so confused to see a water pokemon sliding on dry land.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I like it! :D

I'd personally have any Pokémon follow me, but mostly Pikachu, notched-ear Pichu, and any of the eeveelutions~

(I want to see what Magikarp looks like following you. :P)

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    I think it's a little unnecessary, but I suppose it'll be interesting to get to see whatever Pokemon you want following you. I hope you can choose though, since sometimes Pikachu in Yellow got a little annoying, and it'd be nice to not HAVE to have something following you if you want.

I'm pretty sure it's optional. In many of the pre-release screens you don't have any Pokémon following you; so unless those were taken before the feature was implemented, you shouldn't have to worry about disabling that feature.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years

I'm pretty sure it's optional. In many of the pre-release screens you don't have any Pokémon following you; so unless those were taken before the feature was implemented, you shouldn't have to worry about disabling that feature.

:/ I have not seen one without a pokemon following O_o (Except for the ONE that takes place before you even get your starter... :p How many is "many"? And where are they?

Back