• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The Rise of Darkrai" Movie Discussion

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    8.5/10

I thought it was excellent, especially as far as Pokemon fare goes. The opening was probably the best opening so far (I missed it on broadcast, but I saw it subbed). I thought the acting was top notch, and the story was well done. I like how Alice's GrassWhistle (or Oracion, as it was called in the movie- I prefer calling it by the move) contrasted with Darkrai's Dark Void- one caused peace, the other caused pain. It also forshadowed Oracion stopping the fight between Palkia and Dialga- sort of leading to a "Violence leads to violence, peace stops violence, etc." theme that's been present in the movies since the very first.

It also creeps me out a bit that I notice all this- or that I just make it up in my head.

Sekushi Sushi*

Roses are red, I love you!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2008
    umm, it hardly kept my attention. And in the last bunch of movies its been in these european inspired places which make them boring. This and the other last two have been a bore.

Daisuke33

The Ultimate Unreal Hero
    Years
    Complete 10/10! Why did I give it a perfect 10? Because it was fantastic! About the whole Grasswhistle thing I think it was cool ( reminded me of Nuzleaf's Grasswhistle singing.) I hardly see the difference between the shell whistle thing in Pokemon the Movie 2000 and this one. So a song soothed the legends, nothing to downgrade the movie for. Unlike the 2000 Movie the Wings and the Music that soothed the legends was beautiful. Lol the Baran's Lickilicki was funny xD, especially when the Baran turned into one! Something Jessie said about him being turned into a Lickilicki ( forgot what she said ) really made me rofl lol. I agree with Miss Reyna that all of Ash Brock and Dawn's Pokemon really had some great parts to fill.

When Dawn fell out of the Balloon I was like OMG! Hikari!! But she ended up on the tower part lol, that was a bit of a eye opener.This movie must be set before Ash gets his Chimchar since the only Chimchar I saw belonged to Alice, it was so cute, Chimchar's my favorite Pokemon next to Pikachu. Speaking of Pokemon when Ash and Dawn were about to fall from the tower did everyone see Buizel using Water Gun to save them? Buizel is the bomb! I loving Buizel all the time, I can't wait til Ash gets Buizel. I also loved the scene in the beginning when they were walking in town and they were eating Cotton Candy and Ash ate Brock's Cotton Candy while Brock was acting like a love sick Zombie at Alice, and he turned around and bit a plain stick! XD. I loved this movie, perfect 10 for the 10th Movie ^_^.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Well sweeties, the movie was okie. Some parts were cool, and I loved the part were Pikachu shocked Ash to wake him up from the educed nightmare. XD I saw it subbed already so, the impression kinda wore off. Also I STILL can get use to PUSA voices. >>

I would say 8.5/10, it was one the greatest Pokémon movies, but it was entertaining never the less.

Also the movie taught me something important sweeties, if anything is about to get wiped from existence, just shock it to prevent it from disappearing. XD

Palkia_279

Palkia's master
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2008
    Eh, I give it a 7/10.

It was too short, and was lacking something. And for once I thought there was going to be a pure evil Pokemon that actually could creep me out. But no, the stupid human characters had to brainwash the poor fellow with cheesy friendship.

Last edited:

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Though I enjoyed the movie I give it a 7/10.

1. Recycled plot-Gee a song to stop the savage beasts...Lugia and the Birds in the islands again..
    2. No real villain-No Dialga and Palkia don't count and that would leave Alberto.
    3. The Towers design was kinda generic movie.
    4. Dialga and Palkia were more or less portrayed as Evil, Mindless, and bloodthristy

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2008
    I liked it I give it a 8 out of 10 but I hated the opening theme it's the gayest thing I ever heard and I was happy when it ended sure it fat the movie and all but the lyrics and singing was god awful to me but I think I've gotten used to Ash's voice but I still don't like the new va Veronica Taylor is the true Ash and Ms Ketchum you only saw her once in Diamond and Pearl. It's all revolved around Dawn's mom and I have to be honest I like May a lot better then Dawn even though Dawn is brighter then May at times their are also those moments were May is better then Dawn.

But back to the movie I have always hated how Ash was always the big hero hogging all the glory of saving the world all to himself like a certain Super Saiyan but atleast Dawn the first Pokegirl to save the world sure Brock and Misty helped saved his mother but Dawn helped greatly. I realy grew into Darkrai's character at first I thought he was controlling Palkia and Dialga but they in the beginning hated each other it's ironic how they created time and space and in the end were destroying it because of dumb rivalry I realy wanted to see who won the tournament though but atleast they showed Darkrai at the end alive and well I thought to be the third Pokemon Death

Years
    Wow. 27 replies already. Geez.

I taped it, but I did watch what I could.

Mindless fighting (or something of a motivation) between such juggernauts never gets my attention, so seeing Sinnoh's big two's debut in that manner fell flat for me. The rest with the second movie's allusions as you all pointed out, I'll go with the flow (and why I didn't care for the prior film). Like the second movie, this one also has excellent animation, so it has that going for it.

Although, "let's blame Darkrai via misunderstanding" sounds like... the plot of a filler that we've observed many times before (Solrock's AG intro, for example). Granted, it was the same contention for Deoxys in the seventh movie (before the big reveal), but Deoxys actually had a more sinister image to work with. Darkrai, by comparison, has the predictable "dark, but misunderstood" one instead, and I saw it coming. Not saying Darkrai wasn't used effectively here, but it seems more of a bad boy than the role it truly played in its first appearance (ombudsman). If it returns, it should be a villain.

Then again, it wasn't as absurd as the previous movie. Whew.

For me, seeing Jessie and the Alberto Lickylicky (however you spell it) together, being licked and blasting off? Reminded me of her scenes with her own Lickitung, and that actually increased the movie's quality (allusions do that).

Not the best, not the worst. However, to Hideki (the writer of the movie), you're better than this. C'mon, man!

BDT

On my way to be a MASTER
    Years
    Ok to me this is the BEST film out of them all sine a very long time..only if you watch the Japanese version. But saying that I havent seent the dub yet, as I only woke up and i just wanted to know what the did with the theme song - and my gosh its horrible and to much of the word Heroes in the song why couldnt they do them theme song they have on the TV series but longer, even if they have to put a Guitar solo if they dnt have enough lyrics in the song, the Movie 8 theme song was great. PUSA have done it again and spoiled it, thats why i liked it when it was with 4Kids even if alot ppl hate that company but they didnt do much wrong with Pokemon, some scenes missing here and there and 3+ banned eps that they couldnt help by. I wounder if this theme song from the film will be the song for Season 11? And yea I also wanted to see the credits but damn CN USA did that again.

Commander_Latios

The man of Eternal Boredom...
    Years
    8.5/10

I thought it was excellent, especially as far as Pokemon fare goes. The opening was probably the best opening so far (I missed it on broadcast, but I saw it subbed). I thought the acting was top notch, and the story was well done. I like how Alice's GrassWhistle (or Oracion, as it was called in the movie- I prefer calling it by the move) contrasted with Darkrai's Dark Void- one caused peace, the other caused pain. It also forshadowed Oracion stopping the fight between Palkia and Dialga- sort of leading to a "Violence leads to violence, peace stops violence, etc." theme that's been present in the movies since the very first.

It also creeps me out a bit that I notice all this- or that I just make it up in my head.

Actually, Oracion was the name of the song, not the little leaf she was playing. i do agree grasswhistle is a bettername, rather than the... i think it was.... "leaf flute" like she said in the movie. other than that little detail, yeah, i agree with ya.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I think the movie was excellent. The idea of the movie was really cool, especially using the way Darkrai can actually try to stop such a big force. The only thing that bugged me was the commercials. I'd disagree with the opinion of Oracion stopping the god pokemon, I thought it was a nice idea. Except it's pretty original. However they did manage to capture the suspense during the time Ash ran up to the tower to play the song with Dawn. Darkrai's appearance sort of disappointed me. I was expecting a more creepier scene to fit with Darkrai's personality of a Dark type pokemon. Darkrai definitely should be the villian next time, I was expecting more from it. Dialga and Palkia were disappointing too, I was expecting more to their story rather than just one plain battle. The whole "Let's blame the good guy" thing was a nice touch that I really enjoyed. The talking Lickilicky made me laugh. It wasn't the best movie but it wasn't the worst. I personally liked the Manaphy movie better. Overall rating from me would be a 9/10~

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    I'm not in the US, so I haven't watched it yet.. I've seen the subbed version though.
    My review will come once I download the dubbed version.

Anyway, do we know the ratings yet?

Dr.Stiles

Word to yer mama >__>
    Years
    uhm it was pretty good
    darkrai should of been evil
    and they cant make him evil in future movies well cuz that would be stupid =/
    so they screwed it up xD
    and the storyline was predictable
    uhmm...and did anyone notice dialga took of in a flash so palkia could be blamed for everything lmao
    that sucked xD
    so i guess ill give it a 6/10

oooh and i found out darkrai has legs O_O
    they looked wierd xD

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    The movie was awesome!!! I like the parts where palkia and dialga fighting and croagunt vs. infernape. lol :)

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    The movie's ending came too fast. Ash and friends are crying, they see Darkrai again, the screen comes up to Darkrai's eye, and then Bakugan premieres. Very freaky.... But the movie was entertaining and I enjoyed it alot. I have to admit the characters and the storyline about the dreams was odd. But entertaining at the most, I enjoyed it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2009
    oooh and i found out darkrai has legs O_O
    they looked wierd xD

XDD; Agreed.

~~~

<3 I don't understand the problem with the introduction song… thought it was cute and catchy. n_n It reminded me of a missing Pikachu short in some aspects. Just the song.
    Err… well, I thought it was awesome :x

Hehe, My favorite part of the entire show was… when Ash and Pikachu stole Brock's cotton candy. <3

Best Quote~
    James: "My Neck!"
    It was so flippin random, that I had to laugh~

Heh, I missed a good chunk of the middle, because the kids I was babysitting decided they suddenly needed Macaroni & Cheese to survive x_x. But they just said Darkrai was disappearing and floating around, and there was a grandma flashy part. O-o I'll uh, have to try to watch it again sometime for lost details. xD;

Ash's nightmare was scary… in fact the whole movie was sort of horrorific. Scary and dark.

I was actually really impressed with the voices on this one also. Awwe, there was actually a lot of feeling in some areas. And Ash's voice was so much more capable than it has been on the series. It just proves it can sound like the old Ashy at times.

~ Those three trainers with the evolutions of the starters, reminded me too much of the first movie and the trainers with the evos of the 1st generation starters…
    ~ x_x The music stuff was too tied in with the 2nd and 4th movies.
    ~ The way the town disappeared reminded me of the Latios/Latias one.
    ~ The young girl and grandmother memories tied into the 3rd.
    ~ The dude with the laptop… I thought would honestly be related to Tori (in the Deoxys) movie someway.
    ~ The gave little Ash and Dawn moments, which only reminded me of the Ash and May moment in the Manaphy movie.
    ~ And the flipping LickiLicky guy (which disturbed me more than it probably should have) resembled Butler from the 6th film much to much.

In short, I just felt like the past movies were used in succession to create this one. It was like there were no original ideas at all.
    I didn't relate to Lucario… but it probably tied in somehow.

Wow~ that's all I have to say. It was a cute movie, and a fun watch for sure. I missed the ending credits, since they didn't really show them ;--; …maybe on DVD?

Ah, well. Warm fuzzy feelings and a happy ending~ <3

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    The part when Darkrai was standing on a rock was weird, who knew he had legs? 0_0

Back