• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The Rise of Darkrai" Movie Discussion

gameplay

Beginning Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2010
    To me, I am really getting bored with the 3-D backgrounds and stuff. For once, I'd like to see an ordinary cartoon-Pokemon movie. (I wonder if they can really do that)

wolverfrog

Working on a Hack
    Years
    has ash got a different voice in this one? forgive me, i'm british so over here, the diamond and pearl anime has just started and he has the same voice from battle frontier. does his voice change later in the anime, or has it always been like that in the US?
    i found the movie good..but there wasn't enough of ash/pokemon battling in it, it was mostly all about darkrai. it would have been cool if arceus had shown up and restored it all to normal, i though that final song was going to be called arceus..=(

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    has ash got a different voice in this one? forgive me, i'm british so over here, the diamond and pearl anime has just started and he has the same voice from battle frontier. does his voice change later in the anime, or has it always been like that in the US?
    i found the movie good..but there wasn't enough of ash/pokemon battling in it, it was mostly all about darkrai. it would have been cool if arceus had shown up and restored it all to normal, i though that final song was going to be called arceus..=(
    Nope. It's still that Sarah [instert long, unpronounceable name here] girl. I think she did a really good job on the movie....but I still miss Veronica Taylor. Sarah started in the 9th Season (Battle Frontier)

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    The Rise of Darkrai was certianly fantastic in terms of battle and epicnessness [lol]
    No pika movie was a shocker ;O I love those, oh well, maybe they can bring them back. I thought the overall storyline did well.

Now one thing I got most from this movie was in fact it wasn't a movie, I failed to love the ending, at all.

Just a sound calming to gods of destruction and power doesn't cut it for me, people if they are gods, how does a noise from a tower with magical gold wings stomp them, I can see how it Helps lugia in the past, but I failed to see such great music stop such epic battle scenes. I absolutely enjoyed Darkrai completely eating it, when he when for palkia. Anyways back to my insight about it not being a movie, throughout the movie it laid clues and such that I didnt see needed nor fit, in such a way, that oh no. this is isn't a movie, it's just act one.

I felt as the way the movie went, it was certianly intertaining, and well executed unlike others. The way it played out and flowed was quite nice.

I am still in love with the battle scenes, gosh roar of time makes me want to go fight in the uber tier, badly. I enjoyed the effects.

Cons:

First and allway most: voices, still hate the new ash, always will, though Im ok with him not taking all the spotlight in this movie, the gods, and darkrai took it.

Everyone floating out of their dreams got me lost for a bit, but thanks to tivo I understood later on.
    Ummm, well, I didn't like the fact that a tower calms gods, sorry everyone, I just don't like it.

Also No flippin credits! come on!

Ok a tower calms them happily ever after! wooohooo, we know those two will be epically fighting in the next one, so that's how i kinda disiked it, but I really dont have much of a problem, though I must admit Pokemon really stepped up there game in terms of unpredictablily and storyline.

BeachBoy Productions Rates: a Solid 8.8/10

gameplay

Beginning Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2010
    The Rise of Darkrai was certianly fantastic in terms of battle and epicnessness [lol]
    No pika movie was a shocker ;O I love those, oh well, maybe they can bring them back. I thought the overall storyline did well.

Now one thing I got most from this movie was in fact it wasn't a movie, I failed to love the ending, at all.

Just a sound calming to gods of destruction and power doesn't cut it for me, people if they are gods, how does a noise from a tower with magical gold wings stomp them, I can see how it Helps lugia in the past, but I failed to see such great music stop such epic battle scenes. I absolutely enjoyed Darkrai completely eating it, when he when for palkia. Anyways back to my insight about it not being a movie, throughout the movie it laid clues and such that I didnt see needed nor fit, in such a way, that oh no. this is isn't a movie, it's just act one.

I felt as the way the movie went, it was certianly intertaining, and well executed unlike others. The way it played out and flowed was quite nice.

I am still in love with the battle scenes, gosh roar of time makes me want to go fight in the uber tier, badly. I enjoyed the effects.

Cons:

First and allway most: voices, still hate the new ash, always will, though Im ok with him not taking all the spotlight in this movie, the gods, and darkrai took it.

Everyone floating out of their dreams got me lost for a bit, but thanks to tivo I understood later on.
    Ummm, well, I didn't like the fact that a tower calms gods, sorry everyone, I just don't like it.

Also No flippin credits! come on!

Ok a tower calms them happily ever after! wooohooo, we know those two will be epically fighting in the next one, so that's how i kinda disiked it, but I really dont have much of a problem, though I must admit Pokemon really stepped up there game in terms of unpredictablily and storyline.

BeachBoy Productions Rates: a Solid 8.8/10

I would have to agree with you too, dude!
    Also, don't you just wish you can live in the anime world? Pokemon world? It would be so awesome! (Sorry for the little non-topic comment :/)

Years
    Also, don't you just wish you can live in the anime world? Pokemon world? It would be so awesome! (Sorry for the little non-topic comment :/)

Uh, no. Because I'd be afraid people would fry me with their pets all the time. Heh.

Anyway, there is interesting movie-related wank, as there will be an end song swap (no Sarah Brightman for you!).

https://community.livejournal.com/pokemon/1556409.html

Does it really matter? I don't think so, but you be the judge. Keep it sane, please.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ...Does it matter? We didn't get the credits this time around, anyway (though Friday's airing may be a different matter...).

Anyway, I really liked this movie. Seeing the trio of birds show up again this soon after the Indigo League was a ni-- ...What, this wasn't Pokemon 2000? But how can that be? The plot was the same!

......Heh. Seriously, we see the two legends fighting, the third semi-uber legend shows up to try to stop the fighting, and it gets removed from the scene by a team attack, leaving the heroes to use some sort of music to end it. The only real "difference" was the role of the confused show-off, this time taking an interesting twist by turning into a Pokemon. That fight was actually pretty entertaining, albeit short. ...Heh, if only he had been able to evolve...

It would've been okay with me if they used the song to summon Arceus to end the fighting, but no, that would probably make too much sense. Where was Arceus the whole time? I'm holding him responsible for not showing up and ending it. hmph.

That'll be Movie 12.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Uh, no. Because I'd be afraid people would fry me with their pets all the time. Heh.

Anyway, there is interesting movie-related wank, as there will be an end song swap (no Sarah Brightman for you!).

Does it really matter? I don't think so, but you be the judge. Keep it sane, please.

Apparently, Sarah Brightman only sung the song for Pokemon because her niece likes Pokemon. Imagine how sad she's going to be not to hear her aunt in Pokemon :(

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021

Figures. Even though it's a song that you'd probably expect to hear on a 100 Greatest Love Songs CD rather than Pokémon, it's not like it was any cornier than the opening they came up with. But I guess I'm biased, since I've been a long-time fan of Sarah Brightman... blah.

I'm really not looking forward to hearing what the song that's gonna replace it sounds like, though. XD;

gameplay

Beginning Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2010

Do you have a link as to where I can hear this song?

TheAlliedAxis

Pokemon fan forever!
    Years
    I liked it. It had a good amount of action which is always a plus. I would have loved if Ash would've played a similar role to the one he played in the ninth movie (Temple of the Sea) where he decides to risk his life to save May and Pikachu and everyone else. I cheered when Ash pulled his hat backwards like in the first episodes. I dig that whole heroic thing. As of now... I cannot rate The Rise of Darkrai until I see the next movie which will have some connection to TRD.

Minuteman III

More Boosters!
    Years
    Is it just me, or does Baron Alberto resemble Alberto Gonzales, at least in the "I ain't takin' s*** from nobody" sense? Seriously, I remember something from NPR after Gonzales resigned, and I was singing it to myself when Alberto (movie) gets dised.

" And that was the ballad/ Of Alberto Gonzales/Gonzaleeeezzzzzz.../Gonzaleeeezzzzzz..."
    From Le Show on NPR

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    11/10

The Movie completely broke shattered my expectation limits.

Best movie Yet, and probably forever if the future ones are not as pearlshippy. I loved the Oracion song. Maybe it got pronounced OrACEeon so Spanish cristians don't go "FRIGUN PUKAMUNZ SEND PRAIYARS TO THOUS 3? I'M FUDGAN SAUING!" I mean, come on, it's just a song name. And i mean SPECIALLY those that found out about arceus. I hope the future movies are like this. well, till 2009. Altough, it WAS premiered earlier than expected, unlike Movie 8. A tad earlier than Prince of the Sea maybe. So overall no flaws. The perfect stuff that if only was in the anime, Pokemon would beat the crap out of Disney like the Bad Boyz Pokemon is from.

Years
    Is it just me, or does Baron Alberto resemble Alberto Gonzales, at least in the "I ain't takin' s*** from nobody" sense? Seriously, I remember something from NPR after Gonzales resigned, and I was singing it to myself when Alberto (movie) gets dised.

" And that was the ballad/ Of Alberto Gonzales/Gonzaleeeezzzzzz.../Gonzaleeeezzzzzz..."
    From Le Show on NPR

Let's not drag politics into it, hm? Besides, he's out as AG, so does it really matter anymore?

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    I already saw the Japanese version a few weeks ago and I watched the English one this morning. I really think, this is a very good movie. After movie 9 I was afraid, they would screw up all future movies like that, but Pokemon 10 fortunately has a really high level.

I think the animation was really good. I especially enjoyed the battles in the opening sequence, the design of the space-time-tower and the part when the Oracion plays at the end of the movie. The dimensional rift looks pretty cool, too.

The music: Knowing that they again had the season opening at the beginning of the movie, I was afraid, they'd use the English season 10 opening. This song would have totally not fit the atmosphere of the opening sequence. But to my relief they made a new song. I really like it. Yeah, they do not have to shout "Pokemon" over and over again and it reminded me of the battle frontier opening but it still matched the atmosphere of the Japanese opening sequence pretty well.
    The score of this movie is just awsome. As good as the movie 8 score and better then many movie scores I know.
    So they replace "I will be with you"? OK, that's surprising. But I would not judge the new song before we have heard it. I really enjoyed the English movie 8 and movie 9 endings. I sure like the Japanese ending but I always asked myself, what the lyriks have to do with the movie. The song is about a seperating couple after all. Maybe the new song will have some connection to the movie plot.

The plot: Pretty much like movie 2 and still interesting and unique. I like the fact that Ash and Dawn play the hero part together this time. Having Ash as the one and only savior gets kind of boring after 9 movies ^^ I also like the idea of putting the whole town into a different dimension. The dark sky made the situation far more scary and the fact that they were in an unstable dimension made all these "magical" things like the golden light and the wings around the tower possibel and beliavable.
    Honestly, I don't understand why some people always need a bad guy. You have a bad guy who wants to destroy everything and a good guy who stops him. How boring. Especially because in real life things are not that easy as well. It's far more interesting and tragic when a dangerous and destructive situation arises out of the good guy's actions without any evil intention - just because of coincidences and unforeseeable coherences. Who can be blamed then, if there is no bead guy? How can everything be made right if there is no bad guy, who simply has to be defeated? I think, plots like that are more intelligent than simple good vs evil stories.

The voices: I think the dub is really good. I liked the voices of Alice, Alicia and Darkrai better in the Japanese version but still the American VAs did a great job with their acting.
    I would have liked to hear Darkrai saying "Get out!" instead of "Go away!" but it was alright. What really bugged me was the scene with Ash and Darkrai in the dark alley: In the Japenese version Darkrai says "Get out!" and Satoshi replies: "No, you get out!". Darkrai then says: "That's not the point!" and Satoshi "What?!". That was a hint to Darkrai not talking to the kids but someone else. In the English version the dialogue was altered to D: "Go away!" - A:"No, you go away" - D:"No I'll stay!" - A:"What?!" I guess they missed the point here a little. Although there were some (but really not many) screwed up scenes like that in the English dialogue it was a good dub all in all.

I enjoyed both versions of the movie from the first to the last second. I'm really looking forward to movie 11 now.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2008
    Aww the story wasn't as good as i thought. I was hoping for a more touching storyline than just plain fighting and Tonio's super endless theory. I'd say literally half of the movie was the clash between the 3 legendary pokemon. Also, the sound of Dialga and Palkia was definitely a ripoff from World of Warcraft's dragon mobs. The music was average, no outstanding ones and doesn't give an epic feeling : \

What i do like about the movie was its setting. Just like Lucario and the mystery of mew and Pokemon ranger, they sure spent alot of time on the settings. The castle in the 8th movie was based off neuschwanstein, a castle in germany. The ruins setting in the 9th movie were based off the ruins and islands in Italy. And this time, that space-time tower was based off Sagrada Familia, a roman catholic church in Barcelona! Sure is awesome isn't it?

The part where the space-time tower grew wings sure looks exactly the same as when Alexandria Castle transformed into Alexander in Final Fantasy 9. That was beautiful ;)

I was almost disappointed when i thought Darkrai was really dead for good. Glad he didn't though, because thats a piss poor way of ending the story, since the 10th movie was never meant to be a touching one.

Back