• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Size of Alola

BadEgg~

Pokémon: Volant Version Developer
Years
  • I'm a little bit concerned about the actual size of the new region. It looks...small. If there is a lot of post-game content like travelling to Kalos or something or some other region entirely then I could understand the small region. What are your thoughts?

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • Considering how Hawaii is made up of multiple islands, I'm guessing they just showed us the first island we'll be venturing in.

It makes sense, too. Didn't the trailer show us like 5 cities? At that time I would think we would have gotten HM3/Surf since it's sort half way through the main storyline.

I'm guessing we'll be using Surf to go the other part of the region.
    I wouldn't worry, tbh. I doubt Pokemon is going to give us a 5 or whatever city region.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I'm sure what they've just shown us is based on real world Oahu in Hawaii.

Hawaii is a string of islands, and Oahu isn't even the biggest. Gamefreak will have more planned in store I'm sure.

Jeischita_Homaji

Resident of the Acalia Region
    Years
  • No offence, but how could anyone think that the island shown in the trailer is the whole region? I genuinely don't mean to say this in a negative way, but this is definitely not the first thread I have seen on the subject and it leaves me baffled that people think GameFreak would copout like that. It has like one city, one pokemon center, one cave, and a beach community. Hawaii has eight islands, and if you look towards to the lower part of the downtown area, there seems to be a port for traveling between islands. The island in the trailer is just the starting area. If it was the whole region, the game would be like an hour long.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The island we saw from the trailer feels way too small to be the whole Region, that's what makes me think there will be multiple islands to make up the whole Region. As others have said it would make sense considering how Hawaii is made up of several islands.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am also 99% sure that there will be anywhere between 8 to 12 islands. I know Hawaii only has 8, but I wouldn't count out having one based on Easter Island and other small islands.

If you look at the trailer, you can literally see the whole city in one camera angle. You could probably see the whole region in 5 camera angles total. I do not think they would make a region based on Hawaii and only include one island. If it had been the big island, I could possibly seeing them stretch it, but after seeing the real world comparisons to France/Kalos, it would be way too small.

Also if you look at the map, you do not see the building that was in the announcement trailer anywhere on the map. And I highly highly doubt they would show us such a big building that looked important if it had been scrapped.

Jeischita_Homaji

Resident of the Acalia Region
    Years
  • I would also just like to take a moment to point out that what we see in the trailer is not simply a map, it is an overview of the island to scale as it appears in the game. It is an HD rendering of the entire first island!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Why is everyone so worried about this? It seems completely logical to me that this wouldn't be the only location. It even has a port...

Because it was the only island shown and some people do think it is the only island, so people are butting heads slightly. And other regions has had ports, but never used. Much like Kalos. Coumarine City had a port, but it was never used.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Why is everyone so worried about this? It seems completely logical to me that this wouldn't be the only location. It even has a port...
    I think it's just a fear of getting excited and then being extremely disappointed by what would be seen by fans as a unreasonable decision on GameFreak's part. Everyone has had some specific hope based off something they've seen pre-release on an older game only to have a disappointing different release.

As much as I'm hoping for several islands, I wouldn't be surprised if Alola was actually a smaller number, 3-4 with the smallest functioning as the starting location and the other 2-3 being a lot bigger instead of the 8 everyone is assuming.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    If the other islands are only small it seems fairly pointless to divide them and I'd rather if they were bigger and not like the Sevii Islands.

... Or I just had a crazy thought. Volcanoes underwater activate when the final battle happens (to do with Sun and Moon) and then boom. Suddenly the land rises, connecting the entire region. I really hope that's the case.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • If the other islands are only small it seems fairly pointless to divide them and I'd rather if they were bigger and not like the Sevii Islands.

... Or I just had a crazy thought. Volcanoes underwater activate when the final battle happens (to do with Sun and Moon) and then boom. Suddenly the land rises, connecting the entire region. I really hope that's the case.

Looking at this map and comparing it to the map we saw, the black circle is most likely the island we know of currently.

Spoiler:

The red circle, these islands could be the main center of the game. They probably could all be connected by water routes or even bridges in some cases, or underwater tunnels.

The blue circle would probably be the biggest island and possible where we get the snow in the games, as it snows on the mountains there if I am not mistaken.

The orange circle could be the 7th or 8th gym. There would be a ton of back tracking in this game if that was the case.

The purple circle is apparently known as the 'Forbidden Island' this could be where we fight the legendary pokemon of the game and possibly the hide out for the evil team.

I do not see the land rising, as that would require Groudon in the Pokemon World. But they could also adjust the scale of each island. I am also still thinking they may include a few other islands such as Easter Island. If you put all the island together, it would probably end up being as big as Sinnoh.

I do not think we will have to surf as much though. I think boats could he used a lot.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    Well it's all island based so this is clearly the starting island, I think you can see a dock as well in the trailer so best guess is a ferry to the other islands and later on the soaring feature from ORAS.

Years
  • There will most certainly be other islands then this one that we will get to travel through. As people other then myself have already stated; The read Hawaii has like eight islands or something. So no doubt this one will also have a decent amount.

Ooh, I bet it'll be like traveling through the orange islands back in the anime.
    Though it does feel like most gens end up traveling to islands at some point, right?

though having a whole game dedicated to an island chain, now that's gonna be fun.
    I wonder if we'll be traveling via Pokemon mount or by ferry to get to the other islands.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I could actually see up to 2 gyms if they have a good number of routes on the starter island, although it looks like kalos esque route 1 :p

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Small fun fact for those not familiar, but several tourists like to island-hop Hawaii by three different methods of transportation: ferry, cruise ship, and airplane. That'd be kinda cool if we were enabled to do all three, regardless of having access to Surf and Fly.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'd be highly surprised if they let us use a plane properly. Although I can see just a water plane fitting in perfectly with the games. That might even be how you get there.

Years
  • I'd be highly surprised if they let us use a plane properly. Although I can see just a water plane fitting in perfectly with the games. That might even be how you get there.

A seaplane would be something great, especially if we're going to see vehicles used prominently in this game. It could also serve as an alternative to having to use a Surfer on your team all the time.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think it just depends on how close each Island is from one another, assuming they are then a boat could easily accommodate to transport. In FRLG it was even possible to Fly between each of the Sevii Island with them being relatively close to one another.

Back