• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Sony controller

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    This is more or less to people out there like Brit that says "Sony doesn't take things from Nintendo".
    Incase none of you have heard, Sony has done it again. I think Jorfe put it best...
    "Blue says:
    Basically they jacked the Wii's control"

Just read below...

21:35.56 -
    "I have one more big thing that we have kept secret from you." Back in 1994, he says, the controller shape was quite unique. The new controller is out. It's a Dual Shock 2, or so it looks - but it's not, with a little Xbox-guide-style button in the centre.
    Phil Harrison's brought out with the controller, which has new technology inside it too, he says.
    "It's not what it looks like, it's what it does." A box appears on screen saying "Not to be opened until E3".

21:37.25 -
    He's put the pad down. A pad is on screen. He picks it up, the one on screen flies. Has six degrees or freedom built in as standard with no external sensor required, says Harrison.

21:38.13 -
    This'll come with every PlayStation 3, says Harrison. Fluid movement in games is completely possible, he says. Imagine leaning into corners, basically.
    And now Harrison's moving a duck around by moving his hands, without pressing any buttons. He says the new controller's lighter than the PS2 version. It'll ship with every PS3 he says.

21:39.35 -
    Thank you, Kutaragi says, leaving the stage. Harrison's still up there. "Finally, I have to make a slight confession" he says. They've modified a game to take advantage, having known about the controller for "a couple of weeks", he says - it's WarHawk.

21:40.43 -
    Dylan from Incognito comes on and he's controlling a plane on-screen by wiggling the pad with his hands, using the buttons to fire and nothing else. It looks like one of those dodgy virtual reality film concepts, except, er, he's doing it.
    Unleashes rockets, Panzer Dragoon/Rez-style at ships, which he dodges past using deft hand gestures.

21:41.36 -
    Dylan Jobe: "It's incredibly exhilarating." The sensitivity, the weight "is what we were hoping for the PlayStation 3". "Very kinetic control mechanics" possible, he adds.

That makes me sooooo happy with Sony. <_<

So, what does everyone think about it?

Years
    Don Patch agrees with Blue fully. This is definitely a ripoff of the Wii controller. I believe that they are infringing on a patent, too.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    I think that what Sony did finally proves that Nintendo is the real innovator and that Sony is.......the opposite. I am pretty mad right now but what can I do about it?

The PS3 controller can only sense 'movement' as in it only has accelerometers but it can't sense it's position in 3D space hence why they need no sensors. The Wii controller on the other hand does sense it's position in 3D space so it knows where it's at in 3D space. I'm trying to think of a good example of this.

If you want to aim in a FPS game with the PS3 controller you still have to aim with the analog stick but on the Wii all you have to do is point. It's not exactly like a Wii controller but I'm still pissed!!

In other words the PS3 controller is only a half hearted rip-off by Sony that will only be good for say......racing games and flight games but will not be as good(or even come close) as the Wii controller for things that require sensors for 3D space positioning like.....tennis, FPS, swords, baseball, and other games of the sort.

The only thing that Sony showed me with this is the fear they have of Nintendo's controller.

Last edited:

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Around Nintendo they had to be yelling when they saw Sony come out with that rip off. But like you said, it just proves that Nintendo is the one that comes up with new stuff and Sony comes along after them and takes it.

I'm not happy about this one bit. What I want more then anything right now is for Nintendo to come out and totally blow away Sony's press conference. I want Nintendo to put the Revolution back in the Wii.

And I got more on what I think of the Sony controller in the Nintendo Fan Club.

Pretty Boy Sean

Journeyman
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jun 15, 2007
    I think Sony also has their own version of Xbox Marketplace for the PS3 too.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    Yeah, they have that too......but that's a different thing altogether.

I want Nintendo to totally kill at their conference now, I wanted them to do so before but now even more. Just to give more examples of how bad a rip-off this is:

Has anyone played Kirby Tilt and Tumble? That's all it is folks, a Kirby Tilt and Tumle type of thing while the Wii controller gives you so much more.

https://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

Last edited:

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    To me, it really doesn't matter which lemming was leading and which was following; all I know is that they'll both go over the cliff either way.

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
    The Sony controller

It looks better with visuals, and not descriptions ;P

Edit: yay 2.5k post ;p

Years
    If I ever had any respect for Sony, it just went out the window.
    I heard that they were gunna make a dual screen add-on for the the PSP aswell, but that was ages ago. O.o

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    I don't really care. I stopped caring about Sony's copying long ago (and by "long ago" I mean "earlier today") because it happens so much. It's not even a complete copy, just the idea of it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Sony took a controller idea from Nintendo?

You must be kidding? <<

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me at all. This isn't the first time it's happened, and I heard rumbling about this shortly after the Wiimote was first revealed.

But whatever little shrivle of respect I had for Sony is now gone.

I think Blue said it best.

Years
    My only question is this: When has Sony ever some out with something original?

1) CD-ROM Format - Taken from 3DO/Sega CD.

2) Controller Design (With Modification): SNES Controller

3) Analog Stick: Nintendo 64

4) PSP: Nintendo Gameboy Advance (I compared it to a GBA and the general design is basically the same.)

6) Tilt Fuction : Nintendo Wii & Microsoft (Side Winder PC controllers)

7) Guide Button Thing - Microsoft

The only true original ideas they have ever had were USB ports on consoles and new media. If Sony wasn't such a mimic, I would probably love them. (And if they made their systems durable.)

So, my verdict is: Rediculous. 3/10. You get bored of the controller layout after a while and the tilt functionality will only work well in some games.

This also brings another question to mind: how are they going to add rumble?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    They threw this in at the last minute too. the Warhawk people didn't even know about this until a week and a half ago, and didn't implement it until two days ago!

Last minute copying idea?

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Sweeties, I'm gonna express my opinions into point of views.

Fanboy: What the heck sweeties?! They gone and ripped off Nintendo's controller. ><;
    For God's sake can they ever think of think of anything original?! ><; This really made me mad at Sony and their Plagarize Station 3. This proves one thing sweeties, Sony won't be anything without Nintendo.

Non-bias Point of View: Well to be honest, it is trying to mimic Wii's motion sensor controller. But PS3's controller can move 6 degrees (Well from what I heard.) The only things I can think of actually using PS3's motion censor is to steer, or move a character slightly. Nothing real pratical like the Wii's, sweetie.

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
    Ha thats a laugh...Look at the design of the PS1 and PS2 controllers...thats right it Sony has perfected the controller...who cares if they have motion censors in them...Survival of the Fittest...plus Nintendo's use of the censor is much different and arcade style...where as Sony's use is for like people have said above more or less for Racing and or inginuity...

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    Don Patch said:
    My only question is this: When has Sony ever some out with something original?

1) CD-ROM Format - Taken from 3DO/Sega CD.

2) Controller Design (With Modification): SNES Controller

3) Analog Stick: Nintendo 64

4) PSP: Nintendo Gameboy Advance (I compared it to a GBA and the general design is basically the same.)

6) Tilt Fuction : Nintendo Wii & Microsoft (Side Winder PC controllers)

7) Guide Button Thing - Microsoft

The only true original ideas they have ever had were USB ports on consoles and new media. If Sony wasn't such a mimic, I would probably love them. (And if they made their systems durable.)

So, my verdict is: Rediculous. 3/10. You get bored of the controller layout after a while and the tilt functionality will only work well in some games.

This also brings another question to mind: how are they going to add rumble?

Wii doesn't have tilt function, it has gyroscopes. It doesn't sense motion, it senses where it is in 3D space.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Princess Peach said:

Non-bias Point of View: Well to be honest, it is trying to mimic Wii's motion sensor controller. But PS3's controller can move 6 degrees (Well from what I heard.) The only things I can think of actually using PS3's motion censor is to steer, or move a character slightly. Nothing real pratical like the Wii's, sweetie.
    I thought it was five degress?

Alex The Great Master

Zeophyte in Eternal Exile
    Years
    Sony knows nothing about videogames, and this proves it. The worst thing about this, it uses old tecnology Nintendo has used for years (ever since Tilt n Tumble). That means, the PS3 is crap.

Back