• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I don't know about Pokabu. It might stay just Fire. It seems like it could get Ground, but Fire/Ground is a very weak type combination.

Tustarja could get Poison or Flying. It won't be getting Dragon though, that's too powerful for a starter and would mess up the elemental rock-paper-scissors.

Mijumaru might get Ice. It better not get Steel. And I can't really see it getting anything else.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Tsutaja I can see becoming a Grass/Poison type on its final stage of evolution. Only reason though is because it's based on a grass snake, and when you think of snakes the mind immediately thinks to venom or poison. Then again, it's always possible Tsutaja could end up being a Grass type all the way, since I believe grass snakes are known not to be a threat as far as poison goes.

For Pokabu, I could see it being a Fire/Ground type since it is a Pig Pokémon; pigs love mud. I could also see it as a Fire/Dark type because of the black markings on its body.

Mijumaru I picture as either a Water/Ice or Water/Ground. The Water/Ice type I believe everyone gets why. As for the Water/Ground though, I think it has something to do with its shell on its stomach. If not, then I see Mijumaru being solely a Water type alone by its final stage.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Oh, Dark. I forgot about Dark. That would fit for Pokabu and Fire/Dark is a really nice type combination. I'm really hoping for that now.

Years
    Grass/Flying

Water/Fighting or Water/Rock- otters smash shellfish with rocks. Rock STAB or Rock Smash STAB

Fire/Poison- I don't see why evil would be endorsed by science and handed out to youth.

Grass/Flying guy can Fly move STAB Venusaur and all other Grass starters, hitting Fire and Water starters for a neutral hit.

Fire/Poison, with STAB move, would hit all other starters for at least a neutral hit. Dark would be resisted by Fight and Steel.

Water/Rock and Water/Fighting is my thought more in terms of HM Strength. I expect to see Wotter evolve towards an Ursaring in appearance. Seals are more of a colder water critter, so I see little sense in dual Ice there. Maybe Otter will be Water/Furry!

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I guess Tsutarja's final evolution will be part Dragon- or Flying-Type. I can't imagine another combination. Pokabu could become part Ground. I hope it won't become Fighting. With Blaziken and Infernape, we have to Fire/Fighting-Starters. Too much in my opinion. I don't know what Mijumaru will become.

I hope that Tsutarja's final evolution is part-Flying. The reason I pick Charmander whenever I run through Kanto is so that Charizard can ferry me places without me needing to pick up a Flying-type as a Slave. :| I...don't really care about the other two Starters, lol. Tsut is mine :3

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2021
    Grass/Dark, Grass/Fighting, Fire/Poison or Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting.

Smugleaf/Tsutaja just screams Dark type to me, and if that is indeed a leaked 2nd stage for him, then it just gets even more Dark looking. Snakes are also tricky creatures to mess with. They have their own unique fighting style. I could see him whipping out some weird Fighting type move for some reason. Plus, if Gamefreak learned anything, it's that Breloom is loved fiercely, and they tend to like to go overboard with loved typings *cough*DragonsandPsychics*cough*

Pokabu/Pyroink looks like he could be Fire/Psychic. I know we already have a Psychic pig, but... has that stopped Pokemon before? We already had an Electric Mouse, and they introduce Plusle and Minun which are, for all purposes, Electric rodents. He could also be Poison because, well, it's a unique typing for one which was what set at least one Starter apart for the most part, and I dunno... just a feeling.

Mijumaru/Wotter I've said from it's reveal will become a Fighting. It's an otter. They can fight, surprisingly. Plus, it just gives me the feeling that it'll evolve into an epic Pokemon, like Torchic does. Again, using the potentially leaked tier 2, it looks like a Fighter to me. Plus, again, it's a fairly unique type combo. If memory serves, only Poliwrath is Water/Fighting.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I'm expecting

Grass/Dragon or Grass/Poison
    Fire or Fire/Dark
    Water or Water/Ice or Water/Fighting

XxRogueTrainerxX

Needs a better username
    Years
    I think Pyroink will most likely be a Fire/Ground-type as opposed to a Fire/Rock-type. I couldn't imagine its body solidifying as it evolves.

Smugleaf screams Grass/Poison type.

I could care less about Wotter, since I'm really not of fan of it, but for the sake of the thread, I'll say Water/Ice-type.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    Grass - I'll say Grass/Fighting, looks like it could do some martial arts, quick and packs a punch

Fire - I'll shoot for Fire/Dark, dunno why, it'd be pretty cool to see it turn into an evil lookin Worthog type thing with gruesome tusks

Water - I choose Water/Rock, mainly because I'm looking at the shell on it's tummy and how it might be utilized as armour as it evolves

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I'm thinking:

Tsutaja: Grass/Flying or just plain Grass
    Pokabu: Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground
    Mijumaru: Water/Ice or Water/Fighting

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    i hope the lizard things final is grass/dragon. the otter thing water/ice, fire pig just plain fire.

i hated 4th gens because they had 2ndary types that felt uneeded, but it was only because of their designs they had them(empoleon should have been ice not steel)

what i mean, is that if feraligatr was made in 4th gen, it would probably have been water/dark or water/fighting. and if blastoise was, it would probably have been water/steel. i noticed they have been getting crazy with 2ndary types in 4th gen

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I have a feeling they'll all have secondary types, the Johto starters tend to get looked down upon due to their pure typings even in final form (I still love 'em anyway), and I've always thought it makes sense for them to have unusual dual-typings since starters are supposed to be rare Pokemon.

For Tsutarja... I could see him going a lot of ways. Flying would be quite interesting, we haven't had a part-Flying starter since Charizard, and the only other Grass/Flying is Tropius, who's more for HMs than anything. Dragon is a possibility, at first I found it unlikely due to shaking up the triangle dynamics, but then again, Empoleon's Steel-type... the Grass/Dragon potential sounds good to me, I have to admit. I've heard Electric but it really makes no sense to me to say that based on a bit of yellow alone, and Poison's been done to death as a secondary type for Grass. I would say that if any was most likely to stay single-type, it'd be this guy, but we have Meganium and Sceptile already, so I think that's very improbable.

In Pokabu's case... Dark seems most likely to me. Not because he's partially black (see Tsutarja/yellow/Electric), but because if he seems likely to evolve into a boar. With those big tusks, I could definitely see some moves like Crunch or Night Slash... it would probably learn Fire Fang, and a lot of Pokemon that can learn that also learn Crunch, so it seems a logical progression. Ground seems next most likely to me, but we had a part-Ground last generation so I hope they try a new type. I can't really see any other combos as particularly likely.

Finally, Mijumaru... he's the toughest for me to say, I could see him as Ice or Rock. A part-Ice otter seems acceptable, and it would counter Tsutarja (especially if he becomes a Dragon). On the other hand, Rock is possible, a lot of the potential evos I've seen play up the shell aspect, and I hear he has a move called "Shell Blade" or something to that effect. After Omastar, Kabutops, Corsola, and Relicanth, I do think it's a very nice but underappreciated type combination. I just can't say something very definitive for some reason, he's such an unusual starter that he could be a potential wildcard.

I have high hopes overall for these starters, though. September's too long to wait.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Pokabu's my fav, and I don't like Tsuutaja/Smugleaf, but if any of those little rascals gets a fighting type, then screw the other two, its all mine!
    I think Pokabu is the "defensive" Pokemon of the trio, so it will be the one to get Rock, Steel, Ground (hardy types(
    I just can't see Mijumaru becoming all armor-y, I think it will have high speed though.

Scorpio219

PM me for custom banners
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2013
    besides the fact that these pokemon (not trying to troll) look like crap they should make some unused type combos like fire/poison grass/flying (not that dinosaur one) water/fire would be crazy cool as well.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Wild guesses here,but I am goign to go with these.

The Fire Pig
    I can see it being Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground

The Sea Otter thing:
    Water/Ice

The Grass Snake:
    Grass/Posion
    Grass/Dark
    or
    Grass/Ground

Silver.Nova

Golden Smile and Silver Tears
    Years
    I'm really hoping Tsuutaja is gonna be dragon/grass. He looks like he could be one.

As for the other two, rock is a bit too common of a type. I like the idea of fire/poison for Pokabu. It doesn't seem likely based on appearence but it's not impossible.

Mijumaru might as well stay pure water type, as for as I can tell. No other indication it might go another way besides the shell on its stomach but that could evolve into something different. I'll jump on the bandwagon and say steel or rock.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I can see Mijumaru as Water/Rock in relation to the shell, which I think will become a very prominent body feature in later evolutions.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    I have a feeling they'll all have secondary types, the Johto starters tend to get looked down upon due to their pure typings even in final form (I still love 'em anyway), and I've always thought it makes sense for them to have unusual dual-typings since starters are supposed to be rare Pokemon.

For Tsutarja... I could see him going a lot of ways. Flying would be quite interesting, we haven't had a part-Flying starter since Charizard, and the only other Grass/Flying is Tropius, who's more for HMs than anything. Dragon is a possibility, at first I found it unlikely due to shaking up the triangle dynamics, but then again, Empoleon's Steel-type... the Grass/Dragon potential sounds good to me, I have to admit. I've heard Electric but it really makes no sense to me to say that based on a bit of yellow alone, and Poison's been done to death as a secondary type for Grass. I would say that if any was most likely to stay single-type, it'd be this guy, but we have Meganium and Sceptile already, so I think that's very improbable.

In Pokabu's case... Dark seems most likely to me. Not because he's partially black (see Tsutarja/yellow/Electric), but because if he seems likely to evolve into a boar. With those big tusks, I could definitely see some moves like Crunch or Night Slash... it would probably learn Fire Fang, and a lot of Pokemon that can learn that also learn Crunch, so it seems a logical progression. Ground seems next most likely to me, but we had a part-Ground last generation so I hope they try a new type. I can't really see any other combos as particularly likely.

Finally, Mijumaru... he's the toughest for me to say, I could see him as Ice or Rock. A part-Ice otter seems acceptable, and it would counter Tsutarja (especially if he becomes a Dragon). On the other hand, Rock is possible, a lot of the potential evos I've seen play up the shell aspect, and I hear he has a move called "Shell Blade" or something to that effect. After Omastar, Kabutops, Corsola, and Relicanth, I do think it's a very nice but underappreciated type combination. I just can't say something very definitive for some reason, he's such an unusual starter that he could be a potential wildcard.

I have high hopes overall for these starters, though. September's too long to wait.

yea but i mean it has more ups and downs. infernape is neutral to rock, but it gets f'd up by the move psychic because of its second type. and then theres still earthquake, 2x extreme danger

and look at charizard, rock moves really mess it up (stone edge), but its immune to earthquake

Years
    Tsuutaja - Grass
    Pokabu - Fire or Fire/Ground
    Mijumaru - Water or Water/Ice

That is my take. They might just keep it as just Grass, Water, and Fire, with no secondary types, since they are trying to make this a sort of rebirth thing, if that makes sense.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back