• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years

Nope...Sceptile is pure grass...I should know as I'm the Hoenn expert :P
    So yeah it's the opposite...

yeah you're true. checked serebii, and says it is pure Grass. (I still don't get why Meganium isn't /Poison, Typhlosion not/ Fighting, and Fereligatr not /Fighting too) But I can see Smugleaf's final evo turning into /Water or /Dragon! That would be EPIC!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    yeah you're true. checked serebii, and says it is pure Grass. (I still don't get why Meganium isn't /Poison, Typhlosion not/ Fighting, and Fereligatr not /Fighting too) But I can see Smugleaf's final evo turning into /Water or /Dragon! That would be EPIC!
    Well considering Pokabu is Fire/Fighting than the balance would be broken if Smugleaf is Grass/Water and even more if it's Grass/Dragon, they like keeping the balance they did so in Sinnoh when they thought of the duel types even...

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years

Well considering Pokabu is Fire/Fighting than the balance would be broken if Smugleaf is Grass/Water and even more if it's Grass/Dragon, they like keeping the balance they did so in Sinnoh when they thought of the duel types even...

Sadly enough, you're right...

Gonna sleep now. Pretty late here.

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
    Man, I would love Tsu's final evo beyond words if it ended up being a Grass/Water type! Been waiting forever to get another one besides Ludicolo.

That said, I'm importing White, and I'll be choosing Mijumaru on that file, but once Black comes out in America I'm going back to my tradition of sticking with the Grass type.

Years
    Ehhh, I think I'll just use one of the monkeys from the monkey trio instead...
    It almost seems like GF made the elemental monkeys as a secondary option. xD
    I'll probably use Yanappu for my first time playing White. <3 I've never abandoned my starter before, but I've never tried it, and I think it'll be fun. :3

Chocos0

Eclipse the Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    After seeing the possible evolutions (Are these confirmed?), I might change my mind with the otter.
    Besides, I love water types, and the final one of the otter looks nice.

Red/Blue/FR/LG = Blastoise
    G/S/C/HG/SS = Typhlosion.
    R/S/E = Swampert.
    D/P/Pt = Torterra (Pt = Empoleon)
    B/W/? = Grass/Water

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I have to say, I am really disappointed with the new evolutions. Especially Fire/Fighting being used again. :(

Tsujara - Smug and awesome. 8/10.
    Pokabu - PIGS ARE THE SECOND GREATEST ANIMAL EVER. 10/10
    Mijumaru - I thought it was ugly at first, but it grew on me - 6/10

Tsujara evo - Eh. Not as cool, doesn't really add anything to the design. 6/10
    Pokabu evo - Not. A. Pig. I have no idea what that fat stupid thing is - except that it's Fire/Fighting and no thank you I am not having that again. 1/10
    Mijumaru - I like it. It's more dynamic and attractive - 8/10

Tsujara 2nd evo - It has no legs. I was hoping for legs. S'alright I guess, but more could have been done with that line. 6/10
    Pokabu 2nd evo - A bigger, fatter standing-up, Fire/Fighting not!pig. 0/10
    Mijumaru 2nd evo - The heck? It looks nothing like it's predecessors. 5/10

I think I may well go with Smugleaf but ditch him once I've caught a few more. All in all, the starters have disappointed me, and I'm much more inclined to go with a team with no starters - Meguroko, Wooguru, Denchura, Mamanbou, Shimama, Mubukijika, Kurumiru, Doryuuzu Bafuron and Desukan are all much better designs IMO by miles.

Years
    Tsutarja-smug and awesome 8/10
    Majimaru-cute 7/10
    Pokabu- A pig, awesome 8/10

Tsutarja2- Cool, looks smuggier to me :) 8/10
    majimaru2- I like it's samurai pose and is awesomer than it's pre evolution 8/10
    Pokabu2- It's awesome, it looks like a sumo pig mixed with a roman fighter 7/10

Tsutarja3- Elegance, and cool coloring 9/10
    Majimaru3- It's huge and is so Awesome, especially with that shell on it's head 9/10 :D!
    Pokabu3- It lost most of it's cuteness but it's toughness makes up for it :) 7/10
    Over all I'm getting Tsutarja still :)

Fort PokePower

Muffins forever
    Years
    I'm choosing Pokabu because every pokemon game I've played my starter has been a fire-type so I want to keep the tradition. Besides, fire-types are my favorites.

The Red Chain

I might as well do this too so I can give my thoughts on the starters better~

Tsutaaja - Deliciously kewl and unique. 9/10.
    Pokabu - Awhhh, bunny pig. <3 So cute! 7/10
    Mijumaru - I didn't dig this little guy too much at first, but the anime previews made me love the crud out of him. - 8/10

Tsutaaja evolution - Who thought it would be a good idea to make Tsutaaja look more feminine..? 5/10
    Pokabu evolution - It sucks. There's nothing more to say. It just.. sucks. 3/10
    Mijumaru evolution - Love it love it love it! <3 - 9/10

Tsutaaja 2nd evolution - I wanted it to keep it's limbs. Lost it's awesomeness. Looks wayyy too Milotic-like for my tastes. 2/10
    Pokabu 2nd evolution - Okay, really...? Seriously? Ew. 0/10
    Mijumaru 2nd evolution - They had something gorgeous going and effed it all up. Nty. 2/10

Overall, sucky evos. Awesome basics. ;3

Years
    I might as well do this too so I can give my thoughts on the starters better~

Tsutaaja - Deliciously kewl and unique. 9/10.
    Pokabu - Awhhh, bunny pig. <3 So cute! 7/10
    Mijumaru - I didn't dig this little guy too much at first, but the anime previews made me love the crud out of him. - 8/10

Tsutaaja evolution - Who thought it would be a good idea to make Tsutaaja look more feminine..? 5/10
    Pokabu evolution - It sucks. There's nothing more to say. It just.. sucks. 3/10
    Mijumaru evolution - Love it love it love it! <3 - 9/10

Tsutaaja 2nd evolution - I wanted it to keep it's limbs. Lost it's awesomeness. Looks wayyy too Milotic-like for my tastes. 2/10
    Pokabu 2nd evolution - Okay, really...? Seriously? Ew. 0/10
    Mijumaru 2nd evolution - They had something gorgeous going and effed it all up. Nty. 2/10

Overall, sucky evos. Awesome basics. ;3
    Lol well Tsutarja is a female in the anime so it's like Bayleef which is pretty feminine...they could be thinking that...

austin00081

young money
    Years
    Tsutaaja: ehh, it's kind of ugly, but it's smirk makes it cute. 6/10
    Pokabu: wished it woulve been a donkey, but it's still cute. I'll choose it as my starter. 8/10
    Mijumaru: I'm not into it's ugly expression, and those weird puffy shoulders. 4/10

Janobii: Looks the same, just a few more leaves and shorter arms/legs. 5/10
    Chaobuu: it's sad. There's goes my choice as picking pokabu for a starter. 2/10
    Futachimaru: Now this is a lot better. It actually looks like an otter now! I'll rethink picking Mijumaru. 8/10

Tsutaaja's 3rd evo: A leafy, queenie looking snake. Not too bad. 7/10
    Pokabu's 3rd: It looks a lot better, but still isn't holding up to my standards. 6/10
    Mijumaru's 3rd: uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... no ty. 4/10

I'm probably going to pick Tsutaaja.

The Red Chain

Lol well Tsutarja is a female in the anime so it's like Bayleef which is pretty feminine...they could be thinking that...

Well I know, but if you remember starters are 87.5% males.
    So it doesn't make sense to make Tsutaaja completely feminine like they did. ;~;

Good thing it's evolution's sprite doesn't hold the girlyness that the Sugimori artwork does.

Years

Well I know, but if you remember starters are 87.5% males.
    So it doesn't make sense to make Tsutaaja completely feminine like they did. ;~;

Good thing it's evolution's sprite doesn't hold the girlyness that the Sugimori artwork does.

One thing I hate about Pokemon.
    And heck, look at Chikorita. The most feminine of them all... 87.5% male, smh.

The Red Chain

And heck, look at Chikorita. The most feminine of them all... 87.5% male, smh.

I dunno, I can see Bayleef and Chikorita being males. Even Meganium a little due to it's big stocky form. With Tsutaaja it looks more male than anything in basic form, but I can see the female in it too. But with the evolution it just looks entirely feminine to me. >.<

Silly designers. ;~;

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    Lemme try!
    Tsutaaja: It's smirking! SMugleaf's cool. 8/10
    Mijumaru: Cute. Awesome with its epic stare. 8/10
    Pokabu: A little cute. But not as epic as Miju. 7/10

Tsutaaja2: Smirkier than ever. Smugleaf x2! Though It would be a bit weird if it was Male... 8.5/10
    Mijumaru2: Awesome pose! Looks really cool too! 9/10
    POkabu2: Lost its cuteness. Design wise, it sucks. But I'm sure its better in battle. 6.8/10

Tsutaaja3: Graceful and cool at the same time. But its lost its smirk and it looks a bit evil. I hate evil starters :(. 9.4/10
    Mijumaru3: Awesome with the shell, sword and everything, but I wish its body had more colors than just a dark blue. 9.5/10
    Pokabu3: It looks terrible. But it seems a good battler. Because of that: 8.9/10

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    Sceptile was pure grass. Shame, I think it would've been beloved if it had a dragon type pinned on.

I wish they would change some types. Blastoise would be wonderful if it were water/steel, and bulbasaur really needs to go a be grass-only like all the other starters.

When these Pokemon were first released, I thought they were fake. But later, after looking at fan art and anime portrayal, I absolutely wanted all three. Tsutaja was my first liked. Mijumaru was almost always seen as female in pre-release screenshots. Pokabu just has a baby's bottom. Once I saw their final evolutions, I was like "these have got to be fake". Now I'm willing to accept them, but I think I might quit Pokemon if that creep Pokexperto is right that their types will be grass, fire/fighting, and water. It feels like a kick in the crotch. Seriously, dual types make the Pokemon and fire/fighting was overused for starters last generation. I'm p.o.ed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back