• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Pokabu still has an awesome typing despite the past two starters having had had it, I like Fire/Fighting but wish they had chosen Fire/Dark but it's still alright :)
    I like Tsutarja the best even if it is a pure Grass typed, I had two of them before those being Meganium and Sceptile :)

Ohhhh only grass type. What a bummer. I was thinking that it would have been grass/dragon for sure! I must have missed it's typing in the CoroCoro magazine.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I really don't like that they're making another Fire-Fighting starter. Still, I'm picking Pokabu.

Hear hear. Blaziken was epicl as it was unique. Infernape was cool too. Now it's getting a bit...ehhh. I'm choosing the water starter though, even if it is the most abundant type of them all. xD

King Gumball

Years
    I'm sure it being fire/fighting won't be THAT bad. I mean it still looks awesome and cool. It won't be like completely replacing Blaziken although it probably will become more popular because in my opinion it looks better. It is still unique in it's own way-it's looks. It is big and buff and is a fighting pig!! You will eventually learn to love it ;)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm sure it being fire/fighting won't be THAT bad. I mean it still looks awesome and cool. It won't be like completely replacing Blaziken although it probably will become more popular because in my opinion it looks better. It is still unique in it's own way-it's looks. It is big and buff and is a fighting pig!! You will eventually learn to love it ;)
    Yeah I already think that, I love Blaziken and love this pig too :)
    Though I think that next gen we might have another fire/Fighting starter...they should have made Typlosion Fire/fighting too

Years
    Speaking of next gen do you think that the future games will be in other continents too? Doesn't seem fair to have one region sooo far away and the other 4 so close together. I hope there will be future games in all of the continents.

Psh, then we better get an Australian based region in the 6th gen. That would be awwwwwesome... Even if I'm American. :P

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I think the final evolutions for the starters are definitely fake. The art that they came with was pretty poor. It's possible that the people got leaks of the September CoroCoro and made up the final evolution based on the design of the second. Evidence? The artwork for all the 2nd stage Pokemon is all flawed -- Janobii is the wrong shade of green, Chaobuu's head is angled wrong, and Futachimaru's obviously based on the beta artwork, and doesn't reflect the official.

That, and the final evolutions look nothing like the first two.

King Gumball

Years
    I think the final evolutions for the starters are definitely fake. The art that they came with was pretty poor. It's possible that the people got leaks of the September CoroCoro and made up the final evolution based on the design of the second. Evidence? The artwork for all the 2nd stage Pokemon is all flawed -- Janobii is the wrong shade of green, Chaobuu's head is angled wrong, and Futachimaru's obviously based on the beta artwork, and doesn't reflect the official.

They were proved to be real in Pokebeach because the second evos and the final evos were leaked together, and the second evos were proved real.

Years

As much as I want for these to be fake, they're sadly real. I mean... there's not much reason to fuss over it anymore. I was positive that these would be fake as well, and when I saw them on the CoroCoro, I felt my stomach drop. I dreaded the day that these would be confirmed. Yes, these are probably the least popular starter evolutions so far, but we'll just have to get used to them. Let's just hope that the 6th generation won't have such sucky starters... OR ANOTHER FIRE/FIGHTING-TYPE STARTER. 33:<

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012

I'm hoping for this, frankly. I can live with Tsutaja and Pokabu's evolutions appearance-wise, but Mijumaru's is a huge let-down and the typings are, if you'll excuse my saying so, absolutely pathetic. I had been under the impression that GameFreak had been listening to the fans for this game, but given that the starters are some of the most iconic Pokemon of a generation... it's really disappointing. I wouldn't mind if these middle ones are real and the finals are, indeed, faked based off of those.

Just... poor job on these. This is the first time I've looked at any set of final starter evos and not liked any of them right away. And normally I like every Pokemon from the beginning.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
    I'm hoping for this, frankly. I can live with Tsutaja and Pokabu's evolutions appearance-wise, but Mijumaru's is a huge let-down and the typings are, if you'll excuse my saying so, absolutely pathetic. I had been under the impression that GameFreak had been listening to the fans for this game, but given that the starters are some of the most iconic Pokemon of a generation... it's really disappointing. I wouldn't mind if these middle ones are real and the finals are, indeed, faked based off of those.

Just... poor job on these. This is the first time I've looked at any set of final starter evos and not liked any of them right away. And normally I like every Pokemon from the beginning.

Well I can't help anything else but agree with you guys. Or girls. I personally still cherish the idea that those might be fake or that CoroCoro has mistaken. Or just something so that I wouldn't have to play with those hideous monsters. Personally I don't think that Pokabu's final stage is that bad but the second one is just too much for me. WHY DIDN*T GAMEFREAK LISTEN TO US?! We didn't want another fire starter to be secondary Fighting-type but NO! Sugimori along with his idiotic friends didn't listen and destroyd perhaps the most cutest and freshest starters we've seen so far. So most likely I will be stick with Tsutarja which I btw hated the most at first. I had this huge crush on Pokabu as I always have for those fire starters ( I JUST LUV CYNDAQUIL!!!!!1) but then I saw how cool Mijumaru was and I was all like "I will break the cycle and start with the water starter for the first time in this very new region" and then they revealed those hopefully faked second stage evolutions and my love towards Mijumaru died instantly. So if they truly really truly are real I'll stay with Tsutarja because atleast it looks somewhat not that absurd and ugly. Well not anymore.

Years
    I usually go with Fire types but Now since I'm Getting Pokemon White, Zekrom can be my electric type Pokemon xD so I go with Mijumaru since its a Good looking starter...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I always - ALWAYS - use the fire-type starter, including Infernape even though I don't like him. I'm beginning to get a bit sick of Fire/Fighting though. I always buy both games, play through the first with all three starters and play through the second with random wild Pokemon. I'm beginning to think I'll prefer my second playthrough.

Marks out of 10 for all the starters' evos proven so far:

Tsutaja: doesn't do much for me. 5/10
    Pokabu: I adore him. Best fire-type starter since Cyndaquil. Massive potential for an awesome final evo. 9/10
    Mijumaru: heh. Cute and retarded. Big potential. Like. 7/10

Tsutaja's first evo: better than Tsutaja. Quite like. 7/10
    Pokabu's first evo: ARGH. WHY. I genuinely dislike this thing. 2/10
    Mijumaru's first evo: Awesome. Now my favourite starter. 8/10

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016

I'm not (well hoping not) saying Fire/Fighting is a bad type, I'm just getting a bit bored with it being repeated every Gen. I'm all for new type combinations (like the Electric/Bug we are getting), but wouldn't like to see the same combinations every generation is what I'm trying to say, I guess.

Years
    Fire/Fighting again. Well, Pokabu's off my list. And with so many Water Pokemon out there I'll just choose Tsutaaja.

But seriously why that combo again? It's retarded and just plain boring. I'll pick Infernape over Pokabu's last evolution any day.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I have made up my mind on who I will pick. It took alot of thought, I have been thinking since the release of the starters, but I know who I will be picking..

The Starter Discussion Thread

Oh yes, Mijumaru.

This thing, just for some reason, stood out from the rest. Not because of it's claimed "Uglyness" but it just, fit for me, it just felt right over the other two, thus why, Mijumaru will be my starter!

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
    Fire and Fighting. Again. I'm so annoyed. :@
    Of all the secondary types to use... even Fire/Normal would be better.

I now hate Pokabu.
    I now love Mijumaru. I still love Tsujaru. Their evos are pretty rockin'.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
    Marks out of 10 for all the starters' evos proven so far:

Tsutaja: doesn't do much for me. 5/10
    Pokabu: I adore him. Best fire-type starter since Cyndaquil. Massive potential for an awesome final evo. 9/10
    Mijumaru: heh. Cute and retarded. Big potential. Like. 7/10

Tsutaja's first evo: better than Tsutaja. Quite like. 7/10
    Pokabu's first evo: ARGH. WHY. I genuinely dislike this thing. 2/10
    Mijumaru's first evo: Awesome. Now my favourite starter. 8/10
    :D ill do the same

Tsutaja: The coolest of the starters +its a snake :D looks like it could evolve into something awsome so 8/10
    Pokabu: Ugh nothing special, although its cutness is increased by the fact it is a pig so 6/10
    Mijumaru: Ugliest starter, sea otter is an interesting species and it has a shell that it uses as a blade, pretty cool so 7/10

Tsuta 1st evo: Didnt turn out to be what I was expecting :( but it is still cool so 8/10
    Pokabu 1st evo: It looks cute, and energetic, a lil bomb it is much more interesting then pokabu so 8/10
    Mijus 1st evo: Erm its coloring is really really odd so 6/10 just because of colors, other is great especially the 2 shell blades.

Tsuta final evo: Nothing as i wanted tsutajas final evo to be, it failed as a snake, itself is a good pokemon but i feel dissapointed so 7/10
    POkabu final evo: Erm every1 says its ugly, i dont find it ugly but it is kinda boring, and especially his type, but i like the flames coming out of his nose and the ornaments on his belly so 6/10
    Mijus final evo: It is equall with tsutajas final evo in looks, changes a lot from mijumaru, so it is a good thing thats why i give him a 9/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back