• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Gasp! The fifth gen starters look so different from the ones before....0.0

The Starter Discussion Thread

Mijumaru is absolutely adorable. (I saw tons of fanart of it on deviantart earlier and had to favorite a lot of them. The sea otter is so sweet!) All the fifth gen starters are cute. =3 (especially, Mijumaru.)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Gasp! The fifth gen starters look so different from the ones before....0.0

That's because you're comparing B/W sprites to HGSS sprites. Because of the new animations, they're built differently. I guarantee they won't stand out as much once we have B/W sprites for the other twelve. ;D

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Seriously after looking at the 3 again and again I've no dislike against any of them now, though Tsutaja is still my choice. :)

Years
  • My boyfriend isn't really liking Pokabu and loves Mijumaru and Tsutaja but I feel the other way around. My favorite is definately Mijumaru and Pokabu. I'm not really impressed with Tsutaja as a snake starter. It looks too much like Treeko.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I really only liked Tsujata from the start, partially because it's the smug one, ya know? But... the other two have grown on me. I really like Pokabu's sprite because it's pretty damn cute, and Mijumaru... while still awkward, is making a better impression after seeing it in battle. I dunno what I'll pick, now. 0:

Redrup

The Gentleman
    Years
  • Tsutaaja without a doubt is the one I will be choosing. I've decided early so I don't start changing my mind when evolution concepts begin springing up more frequently.

So far, I chose Water in Generation I, Fire in Generation II, Leaf in Generation III and I went with Fire again in Generation IV. So by that logic, I had to pick from leaf or water this time around.
    Tsutaaja it is. :)

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • To be honest, I think the water and fire starters look stupid. :|

The green snake/lizard (lol) guy looks awesome though. Depending on what his full evo looks like, I think I will name him Trogdor!!!!!!!!!! :D

Redrup

The Gentleman
    Years
  • I agree that the fire starter looks a bit ridiculous. The water starter however seems to be so similar to Piplup that I'm questioning how much time they actually put into the design.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Out the three I'd say Tsutaaja is the best looking one. I like Pokabu as well, due to it being a fire type, but Tsutaaja takes the cake. I will be starting of with my Bacon because fire types are my favorite and I have a tradition to continue ;).

Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Sheimi-Shaymin of serebii.

For the confused minds, this is a fan art and an awesome one at that. As you can see, the grass starter already grew on me.

Oh...my...god. If Tsutaaja actually turns out to be the awesomeness in this fan art me and Pokabu are over. No, wait what am I saying. I bet Pokabus evo stages are just as awesome as this fan arts. I'm just so anxious to see all there evo stages. I just hope Pokabu isn't a kung fu pig >.<.

Redrup

The Gentleman
    Years
  • I think Game Freak would do well to take note of that particular fan art.

It really is very well designed. It doesn't steer too far from the base Pokémon, yet grows into something awesome.

Of course, if something like that turned out to be Tsutaaja's evolution chain, then it'd definitely end up dual-type Grass/Dragon.

Years
  • That Tsutaaja fanart... it's not going to look that that and I wouldn't want it to. I want them to evolve into something that looks different, not just a bigger version with a few things tacked on.

I wanted the grass starter to be my favorite, but I can't say it is. Pokabu and Mijumaru are tied in my mind for how cute they are and how much fun I think I'd have. I didn't care for Mijumaru when I first saw it because I didn't know what it was, but since finding out it's an otter I'm seeing it as such and I like it a lot more.

Redrup

The Gentleman
    Years
  • That Tsutaaja fanart... it's not going to look that that and I wouldn't want it to. I want them to evolve into something that looks different, not just a bigger version with a few things tacked on.

I'm actually the complete opposite to you in respect to evolution chains then.

My favourite evolved forms are those where they have expanded upon the original versions, but not steered in a completely different direction.

Arcanine and Houndoom spring to mind. Very similar to their base forms, yet two of my favourites.

Scyther > Scizor, for example, is something I was not fond of at the time.

AvianAzure

The Azurean Knight
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2010
    Pokabu won me with his cuteness. And even more since his name is derived from 'buta' and I'm a Gurren Lagann fan boy (Boota the pig mole being the reference here).

Tsutarja has the aura of "i'm better then you and i know it" about him that somewhat turns me off.

Mijumaru at first i thought was horrendously ugly. But he's grown on me and he's cute. xD Still my least favorite of the three though sadly

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I agree that the fire starter looks a bit ridiculous. The water starter however seems to be so similar to Piplup that I'm questioning how much time they actually put into the design.

True.
    When it first came out, I was eh, a pig? No thanks.
    And water one seems to be a clown to me.

I've always loved Tsutaja right from the start - And still is my most favourite.

But now it's Grass > Water > Fire.

Azary3172

My Favorites Pokemon Games
    Years
  • For me is doesn't matter which one choose just likes previous version of Pokemon. At very important is battle the GYM 1 which always rock type at all regions except Johto which you will battle the GYM at flying type.

Years
  • Tsataaja looks the best, but I must see the their evos before I can make a decision. Because really, the final evo is the one that sticks with you the most, since it evolves at level 30-36 and has the same form all the way up to level 100.
    I usually pick the starter that can hit fast and hard, but I might do it a bit differently with B/W since I'm getting tired of this routine...

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • Tsutaaja - Cool. Nonchalant. Reminds me of Treecko. Definitely picking this one. Liked Treecko a lot. /points to original name

Pokabu - I can see this evolving into something fierce, but it looks kinda silly to me.

Mijumaru - Dx

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Hell yeah. Lets get this on hand.
    Tsutaaja: The only one who attracted me on the first sight. <3
    Pokabu: If it's evolving into a Steel-Clad Pigman, then awesomeness is knocking on your door
    Mijumaru: Don't really like it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back