• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Chinese dragon? Its does have hands and feet, in contrast to a snake.

Not to mention in the Chinese's mythology, Snake from 12th Zodiac was said to be a Dragon before he turned into a snake to join in the fray, so, it's possible.

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
Years
Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Sheimi-Shaymin of serebii.

For the confused minds, this is a fan art and an awesome one at that. As you can see, the grass starter already grew on me.
28512142793354893415506.jpg

I would use that.

The fire pig looks terrible. Same with the blue teddy bear. What ever happened to teeth and claws? Charmander, Totodile, hell even Squirtle looked tougher than these things. At least the grass one looks like it has some attitude.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
Years
i like tsutaaja and pokabu. i will probs choose pokabu as i hav always chosen the fire type in my first running, but if the final evo is some fat ugly pig, then tsutaaja.

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
Years
tsutaja.png

3 CHEERS FOR TSUTAAJA!

mijumaru.png

2 CHEERS FOR MIJUMARU!

pokabu.png

1 CHEER FOR POKABU!

As, Tsutaaja gets 3 cheers I might choose him, but Mijumaru also has chances!
But Pokabu, I'm sorry.....

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I love the water starter so much. <3 I really do not understand why everyone is giving it so much flak, I think it's the best water starter since Johto. Overall, though, I think that the whole starter choice is one of the best that Gamefreak has ever presented us with; it definitely matches up to Kanto an Johto for me.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
Insert random filler here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
I always pick the one that has the coolest threevolution. Which may very well be the grass snake.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
This will be hard for me, because I love all Pokemon, but I wanted to pick Mijumaru because it was not getting any respect, everyone hated on it, that's why it is frowning :< So, now I realize that people are going to be picking him, so that sort of changed directions! I may pick Pokabu, seeing as he's a so-so, some people seem to not want him, and some do seem to want him, so I will either go with Pokabu, or Mijumaru.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
Years
*Sigh* I think I'm the only one that hates all three starters :( I'm not usually a hater, I LOVE all Pokemon... up until now. Am I crazy? I'm not sure, maybe give me a little longer looking at them and I might come around. I'll have to see their evolutions first before I make the decision on whether I like them or not. I just feel these three look more like Fakemon to me :|
Anyway, If I HAD to pick a favourite it'd maybe be the grass type one. But only because I had a look at that fan art that someone posted earlier and the evolutions looked cool. It'd be great if the actual designs looked even remotely like those.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
They all look weird. Although Pokabu seems somewhat appealing.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
These starters have certainly grown on me :) At first i was like, "Meh..." but what I like about them is how creative they are. I'm glad GameFreak isn't just tweaking animals slightly and calling it a pokemon (Dewgong... *cough*).

I'm gonna pick Pokabu. It just seems to be the most comical of the three, and I like fire types too :3

Weird

Lazy Guy
Years
Tsutaaja is my favourite, because It reminds me of treecko. But POKABU has a good design, too. I loved the water starters in each game, but MIJUMARU is kind of ugly. Hopefully he'll get a cool evolution. In the end i'll use all of them in my first playthrough.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2011
Ok, first off I am so disappointed in the starters designs. They all suck in my opinion, but until I see the whole line I cannot make any final decisions.

I could see a huge grass Cobra for Tsutaaja, a sort of bristled warthog for Pokabu, and for Mijumaru I don't have a design in mind.

In order of likes by looks, I like Tsutaaja, Pokabu, then Mijumaru.

Nemaru

nah
Years
I think that I speak for a good amount of Pokemon fans when I say that disappointment is a mutual feeling among us. They could've done much much better, imo. I think they just rushed to get them out there because B/W is coming out later this year and whatnot.

But, seeing as there's no changing them now, we have to live with them. To be honest, I don't hate them, at least not as much as I did a few days ago. They sorta grew on me. Mijumaru is extremely cute, even if it does look like a Bidoof dressed in a snow-cone costume. I like Pokabu the least, it's like a Turtwig/Spoink demon child. Tsutaaja I think is my favorite, just a little more then Mijumaru. It just looks pretty damn epic.

But, these are also just the first evolutions. Piplup, a cute, harmless penguin baby turned into a bad*ss steel Emperor Penguin machine monster thingy. Charmander, an innocent, adorable Salamander turns into a fricken' Fire-Breathing Dragon, Charizard. See where I'm going? There is hope that these somewhat fail starters turn into amazing Pokemon.

juanhbk1

Somewhere in the Middle?
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2016
Mijumaru_Evolution_Chain_by_TheKoopaDasher.png
Pokabu_Evolution_Line_by_PashaPup.jpg
Tsutaja_Evolution_Line_by_PashaPup.jpg

EPIC WIN! EPIC WIN! JIZZ IN MY PANTS!

Theories_on_Pokabu_by_BrokenTeapot.jpg

Last edited:

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
I find all three almost equally adorable, actually. Even so, the grass one is my favourite, it simply looks so... smug and confident, compared to the others. Here's to picking the grass one this generation as well!

Last edited:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I gonna start with Tsutaaja! To me it looks like the best starter... the water one looks like a clown. I don't mind the fire one that much... but I wouldn't pick it because im sure I would feel guilty of eatin bacon n' sausages before turnin on meh DS and training meh pokebu!

My judgement may change if I think the evolutions are any good ;)

Mijumaru_Evolution_Chain_by_TheKoopaDasher.png
Pokabu_Evolution_Line_by_PashaPup.jpg
Tsutaja_Evolution_Line_by_PashaPup.jpg

EPIC WIN! EPIC WIN! JIZZ IN MY PANTS!

Theories_on_Pokabu_by_BrokenTeapot.jpg
Lol at the HAM!
I like the evolutions but what happened to Tsutaajas arms and legs? And I think the water one looks a little like mewtwo (well its bottom end) and I like pokebus second evo but I don't really like the 3rd evo...

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
They aren't that good, but they are miles away from Sinnoh's.

Sinnoh had the worst starters, IMO

I really can't choose. I like Tsutaaja because it isn't as sluggish looking as the previous grass starters except, treecko. Pokabu is rather original, I mean the fire starters alway had low defenses, this one looks lot sturdier compared to the ones of the previous generations. I really didn't like Mijamaru when I first saw him, but he seems kinda cute.

I think it'd be best to wait till the final evolutions have been revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back