• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I find all three almost equally adorable, actually. Even so, the grass one is my favourite, it simply looks so... smug and confident, compared to the others. Here's to picking the grass one this generation as well!
    I think that's one of the main reasons I like Tsutaaja so much. I think most of the other people are getting that impression as well. In most of the fanart I've seen, it's usually looking on from the rest of the Pokémon included as though it's superior to them. I think the last Pokémon that truly expressed superiority in anything was Charizard. I could be wrong, but... meh. It's interesting to see a Pokémon that genuinely looks as though it thinks it's better than anything. Granted it's just fan art, Tsutaaja just gives me a royal-like feeling. Especially with that cape-like collar behind it's neck.

I think the reason it's name is based on a snake isn't because of the fact that it looks like a snake (I personally don't see the resemblance) but because it's personality was meant to be like a snake. Even though all Pokémon, regardless if they're the same as one another, have different personalities, that's just my take on the name.

I'm really hoping that it becomes grass/dragon, though, like this fanart represents... or even grass/flying. That would really be an interesting type mix. Even though it would be able to be destroyed by any ice-type move, it's something different and something that's commonly not thought of when it comes to possible type combination.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • It really is going to depend on the final evolution for me, although I definitely hope the Grass starter will turn into a Dragon-like Pokemon (It doesn't necessarily need to be a Dragon type, it could be part Flying, like Charizard). The Fire starter is obviously going to turn into a bigger pig, I can't think of anything else that would make sense. I think it would be cool if the Water Starter turns into a polar bear. If it did I might decide to choose it.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • The Starter Discussion Thread
    Oh my god I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Thank you for posting that. hahahaha.

It really is going to depend on the final evolution for me, although I definitely hope the Grass starter will turn into a Dragon-like Pokemon (It doesn't necessarily need to be a Dragon type, it could be part Flying, like Charizard). The Fire starter is obviously going to turn into a bigger pig, I can't think of anything else that would make sense. I think it would be cool if the Water Starter turns into a polar bear. If it did I might decide to choose it.
    I'm going to pick based on the final evolution as well. And yeah, it does feel like Tsutaaja will go dragon, or perhaps dinosaur (as digi-kun and I speculate). No idea what the water-type will evolve into, but I'm hoping it evolves into something amazing, just to shut up all the people. XD Magikarp 2.0 as I've said.

NatureKeeper

Tsutaaja is my favorite, since, well, I hate that otter-like creature, and a flame pig? Like, eww!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Oh my god I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Thank you for posting that. hahahaha.

I'm going to pick based on the final evolution as well. And yeah, it does feel like Tsutaaja will go dragon, or perhaps dinosaur (as digi-kun and I speculate). No idea what the water-type will evolve into, but I'm hoping it evolves into something amazing, just to shut up all the people. XD Magikarp 2.0 as I've said.
    Based on the colors, I think that Pokabu is going to become a Fire and Ground type come evolution time. Mijamaru seems to be something that could very well become Water and Rock, Water and Ice, or just simply Water alone. But since something that the basic starters seem to do often is become dual types, I think it'll be very unlikely that it'll remain just water. But I don't see why everyone thinks that it'll be weak alone. Based on what I've seen in the battle video, it seems to have a strong special attack. Then again, it was fighting Pokabu at an even level...

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I've made my descision, I looked at Tsutaaja and realized that this was the guy I was going to pick before the starters where even revealed. At first I thought he was a Grass Duck. I saw him the day they were released and I liked him, but then I figured out everyone was going to pick him, so I decided to go for Mijumaru, But now I notice that Pokemon aren't about how popular they are, Pokemon is about the ones you like, and if you like them, so be it, make them yours. That is the beauty of Pokemon, you can catch 'em all, or you can catch a few, but no matter what, it's what you are feeling that matters the most.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • I've made my descision, I looked at Tsutaaja and realized that this was the guy I was going to pick before the starters where even revealed. At first I thought he was a Grass Duck. I saw him the day they were released and I liked him, but then I figured out everyone was going to pick him, so I decided to go for Mijumaru, But now I notice that Pokemon aren't about how popular they are, Pokemon is about the ones you like, and if you like them, so be it, make them yours. That is the beauty of Pokemon, you can catch 'em all, or you can catch a few, but no matter what, it's what you are feeling that matters the most.

Poetry in motion. You are my favourite person of the day :D

That's why I'm picking Pokabu.

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • If I were to play this game (which I probably won't because I don't have a DS), I would finally pick the grass Pokemon Tsutaaja. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the first generation grass types: Bulbasaur and Chikorita, but I always liked the other starters more than them. The third and fourth generation: Treecko and Turtwig did not appeal to me at all, however.

When I first saw these fifth generation starters, I was honestly appalled. The grass Pokemon looked like a Treecko/Cyndaquil rip-off, the fire Pokemon looked like an overly perky pig made with rejected stuffed animal parts, and the water Pokemon looked deprived, but I've started taken a liking to the grass one more now. I just hope it evolves into some evil looking serpent or something. I would be satisfied with that.

Angelroid

Sun X
    Years
  • I think my starter is going to be Pokabu.

But, I like all the starters. So, It's hard to pick one. :surprised:

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    The Starter Discussion Thread

Well The water one's second form is cool
    I am not liking the 3rd one.
    Pokabu's Forms are Full of Awesomeness.
    None of Grass ones are That Great.

Ayselipera

So far Tsutaaja stands out the most to me. It is a little Treecko like, but I loved Treecko so I'm hoping I'll end up loving Tsutaaja too. Recently though Mijumaru has also been growing on me. Something about it is so cute and endearing. Plus I have a feeling it might evolve into a pretty good Pokemon.

I'm sad to say that once again I'm not too fond of the fire starter. I was hoping after the disappointment that was Chimchar the new fire starter would bring back my old memories of what fire starters used to be. So far Pokabu hasn't done that for me yet, but I'm not throwing it to the curb so suddenly. We've only just seen the starters and I have high hopes that their final evolutions will make up for their basic form.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    *Is speachless* Theese pokemon *dramtic pause* look gay.
    I don't understand how a Pokemon can look "gay". They can look foolish, or strange, but not "Gay" because that is not really a way to describe something, but I think they all look great. Also, what about Tsutaaja, does anyone see a Snake? I can kind of, seeing as he has a sort of "S" shape, but the fact that he has arms and feet, is kind of not snake-like, but I read somewhere that snake's do have small feet that help them push themselves forward.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Tsutaaja for the win! It reminds me of my hoenn days. I hope it turns into a grass/dragon type, or it could just be a grass type with some dragon characteristics.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I like all three of them, but I especially like the fire pig the most. Just seems so cute, and I'm usually a water type person.

I'll just have to wait for their final evolution before making a final decision.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I actually don't want tsutaaja to become a dragon-type. There are enough dragon-types with a 4x weakness to ice as it is, plus neutralizing his fire weakness seems too unconventional for a starter. oh right, Empoleon did it before. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back