• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Strange Souvenir...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
Years
  • For those of you who don't know, there is a Backpacker that appears in a random hotel in Kalos every day. If you speak to him every day, for four days, he will give you an item called the Strange Souvenir. The item's description is as follows:

"An ornament depicting a Pokemon that is venerated as a protector in some region far from Kalos."

As of now, no one has made any progress in determining the item's purpose.

This topic is for speculative discussion as to what the item's use might be and whether or not this is evidence that what we have seen of Gen 6 so far is only a small portion.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2013
    The general consensus seems to be that this item (since the hiker said he's from none of the other five regions) is to do with another new region that is coded in the game but will be unlocked later on. Honestly, I think it's a hint that confirms that there will be a Gen 7. Or that it's a weird kind of megastone for another legendary which will be given out (it's a huge stretch). But that's just me. I've never gotten this item, though. Too lazy.

It's also apparently not of any monetary worth since the PokeMart gives you only $5 for it.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
    Years
  • It's also apparently not of any monetary worth since the PokeMart gives you only $5 for it.

That might be to discourage people from selling it, as they won't get anything for it.

There very well could be extra regions in this game. We've got that empty train station in Couriway (I believe) which could take you to somewhere to the east, such as a Germany or Luxembourg or something. Or better yet, as it looks like an Easter Island head, maybe it takes you to a small set of islands based on that area. We'll just have to wait, I'm sure GameFreak won't reveal it less than a week after launch :(

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • The item can be discarded, but not given to a Pokemon, which leads me to believe that it unlocks an entirely optional feature within the game, or is simply present as a nod in the direction of a new region being developed.

My issue with it is the fact that it isn't presented to you by a major NPC and is completely optional to obtain. If it were a Key Item, then it'd make more sense that we would be getting some sort of an extension to X/Y and we're simply waiting for a downloadable event to trigger it.

I doubt it is affiliated with any currently known Pokemon as the item itself is supposed to be a representation of a Pokemon from this faraway region. It may be a Legendary, since the souvenir's description says that the Pokemon is the protector of the region.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have seen a small picture of it from Serebii and it looks like Mewtwo which does not make any sense.

It is said there is a very large secrete in the game. GF told, I think IGN, to take something down in a review because it was a very large secrete. Whatever this secrete is, may also be linked to that guy and that cup like thing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    I think the item is associated with a new side game. The backpacker told you that he is from a region not an island or anything. I hopefully think its a new ranger game event like Manaphy or a new Colosseum game or Pokemon Z will take you to another region.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2014
    The item can be discarded, but not given to a Pokemon, which leads me to believe that it unlocks an entirely optional feature within the game, or is simply present as a nod in the direction of a new region being developed.

My issue with it is the fact that it isn't presented to you by a major NPC and is completely optional to obtain. If it were a Key Item, then it'd make more sense that we would be getting some sort of an extension to X/Y and we're simply waiting for a downloadable event to trigger it.

I doubt it is affiliated with any currently known Pokemon as the item itself is supposed to be a representation of a Pokemon from this faraway region. It may be a Legendary, since the souvenir's description says that the Pokemon is the protector of the region.

you can give the souvenir to a pokemon and also 3 people refer to getting it, a lady in the hobby saying she spoke to somebody a couple of times and they gave her an item (the strange souvenir) and a maid who says it would be bad/rude to sell or throw it away, so clearly they dont want you to throw it away but maybe they didnt want to make it a key item and make it seem like a really big deal and the third is the guy that gives you it after speaking to him once 4 days in a row

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Maybe it's to hint us that there may be a new region in their third installment? Either that, or the region could already be in the games, just waiting to be unlocked by some sort of a downloadable content? Most new Pokémon games have a few areas that we don't get to know about until two - three months after their release (R/S/E had Faraway Island and Navel Rock, FR/LG had Birth Island, D/P/PT had access to Newmoon Island, etc. etc., but none of us had any idea of their existence until they were officially announced), so X and Y should be no different. If there is indeed a different region in these games, then I'm expecting it to be much, much smaller than Kalos—sort of like the size of Sevii Islands from FireRed and LeafGreen. If the region was big, then I'm quite sure that Nintendo would've made a huge deal out of it instead of just keeping it a secret. d:

Last edited:

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I have seen a small picture of it from Serebii and it looks like Mewtwo which does not make any sense.

It is said there is a very large secrete in the game. GF told, I think IGN, to take something down in a review because it was a very large secrete. Whatever this secrete is, may also be linked to that guy and that cup like thing.

If you actually look at it closely it looks nothing like mewtwo.
    Who's to say this gen won't have to sets of region Kalos and one in a new set of games. Since nobody has cracked the code we don't know what's in the data. We could have code for 70 more new pokemon and not know . So instead of being a third game or sequels which has been done, maybe they decided to split this gen in two seperate sets of games.

Or maybe generations won't be the usual 4 years anymore
    Heck since 2009 we have had a new pokemon game every year, so maybe a new gen isn't that far off

Maybe it's to hint us that there may be a new region in their third installment? Either that, or the region could already be in the games, just waiting to be unlocked by some sort of a downloadable content? Most new Pokémon games have a few areas that we don't get to know about until two - three months after their release (R/S/E had Faraway Island and Navel Rock, FR/LG had Birth Island, D/P/PT had access to Newmoon Island, etc. etc., but none of us had any idea of their existence until they were officially announced), so X and Y should be no different. If there is indeed a different region in these games, then I'm expecting it to be much, much smaller than Kalos—sort of like the size of Sevii Islands from FireRed and LeafGreen. If the region was big, then I'm quite sure that Nintendo would've made a huge deal out of it instead of just keeping it a secret. d:

Well idk about that , keeping it a secret until later then making a big deal about it kinda works.
    1) they don't really have to do anything it's already in the game

2) this will increase sales

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    you can give the souvenir to a pokemon and also 3 people refer to getting it, a lady in the hobby saying she spoke to somebody a couple of times and they gave her an item (the strange souvenir) and a maid who says it would be bad/rude to sell or throw it away, so clearly they dont want you to throw it away but maybe they didnt want to make it a key item and make it seem like a really big deal and the third is the guy that gives you it after speaking to him once 4 days in a row

That Maid gives you Destiny Knot that was given to her by another guest that was in their hotel. She gave it to you because she thought it was inappropriate to sell a gift.

As for new Region, that isn't likely. Matsuda said that they were not doing more than one region in the same game anymore. If there is a new area, it won't be a new region, but part of Kalos which doesn't fit in with the item's description.

This item reminds me of the Lock Capsule that was distributed in Japan, and no where else. The Lock Capsule was introduced in the late Gen 4 games and had absolutley no use in those games. It was just a uselessly coded item that existed. Those that got it were able to transfer it to a 5th Gen game and unlock in to get the TM for Snarl.

This Souvenir could be similar. We may have to transfer it forward to unlock a special legendary Pokemon in the next game or have to wait for a special item to be distributed that unlocks some small island that won't appear on our maps, that houses a Legendary Pokemon that is unleashed with the help of that item.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Well I'm sure they've already started work on the gen 7 games, at least to some extent. Maybe this is an Easter egg for one of the new pokemon they've recently designed.

The statue looks creepy though, it's hard to imagine it protecting anything. It looks like a cross between a moai head and a goblin.

It's definitely peculiar though...and suspicious. It's exciting to think about this mystery.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I personally rather doubt there's a new region in this game. (That's a lot to put in a one game already with a bunch of stuff in it, plus 3D models!). More likely, this item is to be traded off to a game released down the track, or will be used for an in-game event activated via wifi or the sort.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    That Maid gives you Destiny Knot that was given to her by another guest that was in their hotel. She gave it to you because she thought it was inappropriate to sell a gift.

As for new Region, that isn't likely. Matsuda said that they were not doing more than one region in the same game anymore. If there is a new area, it won't be a new region, but part of Kalos which doesn't fit in with the item's description.

This item reminds me of the Lock Capsule that was distributed in Japan, and no where else. The Lock Capsule was introduced in the late Gen 4 games and had absolutley no use in those games. It was just a uselessly coded item that existed. Those that got it were able to transfer it to a 5th Gen game and unlock in to get the TM for Snarl.

This Souvenir could be similar. We may have to transfer it forward to unlock a special legendary Pokemon in the next game or have to wait for a special item to be distributed that unlocks some small island that won't appear on our maps, that houses a Legendary Pokemon that is unleashed with the help of that item.

I guess it would have to be like a lock capsule since to my understanding you can have held items in pokemon bank

I personally rather doubt there's a new region in this game. (That's a lot to put in a one game already with a bunch of stuff in it, plus 3D models!). More likely, this item is to be traded off to a game released down the track, or will be used for an in-game event activated via wifi or the sort.

Nope. The 3ds cartridge holds 4 gigs of data, XY takes up 1.7
    So we still have 2.3 GB left. So if they wanted to they technically could fit another game of the same size and still have 600 mb left over, and that 600 mb is still 88 mb more than BW2

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Nope. The 3ds cartridge holds 4 gigs of data, XY takes up 1.7
    So we still have 2.3 GB left. So if they wanted to they technically could fit another game of the same size and still have 600 mb left over, and that 600 mb is still 88 mb more than BW2
    My point was less about memory space, and more about the effort to put it in, rather than just simply save it for a new game. Why code in, and create all the graphics, areas, routes, trainers, NPCs, etc, a whle region that's not even available from the start in the same game, one which goes beyond level 70 in the typical playthrough already, particularly a brand new region, when they could save it for another game instead?

Furthermore, it seems evident that there are issues already with the amount of content anyway. Many people complain about frame rate drops in the 3D battles, and the lack of 3D in Horde battles too. It seems they didn't have that much time putting in everything they did as it was - I really doubt they had spent a lot of time putting in unused content to be merely unlocked later, when they could do it in another game. That's pretty much the 'business model' Game Freak have used, after all. Only game with two regions was GSC/HGSS (the latter remakes), and that was Kanto. Johto being smaller than other regions as well, and certainly in the former Kanto significantly smaller.... and notably, available without DLC.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    My point was less about memory space, and more about the effort to put it in, rather than just simply save it for a new game. Why code in, and create all the graphics, areas, routes, trainers, NPCs, etc, a whle region that's not even available from the start in the same game, one which goes beyond level 70 in the typical playthrough already, particularly a brand new region, when they could save it for another game instead?

Furthermore, it seems evident that there are issues already with the amount of content anyway. Many people complain about frame rate drops in the 3D battles, and the lack of 3D in Horde battles too. It seems they didn't have that much time putting in everything they did as it was - I really doubt they had spent a lot of time putting in unused content to be merely unlocked later, when they could do it in another game. That's pretty much the 'business model' Game Freak have used, after all. Only game with two regions was GSC/HGSS (the latter remakes), and that was Kanto. Johto being smaller than other regions as well, and certainly in the former Kanto significantly smaller.... and notably, available without DLC.

I agree with some things, but why put the effort? Because it's pokemon that's why.

Also the frame rate ? It's somewhat noticeable but doesn't take away anything . I doubt we are gonna go back to RS frame rates , so we should get use to it

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I agree with some things, but why put the effort? Because it's pokemon that's why.

Also the frame rate ? It's somewhat noticeable but doesn't take away anything . I doubt we are gonna go back to RS frame rates , so we should get use to it
    Because they put in the effort with the stuff that's already in there that's easily enough to fill the game with things to do. =p Besides, again - they never have put in more than one new region in a gen, and that's because they don't need to. Look at it from the business viewpoint; every gen has had one new region. They make a new region, it goes in a new gen. And it's no easy matter to just put in a region either. Masuda and co took research trips in France for a few months, for instance, to get things right. It's not so much a matter of effort for a bonus region, but really just saving said effort for a later game which'd again sell millions of copies. What benefits are there for Game Freak to 'use up', if you will, a region now for some hidden access later, when they can make a whole extra game out of it and net more profits?

As for the frame rate comment, maybe it's not an issue for yourself (and frankly it hasn't bothered me too much either), but it's been a prominent complaint about the battles from what I've seen, as well as in gaming site reviews. But if they doubled the content external to said battles, there could well be a further impact on that frame rate, and they want battles to look nice (again, something they focused on going off developer interviews). And I for one embrace the amazing save times relative to older games, haha.

Basically, it just doesn't make sense for them to squeeze in another hidden region like this in this game, and there's no basis for them to have done that because of this item, when there are simpler and more feasible explanations that have occurred before (e.g. a certain Capsule item for last gen, or the various ingame event items for say Shaymin's Platinum event, unlocked by wifi. Here it could be wifi unlocking a use for the item, or the item being traded to another game in the future that has some usage).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I have seen a small picture of it from Serebii and it looks like Mewtwo which does not make any sense.

I remember hearing about that...wonder what it could be...maybe more Mega Stones? There seems to be less than expected...

Now on the Moai looking stone...maybe it's a region based on Chile as Easter island belongs to it...or maybe there's an event where we go to a mini region (think Sevii islands 1-3) where we can give this to a native there and they take us to the resting place of their guardian or something along those lines.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Maybe they put it in there just to mess with our heads
    Troll Freak >_<

I was just reading Team Rocket's page on Bulbapedia...and according to them the guy at the nugget bridge in HgSs never mentioned recreating his team in his homecountry in the originals...foreshadowing what was to come...aka Unova. Similarly in B2W2 they mentioned the Riches moved to a far away region during the time gap...only in XY do we learn they moved to Kalos. So this could be foreshadowing to the Gen VII region...interestingly the examples I gave were during the last game of their generation...so GF may either be starting their foreshadowing a little early...or something is up...maybe there's more new Pokemon in this generation along with a new region which will be revolutionary...or they do generation VII quickly...
    I hope it's the second...if not then the first...after all the anime did show Ho-oh at the start of the anime...maybe this thing will be the mascot of one of the Gen VII games like Ho-oh was 0_o...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Hey guys, I am back once again. That hiker everyone is talking about that says "You'll see it in due time" and the souviner, He changes what he says. Like the one on my game tonight, he says something similar to this

"Kalos is good and all, but you should see my region. Our Champion... I'll tell you... Ah nevermind. You'll see in due time."

Eather 6th gen isn't going to last long or something else is up. I don't know though. I still haven't gotten the Strange Souvenir and I have talked to the backpacker like 7 times now in a row. So I don't know why I have yet to get it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back