• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Unpopular Opinion

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
  • Took me a long time to do, but still my own opinion, I know that not every one will agree with me (just like I don't agree with every ones opinion, but I do respect them), but its just my opinion.... I'll just share some of them:

Pokemon in general:
    Spoiler:

Games:
    Spoiler:

TCG:
    Spoiler:

Anime & Manga:
    Spoiler:

Kept my post a bit organized
    Once I think of more I'll edit my post and add them - I enjoyed reading them all so far, and I can't wait to read more poster's opinions

Last edited:

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    . . . Intriguing. I think I've already made my mark as a gen V hater, so I'll leave that out.

- I dislike how some forums just end up getting spammed with opinions with no actual discussion.

- I think the "Top Legendary Trio" thing should really, REALLY drop the Dragon-type act. Gen IV was easy to look past, but then Gen V banged out more and now it is starting to appear as an ugly trend.

- A lot of the "Teams" are pretty lame. If some could ACCOMPLISH things a little more often (And be less filled with incompetent kooks), I think that would be better for the whole franchise.

- . . . Flesh bows are kind of creepy.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I think I can come up with a list almost as nit-gritty...

Battle-wise:

• "I hate IVs" is something I was planning on confessing, but it seems disliking them is actually common?
    • I wish abilities were changeable, and IVs improvable. I used to think Natures, too, but the idea of changing your pokemon's personality seems unrealistic.
    • I wish competitive clauses could be integrated in-game, especially Sleep Clause.
    • I actually like Item Clause. I like being forced to think of creative combinations (such as Big Root + Subseed, Shell Bell and Sitrus as alternative healing) is funner than slapping Leftovers on all your defensive pokemon.
    • I think items need to be improved.
    • I think Stealth Rock needs a huge nerf, and I'm NOT some charizard/etc fanboy.
    • I think auto-weather on Politoed/Ttar/etc need an even huger nerf. I'll dislike Gen 6 competitive if it's still weather-centric.
    • I did not believe Wynaut or Mew should have been classified as ubers in Generation IV. Mew's flexibility isn't that big of a deal when you consider that there's only 3-ish worthwhile sets it could run (same as Jirachi). And anyone who had trouble against Wynaut... fail.
    Gameplay-wise:

• I actually do not hate a majority of the Sinnoh evolutions. I do dislike that they were all rushed into a single generation, composed a large % of the Sinnoh dex, and were non-obtainable for those playing Diamond/Pearl (without dongling.)
    • I like that Generation V's dex was a fresh start, and I'm even gladder that Generation VI will not be a fresh start.
    • I believe that Firered/Leafgreen will be remade before Diamond/Pearl. Given the systems they were released for, and the dates they were released, there's a greater reason to see how Kanto would be on the newer 3D systems than D/P... which was already semi-3D.
    • Pokemon Amie is the biggest deal for me. I plan to play hours on that... I've already spent hours doing things like Amity Square, talking to my pokemon in HGSS, and feeding my pokemon poffins despite not doing contests.
    • I think Pokemon games are becoming too easy, especially with Black/White.
    • I hate how many legendaries they're releasing. I think 8, or around 5% of the dex, is a fair number. A trio, 3 cover legends, a secret cutey (Mew, Celebi), and a secret tough guy (Darkrai, Genesect)
    • I do not dislike any generations.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
    Years
    • I actually really don't like Gen V, as I never got used to it and I really just think that the pokemon are boring.
    • I realllly don't like the idea of introducing a fairy type into the game. The game is balanced as is, so I really think adding another type will just ruin it. Especially a fairy type. I mean c'mon, that just sounds like a pussy type.
    • I actually like it when the gym leaders and elite four are easy. When it's too hard to handle I just get really mad.
    • EVs suck
    • I hate Gyarados because I could never get him in the games as a kid. I was to impatient to wait till level 20 with that damn karp.
    • I haaaaaaaaaaaaate GTS because my goddamn wifi wasn't the "right kind of wifi." Although one of my friends did, so I took advantage of that, but still. It made me mad that all the pokemon I wanted were at my fingertips but obstructed by the wrong wifi.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    A bunch of opinions that might be unpopular, or might just be drowned out by the noise from the people who hold the opposing opinions:

1. I like all the gens.
    2. I like the water in Hoenn.
    3. I like the snow in Sinnoh.
    4. I don't mind Fire/Fighting starters.
    5. I don't care how many legs Samurott has.
    6. I like Grass types.
    7. I don't mind 4x weaknesses if it's an otherwise good pokemon - I know when to switch.
    8. I think legendaries are cheap.
    9. I think using the same pokemon over and over is boring.
    10. I think that RNG abuse is cheating, but I don't care if someone else wants to do it.
    11. I think that the pokemon in newer gens fall in a range from good to bad, exactly like the pokemon in previous gens.
    12. I'm just sort of curious to see how Fairy type will work out. Beyond that, I don't care.

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    5. I don't care how many legs Samurott has.

The first thing that came into my mind -- "What?" I've never heard anyone dislike Samurott's appearance, let alone the number of legs he has.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Oh boy oh boy

Spoiler:

Years
  • I rarely pick the fire type starter, haven't done it since gen 2!

Didn't really like most of gen 5's music, kind of uninspired to me, lacking emotional touch I'd say.

I didn't really like the plot of gen 5. Most people thought it was good, but imo, it was still kind of cheesy. I never grew attached to any of the characters, thought there was wasted potential there. A lot of people praise N as a great character but I don't really get it...

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate gen 5, its plot and music are the only aspects of it that I was disappointed with actually.

Years
  • 1. I like all the gens.
    2. I like the water in Hoenn.
    3. I like the snow in Sinnoh.
    4. I don't mind Fire/Fighting starters.

I like you. I don't know you but I like you. I love Fire/Fighting, especially Blaziken. And Hoenn is my favourite region just because of the ocean routes. They were so fun!!!

Another one of my opinions
    Early Gen starters kinda sucked except Charizard and Blastoise all the Gen I and II starters were kinda lame.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • Yeah I don't like animes in general, I watched DBZ when I was 5 years old, Yu-Gi-Oh! for a bit when I was around 12 but that's it.
    I do wish Poison Pokés were better as I like Weezing and Muk. Also there is one thing that has been driving me crazy for ages (especially when I was a kid). The whole "trade to make it evolve".
    Why, why, WHY did I keep training Graveler, Haunter, Kadabra just to discover I couldn't keep them on my team later on?
    A 10-year-old kid should get prior warning about evolution trading IMO.

{D:} Do my eyes deceive me? There is another!!! Yeah, I agree with you: I hate anime in general. My tastes are more western.

My other unpopular opinion is that they should release a darker more mature Pokemon game with westernish badarse redesigns for the pokemon, and release it for consoles. I also think that they should give more depth to the stories and the combat system. Pokemon as a brand has been so stagnant these last couple years.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • * I feckin' hate Lucario, it's overdesigned.
    * I dislike all the Pokemon movies except the 3rd. The one with Rayquaza was okay though, if I recall correctly.
    * Shroomish isn't cute, it's ugly >:U

And that's about it xD

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • The first thing that came into my mind -- "What?" I've never heard anyone dislike Samurott's appearance, let alone the number of legs he has.
    Back when the final evolutions for the starters were released, I've witnessed many fans complaining in forums how they disliked that Oshawott and Dewott's evolution was drastic, such as becoming a quadruped. Even though I like Samurott on its own, I'll admit that I'm one who holds this "popular" view.

* I feckin' hate Lucario, it's overdesigned.
    * I dislike all the Pokemon movies except the 3rd. The one with Rayquaza was okay though, if I recall correctly.
    * Shroomish isn't cute, it's ugly >:U

And that's about it xD
    Pokemon the 3rd movie was actually my favorite. :) This reminds me of an unpopular view I could express...

*Whenever a movie comes out, a lot of pokemon fans who don't even watch the anime suddenly go to watch the movie. I was the opposite, since D/P anime, in which I'd watch the anime, but wouldn't care so much about watching the movies.

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    Well, since we're on the note of the animes, I never thought they were that great. They were about half-decent until the 3rd generation, from which I completely stopped watching what little I already did.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    - I really don't care for the legendaries at all... I always try to catch them, but I don't see the fun in playing with them.

- I'm really excited about the new Fairy-type; I think it's the perfect type to be super effective against dragon-type!

- I'm quite shallow in-game, I'll only use Pokémon that I think look "good".

- I always make sure my Pokémon are the same level, and I train them 5 levels at a time. (Right now my whole team is level 55)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I don't like the fact there is a huge focus on the after game. I would prefer a more in-depth story that made sense.

Event Pokémon are boring a lame - they should just be integrated into the game.

All legendary pokemon should have some sort of quest and/or story to go with their capture. If they are just sitting in caves then why doesn't half the population own one.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    All legendary pokemon should have some sort of quest and/or story to go with their capture. If they are just sitting in caves then why doesn't half the population own one.
    Agree with this so hard! I think even the roaming legendaries like Latios/Latias and the trio of Johto should have more story.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • • The love for Iris
    • The love for Cilan
    • The love for Skyla
    • The hate for "lack of uniqueness" for Generation V.
    • Dream World

Those are the ones that come to mind based on my own opinion.

Years
  • I think Oshawott is overrated.
    I don't like Lucario.
    DPPt had the best music out of all Pokemon series.
    I liked the water routes in Hoenn.
    I hate that Fairy types are strong against Dragon.

Toutebelle

Banned
    Years
  • Here are mine.

1. The GTS is a waste of time.
    2. Azurill is NOT cute. It sucks. (Most baby Pokemon are cute, but I hate this one. And WTF is with the crybaby face in the official artwork? Who wants to have a crybaby Pokemon?)
    3. I hate the excessive event-only legendaries.
    4. Silver (the character) is so overrated.
    5. Gen I actually has the least interesting characters. Out of all the Gym Leaders, I only liked Erika and Sabrina. Considering both were screwed over in adaptations (with Anime!Erika being a ***** and Manga!Sabrina being a villain), that isn't good. Though I do like Red.
    6. Pokemon Special is even worse than the anime. I find the earlier volumes to be too dark and sardonic. It got better after Gen II, but starting Gen V it got bad again. The B2W2 chapter was awful. I mean, it is very implausible for Nate (or Rakutsu - WTF?) to be part of the International Police (and to rank higher than Looker? Alert the Mary Sue Police!). Not to mention they made a lot of Gym Leaders and Elite Four members bad guys.
    7. Blue was VERY easy in HGSS.
    8. The anime really went downhill in BW. Iris is a mega-annoying little turd. Cilan is even MORE annoying. And Ash is regressing in intelligence? God help us all.

Reactions: T!M
    Back