• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The weirdest animal you've eaten?

Years
  • I've never really eaten anything unusual as far as animals go. Cows, chickens, pigs, turkeys. And fish one time. Fish was awful. I'm a vegetarian for a reason.

User19sq

I've had deer burgers. Either they weren't as good, were poorly prepared, or I'm simply a beef-burger guy.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ostrich in the form of a burger. Because there are apparently ostrich farms in my state. That was years ago, though, at the county fair for my county. I can't remember exactly what it tasted like, but I think it was somewhere between beef and turkey.

Other out of the ordinary animal-based foods I've had are venison (deer) and calamari.

Though venison is actually quite common where I am since we have a sizeable deer population.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Most unusual meat I've ever eaten was whale and shark. It was just tiny pieces of both, but I remember whale meat tasted like beef.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've eaten kangaroo, emu and crocodile meat before! I saw fried scorpions on a stick in China but I was too squeamish to try one. From what I remember, emu meat tasted vaguely like jerky (though maybe it was just emu jerky?) and I can't remember what the other two tasted like. I remember liking all of them though!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I've had gator and shark too (not just the fin but the meat too), and also rattlesnake and buffalo - I think those were the most unusual things I've eaten. It was up in Banff at The Grizzly House, which is a restaurant that specializes in all kinds of unusual meats.

As for the taste, I think there's a reason why beef and chicken are the most popular, they just can't be beat imo. I remember we got a little platter with a mix of all the weirder meats and also beef and chicken, and the latter still tasted the best.

Mid-level weird things I've eaten include ostrich, squab and frogs, and I say that because it's not that weird in asian culture to eat these things, but I've only had it maybe once or twice (except squab, I eat that all the time).

And honorable mention to Japanese cuisine - these are my favorite foods and it's not really unusual but depending on who I'm talking to, sometimes people find it disgusting/weird. Stuff like squid, raw fish, uni, geoduck, etc.
    How was it? There's a little cafe around here called Peaked Pies, and one of their pies is "the Hopper", which is "ground kangaroo in a cabernet merlot balsamic reduction", and I kinda want to try with my friends. :P

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    How was it? There's a little cafe around here called Peaked Pies, and one of their pies is "the Hopper", which is "ground kangaroo in a cabernet merlot balsamic reduction", and I kinda want to try with my friends. :P

That sounds very nice! Kangaroo meat was good - I can't say that it's better than beef/chicken but I'd say go for it. Its definitely something worth trying. 8)

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I thought Kangaroo meat was illegal until I saw Kangaroo burgers on sale at a Christmas market. I only had a bite but it tasted similar to beef

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • I once fractured my wrist and had to take some pills. On the bottle were those Latin scientific names for ingredients, and I easily dismissed them as some kinds of herb or mushroom.

Until one day, my room mate who wanted to major in biology looked up what those things were. Apparently, the pills were made from parts of scorpions, worms and other bugs :/

Years
  • I think the only non-traditional meat I've eaten (aside from bison, which I'm fairly certain is common-ish) is rabbit. Don't remember what it tasted like, but I didn't really care for it, and was even less of a fan when I found out what it was.

Years
  • I always have Swordfish on holiday and it's amazing, but I think snails are probably the weirdest animal I've had.

Sirfetch’d

I eat gator quite often as it's a very populous animal around here and hunters kill + sell the meat frequently. It's so good!

I've also had shark. I find it tasty, but it's not something I overly enjoyed.

Lastly I've eaten buffalo. It's pretty much beef, but slightly more dry IMO. It's very good though!

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I've also eaten goat, and kangaroo steak. That is very good meat when cooked properly. Kangaroo meat is very lean, healthier than beef.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Sea urchins, part tasty part vile. Definitely not an experience I'm looking to repeat.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've had an oyster and never again. I cannot for the life of me understand how somebody could pick it up, crack it open and think "this is food".

Back