• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The "WTF" Moment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    60+ hours of playing without a Shiny on Platinum. Almost 200 hours of playing on SoulSilver with 2 Shinies. 2 hours of playing on HeartGold and a Shiny Hoppip...

Also, my very first pokemon whom I've IV-bred and EV-trained without Pokérus was something I was proud of, as such, I always made sure he didn't get pokerus. Hundreds of hours I've played on Gold/Silver without ever encountering someone with Pokerus, never have I had Pokerus in 3rd gen.
    Guess who got Pokerus while training at Mt. Silver on SS? That's right: Scizor!

Maj. Cor

With love, grace and strength.
    Years
  • This was in the Safari Zone. I had just switched the Blocks in Rocky Beach to catch an Aron, and later, a Bagon. Being a sucker for Steel and Dragon types, I started to assume that the Rocky Beach Safari Zone terrain would be my favorite. Anyways, I was searching for an Aron. My DSiXL's red light was beginning to flash. Ignoring that simple fact that my game was about to die, I went on searching. Five minutes have gone past, and not one Aron. Argh, at this point, I should have stopped to get my charger, but I really wanted that damn Aron. Moments later, I get a battle encounter. I see this Pokémon: small, a light gold, eyes as red as my hair. I stopped. It shined. A Shiny Aron. I squealed as it said "A wild ARON appea-". My DSiXL died. Right there. I cried for an hour.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I dont know if this has been posted yet but I was in Goldenrod at the time and got a call from Ethan telling me I should take my Totodile to the gym or National park or something (I forget where). Strange thing is I dont even own a Totodile, I'm pretty sure there wasnt one in my Pokedex either.

Years
  • This just happened, and I was literally shouting at my DS. My dog thought i was crazy. Let me set the scene:

I've completed my pokedex, and since then I've been trying to do well in the Battle Frontier. Now, let's move across to the Battle Factory, and after 49 consecutive wins, Thornton is willing to battle me. I go through his first 2 pokemon with ease, losing my Specially-based Bronzong and having my CB Aerodactyl locked into Earthquake. His last pokemon is released - Shuckle. This thing has those godly defenses, but I'm Choiced into a powerful EQ, so I go ahead and attack again.

The EQ only does about 30% damage to the bug/rock pokemon, and I'm thinking that this may be a bit longer than I thought it would, but I would FINALLY get my Gold Print. Then the Shuckle (moving second) uses Power Trick, and I'm like 'Yes, I've got it, EQ is gonna KO it!!!!'. And I select EQ, cheering in my head...

'Aerodactyl's Earthquake missed the foe's Shuckle.'
    'The Foe's Shuckle used Stone Edge. It's Super Effective. Aerodactyl fainted.'

DAMMIT! All I have left now is a Specially-based Slowbro, and Shuckle still has its 230 base stat for special defense. I thought I was screwed and so went ahead and selected Flamethrower, hoping against all hope that i get some burn hax. And I did! Now the epic attack has been halved, and I still have a chance. But that bloody Shuckle used Stone Edge, which not only hits but appears to crit since the HP bar is going down so fast. I'm yelling at the DS again (cue one black poodle looking at me strangely), but thankfully it stops in the red zone with just 9 HP left. And the Flamethrower had done about half damage to Shuckles remaining health, so instead of doing the smart thing and selecting a STAB Psychic, I went and chose Flamethrower again in my haste.

The HP bar goes down agonisingly slowly, and then stops with just a sliver of red still left. And for the 3rd time in a row, Stone Edge hits (with an unnecessary crit, AGAIN) and knocks out my last pokemon. And since that counts as the end of the battle, Thornton is able to recall the Shuckle without the burn damage being done.

WTF?!?!?!

Now I gotta do it all over again :(
    Anybody want to help me feel better and give me a shiny? :D

Years
  • This actually happened back in Fire Red.

I just finished the league and got my national dex. Was walking around safron city with my low leveled poke's (Highest was 23) and poof, Wild Raikou appeared. I threw a pokeball and caught it with full HP O.O

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2011
    Not so much WTF, just annoyances.

Trying to catch Mewtwo, kept stalling it and healing until enough turns passed to turn the chances of a Timer Ball working x4. Then realised I didn't have any Timer Balls. Though I was soon happy as I had Dusk Balls. Then the sadness soon returned as Mewtwo used Struggle and knocked itself out.
    This was made even worse as I switched off, started the battle again and got it first turn with a Quick Ball.

Also, the double battle with Claire and Lance was annoying, my rival soon ran out of pokemon and I was left on my own -__- .

Dudypokefan89

Gen II fanboy / Loving Nidoking rn
    Years
  • A few Weeks ago, i decided that i was bored of my Heart Gold save, where i was somewhere deep in Mt. Silver trying to get to Red. Anyway, I go to New Game and i don't read the warning..big mistake! it must of said: "Warning! don't start a new game without deleting the first!", but i didn't read it. I am playing the game for a good 30 min. and now i'm at the end of sprout tower. (I was trying to level up my Hoot Hoot named Midnight) I beat sprout tower and i proudly waltz into Violet City Gym thinking i can fight Flying with Flying, but i lose...hard...I get transported back to the Pokecenter, and here is the OMG WTF part, I deside to save my game...and i....CAN'T!!!! I get so angry that i could trow my DS across the room, (I don't though). I end up reseting, deleting my other save, and trying to replicate that almost perfect Restarted game...

Deathshot

Unregistered User
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2019
    Put a Bulbasaur on GTS for a Ho-oh just to laugh to see if I would get it.

Logged in today to get the Bulbasaur out... Got a Shiny Ho-oh born on Date Jan. 0, 2000. Thanks GTS.

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    When facing off against Red, how my level 50-something Garchomp outsped his level 88 Pikachu. I was like, *blink blink* wut? It was amazing, since I won because of that thing, but it was still a major WTF moment.

There was another moment where I was fighting Lance, and every one of his Pokemon was out except his Charizard. My last Pokemon was Jirachi, who was at least 5 levels higher. Charizard managed to go first and OHKO Jirachi. My eyes went O_O;;; WTF.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Old Amber is supposed to be Rare, right? First Fossil I found in my HG Rom, Old Amber.
    I suppose that's a good thing, but it still qualifies as a WTF! :D
    To make it funnier I was actually looking for a Heart Scale
    This just in!: Another Old Amber within 5 Minutes.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    Put a Bulbasaur on GTS for a Ho-oh just to laugh to see if I would get it.

Logged in today to get the Bulbasaur out... Got a Shiny Ho-oh born on Date Jan. 0, 2000. Thanks GTS.

What the… you lucky… is it a legit Ho-oh?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • ^ Of course it isn't - you can't get a Pokemon on the 0th of any month. =p It's a hacked one, which isn't something one shouldn't expect with shiny Pokemon given to you on the GTS.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years
  • ^ Of course it isn't - you can't get a Pokemon on the 0th of any month. =p It's a hacked one, which isn't something one shouldn't expect with shiny Pokemon given to you on the GTS.

Well I once put a magnemite lvl. 8 in the gts... asked a charmander, and I was like WTF?! because I got a lvl1 shiny charmander! The summary seems real so I guess either the trainer thought it wasn't normal and traded it or RNG'd it.

Deathshot

Unregistered User
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2019
    Someone wanted to use my Arcanine in a battle today. I didn't know them. So I said no. Well. They said in collateral they would give me their social security number, a picture ID, a phone number, and a school ID as well as proof they wouldn't steal it... So I did and what do you know... I got it back. I love my Arcanines too much to give them away.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I was using my Togepi yesterday, it used Metronome and got Stockpile. Ok cool, +1 for both Defenses. I use Metronome again, I get Spit Up.

Thank you hax gods, after many useless crits you have given me, making me Flinch every second and making it seem that the opponent has a built in Serene Grace, you gave me something worthwhile.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • This is more of a mental WTF moment I had before I restarted my file...

I Got all the way through Cerulean Cave and up to Mewtwo. When I talked to it I was expecting just a regular battle...but whoever would've guessed it'd show up shiny? So I jump around in exitement a bit and send out my trusty Ampharos to Thunder Wave it. Once it was paralysed and weakened I went into my bag......only to find out I had no Pokeballs at all (epic facepalm). If you could only imagine the joy I felt inside for the rest of that day (extreme sarcasm).

WTF was I thinking?

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • This is more of a mental WTF moment I had before I restarted my file...

I Got all the way through Cerulean Cave and up to Mewtwo. When I talked to it I was expecting just a regular battle...but whoever would've guessed it'd show up shiny? So I jump around in exitement a bit and send out my trusty Ampharos to Thunder Wave it. Once it was paralysed and weakened I went into my bag......only to find out I had no Pokeballs at all (epic facepalm). If you could only imagine the joy I felt inside for the rest of that day (extreme sarcasm).

WTF was I thinking?
    Sorry to hear that buddy, but dang, was it necessary for fate to put you a Shiny Pokémon when you had no Pokéballs. Now you have learned your lesson, always carry extra Pokéballs.

I would've been as melancholic as you, or even worst if this happened to me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back