• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Year My Sports Career Turned On Itself (N.W.A., Poorly Drawn Lines, Watsky Raps Fast) [Daily Bloggity Entry #75]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • [css-div="background-color:#990066 ; border-style: solid; border-color: #000000"]
    dH48hIY.png

Date: 10 May 2014
    Time: 12:16 AM ET
    Mood: Don't want to sleep, too many things to do

Some of you may not have known this about myself, but in high school and my late teen years I was a very avid soccer player. And not to toot my own horn or anything, but probably one of the strongest players that have played in my age group. I say specifically "strongest" because I wouldn't say I was the fastest, or had the fanciest foot skills, but I had a body build where on the pitch I was very rarely bumped off the ball and could easily win any one-on-one tackle that may have occurred. Furthermore, because I used to be a goal keeper, I had very good anticipation skills as to where the player was going to move next. I could read the person's eyes like a hawk and know what direction the play was going to turn three steps before it actually happened. My plan was to get scouted my senior year of college because of my skills, but unfortunately due to some...circumstances, I was never given the opportune chance.

Daily Music - "Express Yourself" by N.W.A.
    Spoiler:
    It all started the summer between my Junior and Senior years of high school. My family had decided to go on vacation to the sunny shores of South Carolina, so I obliged and took the trip down there with them. I've never really been the biggest of the beach to be perfectly honest - or warm weather as a matter of fact - but it was always good and healthy to spend some R&R with the family, and I was definitely in need of some at the time. However, my bright vacation became stormy very, very quickly. One day when I was taking a bubble bath - yeah, git at me bro, it was quite relaxing - I got up pretty fast and slammed my head against a porcelain soap holder that was jutting out from the wall. In turn, I ended up cracking the entirety of the soap holder [as well as the top of my head, leaving a huge gash in it's place. I ended up bleeding excessively, and after taking quick trip to the ER had nine shiny new staples sticking out from the top of the head. I ended up having to miss my tryouts for my senior year because of this - I had suffered a concussion at the same time - but thanks to my coach was able to still make it onto the team because he already knew how I played.

Daily Comic - "Future" by Poorly Drawn Lines
    Spoiler:
    The second game of the season though was when things went to go really south. No one in my family had gotten a concussion before so although I was cleared to play at the time, we didn't know of what kind of precautions to take. Stupidly, I decided to play without head gear, and in the second game of the season when I went up for a header I ended up reopening the wound on my head where the staples were and suffered another concussion. Defeated, I was sidelined for essentially the entirety of my senior season because of it; I missed 14 straight games and was only able to play in the last four games before we entered the playoffs. At this point I was pretty confident that maybe I can impress somewhere there of all places. But alas, things...went very bad. In the first round of the playoffs against one of our high school's biggest rivals, a player on the opposing player on a 50/50 ball - which for non soccer players means that both of us had the chance to get it - kicked me right in the back of my right leg, breaking my fibular in my leg. I was devastated. I had waited my entire high school career to finally show off my skills and bring our school glory in a deep playoff push, but in one swell swoop that was all taken from me. I was again taken to the ER and this time was sidelined indefinitely. That year I never got a change to get back on the pitch, nor ever get the chance to get scouted.

Daily Video - "Watsky raps fast." by youtuber Bartek Muzyczny
    Spoiler:
    Not saying though that I don't still have fun with the sport. I play recreationally in college with a bunch of friends and still have a blast with it. It would have just been nice to lift some of the financial burden that college might have on my parents by getting a scholarship with my skills. Anyways, how about you guys? Do y'all play any sports? Have you ever been seriously injured in a sport which made you have to stop playing it? Comment below as I'd love to hear and discuss with you what you have to say about this topic!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- elheroeoscuro

Spoiler:
    [/css-div]

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I was a competitive Badminton player back in high school, but sadly that only lasted one season during my freshman year. I played Softball in elementary school and in college as well, so I grew up playing both of these sports. I'm a recreational swimmer too, mastering in breast stroke. B)

The most severe injury I've had (sports-related) would be my left ankle, I twisted it when I was heading from 2nd to 3rd base. Hurts like hell. xD

Years
  • I hate to hear stories like this, but I can definitely relate.

Back when I was playing baseball, I ended up pinching a couple of nerves in my throwing shoulder, which kept me from pitching anywhere near as fast as I used to (I had to stop playing shortly after because of it). I wasn't even in high school yet, but I was playing a year up, and pitching on par with a guy that ended up getting drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers. Sure, I was still a few years off with a lot of variables in between, but something like that would've definitely been a life changer. No use dwelling on the what-ifs, though.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • Hard to hear these types of stories as a fellow athlete...
    I just run track and xc now but I used to play pretty much any sport you can think of, but i've never really had anything too serious other than tearing my hip flexor during a (american) football game...

Back