• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen There's a long way up ahead- You want to rest?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
  • They are defiantly useful. Some of them are unneeded though such as the one in front of Pinwheel Forest where it is only a short walk back to the Pokemon Centre and you can't encounter any wild Pokemon or trainers so you can't take damage. However the ones in places like Desert Resort where it means you don't have to go back through all that sand are super handy.

PorygonShellder

Courteous Fighter
    Years
  • They are pretty useful, especially near Pinwheel Forest because if you run out of potions, it's handy to have a nurse there. And there Pokemon usually give off alot of XP. :P

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I've though about this kind of stuff for a while ever since I played Gen I... (Not fun to try to navigate through ROCK TUNNEL again) Glad they finally implemented it :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    I love them. They're an ingenious way of making the game more friendly to new people, and it's not like you're forced to use or battle them. And some of the areas in game are massive, like Twist Mountain, and they're really helpful. And I no longer need to spend loads of money on Potions that I probably won't use.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
  • Ahhhh, it's good. So much of a relief to struggle through a particularly challenging part of the game and find a doctor or nurse. Sure, you have to beat them first, but then it's worth it to get an instant pokemon center in the middle of nowhere.

Years
  • The only one I ever use is the one in Celestial Tower while I'm EV Training my Special Sweepers. I don't even notice most of them, so I never use any of the other ones. xD

DemonBlood93

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I like the idea and I'm glad they put them in, handy to not keep fainting or running back to the PC.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    It's a lower-effort solution to the problem of constantly going back to a Pokémon Centre or carrying rare and expensive healing items than an approach that could've helped fix the problem better.

Instead of just taking the easy way out and littering the place with NPCs that call the "heal your Pokémon" routine I would have liked to see the entire HP and PP system get an overhaul.

Several popular RPG games choose to restore KO'd party members to 1 hit point after the battle is over, the most well-known examples being Final Fantasy X and Chrono Trigger. This makes it easier to keep a fighting team available because you don't need to use Revives (Which are expensive and cannot be bought until a point during the late stages of the game) to be able to bring your team back to health after a battle if some of them have fainted.

Many games (including the Mystery Dungeon series) also incorporate slowly regenerating HP and MP for their characters at some point. We've seen that simply resting for a period of time allows Pokémon to be restored to full health and power, so why is it that a Pokémon will never restore HP or PP on their own, even if you travel for a long time and they do not participate in battle at all?

Last edited:

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Doctors and Nurses are a great addition in the game. I prefer to use them over and over again whenever I am training my pokemon in the grass or cave.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2015
    I really liked the addition of doctors and nurses, many of them actually make EV training much less of a hassle (the nurse in celestical tower for SP.atk, the one infront of pinwheel forest and in victory road for defense) it's almost as if they did that on purpose.

I feel that they should placed in more strategic areas as well, maybe make a long enduring dungeon where there is a nurse or doctor midway but you have to sweat it out to reach him.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    Very useful. I like them a lot, since they save my money on Revives, Potions and the like.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
  • Having 97 escape ropes in every game (thanks to my over-abuse of Pickup) kinda makes the doctors slightly less "needed" and more of a convenience/time saver. However, I am glad they added them into the game. Before my first E4 on Black, I did a bunch of grinding at Victory Road which would've taken twice as long without a doctor in the room. And I do sort of miss them when playing my other pokemon games.

Also, a bit off topic:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I think the nurses and doctors healing your Pokemon after battle are pretty helpful in my end. If you finish the battle with most of your Pokemon fainted or with status problems, they can heal it for you without having to go all the way back to the nearest Pokemon Center. To be honest I find that really neat.

Years
  • I love those Nurses and Doctors :D They make things a whole lot easier. This way I don't always have to run back and forth to the Pokemon Centers. Great addition.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    I definitely love the Docs and Nurses. Makes running around the tougher areas easier (Looking at you Victory Road)

~Morning Bliss~

→ Kaori's Alter Ego
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    I definitely love how they are in certain places, especially when it came to Victory Road. I have to admit I was getting kind of anxious to reach the end to heal up all of my Pokémon already, but it was good to see one of the doctors there. Plus I still think it gives off some kind of competition within the games, since you do have to battle the nurse/or doctor first before your Pokémon are healed.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
    Years
  • I liked it and I didn't.

I loved how it was much easier to heal up more often. It meant less items for me to carry and less deaths due to low hp and sicknesses I couldn't cure.

But in a strange way, I didn't like it. The game was easy enough and didn't need another factor this big to add to it.

However, despite the game being so easy, I would like to see this feature implemented again in the future, although probably not to the same extent.

Back