• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

thethethethe's Scripting Tutorial

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Well... I have not seen this tutorial in a long while.
But I gotta say, it is quite out of date, PokeScript is flawed, and should not be used anymore.
Don't get me wrong, this is probably the most extensive guide on here for scripting, but it is just out of date.
(I would know that it is probably the best scripting tutorial on here, because this is the only tutorial I have ever read, that made sense, this tutorial got my scripting knowledge started.)

it may be out of date, but it's still useful, for this tutorials helps me to know what codes to use for an event I would like to have, and I just have to convert it to XSE style.
it's not really a big problem, though...
but I respect your opinion, though. :)
and I agree that this tutorial is very easy to understand.

help i tried to make movement to this girl and then the whole game froze heeeeeeeeeeelp:(

post your script in the Script Help Thread for ROM modders/hackers to help see what's the problem.
Remember to follow the format of how to post your script there on the first page.

hmmm about the wild battle script,do I need to copy all of this code?how can I change chrizard to a lapras?how can I put this on advanced map?is that works with pksvui?

thethethethe explained how to do that.
in a wild battle script, just change the PKMN hex code to the one you want to battle.

or by 'Charizard to Lapras', do you mean the title screen of FireRed?
if so, then this is the wrong thread to ask.

Years
This will be very useful for me and my hack since I'm pretty new to the whole thing, thanks! You gave the most detailed yet simple thread. By simple I mean you explain the things in a form where most people can understand and it's not too high technological...
^_^

kaka1918

sorry im bad in english
Years
yes is very good tutoriel I can take it to make it in my site with a French translation (with credit ) your please

Da GaMeFrEaK

Farmer/Swordsman
Years
Is there some kind of formula or table that would explain how to convert numbers to hex? I'm trying to convert 2000 to hex, but I really don't know if I didn't read the tutorial well enough and I missed something, or if this is really complicated math. I have a feeling that I'm going to convert more numbers. thethethethe explained that 500 equaled 0x1F4. How did he get that?

Excalibur

Sorry for my english...
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Tazman, you can use windows calculator advanced mode. just write a number in dec and then choose hex. the number will be converted into hex.

Sky the Shaym

Sky the Shaymin, NOT Shaym
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
Pokemon hex values

I tried using some of the scripts and i noticed i need to use the hex values of pokemon, not the pokedex numbers... Can someone tell me the hex values of pokemon for XSE?

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I tried using some of the scripts and i noticed i need to use the hex values of pokemon, not the pokedex numbers... Can someone tell me the hex values of pokemon for XSE?

The HEX values of the pokemon COME WITH XSE.
Please look in the folder where you saved XSE, and open the file called, stdpoke.rbh
That File, when opened in XSE or any other text editor, will show every single hex value for the pokemon.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Huh...I didn't know windows calculator could do that. Thanks a lot!

XSE has an integrated calc, too.

Please look in the folder where you saved XSE, and open the file called, stdpoke.rbh
That File, when opened in XSE or any other text editor, will show every single hex value for the pokemon.

Yeah. And besides... you don't even need to know the hex values at all:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#include stdpoke.rbh

#org @start
givepokemon PKMN_PIKACHU 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
end

Sky the Shaym

Sky the Shaymin, NOT Shaym
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
thanks a lot! That really helped me!

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I don't know why but I always get an error Message with the "message" thing.
And it says that "boxset" doesn't exist!?!

What's wrong with my XSE?

Nothing. Basically boxset is outdated and not needed any more. Message/msgbox is all you need. Check the Command Help and read the guide too.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2009
hello i'm a newbie and i wrote a script but it doesn't work when i step on it the game freezes

#org $begin
lock
checkflag 0x828
if b_true goto $done
message $1
boxset 6
applymovement 0xFF $move
pausemove 0x0
applymovement 0x03 $move1
pausemove 0x0
message $2
boxset 6
applymovement 0x03 $move2
applymovement 0xFF $move3
pausemove 0x0
setflag 0x828
release
end

#org $done
release
end

#org $1
$1 1 =OAK: Hey wait!\nDon't go out there!

#org $move
#raw 0x56 0xFE

#org $move1
#raw 0x55 0x05 0x06 0x05 0x06 0x05 0xFE

#org $2
$2 1 =OAK: It's unsafe!\nWild POKéMON live in tall grass!\p You need your own POKéMON for your\nprotection.\lI know!\pHere, come with me!

#org $move2
#raw 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x06 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x07 0x07 0x07 0x05 0x54 0xFE

#org $move3
#raw 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x06 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x04 0x07 0x07 0x07 0x05 0xFE

defdef2

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2010
this is the best tut ever!!!

i just made my first script

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2009
hey could some one help me?Im having a slight (major) problem with the wild pkmn battle script.I entered my offset onto the sprite i used the male hero sprite to represent the wild pkmn battle with a charizard.SO i tested it.I talked to the male hero it said Charizard-GRRR what i had as my message but then the screen faded out for a millisecond and then came back to normal.I heard a you got an item jingle,the sprite disappears,and when you walk 2 steps it re-appears and replays the whole thing if ou talk to it.I really find that weird!If you want a video on youtube to be posted or screenies id be glad to post them.Please help:(

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2009
Great tutorial! I can't seem to get my computer to compile the scripts but I already reinstalled the program. Got any suggestions?

ProClifo

The Village Pirate Cat
Years
I have a prob too. I made Celebi wild Pokemon script in Viridian Forest, and thanks for the flag numbers, by the way. It dissapears normally when you kill it or run away from it. But when I catch it, it won't dissapear! Can someone help me and tell what to do? :\
ANSWER PLEASE!

Last edited:
Back