• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"They're not Cartoons!" Do you hate it people mistake Anime for Cartoons?

Angry at Ignorance?

• Yes

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Wut? They're Cartoons.

Votes: 69 47.3%

• Total voters

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    In that case, it sounds like we're in violent agreement (a very useful phrase that I learned from my math teacher, who is awesome). I have a problem with people saying "Hey, you watching cartoons? Pfft... kid's stuff." about any kind of animation, even non-anime. To be honest, I happen to enjoy plenty of "kid's stuff," and I don't appreciate it when people refer to the term like it's a bad thing. There is nothing more child-like than avoiding something for the sole reason that it is child-like. There are a lot of works that were made for children that are perfectly fine by adult standards. Just look at Harry Potter and Narnia. Whether or not something is childish is not an indicator of its quality or how worthwhile it is.
    Lulz, violent agreement. It leads me to wonder how this is applied in Math. XD

Anyway, yes, I do agree that just because it's aimed at a lower demographic, it doesn't mean that it isn't worth watching. The Chronicles of Narnia, is an excellent example. Though, on a semi-unrelated note, how many people have read the entire chronicle except from Prince Caspian and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe?

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Whatever people call them, it does not change the fact that they are animated, fictional, and follow unreal physics. I basically don't care what they're called, because I can't control that anyway, but I do hate it when people say anime is "realistic" and better than cartoons in all aspects. Yes, I found that cartoons have edges where anime can never have.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    I don't mind if they're called cartoons, but I don't like the hidden meaning that seems to go along with it. I usually use the word "anime", but I use "Japanese cartoons" when I talk to people who don't know what anime is.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    a little bit for example i'm sitting on the sofa minding my own buisness watching pokemon or yugioh gx sometimes and my dad goes 'sit up shaih stop watching your cartoons!!' and i reply ' actually get your facts straight dad its not a cartoon its a anime!!' XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    What annoys is people assuming cartoons = animations.

Cartoon originally meant "A humorous drawing, often with a caption, or a strip of such drawings".
    Animation could refer to anything animated, anything. Western animation does tend to be more aimed at humour for younger audiences but neither Western or Japanese animation is necessary a cartoon.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I hate people who care. I call all form of animation cartoons since that's what they are. Is there a difference? Country of origin I suppose. Outside of that? Not much.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    My dad calls them 'cartoons' on purpose because he knows it annoys me. :/

I'm not gonna join the argument here. D:

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    I...Don't care.
    Japanese Cartoons are Cartoons.
    I call everything a cartoon is its animated :|

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    I find it annoying, but I don't get mad. Not that mad.

Where I come from, most think that anime/manga are just cartoons/comics that specialize in selling things to kids (the Pokémon anime, Bakugan, YuGiOh, etc.), and liking these things seems like no-lifer stuff to them. THAT makes me really angry.

Zizi

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom
    Years
    Well I tend to call things that are a bit darker anime and lighter cartoons.. yet i do call pokemon anime so i've just contradicted myself.. i don't think it matters TOO much, its an easy mistake to make, whats more important is just enjoying what you're watching =]]

Finnel

Years
    It's not the right word to use, but it's not that far off. I don't react to it at all, a lot of people use the word "cartoon" to describe traditionally animated media nowadays.

It's completely understandable for a person who isn't that involved with the whole anime fandom to use the word "cartoons."

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Unless the speaker is purposed saying/implying that "Japanese animation = western animation = childish", not at all. (i.e. "Stop watching that kids' stuff!". Emphasizing on kids' stuff here.)
    Besides, my friends call them "animations" anyway.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Anime = Japanese Cartoons

Anime = Japanese word for animation and/or cartoons, even though to places outside of Japan, 'anime' is the word for the art style alone.
    (Japanese don't really say 'cartoons', even when they have american cartoons released there, they call them 'american anime'.)

Animation = Cartoons, typically.

Even the Japanese will admit that 'anime' is just Japanese cartoons. Even though, typically, yeah cartoons are normally thought of as stupid, or humorous. While most anime series have deeper story lines, but it's still animation, and therefore they still boil down to being cartoons. I don't call them that, and I don't like calling them that, but it's still truefactz. D;

Although, when I was younger, there was no way I would admit to the above.

I was all "THEY'RE NOT CARTOONZ, THEY'RE ANIMAY. RAGE."

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Unless the speaker is purposed saying/implying that "Japanese animation = western animation = childish", not at all. (i.e. "Stop watching that kids' stuff!". Emphasizing on kids' stuff here.)
    Besides, my friends call them "animations" anyway.

Anime = Japanese word for animation and/or cartoons, even though to places outside of Japan, 'anime' is the word for the art style alone.
    (Japanese don't really say 'cartoons', even when they have american cartoons released there, they call them 'american anime'.)

Even the Japanese will admit that 'anime' is just Japanese cartoons. Even though, typically, yeah cartoons are normally thought of as stupid, or humorous. While most anime series have deeper story lines, but it's still animation, and therefore they still boil down to being cartoons. I don't call them that, and I don't like calling them that, but it's still truefactz. D;

That was basically the point of the thread actually... The part about people implying that cartoons = childish... And yes, I do know that the Japanese refer to them as cartoons.

Years

Whilst you DO have a point here, as said before, there's a difference between cartoons and animation. Animation is media formed through anything but actual live filming. 'Cartoon' would generally be humor-based drawn out media, in most typically without any form of storyline, excluding the occasion 2-parted episode. As of now, I can't think of any cartoon at does not follow my description, though I would like any to feel free to mention one.
    Anime, by what I believe, is a form of animation that maintains a specific drawing style, with an origin of Japan. Anime TYPICALLY has a continuous storyline, rarely is targeted for the same group of people, and isn't used solely for humor. I really would love for someone to be able to prove me wrong, as I'm having a mental block with cartoons... Likely has to do with the fact I haven't seen them in years.

Oh yes. And the fact that they refer to them as cartoons, in which would RARELY be considered childish by any, and our cartoons which most are considered childish by the majority of those above a low age, sort of makes us seem like a failure, doesn't it? :3

Last edited:

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    It's all just cartoons. They are animation and they are on TV. None of it is real, and it all comes down to the same thing. People sat down and planned an episode for Mickey Mouse. People sat down and planned an episode for Bleach. Mickey Mouse had his first original drawing ever. Sonic has his first original drawing ever.

It all pretty much boils down to the same thing IMO. I consider them all cartoons in origin, but I call anime anime because it IS different from Disney and the likes. I mean, Invader ZIM isn't anime, but it's not drawn like Disney characters either. It's still a cartoon. Everything has it's own style, but. I'll quit ranting. lol.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    "They're not Cartoons!" Do you hate it people mistake Anime for Cartoons?

I'm not a child, so no, it doesn't bother me.

Back