• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Things in B/W that irritate you - discussion!

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    One thing that irritates me about b/w is the poor rematching system. Infact, last time I checked, I think there wasn't one at all.
    Yeah the only place where you can really rematch trainers is in the domes in Nimbasa City. I haven't gotten further than Opelucid yet so I don't know for the rest of the game though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    -I feel like there was a lack of certain types of pokemon in Black. (Fire for example, there were barely any from what I've seen.)
    Not really :x There were 13 fire types in Black and White while in Sinnoh there were only 5 (unless I missed something, but still, that's almost double the amount).

Ashe1024

Pokemon Champion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011

Not really :x There were 13 fire types in Black and White while in Sinnoh there were only 5 (unless I missed something, but still, that's almost double the amount).

Actually, there were 15 total fire types in B/W
    Victini
    Tepig, Pignite, Emboar
    Pansear, Simisear (who I found to truly be almost useless as fire type)
    Darumaka, Darmanitan
    Litwick, Lampent, Chadelure (who I found more useful as ghost type)
    Heatmor
    Larvesta, Volcarona
    Reshiram (who is better used as a dragon in my opinion)
    The problem I have with it is that you're pretty much limited to 8 because the others are evolutions. A few of the options I find to lack the power of your older fire types. And of the 15 total, 9 of them are dual type, so you actually only truly end up with 6 full fire types.

The Sinnoh region had a very low amount as well when you consider you options were Chimchar and it's evolved forms and Ponyta/Rapidash. So you had two options pretty much. One of those two (Chimchar's evolutions) becoming dual type. I was upset about the lack there too. But the point here was to point out what we don't like about B/W not what we don't like about the other games.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Wow, I could write a 5-page essay on this. I guess I'll just summarize this.

Why I don't like Pokemon Black and White as much as everyone else
    An Essay by Elgyem

Tab. of Contents
    I. Global Link
    II. N
    III. Unova
    IV. The story
    V. The Pokemon
    VI. The Hype

Spoiler:

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • The main thing that annoys me is how the wifi battles are set up, i wish you could play 6v6 with anyone in the world just on random battle. But it's 3v3 and if you want to battle wifi with your friends you're pokes have to be 100 :/

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
  • The following were irritating in B/W imo:
    -Short routes and too many bridges.
    -Many ugly Pokemon designs.
    -Lack of Fire type Pokemon.
    -Capturing the Legendary Pokemon AFTER the Elite Four.
    -Music doesn't agitate me as it did with HG/SS or R/S/E or even R/B/Y.

Overall, I didn't enjoy it so much. Preferred Soul Silver way more, even though I played through Gold, Silver and Crystal, which kinda makes this a 4th playthrough. :P

Melody

Banned
    Years
    1. Misuse of angles. - Seriously, I understand that you want to show off the angle aspects of the new game engine, but why not allow us to DISABLE it? Or USE IT ELSEWHERE? Seriously. This gets especially annoying when you're somewhere like the Skyarrow bridge and you can barely see the NPCs you're talking to. It's especially annoying when you're playing on a smaller system.
    2. Bridges - Too many. Skyarrow was cool, but there were several which were unnecessary. Not to mention the bridges is where they spam the poor use of angles in the engine itself, and I find this to be the reason why people dislike bridges
    3. Diminishing Gains EXP wise - Please, return to the old EXP system. It does nothing for the game and makes for more annoying grinding...and forcing us to spam-hunt Audino and other exp honeypots.
    4. Rerun Pokemon - A lot of Pokemon in this generation have an unoriginal feel. Seriously...it's annoying. The cuteness and ugliness factors also seem to have doubled. Please. No more ugly pokemon. And we have enough saccharine cute pokemon. No more!

Zet

Years
    1. Misuse of angles. - Seriously, I understand that you want to show off the angle aspects of the new game engine, but why not allow us to DISABLE it? Or USE IT ELSEWHERE? Seriously. This gets especially annoying when you're somewhere like the Skyarrow bridge and you can barely see the NPCs you're talking to. It's especially annoying when you're playing on a smaller system.
    2. Bridges - Too many. Skyarrow was cool, but there were several which were unnecessary. Not to mention the bridges is where they spam the poor use of angles in the engine itself, and I find this to be the reason why people dislike bridges
    3. Diminishing Gains EXP wise - Please, return to the old EXP system. It does nothing for the game and makes for more annoying grinding...and forcing us to spam-hunt Audino and other exp honeypots.
    4. Rerun Pokemon - A lot of Pokemon in this generation have an unoriginal feel. Seriously...it's annoying. The cuteness and ugliness factors also seem to have doubled. Please. No more ugly pokemon. And we have enough saccharine cute pokemon. No more!
    Pokemon is now a korean mmo, learn to deal with grinding. Also get an action replay to solve you "misuse" of angels.

Another thing that irks me has already been mentioned, and that's the GTS.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Pokemon is now a korean mmo, learn to deal with grinding. Also get an action replay to solve you "misuse" of angels.

Another thing that irks me has already been mentioned, and that's the GTS.

Oh, you don't like the GTS, with everyone asking for a Lv9 or under Reshiram? WELL NEITHER DO I. It's too bad that Game Freak couldn't learn how to block hackers from the GTS. It's also annoying going on GTS Negotiations and finding that everyone is offering Shiny Lv100 Arceuses in Master Balls. I'm sick of the bloody hackers already! And I agree that the game is trying too hard to show off the graphics. Shoulda wrote that in my essay.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • When I first started the game, I go to the options panel like I always do in a pokemon game. And I noticed something; the L=A option wasn't there :( And I kept forgetting that periodically throughout the game. I press the L button and the text won't move! -insert troll face here-

GameFreak should've never taken that option out :t056:

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    GlitchCity said:
    When I first started the game, I go to the options panel like I always do in a pokemon game. And I noticed something; the L=A option wasn't there And I kept forgetting that periodically throughout the game. I press the L button and the text won't move! -insert troll face here-

GameFreak should've never taken that option out

Yeah, seriously. Why did GameFreak even bother to remove the L=A option? I always liked to change that to reduce the wear on my A button (on my first DS, it got smashed down so much that it was nearly impossible to use).

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Oh I totally agree with you on the music change when you're Pokémon is in a pinch. I don't like it how the 'buu-puu' becomes an actual part of the theme, and it makes me want to get out of that theme even more than normal lol. Don't care if it's through dying or healing really >__>"
    Not too mention the music change when the gym leaders only have one Pokemon left. Seriously nintendo, while you make them looks awesome in term of design(Except Skyla's "pilot" bikini) You give them weak pokemon, and humiliate them with such corny music when we about to beat them? Seriously nintendo *insert seriously.jpg*
    Wow, I could write a 5-page essay on this. I guess I'll just summarize this.

Why I don't like Pokemon Black and White as much as everyone else
    An Essay by Elgyem

Tab. of Contents
    I. Global Link
    II. N
    III. Unova
    IV. The story
    V. The Pokemon
    VI. The Hype

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Oh, you don't like the GTS, with everyone asking for a Lv9 or under Reshiram? WELL NEITHER DO I. It's too bad that Game Freak couldn't learn how to block hackers from the GTS. It's also annoying going on GTS Negotiations and finding that everyone is offering Shiny Lv100 Arceuses in Master Balls. I'm sick of the bloody hackers already! And I agree that the game is trying too hard to show off the graphics. Shoulda wrote that in my essay.
    GTS is kinda Love-and-Hate relationship. While its true that so many people request under lvel 9 legendaries, there's still normal people who requested normal pokemon. I got my drizzle Polioted from there by trading it with Vulpix:P.

Poketto-Monsuta

Pika Pii
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    My issues
    -Anyone realize the fact that you cannot get unobtainable pokemon(old gen starters/legendaries) without having another DS, no palpark... I just bought one ds to play BW.
    - Level Jump post game/ and no post game story, we should battle the sages to capture them/battle two girls that take care of N.
    - get Hydreigon at level 64.... Whywhywhy? but why not 55 what makes it so special?
    - Grinding grinding grinding
    - No safari zone? every game had one except this.(hg/ss change it for 2nd gen)
    - Unova to linear
    - Global link? really I have to play terrible online games to get special pokemon and I can only do it for one hour a day. And wait 24hrs to do it again. Also you could get pokemon from it that wouldn't evolve because of national dex restrictions.
    - GTS awful unreasonable pkmn trades/GTS negotiations even worse all pokemon offered were level 100 shinies from stuck up hackers.
    - Pokemon Musical...really?
    - terrible TM's also locations you get earthquake post game....
    - except the daruma dolls, candlejacks, heavy moles, cotton grimlins, ghost jellies, axe/hydra dragons, ghetto-thug lizards, and sterioded clowns these new pokemon are terrible. Maybe thats just me

But I understand that they're either trying to reach younger people or just getting lazy with the internal stuff.

edit: maybe its time to invest in an action replay?

Druddigon

Arceus Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2011
    Cheren / Bianca.
    Whenever you go through a whole bunch of battles, and your pokemon are weak, you just want to get to town fast and get your guys healed up. NOPE.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Cheren / Bianca.
    Whenever you go through a whole bunch of battles, and your pokemon are weak, you just want to get to town fast and get your guys healed up. NOPE.
    Oh how I agree with you. With that comes also the fact that I really don't like Cheren. He is smug and a wise-ass. I like Bianca though so she doesn't really irritate me as much as Cheren does.

Druddigon

Arceus Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2011
    Very true Yoshikkko!
    It also took me a while to realize Cheren was a boy xD

Years
  • I haven't played it yet but that doesn't mean I can't discuss!

Things I hate:
    - Gyms being in fixed order unlike HGSS Kanto Gyms
    - Pressing B when you need to run
    - Garbodor
    - Trainers having level 60+ Pokemon after National Dex
    - Having to challenge the Elite Four twice
    - Archeops' ability

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • I haven't played it yet but that doesn't mean I can't discuss!

You can discuss, but your opinion won't hold much water without legitimate experience to back up your dislike of the games. Just sayin'.

- Gyms being in fixed order unlike HGSS Kanto Gyms

How long has it been since you played the aforementioned generations? Those gyms are just as linear, if not more so.

Kanto (this is the only one I'm doing since Johto is just a long version of Kanto):
    Can't fight Viridian until you fight the other 7.
    Can't proceed past Pewter until you beat Brock.
    Can't proceed to Vermilion until you beat Misty, Blue, and meet Bill.
    Can't fight Lt. Surge until you go on the SS Anne and waste a move slot on Cut. (At least in B/W they do this in the very beginning, instead of making you screw over the Pokemon you might have invested in from the moment you caught it. The average player won't use Patrat, Purrloin, or the monkeys once they get their badge.)
    You have to have x amount of Pokemon so you can get Flash (or anything else from the Aids) unless your awesome like me and can navigate Dark Cave without it
    You have to deal with Team Rocket before you can fight Erika, Sabrina, Giovanni.
    Can't fight Koga before: beating Team Rocket in Saffron to get the Silph Scope, navigating Lavender Town's funeral tower to get the Pokeflute, waking up Snorlax, going to the Safari Zone and getting the Warden's dentures, going back to get Surf if you ran out of time.

In B/W, sure Cheren, Bella, and Plasma slow progress down a bit, but they're far less invasive in overall progress. The side quests and backtracking is done mostly towards the end of the main story.

Can't get to Blaine without having gone through the burned Mansion and the cave on the way to Cinnabar.

- Pressing B when you need to run
    Action Replay to 2x walking. That is all.

- Garbodor
    Really? One Pokemon you don't like out of 100+ when that Pokemon is completely optional to use? BLASPHEMY!!!11!

- Trainers having level 60+ Pokemon after National Dex
    Okay, I will admit that is annoying, esp. when the Pokemon you have to grind with are much weaker and make level gaining to beat those trainers take forever. Then then again, Action Replay.

- Having to challenge the Elite Four twice
    This too. Technically, N was the Champion so your beating him makes you the champion, so why do you have to prove yourself twice?

- Archeops' ability
    PokeSav or PokeGen. That is all. Too many Flying types to care about one that I'm never going to use. After Gym... 5, I don't catch anymore Pokemon unless I specifically planned my team with a Pokemon that doesn't show up until late in the game.

My issues
    -Anyone realize the fact that you cannot get unobtainable pokemon(old gen starters/legendaries) without having another DS, no palpark... I just bought one ds to play BW.

- No safari zone? every game had one except this.(hg/ss change it for 2nd gen)

- Pokemon Musical...really?

edit: maybe its time to invest in an action replay?

For that first complaint: Emulator (No$GBA for speed); Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White which are both 649 hacks. The creator is even kind enough to provide a glossary of where each Pokemon can be obtained in the wild.

2nd complaint: You don't need one because 1) you can catch all version exclusives in the wild, 2) it'll be practically useless because earlier generations can't be obtained before the national dex, 3) the older Pokemon can be found in just a matter of backtracking. No need to make a new area just to house 493 that you won't get to use until later.

3rd complaint: It's not like the game is forcing you to participate, so why do you care?

To your edit: No, you just need to start using an emulator and a 649 hacked version.

-Lack of Fire type Pokemon.

This isn't a B/W thing, this is a Pokemon games thing as a whole. Just Action Replay or get a 649 hack. I've monotyped through all but Isshu/Unova with Fire-types. None of the games have many Fire-types to speak of without breeding/hacking.

The only thing that annoys me a bit about B/W is the post game. Why do I have to fight the E4 again at 60+? N was the champion, so shouldn't I be the champion? Nintendo could have killed 2 birds with one stone and let me get both of those game requirements out of the way at the same time.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    To be fair Sooyun, I appreciate your defense of my favorite generation but a lot of the complaints that you're arguing against are valid. For example the pressing B to run, not all of us have an AR or want to use one. Same with Archeops, it's reasonable to like a Pokemon but dislike its ability without wanting to hack the game. If the complaint requires a hack to fix, then it's a reasonable complaint, and most of your solutions were merely "hack the game, play it on your computer, or play a modified version of it".

Back