• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things that never made sense in Pokemon

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    -Why are bikes so overpriced in Cerulean City?
    I believe to prevent players to progress the game faster and this applies to certain gens. so you'll need to find a person giving you a bike coupon :P

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    How does Remoraid evolve to Octillery?

Remoraid is also based on a gun.
    What's more powerful than a gun?
    Octillery = cannon.

Remoraid's talent for shooting attacks is similar to an archerfish's. Considering its relationship to Mantyke and Mantine it appears to also be based on a remora. Its shooting abilities, general shape, and appearance make it similar to firearms, more specifically, revolvers.

Octillery is based on an octopus. It also has some basis on a tank or a wheeled cannon.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Well there is quite a few:
    - Egg Groups: How can certain Pokemon mate? Wailord and Diglett anyone?
    - Certain Female Pokemon: Machamp? Alakazam??
    - Alakazam being able to use iron tail
    - Dark being weak to Bug - like really?? A big bad Pokemon is weak to bugs?
    - How some Pokemon can learn fly and others not. Dodrio? Of course! Scyther or Gliscor? Nope!
    - Bouffalant not being a Tauros evolution, Alommomola not being a Luvdic evo

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Well there is quite a few:
    - Egg Groups: How can certain Pokemon mate? Wailord and Diglett anyone?

^

To extend this: Why can different species interbreed, and still manage to give birth to a normal pokémon, rather than a hybrid. With the only remnants being a slightly misplaced move from the father.

This implies that moves are genetic, including TMs and HMs. So using a machine actually changes your pokémon's DNA? D:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    - How does pokemon communicate with human(Aside from R's Meowth)? I watched some pokemovie and certain pokemon communicate with humans via telepathy and not so normally open their mouth and said what they should said

- In the game, You'll need Reshiram or Zekrom to create either of these colored Kyruem. But how can it be possible in the move for Kyruem to be in these colored fusion.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Well there is quite a few:
    - Bouffalant not being a Tauros evolution, Alommomola not being a Luvdic evo

My theories:
    - Gender is fluid and not strictly dictated by perceived tertiary sexual characteristics. This applies to the real world as well FYI...
    - Insects are most active at night and are adapted to survival in darkness.
    - I'm guessing that Bouffalant and Alomomola were designed to be evolved forms before the creative decision was made to make B/W have only GenV pokémon and were ultimately kept in despite the new direction.

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    1.How does Kangaskan hatch with another baby in its pouch.
    2.Why would you send your 10 year old kid all alone in a whole region facing all sorts of crime organisations
    3.How normal and fighting types have no effect on ghost but physical damage attacks damage ghost.
    4.How the godly arceus can be caught by a 10 year old kid with a mere ball.
    5.Mere drinks like soda and water do more healing than scientifically made potions.
    6.How is it possible for a wailord and a skitty(or eevee or even seedot) can breed? And how can the people at the daycare not notice that

Last edited:

Shhmew

Years
  • 5.Mere drinks like soda and water do more healing than scientifically made potions.
    this.

Also it bugs me that I can use Dig while on water and Dive on the solid ground. .___. Just screws with my head.

And the ridiculous not being able to run without running shoes. What on earth did that accomplish? It was especially painful in Firered/Leafgreen to have to go all the way past the first gym before getting them. I actually beat the first gym thinking they simply didn't have running shoes, to keep to the spirit of Gen 1. Really glad they scrapped the shoes in gen 6 and just let you run right away xD

In fact, in Gen 6 they fixed a good amount of things that didn't make sense. For example, no one understood how a tiny little shrub couldn't just be scooted past-- it needed a pokemon to cut it down. In gen 6, this was explained by making Cut trees all prickly. I mean who would want to try to slide past a prickly, thorny tree? Certainly not me!

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • In order to protect the poor Skitty's kitty, I'm gonna say artificial insemination.

As such, I'm more inclined to feel sorry for whomever the poor unfortunate soul is that has to collect the Wailord sperm.

But that's the nature of the work, innit.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2014
    How do NPCs heel their Pokemons if they stay at the same place all the time?

Why does your opponent(be it an NPC or a wild encounter) always start the battle with full HP?

How can you encounter an unlimited amount of wild Pokemons outside, sometimes in very confined places?

Why does Team X, Y or Z just let you escape without harm if they defeat you?

How come Jotho has a lot of Pokemons you can't find in Kanto, even though both regions are literally next to each other geographically speaking, and feature very similar types of environments?

Minor one: Why is Oddish twice the size of Bellossom?(size and weight never made much sense in Pokemon games, granted)

-Of course, how does the Pokemon Center earn profit if their service is always free? (Prob fixed it in later gens with the market being inside it)

I always thought it was a public service. Or that part/all the money you lose when you "black out" actually go to them(myth debunked in Gen 3).

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    In order to protect the poor Skitty's kitty, I'm gonna say artificial insemination.

As such, I'm more inclined to feel sorry for whomever the poor unfortunate soul is that has to collect the Wailord sperm.

But that's the nature of the work, innit.

Oh my God. This. I think I laughed much harder than I should have. It left me in stitches.

Years
  • 5.Mere drinks like soda and water do more healing than scientifically made potions.

There is a creepypasta theory the says Kanto was in a war during the time of the first games, so water would be more expensive since it's a vital supply for the troops (or something like that xD)

One thing I don't get is that gym leaders have total authority to refuse giving badges! Like Clair, for example, she refuses to hand it to you unless you clear *another* challenge that isn't in the gym itself... technically the trainer can be stucked forever and never compete in the leagues because some gym leader like Whitney was crying and forgot to give you the badge... It's not fair at all.

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    Best.Thread.Ever. IMO!

-Why are there multitudes of people just standing around, waiting to battle specifically you. Paying no heed whatsoever to all the other trainers right beside them. (Only once do I remember any trainers partaking in battle with one another.)

Like seriously...

-HMs. Apparently- unless you teach Lapras Surf- it just won't know how to swim and flop around like an epileptic at a rave party.

Yeah, go figure. Lapras, go surf already! (Lapras: "Wat.")

-HMs again. Why is it that you require a badge before being able to use them outside of battle? I doubt a Scyther will simply refuse to cut things unless you happen to have a tiny medallion.

Yeah, that's even worse... Charmeleon, use your fire for Flash! (Charmeleon: "You don't have the badge though!")

But know what's much worse? How the hell do badges tell the Pokemon to obey you anyways? (Random Pokemon: "Dude, you ain't got the badge to tell me what to... oh ♥♥♥♥, you do!? Well fudge! ...I was going to just lay out here in the sun and enjoy the day, bastard!")

-When you become Champion- why does nobody ever come to challenge you?

Mhm, one thing I never liked... once you become Champion, there's no additional story to it really.

-Why does Mewtwo listen to you?

-How on EARTH do you catch Arceus? It's the God of the universe.

Yeah... let's just throw this "master ball" at Mewtwo, Arceus, etc. (which how can we even be sure it would actually work under any realistic scenario?), even if it does keep them 'caught', how then, or why would any of these legendaries even bother listening?

To be fair here, in terms of Machamp... there are women that are so obsessed with weightlifting, they look like guys, so... and then some women are just born with too much testosterone or produce too much of it (and vice versa for men can be true as well).

Dark or Psychic, really... it seems like the only thing bugs should be weak to are Grass and just maybe Normal-type Pokemon.

How does wailords even fit in the daycare?

Yeah, this goes for a lot of Pokemon.

...I actually had something else to add. I forgot since making this post. Blasted.

Reactions: Nah

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Three things:

1. Why do they call Mr. Mime Mr. Mime when they can be female. Should of just called them Mime.

2. How is Jynx male... (ok... I can see how, but let's not get into that)

3. How the heck do Kangaskhan have babies...

MidnaMoon

Queen of Arendelle
    Years
  • Dark or Psychic, really... it seems like the only thing bugs should be weak to are Grass and just maybe Normal-type Pokemon.

Actually I can explain the psychic one, Dark and bug are very common fears, and fear is a weakness of the mind.

Dark is I bit harder to explain, but I mostly assume its because bugs excel at nighttime, if you open you're window at night you'll see what I mean.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    the unnecessary hms. like seriously gamefreak you guys should take a hint from many hack roms makers and just use fly and surf. give surf around the 3rdish badge and fly by the 6ish and call it a day. luckily i managed to make it through y while only needed both of them but i still ended up needing to have two hm slaves for rock smash flash and cut...

Back