• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Things You Miss from Older Gens

Pharue

Breeder, EV'er... and more?
    Years
    I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where people talked about things from some of the older generations that they thought were nice, that should've been kept. (in your opinion, of course.)

I'll even start out... I loved the PokeRadar, was definitely really good at hunting down shinies with it. Can't say that I'd dislike having it in B/W.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2011
    Biggest thing for me is the Vs. Seeker because it really helped with the leveling up.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Berserk Gene
    Pay Day Pikachu
    Missingno item duplicating exploit from first gen
    gen two's PC Pokemon copying of Gold & Silver
    buying Slowpoketail
    Curse Porygon2
    Physical Hidden Power damage
    The Chansey Dance
    Being able to teach Swords Dance to Qwilfish
    Ice Punch Gengar

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    I miss the poketch too. And it would've been nice to be able to buy stones again like in G1.

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2011
    Ability to travel to different regions
    Old elite four set up.. The new one is HORRIBLE. All the elite four is made up of i mainly psychic, ghost, and dark.
    Victory Road. B/W victory road is a joke.
    Creativity with legendaries.
    seems like all the legendaries are becoming more and more less creative, ex
    1st Gen Trio Birds were very different from each other and even had some odd creativity in the names; ArticUNO, ZapaDOS, & MolTRES (Spanish for 1, 2, & 3)
    The birds were very different physically but yet you still knew they were a group.
    The new Tornados or whatever.. What a joke. They are exactly the same with different move sets and colors and no creativity.
    AND FINALLY; A true rival. Gary vs Ash was so fun! Now you just have two annoying friends tagging along and annoying you every step of the way. Z doesnt put up much of a fight and overall isnt a challenge. (Along with your two friends)
    D;

but still i love the game just thought id tell you what i wish we still had :}

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    Vs. Seeker for me. I mean, there are trainers at the Nimbasa Stadium, but it gets boring facing the same Pokemon over and over again.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    The Game Corner, cause I've always liked the slots and the Vs. Sneeker caused it helped leveling up. And the Safari Zone. Don't know whybut I've always liked the Safari Zone.

Years
    Pokéradar. (Yeah it was sort of broken in how many shinies you could get from it. Maybe making it auto-reset when you catch a shiny would fix that.)
    Secret Bases
    The Underground
    IV battles
    Lv5 eggs

Pharue

Breeder, EV'er... and more?
    Years
    Definitely agree with most of you... don't miss secret bases/the underground/Missingno.

Can't you buy items evolution stones in Black City? (White City, I'm guessing, for those with White instead of Black?)

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    ...That's so not fair! I had to choose Black... Not only does White have Zekrom, but a forest with rare wild Pokemon? :'(

Rare, in B/W, not necessarily in general. It has Pokemon from Pidgey to Bagon to Magby depending on the people there.

Things that I miss:
    -Touchpad usage
    -Running shoes auto-on
    -Follow Me feature

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
    Years
    Vs. Seeker, Following Pokemon, Pokeathlon, Safari Zone, Pokegear, Animated gym leaders/elite four, Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu and Eevee/Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon/Espeon/Umbreon/Leafeon/Glaceon at Pokedex, Bicycle road, Running Shoes Button, Icons like Pokedex at the bottom screen instead the C-Gear.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Secret bases, Animated sprites for Gym Leaders/Elite Four, PokéNav, Old Pokémon, Level 5 newborns, Grunts using Poison types, Geodude, Zubat, Tentacool...seriously, I miss those annoying, common Pokémon.

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
    Years
    Vs. Seeker, Following Pokemon, Pokeathlon, Safari Zone, Pokegear, Animated gym leaders/elite four, Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu and Eevee/Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon/Espeon/Umbreon/Leafeon/Glaceon at Pokedex, Bicycle road, Running Shoes Button, Icons like Pokedex at the bottom screen instead the C-Gear.

I miss all those things too, except the following pokemon. It was cute on yellow, but got old fast on hg/ss. I miss the simplicity of gen 1 when all you needed was 5 stats and no genders, but I did like the breeding in gen 2

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Vs. Seeker item, and ACTUAL LEGIT CONTESTS.

What are these Musicals, that are a sad excuse for a side attraction?! ;~;

Also, I was hoping they'd keep the partner Pokemon following you in B&W, and it didn't happen.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I miss the Game Corner, the Safari Zone and the Pokeathlon from the older games. If they'll be put in the third version, I'll be happy.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Hm...

The only things I miss would be the pokéathlon and the pokéradar >>
    Oh, and I also miss the VS Seeker due to the fact that after the main game ends, the only trainers with pokémon lower than lv.60 would be the ferris wheel trainers.
    Oh, and the underground.
    ---------------------------------
    Ability to travel to different regions
    Only G/S/C/HG/SS had that ability.
    As well as FrLg

AND FINALLY; A true rival. Gary vs Ash was so fun!
    When will people realise that Games =/= Anime?
    Gary isn't Blue/Green.

Old elite four set up.. The new one is HORRIBLE. All the elite four is made up of i mainly psychic, ghost, and dark.
    What do you mean?
    There's been four different setups before that.

Level 5 newborns,
    No offence, but I can't see why people would want lv.5 eggs back >>

Animated sprites for Gym Leaders/Elite Four,
    Third version ;)

Back