• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Those pesky HM's

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
  • My Favorite HM: Probably Waterfall to be honest, it's kinda hard to use properly but if you can, it's just a really cool move. Surf is second favorite.

Least Favorite: Cut. BW only ever made you use one HM, and it had to be Cut. Why couldn't they have forced you to use Waterfall or Surf, or something that's a little better?

If cut and rock smash would just.... go away I wouldn't mind the whole concept of HMs (although I know they changed Rock Smash to a TM)

Ray F

' Friendship > Chuck Norris
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2016
    Which HM is your favorite?
    Gotta be Fly or Surf.
    Which HM is your least favorite?
    Flash or Cut I think. I liked them when I play Crystal for the first time though, but after then they just bug me.
    What do you think about HM's in general?

It's cool, using moves in real life situations. But the fact that they just increase the number of these and there's only 4 moves to teach to a Pokémon makes it a little hard which is great but also irritating.

Kristine

Pokemon Addict Since 1998
    Years
  • Which HM is your favorite?
    Fly, useful and is actually a good move in battle, too

Cut, totally pointless -_-

I think the whole concept of HMs is stupid and pointless. :| If I have a flying pokemon, it can fly regardless of whether it has Fly or not, just like water pokemon can swim whether they have Surf or not, etc. HMs should simply be tied to the pokemon and be useable if the pokemon would be able to use it once you acquire the required Gym badge. I hate having to take up part of their moveset with worthless moves just to get around in the environment. -_-

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
    Fly. It helps me get everywhere~ <3
    Flash. Why was that ever a HM?
    They're helpful, but I wish they were a little more convenient. :( HM slaves aren't my thing, and I don't like wasting move-slots. Double whammy.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Surf. Great move and easily used outside of battle.

Cut... weak and not really useful in general. I also dislike Flash. It's usually used for like one cave in the whole game and you never need it again.

I wish they would remove a few. Others are interesting, but having them in waste slots in a moveset is a hassle, so I always have at least one HM Slave, therefore filling up a spot in my party.

SolWolf

This user is over 9000!
    Years
    Fly (giving into conformity). Mostly because of the above reasons, it's useful, and a pretty decent move.
    Cut, near useless outside of battle, and even more useless in battle.
    They irritate me due to the fact you can't forget them, it makes me want to strangle people. D:<

Years
  • Which HM is your favorite? Fly for convenience and Surf for it making Water-types awesome!

Which HM is your least favorite? Cut, it's unnecessary.

What do you think about HM's in general? Not being able to delete them without a Move Deleter.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Surf. It's a very powerful water move that sweeps the field.
    Flash. Does anybody actually use this HM in battles? It's obnoxious and mostly useless.
    Helpful, but obnoxious. I wouldn't mind them if they made them easy to delete from Pokemon move sets.

Guest123_x1

Fly, because not only can you evade some attacks with it in a battle, you can use it to fly back to a city you previously visited.
    Flash, which is not all that useful other than lighting completely dark caves.
    Most of them are useful and powerful, but annoying in that you can't remove them by normal means and you have to have a certain badge to use a particular move outside of battle.

Years
    Outside of battle it's definitely Fly, but I'm more partial to Surf in battle.

Almost all of them. Most of them are useless in battle, and their spot could be taken up by something more important. All time though, my least favorite HM is Flash.

I've always hated them. As an example, in Generations III and IV, if you wanted your party of 6 to know all 8 HMs, it would take up 33% of your teams attacks. I always thought that after beating a Gym Leader, instead of them allowing access to an HM move outside of battle, they could give you an item for winning (a canoe to replace Surf, a lantern to replace Flash, etc.)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Surf! Great move, but I hate the change it got in gen IV to where it hits your partner Pokemon in double battles.

Defog because it's the most worthless piece of crap in and out of battle and shouldn't have been created. Flash is a close second.

I hate hate hate them.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Fly, imo, is obviously the best (i love flying types!). Then id have to go with surf.

I REALLY hate going through caves, so i say i hate strength, flash and rock smash a whole lot.

EDIT: cut sucks too.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Hmmm, favourite is either Surf or Fly. Both totally useful to me. Others? Not so mu--ooh, Waterfall is so awesome in B/W, or at least seems more useful to me than in other generations. :x I like the idea of outdoor waterfalls, though I'm like 99% sure that occurred in previous generations (as in waterfall outside of caves) and I'm just being bias towards B/W here lol.

HMs overall are just annoying, but on the plus side they can be really strong (surf, waterfall, strength) and are actually useful in-game, whereas Flash, Defog, etc aren't useful in-game or in proper battling so they don't even deserve to get attention in-game! :(

Back