• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Those pesky HM's

Years
    So, im sure everyone here knows about HM's. They're necessary for completing all the games.

So,
    Which HM is your favorite?
    Which HM is your least favorite?
    What do you think about HM's in general?

My answers;
    Fly

Rock Smash

I think they're pretty pointless. I also hate that you can't delete HM moves after teaching them to a Pokemon unless you go to the Move Deleter.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022

Fly. It pretty makes the Flying type mandatory on a runthrough.

I hate them all equally. Expect for Fly, it's awesome.

I find them pretty useless and irritate more that help. I did like the b/w did implement as (almost) optional.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Surf. It's basically the only useful one.
    Cut. In B/W, it has the same power and less accuracy & PP than Tackle. I also despise Rock Smash, Flash and Whirpool.
    I don't like them. The fill up movesets and you can't forget them until around the 6th badge.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Waterfall always has a special place in my heart. I loved how you had to get it in G/S

I don't really hate any of them, but if I was forced to, I'd say Defog, purely because I never really used it when it was one, I like randomly walking and hoping I'm going the right way (Flash at least had some purpose in battle with lowering accuracy, Defog had little)

Personally, I don't mind them. They are low in number at least, if they ever went above 10, then it'd be overkill, but at the moment, I have little complaints.

Years
    Surf, it's useful,and i always have a water-type
    I always disliked the Flash/Defog set, they're useless to me, and only serve the purpose of ridding a minor annoyance.
    I guess I wouldn't get rid of them if I had the choice, they make you make a tough decision, and therefore make the game a bit more challenging.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    My favorite is Fly, although Dive and Surf are close.
    My least favorite HM is Cut. It's practically useless.
    I don't like how it's complicated to delete HM moves.

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
    Fly and Surf are my favorites, mainly because they're actually good moves.
    Everything that's not Fly or Surf.
    Really, I would love the game without them (Except for Surf and Fly). I liked what they did in BW where the only one you really needed to complete the game was Surf. I hope they do that in the next gen too.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    Surf is my favourite, It allows you to skim across water, travel to new places, it also is a useful battle move with a base power of 95.

Cut, I really despise cut, its an ugly move with no real purpose than to get trees out of the way, luckily it isn't used in a major way in Black/White.

I think HM's shouldn't be implemented in game, it should rely on your skill or items that you have to overcome obstacles. But that would be too complex and so HM's are here -_- ...

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
    Surf, Waterfall, Fly.

Cut, Strength, or Rock Smash

Decent idea, some of the moves are good, but I hate having to take forever to delete them.

My favorite HM is Surf, my least favorites are everything but Surf. I don't like Fly because it's a two-turn move (I'd rather go for moves like Aerial Ace), and the others are just bleh (minus Waterfall; it's pretty good for physical waters like Feraligatr and Gyarados).

I find them pointless and unneeded in general. What really got me was HGSS, where you can't even get to Red unless you have 4 different HMs taught to your team members. I had to leave out my sixth member because I needed to bring an HM slave. =_=

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Though funny to say, Cut is my favorite HM. I like the overall action and animations assigned to it, and also that it's the most earnest early on and most undervalued later on HM in the games. It's still bad as a move to use in battle, though.
    Flash, actually. Starting off at gen II, I was annoyed with how Flash worked and on gen III I completely dumped it because I could pass anything that needed Flash without it. Also I never favored its battle use.
    Despite how many others think, they're an essential part of the gameplay. They're actually something like 'key attacks' that are used to eliminate blockers. I got used to them after a while and just accepted their role.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Surf, Fly, and Dive would have to be my favorites due to the Surf and Fly being mostly if not entirely necessary at some point not to mention they're pretty cool to have by themselves if you ask me. Dive because the diving music in RSE is good enough to warrant it lol.

Least favorites would have to be every other HM.

I don't have much of an opinion about HMs though but they should be forgettable like with TMs upon replacing one of them for a new move.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    Ok.
    Waterfall <3
    All but Waterfall and Fly. And the most annoying was Flash :@ (at least, now is a TM).
    Useless, pointless and a waste of slots on your Pokemon. Come on GF, you can do something better than HM's, right?

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    Fly. By far the most usfully as the game would take many more hours than it does with it. Very close second is surf. A very strong move that lets you acess tons of new places.

I actually like rock smash. I don't like waterfall/whirlpool/dive though. They seem pointless as I think waterpokemon should be able to naturally cross/climb/dive water obstacles. Rather than dive replace it with an item like oxygen tank and make it so I'm not wasting moves on my only water pokemon. In the S.S anne episode squirtle could automatticly climb the "waterfall".

Some I find extremly helpful (Fly,Surf) while others I don't (water HMs besides surf). Personally I missed alot of HMs while playing through games (Waterfall in White Rocksmash in Emerald, Cut in Pearl)and don't think the should be in the games. I DO THINK however they should be reqular moves pokemon can learn via TM or level up.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Favorite HMs: Surf, Fly, Waterfall. They're useful for navigating the field.

Least favorite HMs: Defog. Simply put: useless in-battle, and fog is annoying when it's in an important area, like in Turnback Cave.

What I think about HMs: I would've liked it if some of the HMs (like Rock Smash before it became a TM again and Whirlpool in HG/SS) had higher base powers.

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2023
    Hmm, my favorite HM would have to be Fly ans surf
    My less favorite would have to be Rock Smash and Defog

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Favorite HM for convenience is Fly. Surf is superior in battle, though.

My least favorites are Rock Climb and Defog as both are completely useless in battle and annoyances when you have to carry around Pokemon knowing those dumb moves just to get through an area.

I never liked HM's since I never use HM slaves. I have to give up move slots in my main party to have them equipped on my team. I especially don't like having multiple water-based HM's since that takes moveslots away from my Water-type's move roster.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    My favorite HM would have to be Surf because of it's useful in and out of battle.

My least favorite, as an HM, was Rock Smash because of it not being a move I used regularly enough in battles(since you can't have it deleted until later in the game). It's fine as a regular Tm though, imo, since I do like it's use in the games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Which HM is your favorite? Fly and surf equally, they're both very good moves and used a lot out of battle - plus Waterfall is very good too but not useful much outside of battles.

Which HM is your least favorite? Defog, it's utterly useless in every way. :p

What do you think about HM's in general? They're okay, Fly is useful and so's surf, but with the rest I think they should be optional to progress so that you don't have to give your team pointless moves. :3 Maybe only used for getting elusive items or just get rid of them all together...

=(^.^)=

Rawrr♥ PC's Snugglemonster
    Years
    In every game before 5th Gen, Surf. But now that it hurts your teammates as well..ehh...I dunno. It at least makes sense, but isn't as convenient anymore unless your teammate has water absorb or soemthing. Then 'tis really useful.

Rock smash. Always. >.> Pitiful damage, even against things it's super effective against. Or Defog/Flash. Barely ever use any of them unless I HAVE to anyways.

They're terribly inconvenient and I wish we didn't need them. It'd be nice if pokemon learned these abilities separately, not as moves that cannot be deleted.

Back