• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fandoms] Through the Stars: A Scifi club

Years
  • *Keeps forgetting to reply....* 😅

Have you ever enjoyed games, books, TV or movies that featured robots in the plot or as characters, or is robot sci-fi something you don't like to read/watch/play?

I've seen a decent chunk in the form of movies or TV-series I think, but recalling all of them is another matter =P
    *wonders if RoboCop counts* I feel like it does.
    Additionally there's I, Robot and Chappie.
    And ofc the Terminator movies.

And although not always focused on them, Stargate had the Replicators as a hostile faction/opponent, which were robots that devoured pretty much every material they could find to make more of themselves. There were even evolved/humanoid ones which were capable of independent thought at some point.

As for games... Mass Effect has the Geth... and potentially the Reapers, though those are a machine/organic hybrid.
    Clank from Rachet and Clank. Clank is just a likeable little robot.
    The Novus from Universe At War, Earth Assault. Their creators were wiped out by the Hierarchy, which is the 'bad/evil' faction of the game. This faction of machines joins in the defense of Earth to get vengeance on the Hierarchy.
    I think some of the units from the C&C Universe might be robots too, but it's hard to remember which units are actually unmanned. The King Oni from RA3 is definitely a robot though:
    Spoiler:

Have you ever used any robot devices before? If not, would you be interested in doing so in the event that you could, or do you dislike the idea?

I have a Roomba. Other than that I don't have any. I'm not bothered by the idea of small convenience robots like these.

Would you say that in our world the development of robot technology is something ultimately with good or bad implications? They can improve or even save lives, they could also replace people, or be used for darker purposes.

Pretty much depends on how they end up being used. It has the potential to go either way.

Also would you guys in future enjoy posts that now and then contain news stories like this related to astronomy, or other breakthroughs in science and technology?

The Jupiter photo's look nice, though I'm not sure where the moons are supposed to be.
    I wouldn't mind more things like these.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I don't mind seeing other things going on, either. Afaik, a little while ago one of the oldest probes that humans sent to space has left the solar system. Until then it also still kept sending data back home. Though, they did need to turn off a lot of systems just so it could remain operational.

Years
  • I have some questions dealing with the sky and space that I thought might be worthwhile discuss topics.

Have you ever witnessed any interesting displays or occurrences in the sky? It could be the aurora bourealis, an eclipse, supermoon, meteor shower, u.f.o you name it.

I watched the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn during the winter of 2020 that people nicknamed the Star of Bethlehem.

I also saw a daytime moon one afternoon in spring when my dad and I were walking back from a rock quarry in our town on his birthday. I don't know if there is a name for this, because it's not considered anything super rare, but it's still cool to see the sun and the moon in the sky at the same time in broad daylight.

What is your favorite planet? Might be an exoplanet, or one in our own solar systems, whatever pops into your mind.

As a kid I was drawn to Saturn the most with those 7 iconic icy rings. Nowadays though I am more interested in Jupiter, and would say that it's probably my favorite planet.

It might not have a ring system as large as Saturn. Jupiter's rings are fewer and fainter, mostly dust leftover from meteor impacts, but it has rings nonetheless, and an epic old song by Train to it's name! It's also a striking planet in it's own way, more than twice as big as all the other planets in our solar system combined. All those cloud bands and swirls in it's atmosphere remind me of gold marble, and it's even cooler knowing that the whirling stripes are traveling in opposite directions and at different speeds. That great red spot is hard to forget too.

Jupiter seemed like a character as soon it arrived on the scene. It's believed to have built a planet core by accumulating lots of pebbles around it. You normally don't get a great big gas giant like Jupiter by pebble accretion though, or so I heard on the Discovery Channel, instead lots of little earth-size planets usually end up developing alongside each other, but it seems that as Jupiter grew it's gravitational pull starved out everything nearby attempting to also grow, shaking other objects up and down, and pushing them out of the disc, so that only it could access the pebbles, and that's how it got the lion's share and got so fat.

I find Jupiter interesting because of how strongly it's gravitational influence is exerted throughout the solar system, it can be destructive, as we see with some of it's moons, particularly the volcanism on io, but it also can be beneficial. It's gravity did save planet earth from a mile-wide comet, breaking it into pieces and making it collide with it's own atmosphere instead, so that it was the one hit the force of 300 million atomic bombs, and not us.

Will and should humanity colonize space?

I think we probably will do so on some level, setting up a Mars colony at least seems likely. I don't know about interstellar space travel and having colonization advance to the point of Dune or Star Trek though, I see that maybe we'd attain something in the universe of Blade Runner at most.

However, I personally don't believe that our goal should be to colonize other planets actually, but rather to take care of the beautiful planet that we have. If well cared for, the Earth could potentially sustain life for another 7 billion years before the sun reaches the end of it's life span, that's plenty long. I feel like everything has it's time, and I don't believe that human beings as a species should necessarily continue on after earth is gone. Not that I think humanity will last anywhere near that long, we'd be lucky to get out of the 21st century at the rate we are contributing to the climate crisis, in addition to the growing threat of nuclear war on the horizon. However, i think that's all the more reason that we shouldn't colonize space, if we don't first learn to act responsibly here on earth.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    oo how am I not part of this? Sci-fi is probably my favorite broad genre. Especially space stuff. my PC username is partially because of Doctor Who ;)

other favorites are The Expanse (both the show and the books although I'm still on book 3), Star Trek & Star Wars (although tbh I'd call Star Wars fantasy more than scifi in many ways ahah), Iron Man in mostly every iteration, and of course some of my favorite movies: Contact and Interstellar.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I recently finished the main story of Pokemon Violett and I really liked the techy side of the endgame. In general: I like that GF is leaning more and more into these scifi-y themes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah,
    Spoiler:
    will always be fun in my book if done tastefully. In the ScaVio case it didn't mess around with logic too much or try to make paradoxes beyond the pokemon afaik? It was fine.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Have you ever witnessed any interesting displays or occurrences in the sky? It could be the aurora bourealis, an eclipse, supermoon, meteor shower, u.f.o you name it.
    I got up at 4 am on a winter's night to try to spot a blood supermoon. Has got to have been 2015 or 2016 or so. The moment I groggily stumbled into my living room and looked out the window I immediately saw it and it felt so unnatural and scary, awe-inspiring though it was. It was large and really rust red and photos didn't do justice to the sensation of standing there and watching that heavenly body look spectacular like I'd never seen it before.

Years
  • oo how am I not part of this? Sci-fi is probably my favorite broad genre. Especially space stuff. my PC username is partially because of Doctor Who ;)

other favorites are The Expanse (both the show and the books although I'm still on book 3), Star Trek & Star Wars (although tbh I'd call Star Wars fantasy more than scifi in many ways ahah), Iron Man in mostly every iteration, and of course some of my favorite movies: Contact and Interstellar.

I was hoping that the doctor would regenerate here! What a valuable addition to my crew, we need your expertise. I have recorded your name, but have a feeling that it's going to change :)

I have never watched/read The Expanse before, but now that you have mentioned it I want to check it out. The synopsis has gotten my attention, and I'm currently on a scifi/horror/fantasy binge-- when am I ever not? So I think a little season 1 is in order for me.

I recently finished the main story of Pokemon Violett and I really liked the techy side of the endgame. In general: I like that GF is leaning more and more into these scifi-y themes.

Sounds exciting! I haven't gotten Scarvio yet, but Violet is the game that i'll be playing, and my cartridge is in the mail.

The Violet cover legendary Miraidon was already the more tempting pokemon to me. Though when I realized that the theme of Scarlet and Violet would deal with the past and future respectively I felt torn because I love history as well as sci-fi. Once i saw all the paradox pokemon I made up my mind to play Violet though, I really wanted to use the different "iron" pokemon in battle.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The first book in the Expanse series is called Leviathan Wakes and is basically scifi/horror with a lot of cute character interaction that makes it feel very unique. Could be right up your alley then!

I enjoyed the book immensely even after having watched the whole tv show, and the show is very very good, also with a unique gritty yet sweet feel, so it's def a good idea to start with the visual version of the story too :)

Years
  • Scifi club topic of the moment Time Travel.

Do you fancy time travel themes in fiction?

My answers
    Spoiler:

If you had the power to travel through time would you visit another time like the past or future, if you would then what would you do with that opportunity?

Spoiler:

Years
  • There was a conjuction of Venus and Saturn recently. I got a clear as crystal view on 23rd. I had a good time staring up at the night sky in general, my eyes wandered for a good half of an hour. The constellation of Orion caught my eye. I would know the belt anywhere.

I was wondering if any other voyagers on this expedition can recognize certain stars and constellations or planets in the sky? Navigation skills are always good to have when you're flying a space ship. That's a topic question for you.

I also want to speak about the big news in the astronomy community. The Green Comet is here! Scientists didn't discover it until last March because this is a comet that is only visible once every 50,000 years. It reached it's closest point to the sun on the 12th of this month, and will make a close approach to earth on February 1st, coming within roughly 26 million miles of us, before it leaves the solar system. It may never return, and if it does then it won't be in our lifetimes, that's for sure.

So if you are on the Nothern Hemisphere and want to try to see it then tomorrow is the time, after sunset. The Green Comet will be near the North Star. If the skies are dark in your area then you might be able to see a fading patch of light in the sky with just the naked eye, and that's your comet. If you have binoculars or telescopes though you'll have the best view of course, and could see the comet's tail and the colorful green glow.

If you are in a position where you can't see anything then the virtual telescope project has you covered with a live stream. The live feed is scheduled to begin 11 p.m Eastern Standard Time on February 1 or 8 p.m. Pacific.

https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/202...with-the-earth-online-observation-2-feb-2023/

Last edited:
    Years
  • Apparently I'm pretty behind on answering the prompts >=O

Not that I can remember.

What is your favorite planet? Might be an exoplanet, or one in our own solar systems, whatever pops into your mind.

How about Earth? The poor planet has been putting up with our abuse of it for quite a while now... gotta show it some love! =D
    I don't know what else to go with for actual planets.

As for fictional planets... Gallifrey would be appealing, but more-so because of it's inhabitants.
    How about Cybertron? A metallic planet that was manufactured, with nothing but sentient robotic life on it. Sounds pretty cool.

Will and should humanity colonize space?

Probably, though it would probably be better to keep humanity's greed and more violent urges contained to this one =P

Do you fancy time travel themes in fiction?

Doctor Who is one of my favorite sci fi series =D
    Though it's usually more than 'just' time travel.

If you had the power to travel through time would you visit another time like the past or future, if you would then what would you do with that opportunity?

I'd probably take a gander in the future, to see what exciting things I'll never get to witness before the end of my life =D

Can you recognize certain stars and constellations or planets in the sky?

Nope. I've never really payed too much attention to that sort of stuff tbh.

Years

• TOPIC: Multiverse

Do you think there could be parallel worlds coexisting with ours, alternate universes where different version of ourselves can exist, and outcomes that didn't happen in our world could be realized there?

My thoughts in spoiler tags!

Spoiler:

What would you like a parallel world to be like?

Spoiler:

Is there any scfi/fantasy/horror content that you find interesting that has a theme of parallel worlds, higher dimensions or alternate realities?

Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I heard a theory that said that you, in the life you are aware of, is immortal for as long as possible. You might have died a thousand times already, just like you have seen or heard of thousands of people dying in the world around you during the time you have been alive - but you won't know that, because the only reality you notice is the one in which you survive.

Why? Because when you die, in this theory, we assume that it means the end of your consciousness for that instance. So you are only aware of the route in which you survive any given moment. The others, you just can't know. The day you finally do die, is the day when there simply was no possibility left for you to live on. Possibly of old age, or from completely hopeless situations. Meanwhile, others in their surviving timeline have watched you die already, earlier, in other ways. Anything that could have gone wrong likely has, over there. But you haven't been aware.

Just like when you die in a video game, you reload your last save or respawn with an Extra Life moments before you perished, so that things can play out slightly differently. So that you can live.

I thought that sounded pretty cool. It's called quantum immortality and relies on the many worlds theory. https://youtu.be/n7RHv_MIIT0

Back