• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

To the Staff [Forum Conversion Related]

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
  • Just to comment (Hopefully a staff member sees this), I'm willing to donate toward a Xenforo or IPB license. I can pay toward a regular forum license, but no CMS of course. Like I said in the other thread, vBulletin is in 4.1.12 atm, and 3.8 support reaches it's EOL (End of Life - Won't any longer be supported) at 4.2, so the forum software will most likely be changed soon, as well as Serebii and Smogon most likely. I grew up at this community, so I'll be completely ready to donate some money in it's evolution. I myself would prefer Xenforo > IPB but I'd be happy with either one.

Sidenote: Xenforo includes HTML5 microdata in things such as the breadcrumb that help a lot with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) so it's more healthy to the site than IPB imo, but either way it goes I'm happy to help out. I also theme for Audentio Design, a regular publisher of Xenforo themes ( https://audentio.com ) , and I'd be happy to do a free custom design for the forums if they move to the software. You can find me under the name Eric J. on the forums.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • We already have a license for vB4... upgraded to it years ago. All the admins just hate it so we're still on 3.8. :D

I don't think we'd ever really consider switching software... not anytime in the near future, anyway, since we rely quite heavily on a lot of (customized!) plugins and those wouldn't translate well. We'll probably have to upgrade to 4 eventually, but until we absolutely have to, we probably won't change.

Ooka

Years
  • Oh gawd please for the life of me don't go to a new vB. I'm sure Jake feels the same way, if he's read into IB (internet Brands, the owners of vB now) of course. Even vB owners suggest sticking with vB3.8 until vB5 is released, which isn't happening anytime soon. The creator of vB4 (Kier Darby, or at least, the designer) is the owner of Xenforo, he left vB after Jelsoft was bought out by IB, and I could quote a lot that proves they're horrible owners (IB I mean). Seriously, moving to vB4 would prove to be a horrible move for PC, anyone with half a conscious would agree. vB4 has over 200 open bug reports, while Xenforo has a little over 5 open bug reports (If that). Seriously, I'd hate to see PC move to a new vB. Even Mork saw what was coming and moved 4PG to Xenforo, and even though it's my favorite, I'd enjoy seeing them move to IPB 10x more than a move to vB4. Just my opinion here, but yeah, I want to help, but I can help in a move to a horrible software.

Ooka

Years
  • Yeah, don't get me wrong, a great job was done by Mike, Kier, and Ashley (Not to mention the other Jelsoft members), in vB3, but ugh vB4 is like, my worst nightmare. If you could stay on vB3 forever, that would be totally awesome, but the fact is you can't, and to stay updated, a new software seems like a positive move. With all the informative videos Kier has made about Xenforo, I'd say a framework could easily be created for PC, and all the themes could be converted, but I don't see any want for this reality. PC was my upbringing, as was vB, but not only is vB no longer a part of that, but I hope to not see PC fall in line. Lots of new users won't mind, but lots of old users will mind tremendously, and it's going to hurt, activity wise.

I'm sure people will create security projects for 3.8, but just like IPB1 it'll only last so long before the software evolves and people start moving on. IPB was successful in moving from free to paid for one reason, it's just not necessary to become attached to old software. :(

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Xenforo has no smilie disable option and that alone is enough to make me never want to switch to them. :( Not this early in their life, anyway. Too featureless for now.

I think we'd sooner switch to IPB than vB4 though. vB4 is just... so horrible.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    IPB is far superior in many ways to any other forum software. Other than the lack of hooks. But I don't see the point in changing anyway, a move would be doing anything but a benefit in my eyes.

Ooka

Years
  • XenForo > IPB > vB3.8 > MyBB > Insert tons of other free software here > vB4

IMO

Ooka

Years
  • Well, it's more secure than vB4 atm, but probably won't be for very long after it hits EOL.

And Xenforo may be missing certain features now, but you really have to think about the long run imo. vB hasn't had the best track record lately, and not only that, but vB4 is resource intensive, and you guys have to deal with that butt ugly ACP. xP

Years
  • What does 'no longer supported' effectively mean for the fate of vB3.8? If it means anything other than PC will no longer be able to use it, then just stick with vB3.8, it looks far better than any of the other software out there.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • Gawd, PC switching systems to anything (IPB, XF, vB4.0, etc.) would be horrible.

There would be riots in the forums.

because people lost their favorite skins

aRedMoon

Years

• Can you please provide a detailed answer as to why IPB is superior?
    There's a simple answer: it's a beast. You can do just about everything with it, and their support is amazing.

I hate the look of it, but I have to admit that IPB is hard to match.

Rukario

Banned
    Years

IMO
    what makes vB3 work so well is a) the ease of editing both themes and files, b) plugins and hacks that use simple, well placed hooks, c) a LARGE install base with tons of people helping keep it secure and modern.

You are quite wrong.. XenForo is about 2nd or 3rd behind vb3.x and even SMF is better then IPB.

PC will never consider IPB at any time, ever.

XenForo is on the table IF it evolves properly and there is an EASY vB>XF importer.

Otherwise, wi'll be on 3.8 until EOL and 3rd party people stop supporting it.. then we'll move to vB4 or whatever is out then.

aRedMoon

Years
  • there is an EASY vB>XF importer.
    There is, at least for the basic stuff. I transferred mine over from 3.8 to XF beta something, and it went fine.

And I'd argue that XF is better than vB3.8. Sure, it doesn't have all the "toys" but in terms of a core system, it's extremely powerful, even in its infancy.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • There is, at least for the basic stuff. I transferred mine over from 3.8 to XF beta something, and it went fine.

And I'd argue that XF is better than vB3.8. Sure, it doesn't have all the "toys" but in terms of a core system, it's extremely powerful, even in its infancy.

take a look at spacebattles forum.. its owned by Keir.. and its STILL in the transfer process.. it has just over 7 mil posts.. right around what we have.

No thanks.. it will need to be very automatic and quick as well as easy.

the toys and plugins / hacks as well easy editing, skinning, and the most powerful admin area is what makes vB 3.x one of the best around.. None of the other forum software presented above have these ease of use features nor the userbase of mods/hacks.

when vB4 gets back to being this easy to use, mod, etc., then we may consider upping to it

aRedMoon

Years
  • Yeah, I guess it'd take a lot longer with a forum this size. It was about 20 min for my forum, which is roughly 100,000 posts.

Ooka

Years
  • It's pretty simple, actually. Kier probably doesn't want to pay for a vB4 license, so he's having trouble there, but if you guys have one, there's a couple click converter for vB4 > XF already.

And as for which is better, that's obviously a matter of opinion, being a web designer just the look of a forum can throw me off, that couple with a horrible control panel really dent a rating for myself. That would be one of the main reasons for my ratings, behind that I've used all of them, and I can definitely say SMF isn't ahead of IPB in any way. :P MAYBE their support team, but that's just because I've never dealt with them.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • It's pretty simple, actually. Kier probably doesn't want to pay for a vB4 license, so he's having trouble there, but if you guys have one, there's a couple click converter for vB4 > XF already.

And as for which is better, that's obviously a matter of opinion, being a web designer just the look of a forum can throw me off, that couple with a horrible control panel really dent a rating for myself. That would be one of the main reasons for my ratings, behind that I've used all of them, and I can definitely say SMF isn't ahead of IPB in any way. :P MAYBE their support team, but that's just because I've never dealt with them.

SMF is free. That fact and its easy to use, quite skinable, and has a decent admin and plugin ability makes it easily beat IPB.

But yeah, you're right it is all a matter of opinion and what you've used before.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years

IMO
    Ha-ha, vB4 at the end of the list, even after MyBB... It's bad, but not that bad :p
    Yes, I personally think vBulletin 4 is an unmitigated disaster. If forced to use it, however, I would do what I can to ensure the transition goes well and that it doesn't look like a nuclear warground.
    Ha-ha-ha, Nuclear Warground, still laughing :)

Hope we never have to change, though. But if we ever do, for the love of God, don't go with vB4. That sick crap sucks balls, imo.

Apparently, everyone hates vB4. What the hell were they even thinking when they made that? vB3.8 will always be superior to anything, mainly because of it's layout. I guess I'm only saying that cause I'm immensely used to it.

Still, hope no changes are ever forced on us :)

Back