• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too many Fighting types?

Phangy

Master
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    Idk if it's just me, but it feels like there are just way too many fighting type pokemon through the whole game.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Bulbapedia says it's the 7th rarest type. With 46 pokemon.

Personally I've never felt there were too many fighting types. Normal and Water types are the most abundant types.

I think it's just you.

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • As xebellon said, it's mostly a feel that comes from having many fighting types spread over may routes, but it's not that there are many.
    To be honest considering the pokebank is coming SOON i didnt see the point of inserting those ugly sawk and troh in this game as well...

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    it's just that there are fighting pokemon in any of the three areas of kalos, that's all, It all depends on the encounter rate for each pokemon and what people find most of the time. Maybe you encounter fightning pokemon most of the time, that's all.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    It's not just wild encounters, it's also the Battle Girls and Karate guy whatever their name is. There's 2 or three in each cave. I'm too used to preping for cave with a water or grass up front and getting screwed when i get spotted by one of those a-holes.

Years
  • I have not gotten the feeling of too many fighting types. I think I run into too many Normal types. I think it's just your encounter rate. For example, when I first went through the Reflection Cave, I only ran into Mr. Mimes and hordes of Mime Jr.

Sawk and Throh should never be in same place, those jerks

Haha, I totally agree. Those guys are beefy and they hit hard..at least in my experience..

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • I have not gotten the feeling of too many fighting types. I think I run into too many Normal types. I think it's just your encounter rate. For example, when I first went through the Reflection Cave, I only ran into Mr. Mimes and hordes of Mime Jr.

Haha, I totally agree. Those guys are beefy and they hit hard..at least in my experience..

Yeah especially fighting in game if your team isn't EV trained or anything too. As everyone else said too Normal and Water are the most common types IMO. Personally I love fighting type pokemon, always interesting to see what mons are on what routes in new games.

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
    Years
  • I think that it's not so much that fighting types are too common so much that they are so prominent. 5 total types are weak to fighting, so chances are, on the average playthrough, players will have one or two Pokemon weak to it, maybe more. On top of that, they often have nasty attack stats, so when you take a hit from one, it will hurt if your Pokemon doesn't resist it.

On top of that, it's a popular type to stick onto an evolution to make it cooler:
    "How can we make this tadpole cooler and stronger? Let's make it a Fighting tadpole!"
    "How can we make this fire chicken more awesome? Make a kung fu fire chicken!"
    "How can we really make this attack-based Mega Mewtwo better? Half-Fighting, of course!"

Years
  • "How can we make this fire chicken more awesome? Make a kung fu fire chicken!"

Lol that made my day. But yeah as it has been said, its amatter of enconter rate luck and I really dislike how it has become the secondary type of choice for many pokemon now. Instead of thinking of new combinations they just stick to the formula that has worked for them since Gen III :/.

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
  • I never felt an overwhelming amount of fighting types were in the game. In fact, like everyone else has mentioned water and normal are the more common types that appear in-game

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • To be honest, I never really paid much attention to what types were most common in between trainer battles and wild encounters. Never really thought there were too many Fighting types though. Gulpin hordes on the other hand...

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2015
    I never felt an overwhelming amount of fighting types were in the game. In fact, like everyone else has mentioned water and normal are the more common types that appear in-game
    Water are the most common type in the grand scheme of things, but water types have the opposite problem to fighting types in that they are difficult to actually encounter, and usually when you do encounter then you don't have space for them.

For example, by the time you get the upgraded fishing rod and start looking for claunchers, your team is probably at such a high level that Clauncher isn't really useful. You usually might get a single easier to catch water type (your starter or something else) then you just never feel a need to replace them later in the game.

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • The game however is following the "spawn whatever is needed for the next gym" rule introduced in black & white 2
    i.e.: an entire grass filled with hawluchasand goletts and many flying pokemon just before you get to the Fighting gym
    Or an entire icy grotto filled with ice pokemon just beforre the Grass Gym city....
    There is no real gym that has a weakness against fighing types imho (other than the 2nd) so that may be the reason why fighting types are spread all over kalos

Back