• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tools or No Tools?

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    Let's just say this; hex editors are very hard to use for most of the hackers, also tools are easier to use, and if they're buggy then the owner can fix it. Simple really. :P
    Hex editors shouldn't be hard. It's just numbers, if you can't understand numbers, then something is seriously wrong. You shouldn't be labeled a hacker if you can't do something simple as a text hack via a hex editor, or repointing addresses manually, then you seriously need to either learn how, or quit.

Tools just take the data and put it in a form you can see and edit.
    But without knowing what it's doing in your ROM.
    What good is it?

Years
    Hex editors shouldn't be hard. It's just numbers, if you can't understand numbers, then something is seriously wrong. You shouldn't be labeled a hacker if you can't do something simple as a text hack via a hex editor, or repointing addresses manually, then you seriously need to either learn how, or quit.

Tools just take the data and put it in a form you can see and edit.
    But without knowing what it's doing in your ROM.
    What good is it?
    rahh neek. Even though I understand it. :/
    I'm just saying it's a start for beginner hackers. Hex is probably to complex for them.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    That defines me as a guy who doesn't know anything about hacking. But I still like to hack and hack I will. 97,42% rounded up to 97% calculated of people who are in the ROM Hacking community don't know how to use a Hex Editor including me. Those who know how to do it, I included: HackMew, JPAN, Darthatron, colcolstyles, Haku., Zeikku, D-Trogh and Sebbe, but probably there are more.

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    I don't really hesitate for knowledge of the structure of a ROM, I only want to make a hack.

There, I said it.

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011

Poryhack

March 14th
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2010
    I'm not sure if anybody actually read SCV's post but as he said, there are two groups of people.

ROM hackers are comfortable using a hex editor, debugger, RAM editor, etc to do research that will eventually result in new tools. Without these people none of you would be here today; just saying. If they happen to actually be making their own hack (which it seems like most of the time they're not, because research and development is more interesting/critical to them) it would be stupid of them to not use preexisting tools whenever possible. As I said already, there's nothing superior about a hex editor when there's already a program for the job.

ROM editors use the tools put forth by either a hacker or a third-party programmer using the hacker's work. In this sense the editor is very much limited by what the tools are capable of. Now assuming all the tools are perfect and there's a tool to edit every aspect of the game that'd be fine. But that's not the case sadly. If editors really want their hack to be perfect they almost have to become hackers. Why? For all those little things you wanna do but there's no tool for, or all those times a tool just doesn't work the way it's supposed to. The existing group of hackers can't be relied on or pressured into making you tools. It'd require an unreal amount of people and dedication to just whip out every tool you've ever had a whim for, so you ought to accept that you're the only person you can rely on to get it done.

Back