• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top 10 games to have on a deserted island

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I totally got this idea from a video. And like in the video, here's the premise. You're stranded on a deserted island that just so happens to have every console known to man kind and an internet connection (don't ask, just go with it). You can only have 10 games with you though. So what would those 10 games be? Try to keep in mind, this isn't meant to be a list of your favorite games that you just can't live without (though I totally understand if some games slide on your list for that reason). Remember that you're not going to have anyone to play with you in person, but you will be able to play online (again, don't ask, just be thankful lol). Try to think of your situation and why your games would be essential in this. And if you can't think of 10, you're free to shorten your list, but 10 is the maximum.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 10, Pokemon Gold, Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Earthbound, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

Guitar Hero and Dynasty Warriors for the multiplayer and to keep things interesting.

Assassin's Creed because it would take a very long time to explore all of the ocean and get everything perfect. Then I'd go back through and try using different weapons and stuff.

Final Fantasy, Pokemon, and LoZ because they can keep me going for at least a year a piece.

And Earthbound because I need a little scare factor but not too much because nightmares on a desolated island are no good.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 10, Pokemon Gold, Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Earthbound, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

It's much more interesting if you explain why. :(

As far as what I'd feel like I would want, I would start with the ones that I know I can play for a long time:

1. World of Warcraft
    2. League of Legends
    3. DOTA 2

Those are the three that would probably get me through a few years on their own, just with the interaction in them. Then I would do more fun games that aren't necessarily as long:

4. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    5. Final Fantasy VII
    6. Catherine

As for the rest, I can't think of ones I would want long-term, so I would fill those slots with various MMOs and multiplayer games, as that's what keeps me going in a game for a long time. Maybe Guild Wars 2, TERA, and The Old Republic?

Edit: I forgot a last one because I can't count. Aion!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm going to number mine just to keep track, but they're really in no particular order.

10. The Sims 3
    I don't have the game myself, but it would be nice to have a game where I still get to do the menial things in life through people I make. Plus, you can always create backstory to your Sims. I can't be the only one that does it, anyway.

9. Skyrim
    There's just so much to do in this game and a huge world to explore. I mean, why explore my island when I can explore SKYRIM?! That's a terrible reason. But I digress...hey! You know what? I could totally learn something from this game. Like how to kill wolves and bears and yeah probably not.

8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    This is just keeping in with the theme of doing menial things that I wouldn't be able to do anymore, but AC is still different from the Sims. I get to be CUTE with pink hair and my villagers are adorable animals. Can The Sims do THAT? No. No it cannot. Seriously though, I think that while both are very similar, they're still largely different enough to have a slightly different purpose. One does things in a simulated real world while the other is a fantasy town.

7. Mother 3
    This is my favorite game of all time, but I'm mainly putting it in here for emotional needs. This is one of the funniest games I've played, but also the saddest. Honestly, I was really upset after I beat the game for about three days. I would get sad thinking about it. But even through all that, I couldn't wait to have another playthrough...after I healed. This is mainly here to more or less ground me and keep my emotions running strong. While some of the other games on this list have emotion, none of them compare to this one.

6. Pokemon Emerald
    I find that Pokemon are the most replayable games for me, especially when I tack on a challenge to it. I actually had a tough choice in choosing one Pokemon game for this list. On one hand, I can easily breeze through Emerald as it's my favorite in the series and takes place in my favorite region. On another hand though, I really like variety in Pokemon and thought to choose Y, especially since there's online trading. I'm going with Emerald for now, but if this topic crops up again in November...I think you can guess what I'll replace this one with.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Purely because it's a favorite. At least my other favorites had a reason, but this one I can honestly say it's just here because I love it. And I guess I could expand on that and say that I love thinking about the OoT world. Not only do I find the game stimulating, but it drives my imagination wild and I can't get enough of it.

4. Dr. Mario
    I think I'd go mad without some sort of puzzle game. Sure, there are puzzles in Ocarina of Time and Mother 3 and such, but eventually, you just learn that stuff. Dr. Mario isn't learned. It keeps you on your toes and thinking, which it a must have if I'm stranded all alone.

3. Jak 3
    My favorite of the trilogy! But also a great stress reliever. I don't play FPS games, so Jak 3 is taking that place. It's a 3rd person shooter/platformer kind of deal, which I feel a lot more comfortable with. Honestly, it's just fun shooting the hell out of some enemies, whether with a gun or in one of those weird rover vehicle things in the desert. I don't know what could stress me out while I'm alone on an island, but Jak 3 would be there to help me through it. You didn't really think I'd not put a Jak game on here, would you?

2. Kingdom Hearts II
    If I'm not gonna get to watch Disney movies again, at least I'll have this. Going with the second game because 1. ♥♥♥♥ the camera in the first and 2. LION KING WORLD.

1. Mario Party 2
    If I can't party with real people anymore, at least I can party with Mario. That's really all I have to say on this one, haha.

This post is so huge I'm sorry. I just realized the #3 spot is a game with 3 in the title and the #2 spot has a 2 in the title. I didn't plan that, I swear.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    In no particular order.

Pokemon Black
    This is the Pokemon game that introduced some of my favorite Pokemon, and in my opinion has the greatest story and characters in any Pokemon game.

Persona 3: FES
    Probably my single favorite PS2 game of all time (edging out Persona 4 by virtue of P4: Golden being better). The story, characters, and even the gameplay are all very solid, and it's a game I can play over and over again.

Persona 4: The Golden
    Same reasons as Persona 3, though the gameplay of P4 (especially in The Golden) is vastly improved. Ten outta ten.

Mass Effect Trilogy
    The Mass Effect trilogy had a huge effect on me, in many ways, and it's a series I've returned to many times and will likely keep doing so in the future.

Dragon Age Trilogy
    Though there isn't a trilogy version of the Dragon Age games yet, I'm cheating a little because they do sort of form a continuous story. I love the updates to the classic CRPG formula that these games bring, and the characters and setting are top notch.

Chrono Trigger
    Defintely my favorite RPG from the 16-bit era, the variety of endings, and the great gameplay make this game one I can play over and over again.

Crusader Kings 2
    A game with LIMITLESS possibilities, and also one where you set your own goals and crap. Great times.

Recettear
    Capitalism, ho! A game I always find myself turning back to if I'm feeling sad. I just love making all the great moneys.

Skyrim
    (I'm assuming this is including several mods because shut up.) One of the most enjoyable virtual worlds to explore, there's always something to do in Skyrim.

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
    The game that introduced me to the series and a game that I still haven't discovered all of the secrets in.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'll go with anything with a lot of grind and a persistent community, like World of Warcraft and DotA 2. Planetside 2 might also be a good choice in that respect, although it may not last as long. I may not necessarily enjoy every game I choose, but it would be better than sitting around on an island, doing nothing (although in reality I'd be busy actually surviving and would have very little time for games) and they make excellent timesinks that will be active for a long time. A few singleplayer games would be great for when the online games inevitably fade... TES III: Morrowind, X3: Albion Prelude, and... probably Minecraft and the entire Souls series. Yes, the Souls games are online, strictly speaking, but they're perfectly solo-able. Lastly, I might throw in something like... one of the old Might & Magic titles; that might be an interesting experience, since I'll be forced upon the time I could take to appreciate it.

As far as what I'd feel like I would want, I would start with the ones that I know I can play for a long time:

[...]

3. DOTA 2
    But you've only got 23 hours on that!

Last edited:
    Years
    1. Rune Factory 4
    2. Etrian Odyssey IV
    3. Bravely Default
    4. Dragon Quest IX
    5. Final Fantasy IX
    6. Tales of Symphonia

The above six are long and are among my all-time favorite video games. They're long and have great plots, great soundtracks, great characters, great gameplay, etc.

7. Tales of Vesperia
    8. Pokemon Y
    9. Yggdra Union (PSP version)
    10. Summon Night: Twin Age

My reason for picking these are similar to the above, except I don't find them as enjoyable as the ones mentioned. Vesperia's an exception to this as I haven't played it yet and thus don't know how much I'd enjoy it. (Based on what I've seen and heard about it, I'd assume it'd be in the first list, but until I actually play it I can't say for certain.)

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    There is some form of order to this. Well, after the third game, there is pretty much no intended order.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles - Why wouldn't my favourite game of all time be on this list? Anyways, I love how Xenoblade got everything right. The characters are likable, a great soundtrack, and a fantastic experience overall.

2. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - SC holds a special place in my heart as it I can easily claim as my second favourite game of all time. I love this game for the same reason why I love Xenoblade, and would have no qualms in playing it over and over. ALSO SILVER WILL IS SO AMAZING.

3. Sol Trigger
    - Again, a lot of my love for this game are the same for the aforementioned two games above. But for a reason that's more original, I love the overall tone of the game despite it being slightly depressing. Also, Fran is amazing.

4. Guild Wars 2 - Hey, I need some form of social interaction now! Guild Wars 2 is a fantastic MMORPG that I wouldn't get tired of so quickly. I still need to get hit Level 80 though, and being stuck on a deserted island will definitely be a great motivator in getting there.

5. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    - I most definitely need to have a fighting game with me. UMvC3 is probably the most time I sank into a fighting game with Melee being a close second. I played so much of UMvC3 that I'm sure that I've engraved the motions for so many combos into my brain (doom TACs and lightning loops will never leave my brain haha).

6. Tales of Vesperia - Big Tales fan, so at least one of them has to be on the list. Picked Vesperia due to the vast possibilities of combos, and JUDITH <3

7. Fire Emblem: Awakening - The replay value of this game is just staggering, and I'm a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series, so this one has to be on the list. I really enjoyed Awakening, and have already done 5+ playthroughs of it, I wouldn't mind some more.

8. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - My favourite Fire Emblem of all time. Also, I played this more than ten times, and I'm still eager to go for another ten. Not bringing this game along would be insane of me.

9. Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 - I need to bring along a Pokemon game and I actually liked B2/W2 quite a lot. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think they're my favourite pair of Pokemon games. There is just a lot of things about that made me adore this game. More specifically, I loved the post-game content for this game. ALSO, THERE IS MORE THAN ONE EEVEE (outside of breeding) <3

10. Minecraft -
    HOW ELSE WILL I BUILD MY CRUDE AND SOMEWHAT OFFENSIVE STRUCTURES?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    But you've only got 23 hours on that!

Extenuating circumstances! I like the game but setting up a mouse and stuff on my laptop is a pain and I don't have the time to sink to get good at it and I only have one friend that will play with me and not often because he's too good. :(

Alkaiser

Superhero
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    No particular order:

Earthbound.
    Seiken Densetsu 3.
    Vagrant Story.
    Final Fantasy IX.
    Final Fantasy XII.
    The legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.
    Super Mario Galaxy.
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
    Persona 4 Golden.
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

All of them have tons of content. I love to replay those games and most of them are incredible long.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    Animal Crossing:New leaf
    As I do not know how long I'd be on that island and animal crossing is never ending
    Mario Sunshine
    My favorite mario game and would take me ages to compele
    Pokemon X
    would take an while to catch all pokemon in the game and catch the shinies I like
    Final Fantasy 9
    Why not ?
    Digimon World PS1
    Zelda Majora's mask
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon blue
    Luigi's Mansion
    Mario Party 4
    Sims 3

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Wario Land 4, Warioware Inc, Rhythm Heaven Fever, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros Melee, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros U, Street Fighter IV, Halo 3 and Elite Beat Agents.

Favorite games + fighting games. Online solidifies Street Fighter and Halo 3.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I would want games that would entertain me for a long time sooooo:

1.) Super Smash Bros. Melee
    My favorite addition to the Smash Bros. Saga. The fast gameplay mechanics made the game more fun than any of the others in the series and its my favorite.

2.) Pokemon SoulSilver
    Generation 2 is my favorite and the game was so fun! I loved how there were 16 gyms, you could train to defeat Red, and afterwards visit the Embedded Tower while trying to catch all of the Pokemon.

3.) Super Mario Bros. DS
    I have played through thisgame multiple times and it never gets old. Once I beat the game I would play the minigames for hours, and would eventually restart once I got bored.

4.) Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    This or Final Fantasy 3, was my favorite Final Fantasy on the Nintendo DS. The game is fun with many twists, and to complete everything would take a good 80 hours.

5.) Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    The fact that there are new additions and new outfits each day would last me for as long as I'd liked. Plus, the game is fun as well and I would have much fun designing my town.

6.) Minecraft
    As boring as the game can get, over time I would be bored anyways. So I could build new structures until I was blue in the face.

7.) Roller Coaster Tycoon
    One of the funnest series I have ever played. Building them parks would be so fun and I would spend countless hours with this.

8.) Grand Theft Auto V
    Without a doubt, I would choose this game! One of the largest maps I have played through, and so much to do!

9.) Pac-Man
    Still one of my favorite games of all time, and I would be so determined to beat it that, even though it would drive me crazy, I wouldn't stop until I made it through all 256 levels.

10.) Mortal Kombat (the original)
    I would have fun playing through the game. The series is so much fun, and my collection would be incomplete without it!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I think people are probably just going to list their favorite games, but I don't see that as what this is asking. Quality isn't the highest metric here, some combination of quality plus either length or replay value is.

A lot of online games, since it's kind of going to be your only way of communicating with anyone. To that end, maybe a popular MMO like WoW. Maybe Second Life: it's something I wouldn't traditionally play, but if I was all by myself and stranded on an island, the human element would be important to my mental state. Maybe TF2, since that seems to be resisting its age and still staying popular. Minecraft might work, though it'd be a bit of an ironic choice.

Past that, just games that I don't get sick of. Civ4-BTS, Starcraft (if I could get all of the custom UMS games I used to play), Diablo 2 + private servers, Uplink (for the IRC client). Maybe a few select games with lower replay value that I value too much not to have, like KotOR 2 and some others.

Yukari

10. Super Mario Bros.

Because I freaking love Mario

9. Minecraft

Who knows what I could build with my free time?

8. (Original) Mortal Kombat

Because Ripping out your opponent's Spine never gets old.

7. Starcraft 2

So I can Keep playing with ShadowE

6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

My favorite entry in the series.

5, 4, 3, 2 and 1. Earthbound, Megaman X, Final Fantasy 7, Ultima 7: The Black Gate, and Castlevainia: Symphony of The Night. Respectively

Because each of these are my 5 all time favorite games! In that Order. I couldn't live without them. ;-;

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm really loving this image of all these people that have an entire island to themselves, to explore and shape how they will, and they're playing video games...

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'm really loving this image of all these people that have an entire island to themselves, to explore and shape how they will, and they're playing video games...
    What's on an island? Trees and plants. Not exactly the most interesting kind of place, really.

Back