• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tough gyms

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
  • Who is the toughest gym leader you ever faced against? The most annoying? Perhaps, the easiest one?

OR....Whitney.
    She is a whole new category of derpiness: "Let's use 1000000 roullouts and then potion our way to victory!"

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2017
    Norman in emerald was the hardest gym leader I have ever faced. The easiest was Erika in blue.

Last edited:

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • Whitney and Norman both rank high up on the list of difficult gym leaders. I had always used to have trouble with Brock in Yellow too, although that tended to happen because I was a little too young to realise that sending a Pikachu and a Pidgey against an Onix and a Geodude is a terrible idea. I think that all three of these were a result of my inexperience rather than being actually difficult.

So I'll have to say Gardenia.

Her Grass type moves always seemed to have a way of slipping past a few of my team and the poisoning didn't help either. Gardenia's Roserade was truly lethal and could take on more than a few of my own Pokémon single-handedly.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Years
  • OH no. I got a ponyta with me. I was prepared. But i gotta say a though gym leader is Probably Claire (Or Clair). In a gen where ice was her ony weakness, she is a one lucky DoB

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

OH no. I got a ponyta with me. I was prepared. But i gotta say a though gym leader is Probably Claire (Or Clair). In a gen where ice was her ony weakness, she is a one lucky DoB
    but there was the ice cave, which already had pokemon viable to match the dragons after only 5 or so level-ups. Although I know what you mean. She is definitely one of the toughest 8th/final gym leaders. *cough*datKingdra*cough*

Anyway, on topic: For me, the toughest one is probably a tie between Tate&Liza and Whitney. But I'm giving the ball to Whitney. She appears only as the 3rd gym leader, but already has a pokemon packed with a pretty solid, all-around, and deadly moveset (Stomp, Attract, Rollout, and Milk Drink). Tate and Liza's case is pretty similar. The synergy between their pokemon just works so well, that if you fail to exploit their flaws and weaknesses early on, you're gonna be in serious trouble.

As for the easiest one, it's most definitely Erika. By the time you get to her, your pokemon would already be tough enough. It was almost like a side-trip just beating her. Burgh, the bug leader, at least had a Leavanny that could actually swoop magmar butt. Ramos had a Gogoat that could literally bulldoze your team. Viola, while coming in as a runner-up, had a Vivillon that had Infestation - which could still wreck those who started with a water or grass starter.

If I was to list up the best leaders according to their Gym #, then this is what it would look like:
    1st Gym - Brock / Falkner
    2nd Gym - Gardenia / Brawly
    3rd Gym - Whitney
    4th Gym - Flannery / Wake
    5th Gym - Clay / Morty
    6th Gym - Jasmine / Byron
    7th Gym - Tate & Liza
    8th Gym - Clair

I'd actually love to see them to pair up the Leaders that way. Like, first gym, you get into a double battle against Brock and Falkner. That's definitely gonna be an awesome first battle.

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Years
  • but there was the ice cave, which already had pokemon viable to match the dragons after only 5 or so level-ups. Although I know what you mean. She is definitely one of the toughest 8th/final gym leaders. *cough*datKingdra*cough*

Anyway, on topic: For me, it's probably a tie between Tate&Liza and Whitney. But I'm giving the ball to Whitney. She appears only as the 3rd gym leader, but already has a pokemon packed with a pretty solid, all-around, and deadly moveset (Stomp, Attract, Rollout, and Milk Drink). Tate and Liza's case is pretty similar. The synergy between their pokemon just works so well, that if you fail to exploit their flaws and weaknesses early on, you're gonna be in serious trouble.

I think this could have neen a pole. I shouldve done a pole in the beggining. DAMN.
    Long story short, Whitney's fat cow rolled on my Crocanaw and killed it right in front of my eyes.

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • I have had some trouble with Norman and Whitney, but I had the most trouble at Lance in G/S/C/HG/SS. I never really had a ton of trouble with him in Gen I or III though.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I have had some trouble with Norman and Whitney, but I had the most trouble at Lance in G/S/C/HG/SS. I never really had a ton of trouble with him in Gen I or III though.
    Lance... isn't a gym leader, though. And it's quite understandable to have tons of trouble with the elite four -- even with a decent team.

Years
  • Emerald has two gym leaders which I have found very challenging; Wattson and Norman.

With Norman, sometimes it feels like child abuse how hard he beats me. But seriously, it can get quite annoying, his Slaking is just a pain in the Budew. Even with fighting types, it still takes me a couple of gos to beat him which is rather upsetting and even more proof that I shouldn't really be the greatest Pokemon trainer in the world.

Wattson. Oh, Wattson. Okay, I can deal with Voltorb and Electrike fairly easily. It's just Selfdestruct can be rather irritating and damage inflicting, and more annoyingly the Static ability on Electrike. Magneton just makes sure that you are definitely annoyed by that point. Because as if being paralyzed isn't quite enough, the added effect of being confused is always great. So, you know, by the time you get to Manectric you have a Pokemon that is on low health, self-inflicting damage, and can't really move.

Yet a ground type Pokemon fixes this completely and Wattson no longer is a threat. Happy days...

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    Tate and Liza are always really scary, sometimes i just defeat them with no problem but other times they just smash my whole team

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Two of the toughest Gym Leaders that I had ever faced would have to be Clair and Wallace. And the easiest? I'm not sure… maybe Erica. d:

I've had quite a hard time taking down Clair. When I first challenged her while playing Pokémon Silver, my team consisted of Golbat, Maganium, and Raticate, who were all five to six levels higher than Clair's Pokémon. She's still managed to take them out, though. With the aid of her Dragonair's Ice Beam, it was able to defeat my Golbat quite instantly. Maganium was super-effective to ice-type attacks, but due to its massive bulk, it didn't faint as quick as Golbat. But it was defeated eventually, though. As for Raticate, Kingdra was able to have it taken down with only one Hyper Beam. Yes, one!

Wallace—I've had to re-challenge for approximately five or six times to finally have him beaten. His Milotic was very powerful defensively. To get it down to the yellow health bar, I had to strike it with countless amount of attacks. Even if I did manage to reduce its health, it would instantly restore itself with Recover, which was very frustrating. I tried to poison it once, but that ended up making the Pokémon even stronger; it had access to Marvel Scale, which would increase its defenses by about fifty-percent every time it got its status altered.

Erica was the easiest Gym Leader for me, because I was able to take down all of her Pokémon single-handedly with my Charizard. Thanks to Flamethrower, I was able to turn them into ashes within just a blink of an eye!

Last edited:

Serperion

The Fallen King
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Most difficult goes to 3 gym leaders in ascending order

3: Maylene - D/P - She wasn't necessarily the most difficult of the Sinnoh Gym Leaders but the reason why she was difficult for me was because I didn't have any Ground, Fighting or Fire types with me at the time and so I had to train a ton after losing to her Lucario which knocked out my team of 5 and took minimal damage. Although since then I've always carried one Fire type with me.

2: Cilan/Chilli/Cress - B/W
    These three are more annoying than anything, why? because I have never been able to beat any of them with just the starter alone mainly because I'm impatient and the pokemon around on Route 2 are pathetically weak. I'm always forced to use the monkey or if I picked it up Lillipup. Sigh... I miss Red version where I sweeped with the Nido- Duo.

1: Koga - R/B
    The previous statement I made I am now removing because this guy was a pain. See I didn't know you were supposed to go through Silph Co. and everything and then fight Koga because I went in the order of the badges and only did the story where necessary so when I got to Giovanni my team was already around Lv. 48-50. Sabrina isn't nearly as bad as Koga but jeez I'm glad I had over-leveled my starter because as most of you may already know, in Gen I Psychic type was OP as.

The easiest... maybe I guess Falkner

Just because of those low as levels from Gen II and they didn't really fix him or the other Johto gym leaders at all which was disappointing.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Years
  • SO it is settled. The toughest gym leader award goes to Norman, 2nd place is Clair, then Whitney, AND Tate+Liza just a lil bit behind.

The easy-peasy, derpiest gym is Erica.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • The toughest gyms in each region are

Kanto: Sabrina
    Johto: Clair
    Hoeen: Liz and Tate
    Shinoh: Bryon
    Unova: Elesa
    Kalos: Valerie

as for easiest

Kanto: Ekira
    Johto: Bugsy
    Hoenn: Roxie
    shinoh: Gardenia
    unova: Skyla
    Kalos:Wulfric

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2013
    The first Gym leader in Kalos was the toughest.. that Vivillon was too strong for half my Pokémon.... And the easiest, the Rock gym and the Grass gym, I only used one Pokémon for each of them ;)

Years
  • The toughest, and the most annoying Gym Leader for me is Whitney.

"Ok, Miltank! Use Rollout, over and over and over again to annoy our opponent! And just when they think the battle is over, I'll use Potions! Hahahahahaha!"

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen May 2, 2022
    I can't really say which one is the hardest.
    I do remember though that for some reason I had real problems defeating Elesa, the electric type gym leader of B/W.

Coincidentally the absolute easiest gym of all time was also electric type. Lt. Surge in R/B/Y is just ridiculously easy to beat. In my several playthroughs of Yellow Edition I just rarely didn't beat him with one single move...

-- Matt

Blastin'Tyruntz

Years
  • I can't really say which one is the hardest.
    I do remember though that for some reason I had real problems defeating Elesa, the electric type gym leader of B/W.

Coincidentally the absolute easiest gym of all time was also electric type. Lt. Surge in R/B/Y is just ridiculously easy to beat. In my several playthroughs of Yellow Edition I just rarely didn't beat him with one single move...

-- Matt

OH yeah i forgot about Elesa "Volt switch" from nimbassa city...i hate her.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I have terrible memories of Winona in Emerald. Damned Altaria would keep using Dragon Dance, heal, then sweep my team with Earthquake.

The easiest would have to be Roark. He just doesn't even try. Oh, and Wulfric.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    Let me see.... The easiest gyms I faced would be:

Kanto: Erika
    Johto: Falkner
    Hoenn: Norman
    Sinnoh: Garnenia
    Unova: Burg
    Kalos: Wulfric and Viola

The hardest for me would be:

Kanto: Sabrina
    Johto: Clair (all were pretty easy, until Kingdra came out)
    Hoenn: Tate and Lisa, and Winona (or however you spell them)
    Sinnoh: Volkner??
    Unova: Lenora/Charen
    Kalos: Valorie (I think that's her name. The fairy gum leader)

Back