• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Trainer using a shiny.

Years
    Last night I was watching a speedrunner casually play Gold. He got to Busgy's gym and the twins there had a shiny Spinarak! It was definitely the purple shiny version.I was very surprised!

Has anybody ever seen this before?

Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    In Generation II, Shininess is determined by the IVs of a Pokémon. If a Pokémon's Speed, Defense, and Special IVs are all 10, and its Attack IV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be Shiny. Some trainers have randomized IV's so, yeah. It's a thing.

Years
    I don't recall any NPCs in the main games have shinies. In one facility (I guess it was in Emerald?) there was a chance of running into trainers who did have shinies.

Years
    https://pokemondb.net/sprites/spinarak

Spinarak's default sprite was inexplicably purple in G/S, it might have been that

No, it was definitely the shiny version this time. I've been watching many speedruns lately and the rest of the time it was the default one.

In Generation II, Shininess is determined by the IVs of a Pokémon. If a Pokémon's Speed, Defense, and Special IVs are all 10, and its Attack IV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be Shiny. Some trainers have randomized IV's so, yeah. It's a thing.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back