• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Been meaning to buy a laptop mouse sometime this weekend or my next paycheck. Because my touchpad is acting all...dumb. Plus why am I even using the freaking touchpad, anyways?

Logitech is a pretty good brand. I have a headset.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    if I ever build a PC it will almost definitely have a Corsair case.

I wouldn't limit myself to one brand, but they definitely have some nice ones. Although if money was no issue, I would go with a Lian Li or Fractal Design case. They make some absolutely gorgeous ones and the build quality is always solid.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I dunno, I might become an extreme cheapskate and turn my laptop into a desktop.

Or maybe I won't even bother with that. A 15.6" display with the keyboard laid out exactly like a laptop and a mouse? Sounds perfect to me. It's really compact.

In the meantime, I think I'll keep browsing through product guides on various Windows machines. Still looking for the perfect tablet, and apparently the other Cherry Trail-based Windows tablets that aren't the Surface 3 are more expensive for some reason.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    I dunno, I might become an extreme cheapskate and turn my laptop into a desktop.

Or maybe I won't even bother with that. A 15.6" display with the keyboard laid out exactly like a laptop and a mouse? Sounds perfect to me. It's really compact.

If I had to go buy a desktop again, at this point I don't think that it would be worth it for me. I don't really game, so all of the horsepower is just sitting idle most of the time. My Surface Pro 3 would be plenty for 99% of what I do with my computer. A bigger screen, a dedicated mechanical keyboard and a comfortable mouse make all of the difference in the experience for me personally, and using those as peripherals for my Surface would make for just as nice of an experience, I think. It really depends on what you need the computer for, but if I recall correctly you have a pretty nicely specced laptop which should be sufficient unless you plan on doing some serious gaming.
    It really all depends on personal preference, but I think I would want a mechanical keyboard and a separate screen if I were in your position and had the money to spare.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    If I had to go buy a desktop again, at this point I don't think that it would be worth it for me. I don't really game, so all of the horsepower is just sitting idle most of the time. My Surface Pro 3 would be plenty for 99% of what I do with my computer. A bigger screen, a dedicated mechanical keyboard and a comfortable mouse make all of the difference in the experience for me personally, and using those as peripherals for my Surface would make for just as nice of an experience, I think. It really depends on what you need the computer for, but if I recall correctly you have a pretty nicely specced laptop which should be sufficient unless you plan on doing some serious gaming.
    It really all depends on personal preference, but I think I would want a mechanical keyboard and a separate screen if I were in your position and had the money to spare.

Mmm, hmm.

A desktop does take up a whole lot of space, though, especially if you opt for a non-ITX build.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    Mmm, hmm.

A desktop does take up a whole lot of space, though, especially if you opt for a non-ITX build.

Oops, I think that I wasn't clear in my wording. I was kinda arguing against buying a desktop, at least I think I was... A keyboard and a screen don't take up a tremendous amount of space. Although a tower shouldn't really be an issue either though, unless you're extremely constrained.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Oops, I think that I wasn't clear in my wording. I was kinda arguing against buying a desktop, at least I think I was... A keyboard and a screen don't take up a tremendous amount of space. Although a tower shouldn't really be an issue either though, unless you're extremely constrained.

You'd be surprised how crowded my desk is. Mostly thanks to a lot of other things that have to share desk space.

There's a whole lot of cabling behind the desk, and there's a router and a printer beside my laptop right now. Perhaps I should try rearranging them.

Years
    You'd be surprised how crowded my desk is. Mostly thanks to a lot of other things that have to share desk space.

There's a whole lot of cabling behind the desk, and there's a router and a printer beside my laptop right now. Perhaps I should try rearranging them.

Dude, rearrange your damn desk. Lol.

So I finally got my new PC and oh my god it's so much better than the toaster laptop I was using beforehand.

Feels good, man. Feels good.

turn it off and on again

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    No one seems to be inclined to make a compelling Windows tablet that has an Atom x7 that's also a better value than the Surface 3...

At this rate, I think I'll just go ahead and get a Surface 3 if things don't "improve" by early August.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    No one seems to be inclined to make a compelling Windows tablet that has an Atom x7 that's also a better value than the Surface 3...

At this rate, I think I'll just go ahead and get a Surface 3 if things don't "improve" by early August.

Wait.. Is there anything out at all with the x7 except for the Surface 3?

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    Lenovo did.

Unfortunately, that tablet is business-focused, and you know what happens to the price and amount of tablet/$.

Yeah, I see that one. Websites are saying 549 USD for the x5 model without keyboard. Ouch!

From what I can tell from news sites, Computex seems to have a few of the Cherry Trail Atoms around. Asus, HP and an Android from Acer, but I'm waiting for some more coverage. I'm very excited about Computex in general, but the problem with trade shows is that you never quite know when it will actually hit the market.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah, I see that one. Websites are saying 549 USD for the x5 model without keyboard. Ouch!

From what I can tell from news sites, Computex seems to have a few of the Cherry Trail Atoms around. Asus, HP and an Android from Acer, but I'm waiting for some more coverage. I'm very excited about Computex in general, but the problem with trade shows is that you never quite know when it will actually hit the market.

Yeah, after seeing the specifications and likely pricing, I have to say that I likely will be bothering with only the Surface 3 and the newest Transformer, due to the amount of tablet you get in either one.

I find the Surface 3 to be just perfect in terms of what I want from a tablet, and I intend to just cough up the money for the whole thing - 4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage, a matching Type Cover, and a pen. Maybe even a screen protector. Should make for a nice secondary PC.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    I find the Surface 3 to be just perfect in terms of what I want from a tablet, and I intend to just cough up the money for the whole thing - 4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage, a matching Type Cover, and a pen. Maybe even a screen protector. Should make for a nice secondary PC.

That's kinda my experience with Surface as a whole. It is just perfect for what I want. I absolutely love my Surface Pro 3 which I use as my daily driver in class and casual browsing at home. It costs a lot though. 128 GB Surface 3 with Type Cover & pen adds up quite quickly, and for that money you're still just getting an Atom, and while the new Atoms perform quite well, I would be worried about the eMMC storage which is not all that fast. For a secondary PC I would personally try to go for something cheaper, but if you have the money to spend, I don't think that you will find any 10 inch Windows tablet that is better than the Surface 3 within the near future.

Years
    If a Surface was within my budget, I'd most definitely get one. Too bad it's not, because I would really like to have one.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Now, if only I got to build both a nice desktop and a Surface 3 that's fully decked out...

Too bad that won't happen. Right?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The thing I find funny about the Surface is that they claim it can replace your laptop, when in reality their pricing, with all accessories included, is about the same price as a low-end gaming laptop or a mid-grade end-user device, both of which get you more processing power and memory. The only advantage a Surface really has is portability.

For a tablet though, the Surface is a pretty good buy.

Now if only other OEMs were stepping up their game.

Too bad no one else makes tablets that nice, or charge even more for an inferior product. (I'm looking at you, Lenovo.)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Haha, yeah. I have a Lenovo laptop that originally cost like, a lot. I can't remember the MSRP, although I think I saw it to be $1600 but I doubt that price tag.

Speaking of Lenovo and overpriced, I was browsing through the price lists for pre-built desktop systems offered by OEMs - apparently, building a desktop rig here is uneconomical at best. I've calculated the pricing and it'd be cheaper for me to just buy an i5 desktop prebuild and slap in a GTX 750 Ti or 960.

Lenovo really should reconsider their desktop warranty terms. A significantly higher percentage of their desktop PCs come with only 1 year of warranty service and packs less extras than the competition - I'd have to buy an i7 just to get 3 years.

Then again, maybe that's why they can price their products so low.

I think I'll stick with my choice of Surface 3 as my next tablet purchase.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    We were thinking about getting my mom a Surface 3 to replace her gen 1 Surface RT, it was slightly out of budget at the time. But she's probably also fine with a laptop if thats cheaper if there's any good ones.

Speaking of laptops.. I have really low space xD Like 0-6MB free, I got the disk clean-up pop up, should've freed 2GB, but seems to took up more space as I had 80MB or 11MB. I also had 11GB just a few days ago and I haven't downloaded/installed anything. I need to go through my mess of files and delete delete delete.

Years
    Lately, I've been playing with my Dell Venue 8 Pro a little more recently, and trying to figure out how I could use it to its maximum purpose. Too bad the thing doesn't seem to want to connect to the wifi at my college, despite me being right under the hotspots and having full bars. :|

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back